“This place rocks!”

Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Negril
NYC
“This place rocks!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Well worth the cash. The location, the water, the staff (chevon is the best) - truly magical! We'll be back! Only advise - you are better off eating at the little local restaurants as they are more genuine and fun!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank NicsalNyc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights at The Rockhouse - immediately upon arriving we knew we never wanted to leave. We stayed in Villa 9, considered a Garden Villa but for significantly less than the Premium villa's we didn't feel like we were missing out (that being said, if you have the budget definitely upgrade to a room with cliff access). We still had a view of the cove and the room was right by the bridge where we did (to me) a terrifying cliff jump (but I am a whimp). We loved staying on the cliff side of the Negril and didn't miss the beach at all. The guests were almost all couples but I think it could be a great location for a weekend trip with the girls. Food was great and the hotel is located within walking distance to some of the best restaurants in Negril (Presley's and Three Dives, although take a taxi to Three Dives at night). Service is definitely, um, not rushed, but coming from fast paced New Yorkers it was just the change in speed we need. We will absolutely be back!

Room Tip: Villa 9 is a great garden villa, much less then the premium villa but still great views and lovely o...
Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rachel K
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We just arrived back from a brief stay at the Rockhouse - AMAZING (first time to Jamaica). We were in villa #13. Gorgeous views, easy ocean access and beautifully furnished. This hotel is truly first class and it's the STAFF that makes it that way. From the spa, to the pool bar, to the restaurant - the Rockhouse puts their guests first. This was an anniversary trip and we booked half of our trip on Seven Mile Beach and the other half at the Rockhouse. Wish we would've booked the entire trip at the Rockhouse!!

We splurged for a villa - but we loved that every room (standard, studio, etc) had access to cliff lounges, sunset views, and the ocean. Maureen at the spa gave a blissful facial. The pool bar staff is hilarious and so welcoming. We loved meeting Charlotte - the General Manager. She is charming and accessible to all of the guests. Bravo to the Rockhouse for hiring the best of the best and for making our 10th anniversary trip so memorable.

Savannah Bells :)

Tips -
1.Villas are gorgeous - but we would stay anywhere on the property!
2. When you check in - book the Rock Table at the Rockhouse Restaurant for dinner one night. It's private and romantic. We read this tip on a previous review.
3. Book a treatment at the spa! Even if it's just a manicure - the spa should not be missed.
4. There is no extra charge for room service and we had breakfast in the villa each day.

4 Thank Savannahbells
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We spent our first 4 nights in a studio room. Room 27 is located on the top floor and is nice to have that ocean (side) view. The room is very simple and not terribly big but had everything we needed. It was very clean. There are mini fridges in the room as well.

Or 5th night we spent in a villa - number 8. There is no direct access to the ocean with the villa, however, you can walk down and use other access points. The trade off is it is tucked back and has a great view of a small cove and is secluded.

Our 6th night we spent in villa number 11. It has direct access to the ocean via the bridge. If you like bridge jumping (it is just high enough to make it a little scary) then this is a good spot for you! The other access point to the ocean is a ladder in a little cave. Very cool (kind of freaked me out if the sun wasn't shining though as it gets a little dark in there but you swim through the cave it just a few seconds). We loved this spot. When you walk to and from your room/recliner chairs the pathway is near part of the restaurant. We were not bothered at all by this. This villa also had an additional seating area which room 8 did not have. This room was not as quiet as 8 since a few people may wander through to try out a bridge jump and it also close the restuarant. We were not bothered at all by this.

We loved all of our rooms! We did the studio to save a little money and upgraded the last 2 nights. We will do this again on our next visit.

Food. Amazing! We didn't have one bad meal at Rockhouse. We loved everything and tried lots of local fare. We actually had to force ourselves to dine outside of the hotel just to say we didn't stay at the hotel the whole time. Still dreaming of all of the great food we ate!

Staff: so friendly and chill. Really make an effort to make your stay memorable.

Massage: You should not leave the Rockhouse without having a massage!! Ours was out on a cabana overlooking the cliff. Both my husand and I agreed it was the best massage we have ever had. I had Joyce and my husband had Maureen. They are both amazing!!!!

