“Made for a perfect first trip to Jamaica!!”
Review of Rockhouse Hotel

Rockhouse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Going into this trip I was a little leery of the issues that other reviewers on Trip Advisor noted for The Rockhouse, but I went with the mindset of disregarding the very top & the very bottom of the reviews. I've now come to the conclusion that I didn't notice any of the negatives mentioned by others during my actual trip.

The hotel property was well-groomed & clean, it is obvious that the entire staff takes pride in the property & reputation of The Rockhouse. I don't believe I passed a single employee during my stay that didn't greet me in some way or ask about my well-being.

I've never stayed at a property where I was made to feel like such a part of the family!! It was wonderful!! Every one of the staff members seemed more as if they were welcoming a guest to their home rather than just doing there job. Not something you'll find in many places these days.

We stayed in a Deluxe Standard room & it was perfect for us. There was some noise from the surrounding rooms (furniture being drug across the floor & conversations), but the room is not where you spend your time on vacation. The accommodations were very clean & all of your needs were covered - from shampoo, conditioner, aloe & hand soap to bottles of water, beer & snacks in the mini-bar - honestly, I over packed believing some of these items were not going to be available. The minibar pricing for water was quite reasonable ($4 for a large bottle) - I'd likely purchase less at the store in Montego Bay the next time around.

The restaurants on site were great!! I could've handled having all my meals there if I didn't want to get out and see a bit more of Negril. There were quite a few options for food just outside the hotel property and once you get over your fear of walking along the road (perfectly safe, just stay alert!!) there are a few more options.

The pool area was great, nice & relaxing with wonderful service every day. Whether you were drinking their drinks or bringing something of your own out, they were there to serve with a smile!

The service at The Rockhouse was great!! It seemed as if they were determining our needs before we knew them!! I would recommend The Rockhouse to all my friends and family (and have been doing so)!! I will be returning there myself someday...how could I not???

As an additional suggestion, please do try and attend the Rockhouse Foundation tour (ours was on a Thursday), it was a great trip up into the mountains and it gives you a much deeper appreciation for the hotel and what they are doing in the area. The trip up to Moreland Hill School was definitely a highlight of my stay!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Erica T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,136)

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed for a week and must say, we have been to many islands and many places, but overall, the rock house rocks. They have 3 options for eating on premises, the pushcart and their restaurant which are highly rated, and the pool grill, which has authentic and great food. All the rooms on the water are great, they are on the rocks overlooking the nook they occupy. Room#10 is the best I believe. Their spa was perfect and the prices for everything were reasonable in comparison the the quality everything you receive. The only thing I thought they should have done was allow their guests to bring coffee to their rooms before going to breakfast. Other than that, it was well maintained with a great staff.

Room Tip: Room 10 is best on the water but there are a lot with great views.
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We recently returned from our third trip to the Rockhouse and it was honestly like going home! Truly the best and most relaxing vacation destination I've ever been to. The staff are phenomenal and the villas are magic. Can't wait to go back next year!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank annabelle4090
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed in a villa here for the Negril portion of our honeymoon. The villas are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Everyone kept telling me how touristy Negril is and how crowded the beach is. They weren't lying for the most part. There are some great places in Negril but in large it is quite touristy. The Rockhouse is your escape. It's very private and we did not regret staying here one bit. Our room was fantastic. We relaxed on our own deck, looming over the ocean which we could jump right into from just a few yards away. As soon as we got here, I put on my trunks and jumped off a 15' bridge into the water. There is plenty of snorkeling to do right at the resort. They rent gear for $5 a day, and there are lots of things to see just off the resort coast. The pool ends at the edge of the world here. You can watch the sunset from anywhere. We checked walked to the edge after dinner and checked out a crazy amount of stars. There is no sand beach here, but you can drive a mile into town and get to 7 mile beach if you want. We preferred staying at the hotel after visiting the crowded beach. If you want a relaxing, very romantic resort in Jamaica, stay here.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

This review is wayyyyyyyyy overdue. We've been to Negril on several occasions. At The Rockhouse and once somewhere else, on the beach. What a mistake!!!!
I'm not sure that anywhere we go on this island will compare to The Rockhouse.
The rooms (we stayed in a standard, lower floor, on the corner) are clean and large. We had a beautiful covered, private, outdoor patio within the room as well as a sitting area in front of the room. The grounds are perfectly maintained. The staff is WONDERFUL. They seem to know everyone's name which is quite amazing! Shout out to Bally and Chevon! They are fantastic. From clipping me fresh aloe daily, to having our drinks ready when we walked up to the bar - this is top notch service. No screaming kids in the pool - MAJOR plus! The security made us feel safe at all times. The restaurants on property were all delicious. As a matter of fact, the owners own a handful of restaurants in NyC - they were onsite during my stay, so we chatted a bit. Very nice guys. No wonder I felt so at home! There was always a cab waiting to jet us wherever we wanted to go. I'm only sad that I don't immediately book my next return visit upon checkout. The hotel is nearly booked solid ever time I inquire. The secret is out!

Room Tip: We stayed standard room lower on the end. Loved the private patio inside the room!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Swanky, private, and intoxicating, this hotel has been the pinnacle of relaxation for my wife and I. We have been there 3 times and can't wait to go back. We have stayed in villa 8 (1st visit, no sunset view), 10 (honeymoon visit and best view), and the closest garden room to the pool (ground floor)(upstairs guests were loud, cost effective room, far from restaurant but great pool access). All have been excellent experiences. Room service is a by slow, but this is Jamaica, they take they time-get over it.
Suggestions: the pool fare is amazing at lunch - jerk chicken and grilled mahi sandwich are staples. If you like papaya, the grannie polite is an excellent drink. If you enjoy snorkeling, swim from relaxation point North (start at the lower Villas and swim toward Pushcart and even past it). Don't expect to be well connected to the Internet.

To thoroughly enjoy this location, turn off your phone and laptop and enjoy life!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2014

So many wonderful things have been said about this hotel and I agree with all of them, so I will keep it to my *very* favorite elements:

1. The staff - the perfect balance of being attentive but not overly so. Every single person at Rockhouse is friendly. Many have an uncanny gift for remembering your name - within 24 hours I felt right at home.
2. Morning yoga overlooking the water with Fanette. I am not even a huge yoga person but she is so lovely I went every day and was surprised how much my practice progressed with her guidance.
3. The spa - of course my husband and I both enjoyed our treatments (massage for him, scrub by the sea for me - wow) but when I came back the next day with a sea urchin spine in my big toe, they took care of that as well.

We'll be back next spring.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#1 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Samsara Cliffs Resort
Samsara Cliffs Resort
#31 of 81 in Negril

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!