“What an experience!”
Review of Rockhouse Hotel

Rockhouse Hotel
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Rockhouse is a wonderful place to stay as a couple/friends getaway or family. It is absolutely beautiful. The hotel seems to be woven into the rock and water. The best vistas ever!!!

The rates at the Rockhouse are second to none. Comparable hotels are double or triple the rates. The prices at the restaurants are great also. Don't miss the Jamaican breakfast at the hotel's restaurant.

The rooms are smaller than what I am accustomed to but it was fine. We did not spend too much time in the room. Our room had an outdoor shower which was very cool.

The reason I was compelled to write this review is the service. I was visiting my father in Jamaica and we went to Rockhouse to spend a few days in Negril. When I returned to my father's house in Trelawny I realized that I left a bag in the hotel room (this was hours later). I called the Rockhouse and the person who answered the phone was aware of the items that were left behind. I was departing Jamaica the following day. She told me she would call me back. She called back with half hour and told me of the arrangements she made to have my items "pony expressed" to Montego Bay where I could retrieve them. I have traveled extensively all over the world over the past 30 years. I have NEVER seen customer service like this. When I have forgotten items in the hotel they were always "forgotten". Rockhouse gets five stars from me.I will definitely be back and will sing their praises to anyone who will listen and even those that won't.

Room Tip: I would chose any of the Villa's from 1-8. They have the best views!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank keraug
Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed 28 August 2013

First, let me tell you that the Rock House is the best hotel on the West End of Negril. On the drive in from the Mobay airport we passed all the major hotels and the Rock House is by far the most beautiful. They took great care in the design of the place so that while you are within it’s walls, you feel like you are paradise. My husband and I JUST returned from there like 2 days ago and it was so relaxing. Upon checking in we found out that we had been upgraded to a Premuim Villa from the regular one we booked. Woo Hoo! The premium villa was amazing. We could not believe how nice it was, right on the water with a private deck out front. I wish we had seen the regular villas in person. I think we might be spoiled now and won’t want to book anything less than the premium room. The property is very large, about 2-3 blocks long so if you have a room on either far end, prepare for a long walk to get to other areas.

I’ve read lots of reviews that said the food service there was super slow but we didn’t have that experience. While service was timely, the food was just eeh. We are from Chicago and have jerk chicken spots all over the place so I would say we’ve eaten a lot of GOOD jerk. The food in general at all 3 of the restaurants on site was just ok. My favorite dish was the morning porridge. SOOO GOOD! It’s also expensive to eat and drink there. They add 2 types of taxes to EVERYTHING you do so it adds up. My advice would be to sleep and relax there but venture down the road a bit to grab food, cheap rum, and $1.50 red stripes instead of paying $3.50 from the hotel. Don’t be afraid to leave the hotel. There are a few restaurants within walking distance and it’s safe to walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a water front villa and if you can afford, book a premium villa. Avoid villa 2 and 3. They a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Showgurl
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My fiancé and I stayed here for 3nights in August and we loved it. The surrounding water was so clean we couldn't stay out of it. The Push Cart Restaurant has a great menu and very friendly staff. The staff in general was very helpful. Absolutely loved the salt water infinity pool and the various spots set up along the cliffs for sun bathing. 3very lazy and relaxing days.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed at Rockhouse for 6 days and had an amazing time! The location is great, you are within walking distance of quite a few restaurants (for shopping get a driver).
We spent 2 nights in the normal rooms as the villas were fully booked. I may say that for the price and if you're just there to sleep, they are more than fine, but the experience is completely different with the premium villas!
The ocean feels like your swimming pool, you can jump in the water from many spots around the hotel. It's purely a couple's hotel so no kids running/screaming around. It was by far our most relaxing holiday ever! We loved every single bit of it and would definitely go back if we ever travel to Jamaica again. We recommended it to all our friends. From what we've seen, best couple's hotel in Negril (we haven't seen The Caves though)

Room Tip: Get the premium villa rooms!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline R
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Don't put too much stock in the whiny complainers giving this place any less than 5 stars. I believe it's always best to go on vacation with few expectations and a lot of patience. If you expect your food to come out in record speed, simply don't go to Jamaica. If you are able to relax and want to have the best experience at a beautiful and unique hotel, then go to Rockhouse. We loved everything about it; must go see for yourself.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marlyn f
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Lovely bungalows!!! Even with the shower on the outside! Go to the swimming pool area to watch the sunset, don't miss it. Great staff, great food. And with a swimming pool straigh from the mother nature: the ocean!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natacha L
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Staying at The Rockhouse is one the most relaxing vacations I have every had in my life. You have your own small hut so you are not constantly surrounded by people and the place is very small and private. Diving off of the cliffs into the water is amazing, way better than any old beach.

Each Hut is the same inside, but a little bit different private deck sitting outside the hut. We were in room 7, which is the more expensive room called a "Premium Villa", but definitely worth it. I highly recommend you go for the more expensive rooms as they are rooms 1-11 and are in a better location than the other rooms and they all have there own kind of separate sitting area. (Although anyone can use them, nobody form the other side seems to come over probably because they think they are private for the more expensive rooms) We loved our stay so much that we stayed for 2 extra nights. We moved to room 7 for those nights and that room was great as well.

I only have 3 complaints about our stay here:

1. Food is not included, even breakfast, at all. This is not a giant deal as you do have a small refrigerator in the room and can stock up on drinks and stuff. However be aware it gets rather expensive having to eat every meal out.

2. There is no coffeemaker in the room. While this does not seem like a big deal, at $400 a night I would expect a coffeemaker at least. You have to order room service every day to get coffee. Again, not a giant deal as they are fairly quick about it, but it would sure make this place top-notch if they just included a coffeemaker.

3. The pillows are quite bad. I highly recommend you bring your own if possible. I had a a hard time sleeping because of it. Although to be fair, my boyfriend did not.

Overall, one of the most relaxing vacations ever.

Room Tip: Each Hut is the same inside, but a little bit different private deck sitting outside the hut. We wer...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amaccy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#1 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Samsara Cliffs Resort
Samsara Cliffs Resort
#30 of 80 in Negril

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!