“A true paradise experience....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rockhouse Hotel

Rockhouse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Greenwich, Connecticut
“A true paradise experience....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

After seeing many photographs of the Rockhouse in travel magazines of Room 10 jutting out into the ocean. To be able to finally stay there was an absolute dream come true! My wife and I first found out about this gem of a hotel on taking a boat ride 10 years ago in Negril on a vessel named the Wildthing. It cruised by the most beautiful hotel we had ever seen.
In March of 2013...we finally were able to stay there. Upon check in we were greeted at the front desk by complimentary rumpunches and escorted to our own bungelo overlooking the ocean. And yes, our room was next to the world famous Room 10! Just like something out of a magazine.The view of the ocean was breathtaking and the staff couldn't have been lovelier.
Do remember however that the pool use and ocean swimming can be effected greatly by rough seas. As My wife and I were there during the March winds and could not use the pool during our stay or go in the ocean.
The food is amazing! Never did we have a bad meal. Remember to have lunch at the Pushcart...Snapper sandwich is to die for!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Captain Gus B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

The Rockhouse is located about an hour plus from Montego Bay. The price for 2 of us was 80 USD one way. We arranged transportation before arriving. Recommendation for Drivers are provided via the Rockhouse once you make your reservations. This resort is remote and not on the beaten path. Therefore, if you want to do a tour of any kind..its going to be very pricey. In fact, truth be told..Jamaica is very EXPENSIVE. A few examples: Jet Skiing was 120/hour. Take a taxi to the beach..it's well worth the trip and its about 7 miles from the Rockhouse. Going on the rum tour was going to cost us $130 just to get there that didn't include the tickets yada yada. We passed on it. We loved the Rockhouse but to be honest ..we got bored on the 4th day. The snorkeling was to die for which was the reason we went. The rooms were comfortable however, I suggest if you want to keep your room cool...shut the curtains and go out your sliding glass door...if you go out the other door the A/C shuts off as you exit. For those who want to see the pictures of the rooms and grounds go to Oyster.com and type in Rockhouse. It shows you exactly what you will get. Oh warning...the pool is salt water which I am not fond of when in the ocean all day...I wanted anything but salt. The caves (there is nothing to see in the caves) across from the Rockhouse seem to be the big attraction to tourists...it's rumored that Johnny Depp jumped from the cliff in Pirates of the Caribbean.. and every tour boat comes and visits this location daily. Then they go on to Rick's cafe. Rick's is a figgin tourist trap. I was told it was the best place to see the sunsets (?) ...and although the food was good...take lots of $$$$$. Rick's reminded me of Cancun at Spring Break ...keep this in mind if you're older and not into the party scene.
We went to both resteraunts at the Rockhouse. The food at the push cart is very spicy and there was not much for Vegitarians. I have a problem with eating highly seasoned foods so we ate at the main resteraunt most nights. Lobster was the best! Service is slow but you're not in NYC anymore so deal with it. The staff was extremely friendly and eager to please. opps..almost forgot to mention the yummy drinks...oh the RUM....oh soooooooooo good!

As much as I loved the snorkeling I doubt I will return to Jamaica. My main reason is the overall cost. There are nicer islands for less money out there. For those who need a TV...there is NO TV and wireless seems to be hit or miss in various locations. I didn't take a lap top but heard others complain. If for any reason you have problems walking or climbing ladders to and from the ocean....don't go. Some of the ladders were very steep and scary looking..this is also NOT a place for young children! Last but not least...the entire island of Jamaica is the honeymoon capital of the Caribbean.

Room Tip: We stayed in #13 which had a queen bed and then had a loft where my friend slept. The ladder gettin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank EquineAddict
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

This review is from the perspective of staying in and spending $385 + 20%tax + tips per night or a premium villa for a week-long honeymoon. I understand their are less expensive rooms ($125 + 20% per night) but they are stacked on top of one another so you would be at the mercy of the volume and habits of your neighbor.

Specifically my wife and I stayed in Villa #10 which definitely has one of the best views from bed and private deck overlooking the bay. We felt enough privacy but there are neighbors on both sides.

The Good:
Amazing Property | Water Access | Multiple Lounge areas along the water | Free Cooking Class | Jumping off the Rocks | Staff was friendly and helpful | Fridge in Villa

The Bad:
Extra Charges such as $15 per class or yoga and having to rent snorkel gear etc... | Cost vs Value | Isolated to resort unless a taxi is used | no cash machine on property | Having to pay for coffee in the morning |No store on site for beer, water, snacks > get taxi to stop at cash machine and store in town! | Food at restaurants is ok for one night maybe 2

Also on this "private" bay there is a famous cave for snorkeling which attracts Charters that come in everyday with groups of up to 60 people blaring music and using the boats waterslide drunk while yelling. For the first day we witnessed the spectacle it was amusing, after that it really just ruined the setting.