Random tips: if you use Vincent tours for your shuttle to and from the hotel preference to share with other travelers. They automatically arrange for private transportation unless you specify otherwise. Cheaper to split. Bonus: it is air conditioned.

There is no gym as of yet. We walked to a gym 5 minutes away that was good (open air so no a/c but had what we wanted - I was looking for a treadmill) and we paid $5 per person to use it for the day. We also did yoga 3 times on site. My only complaint there is that it was the same class every day - there was no variety but we still enjoyed it!

You don't really need to change money at the airport. We made the mistake of only have $20's. The front desk can exchange money but only if they have it. Save yourself the trouble and get plenty of ones/fives/tens before you leave. Stop at a grocery on your way in and get some fruit/granola bars/wine/beer on your way in and save yourself lots of money.

We are not really the type of people to go back to the same place for vaction but Rockhouse has changed that. We had the best time and cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: 27 if in a studio 11 if in a villa 8 if in a villa and want more privacy and don't care about...
4 Thank Y8128HIjessicam
Mitchellville, Maryland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Other reviews reflect correctly on the friendly staff and beautiful setting. Let me avoid irrational exuberance with a focus on staying in a “standard” room. We were in room 34, one of five “standard” rooms in a 2-story building. This is as close to the road as you can get. Road noise was not much louder than bird songs, not a problem. It is good that there is no TV in the rooms since we could hear voices from next door. From our balcony (shared with others for room access) we had a glimpse of the ocean through the palms. This was a minimally adequate size room. There was no space for chairs, just a stool that slid under the table. In contrast to some other rooms, the small bathroom had a door. Mosquito netting on the bed reminds that there must be times when it is necessary for protection.

Regarding restaurants, you can call it island attitude, but the fact remains: service is slow. Half hour wait is normal.

We were blessed with good weather, but snorkeling is dependent on good seas. There is no wave protection. They do close water access on occasion. Snorkelers should note: Fish life is better near restaurant than pool, excellent variety.

There is little useful near Rockhouse. The local “Sips and Bites” next door had undependable hours. Walking on the narrow road is not advisable. You need a car or taxi for alternatives in eating and entertainment.

1 Thank Old_Dave_MD
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 May 2014

my husband and I stayed here with some friends last year and absolutely loved it. i was hesitant at first to book here as I wanted to stay somewhere with an actual beach shore but when I actually arrived at the property all that went out the window. it is so beautiful and manicured and well laid out. we didn't book one of the amazing bungalows and just stayed in a regular room but still had a great time. the rooms were well appointed with mosquito netting over the beds. it was very romantic. the food and drinks from the pool area were delicious and reasonably priced. there was even a happy hour. the food at the restaurants were also wonderful and reasonably priced. the hotel was right across the street from some local shops and restaurants. we ate at a cafe for breakfast and at one of the restaurants for dinner. Both were delicious and cheap. The hotel is right down the street from Rick's cafe but I would not walk very far on the streets as they are narrow and barely passable by 2 vehicles at the same time. We did an excursion to Mayfield Falls which was incredibly fun. We had the place pretty much to ourselves and there was a guide who was knowledgeable about every nook of the falls. All in all the Rockhouse was wonderful. The staff was friendly and laid back but accommodating at the same time. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gatorlainey
NYC
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We really enjoyed our quick weekend get away at Rockhouse Hotel. It was our first time in Jamaica and I would absolutely return to both the country and this hotel.

This hotel is what I think all boutique hotels probably aspire to be, but mostly fail. My main concerns/complaints in boutique hotels are 1) terrible service/untrained or just disinterested staff, 2) cheap/poor quality construction materials so you feel like the hotel is a battered Ikea showroom 3) lack of cleanliness. Rockhouse suffered from NONE of these typical shortcomings. They have all of this worked out and they get it RIGHT! You feel the care of the owners and the staff in every detail, it's impressive. A cool, chic hotel vision well executed.

Rockhouse staff were all efficient & warmly courteous, from front desk, to the restaurant, to the pool, to the housekeeping staff.