If I were to make a recommendation for any other couples planning a honeymoon to negril and thinking about the rockhouse, I would recommend spending 2-3 nights here max ( mind as well go for a premium villa) and then checking out another place on the island.

Room Tip: If you want the best view Premium Villa #10 delivers
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank EastCoastJedi
Charlotte_WallaceGM, General Manager at Rockhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
I would like to thank this guest for their positive comments on our amazing property and features plus complimentary weekly offerings such as our cooking classes, cocktail party and Spa sensory experience all of which greatly enhance our guest’s experience.

We are very proud of the many complimentary services provided at our hotel and we consistently are ranked as outstanding based on our value for money. Some of the complimentary services we provide our guests include a welcome cocktail, free Wi-Fi, free access to guest internet computers, complimentary weekly schedule of events including yoga introduction, spa wellness experience, manager’s cocktail party, community tour, and a cooking class. Specifically regarding our coffee at the restaurant it should be noted that the purchase of a cup of coffee is a bottomless cup

In addition to offering a complimentary Yoga class for all guests on Mondays we have endeavored to keep our classes affordable and below the average cost by charging just $15 per guest and yet providing one of the most experienced Yoga Instructors on the island.

We have considered having a cash machine on property but with just 34 rooms we do not have the volumes to justify a bank or other business installing a machine here. We do have a mini bar in each guest room which is stocked with beers and sodas and again we have made every effort to keep the prices affordable. There are also many convenience stores on the West End where we are located (one of which Weise Mart is just about 15 steps away from the hotel). We encourage our guests to use these small stores as their business goes a far way in supporting the neighborhood in which we are located.

Our hotel is located on Negril’s West End which has risen in popularity in recent years and almost rivals the famous 7-mile beach as a desirable place to stay for many budget-conscious and high-end travelers. The West End is populated by numerous restaurants, bars, boutique hotels and road-side shops and offers easy access to waters good for snorkeling and diving. I am sorry that this guest saw the hotel as being isolated as the West End is generally noted as a fun and interesting locale featuring heavily the true spirit of Jamaica and Jamaicans.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

The Rockhouse was amazing. Absolutely nothing to complain about from us.

My husband and I have just returned from a four week vacation travelling around the US, Canada and Jamaica. My second visit to Jamaica (Negril) and my husband’s first. The idea of visiting Jamaica, was in search of warm water and sunshine after our time in far Northern Canada. For our seven nights in Jamaica, I decided to split our time up with four nights at the Rockhouse and then three nights at Coco La Palm on Seven Mile Beach.

Our budget did not permit us to have the luxury of staying in a villa, so we stayed in a Studio Room. The description of these rooms on the Rockhouse website is very accurate, so I would suggest you refer to this for details. These rooms are definitely on the smaller size, but for the amount of time that you are in them, it certainly isn’t a problem. FYI, no TV. What you do need to do is, if you don’t like air-conditioning like us, is to work out the best way to get airflow into your room. We did, and we managed to keep the bugs out. The balcony is good with a water view, even though the view is not spectacular. The outdoor shower is a nice touch to the accommodation.

There is free Wi-Fi in your room, which can also be accessed around the property.

We were there during the off-season, so it was lovely and quiet. There were still people around, but you didn’t feel over crowed wherever you were. One of the great things about staying at the Rockhouse if you are looking peace and quiet, is that you are not bothered by vendors selling things, as people outside of the hotel are unable to get into the resort.

I visited the Spa for a three hour treatment and loved it. So if your budget permits, splurge on a treatment. The pool and pool bar were good. The restaurant was lovely and we had some great meals here, with several cocktails consumed each time.

All the staff that we interacted with from Reception, Gardeners, Spa, Restaurant, Bar and Transport, were great. Helpful, friendly and accommodating at all times.

Our absolute favourite thing about staying here, is climbing down the ladder and jumping straight into the water. LOVED it!

Would we stay here again, absolutely.

Regards,
Cherie
Sydney, Australia

Room Tip: Consider all your accommodation options / pricing and to decide what is the best value and is it wor...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cloves
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

We chose the studio room due to our budget, we regretted our decision as soon as we walked into the room, it was more like a motel room. Because the rooms are group together we can hear our neighbour's conversation, the sound of flushing the toilet or shower. We have a wobbly toilet, every time you sat on it, it tilts on one side. I would recommend travellers to pay a little extra for the villa so you get some privacy. However, our bed are very comfortable.

Upside of the resort: it is a beautiful place with access to the water for snorkelling, GM Charlotte was very nice and the social evening to meet the staff was a great idea. I love the fact the hotel has recycling bin in the room and support Negril foundation. Overall is good.