We spent 2 nights in the least expensive room, a standard room, and the room itself was well designed, immaculately clean from the linens and towels to the bathroom tile to the furniture - everything was spotless (my dust and mould allergies make me very aware of cleanliness in hotels), the bathroom products are all aromatherapy and natural and very nice to use (I'm also allergic to chemical fragrances). The room has no glass, the windows are wood louvre windows with mosquito screens which I like because I never use AC (it triggers me allergies plus I find it unpleasant). BUT - the open quality of the rooms mean that you can hear your neighbors. So unfortunately we checked in on a Saturday evening and after a lovely dinner were ready to get a good nights sleep - our weekend was purely for rest & relaxation. Unfortunately, the people in the rooms below us were wanting to "party". Lots of loud chatter, smoke would waft up into our room, plus now everyone has a smart phone and a tablet it's possible to play really crappy quality music from your handheld device, which our neighbors proceeded to do. So, I was woken up by really tinny sounding music. This went on btw 10.30-11.15pm until I finally decided to call front desk and complain, and they fixed the situation by coming to the room and asking the people to turn off their music. Which was a relief and then all was quiet. The following night was Sunday and those party people had checked out, so we slept well at night, but then were forced out of our room by a couple beneath our room who played Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston etc from an iPad starting at 7.30am.

So, I decided to upgrade us for our 3rd and final night to a studio room. It was much quieter in this building. No-one played music, no-one was smoking (or at least if they were it didn't waft into our room) plus there was not a path or thoroughfare right next to our room so we didn't hear people walking past and talking. Big improvement. The rooms were also larger with a lovely ocean view and 2 balconies.

One thing about the studio room - I think the mattress might have been slightly older than in the standard room, cause it had a bit of a sag in the middle, and it killed my back. Mattress firmness is such a personal thing, but I just want anyone else who has a bad back to know the mattresses are all soft/medium firm, definitely not firm. This is an issue for my neck, but then if you add a centre sag, it's a real problem, i tossed and turned the whole night and woke up in quite a lot of discomfort until I could go do some pilates and stretch my back out. If I had been staying longer I would have asked if they can put a hard wooden board under the mattress - this solution absolutely firms up a mattress with a sagging/sloping middle, or a too soft mattress, some hotels offer this, but not all, as we checked out that day I did not get a chance to ask if Rockhouse can do this. I hope so - cause I actually really want to stay there again - everything was perfect except for the noisy neighbors in room 34 (luck of the draw really) and the sloping/saggy mattress in room 27.

The food was delicious, we ate all our meals on the property (we tried to venture off to 3 Dives but it was closed every time we walked there!).

The spa was lovely, beautifully designed and the staff were all very nice. I had a fantastic foot massage from Sharika.

The pool area is spectacular, we spent all day every day under an umbrella just reading and swimming. The ocean is warm, safe, gorgeous - there;s stairs and ladders on the cliffs to get down into the water, reminds me of bits of Sth France (around Port La Galere).

In summary:
Chic, well designed, well considered, at all room levels/price points. Super clean. Great staff. Nice bathroom products (they give you aloe lotion - excellent touch, thoughtful detail). Great food.

Bummer about this music/noise issue in the Standard/Deluxe Standard/Studio Rooms. Maybe the property could enforce a "no playing music" rule in the rooms? This wouldn't be necessary for the villas as they are all detached and don't really have close neighbors to disturb, but in the small rooms it could make a big difference. No-one should have to go to sleep and wake up to someone else's playlist pushing out of a tinny handheld device.

Room Tip: if you need quiet, standard rooms in the garden can be a bit noisy as they are closest to the recept...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlastairCookieNYC
Charlotte_WallaceGM, General Manager at Rockhouse Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
I would like to thank this guest for writing a review and for sharing her opinion on the hotel’s team being warm and efficient, and for the extremely positive ratings on our spa, food and views. We are also happy to get the specific feedback on the mattress in this specific Studio and we wish we had the opportunity to rectify this while the guest was on property. We have immediately discarded this mattress (which was quite new) and replaced it with a brand new mattress and mattress pad. We understand a good nights sleep is critical to our guests and we take very seriously their comfort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#5 of 80 in Negril
The Caves
The Caves
#6 of 80 in Negril

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!