3 diver jerk centre and Sip & Bites both offer excellent jamaican food, and just next to the hotel. Rockhouse restaurant food are okay, you are paying mainly for the atmosphere and service.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank penpen
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Let me start by saying this is a beautiful, unique property. I have friends that have been going for the last 10+ years and I finally got around to going this week. We stayed 4 nights in a Premium Villa (#10). Given the fact that I paid nearly $500 per night (with tax) there are certain things that I expect in a property. Check out the "CONS" below for those. By implementing some minor changes for some room types (and others for all) this property could be MUCH nicer!

PROS:

Gorgeous, unique property literally on the cliffs (many rooms hanging OVER them)
Snorkel right from your room
Great food at the main restaurant and pool bar
All of the staff were very friendly and helpful
Free Yoga on Mondays - instructor was wonderful
Free mini spa treatments from 1030-1230 on Tuesdays
Cheap snorkel equip rental - $5/day
No bugs in the room. Anywhere. Quite a feat in this setting!
Private dining (no cost) at the intimate "rock" table
Nice common areas on the water
Great pool temp / setting
Best grilled fish sandwich anywhere!
Food was very good and reasonable priced at the main restaurant
VERY fresh lobster

CONS:

Bed was a bit hard and a bit lumpy
Pillows were lumpy
No body lotion in the rooms - but they do provide aloe
No service at the pool
Pool bar drinks were average at best
180 min spa package lasted 130 min
No pen/paper in the rooms
No complimentary bottled water in room
No hot water in the sink - only in the shower
Most rooms are not very private.
Some road noise

Bottom line is for $500/night I expect a certain level of amenities and service. The hotel falls short on both. For this reason I would suggest you get a less expensive (can be had for like $150/night) and enjoy the location, food, and common areas that are are also accessible to the Villa folks.

I did speak with the GM for about 20 min one night and she seemed genuinely interested in our concerns. Honestly, NONE of them are impossible or even far fetched. Implementing little things like free bottled water in the room for the Villas would go a LONG way towards people not thinking they are being nickel and dimed.

Room Tip: Villa #10 is the "honeymoon suite" but is not very private. Villa #12 is probably the mos...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lucycan
Davidson, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Rockhouse. We traveled with another couple (late 20's early 30's) and we all agree that this was the most amazing vacation we've ever been on. Privacy, turquoise water, amazing sunsets, delicious food - we didn't want to come home!!!

We pre-arranged transportation from the airport to the hotel with Kenny Tours - Kenny did not disappoint. Kenny was courteous and professional. We asked Kenny to stop so we could pick up some supplies and he knew all of the best places. We were so impressed, that we booked a tour with him later in the week. I'll post about our tour separately - don't miss Floyd's Pelican Bar!

When we got to the hotel we were greeted by Lanuna who was extremely helpful during our stay. She made reservations for us on and off the property. We could have easily eaten at The Rockhouse and the Pushcart for all of our meals, but when we decided to venture out, both Sips and Bites and Pressley's we're DELICIOUS (and within walking distance of the hotel).

We stayed in Villa #12 which was perfect for our group. The view was fantastic and we were right next door to the restaurant (which made it very convenient in the morning to grab coffee). We had our own private terrace, lounge chairs and an outdoor shower. At night we turned off all of the lights and saw shooting stars...no TV, no distractions. Peaceful, private and perfect in every way.

The Rockhouse Restaurant was excellent. I recommend the banana pancakes, peppa shrimp and blackened mahi mahi. The evening waitstaff is the BEST! Lamona took VERY good care of us - you can tell that she is a hard worker and is very passionate about her job. "Flavor" was our bartender the first night (he's hilarious) and he got us completely hooked on "JP's." This drink is not on the menu, but if your lucky ask Flavor to make you one. On Friday night we were seated at the restaurants "private table" and Oneil was our waiter - again great food and service.

We spent most of our days cliff jumping, snorkeling and sunbathing. We took a yoga class on Friday morning (great and we're not Yogi's) and everyday we went to the pool for happy hour (5-6) and sunset. From 7-8 there is live music at the Pushcart and the band really livens things up. I wish they played longer. TI, Brooklyn, Adrian...I know I'm missing some names, but the entire staff was excellent.

On Saturday we had a couples massage and Keresha and Stephanie did a wonderful job. I think I used some muscles snorkeling that I'm not used too and Stephanie worked out all of my knots. I can't remember the last time I was so relaxed. Don't miss the Caribbean Drench...

Walking around the grounds of the hotel, I love that I'd hear the employees (groundskeepers, housekeepers, waitstaff) singing. Simple and beautiful - it's the warmth of the people that truly put the Rockhouse in a class of it's own.

If you are accustomed to (and expect) all of the accoutrements of a luxury hotel, the Rockhouse might not be for you. But, if you are looking for a peaceful, authentic, beautiful Caribbean vacation look no further. The Rockhouse is simply the best!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kpanuski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#4 of 84 in Negril
Catcha Falling Star
Catcha Falling Star
#6 of 84 in Negril

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!