“Vacations”

Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Franklin Park, Illinois
“Vacations”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Absolutely loved this hotel! Beautiful view from our balcony. The room was on the small size but that was fine we really weren't in it to much. They have a fantastic restaurant and bar. The food here is very, very good. The pool area and outside bar area is amazing. We loved lounging in the pool drinking dirty bananas and looking out into the sea. They have a great deal, you can rent snorkel gear for the day for $5. I absolutely recommend this hotel. The only issues we had is that it is an Eco friendly hotel. When you enter the room there is a button on the wall to turn on the a/c. When you left the room it turned itself off. The staff was understanding and wonderful about coming up and setting it so it ran constantly as it was very hot and humid. Great place to vacation.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor which I highly recommend! The hotel itself only has 34 rooms. The...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank cookingogo22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I've been coming to Jamaica for a number of years,but I've found a home at the Rockhouse Hotel, where I've stayed for the past 7 occassions, with the exceptions being when I booked a little too late and they couldn't accomodate me. That at least didn't stop me from patronizing their great restaurant. In any event, I have gotten to know and befriend the Owner Paul Salmon, as well as his brother Damion who has been the Manager. I was looking forward to seeing him on this trip but was so surprised to hear that Damion had gotten homesick and returned to his native Australia. Believe me, Rockhouse runs with the efficiency of a Swiss watch no matter who's at the helm. The staff, are truly and genuinely friendly, - not superficially so-. They are there when you need them, but give you your space. The service, the food, the rooms, and the upkeep of grounds are nothing less than 5 Star, which is what i am accustomed to as someone who's somewhat of a road warrior and Internationl frequent traveler. Alecia, one of the properties Managers has a welcome smile that would warm the most battle harded traveler. I cannot wait to return as just love this part of Negril in particular,and the Country and it's culture as a whole. Rockhouse has one of the foremost reputations on the Island for how they treat their employees, and the loyalties that work both ways. Notwithstanding there committment to supporting the community with their outreach programs. Rockhouse also has an awesome restaurant attached to the property called the Push Cart which one of my favorite hangouts. If you want to avoid the touristy drudge of Rick's cafe which is way overrated in my humble opinion, and want to eat while you witness incredible Sunsets without nonsense, hang out at the Push Cart. If you happen to be in New York the owners of Rockhouse have another awesome authentic Jamaican restaurant called Miss Lily's.
Anyway, i cannot say enough about the Rockhouse, and i highly recommend it without reservation or complaint.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 34, which is now my favorite, which has a nice view of the Ocean.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We originally were staying at another hotel, but it was too rustic for our taste. We had dinner at one of their restaurants and mentioned this to the hostess. She helped us book a villa for the rest of our vacation. The views were amazing, the water is calm and filled with corals. The manicured grounds were beautiful and it made you feel as if you were in a hidden paradise. The service was first class all the way. I'm glad we were able to stay at the Rockhouse and we will definitely make this hotel our #1 choice when visiting Jamaica.

1 Thank Gaineya
California City, California
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Serene. Picturesque. Tranquil. What an amazing experience. My new wife and I stayed at the Rockhouse Hotel for 2 nights to start off our Jamaican honeymoon. My only regret- not staying at the Rockhouse much longer. It was the perfect place to start/spend a honeymoon.

The Location- is absolutely stunning. The Caribbean green waters are filled in with patches of coral. It really cannot be beaten. The perfectly crafted stone villas blend nature and architectural beauty together. I can't imagine there are many places in the world that top the Rockhouse Hotel. This place is truly breathtakingly romantic.

The Room- We stayed in a premium villa (#3). We were very pleased with it. It seems that all premium villas have wonderful views. The patios overlook the Caribbean Sea and are perfect for lounging or eating (we ate breakfast here every morning). No villas were too far from a water entry point. The rooms are simple but include all the essentials. There is a mini fridge, a few snacks for purchase, air conditioning, sink inside villa, outside shower, and outside toilet. The toilet and shower are separate. The air-conditioning doesn't get terribly cold. I would say after running it may get to mid 70's f, but there is also an overhead fan above the bed. I'm hot natured and was able to sleep ok. The bed is also adorned with mosquito netting, which is necessary, but the mosquitos really weren't as bad as anticipated. I was never bitten and my wife was only bitten 2-3 times (not necessarily in the villa). The entire feel of the villa was authentic, romantic, and comfortable. We were very pleased.

The Staff- Everyone was fantastic and extremely welcoming. They all seemed genuinely pleased with their jobs and eager to make your stay memorable. Every time my wife and I snapped a picture, a staff member would pop up and offer to take one of the both of us. Checking in and checking out were quick and painless. The spa staff were great (honeymooners get a few little surprises). The staff were all top-notch and we have zero complaints.

The Food- We only ate at the Rockhouse Restaurant. The food was absolutely amazing. The flavor was so rich but not overbearing. We both ranked our meal as one of the top 5 best we have EVER had. I'm even salivating as I write this. Simply put, it is amazing and you must try it. The ambiance is on par with the rest of the location. You sit on the edge of a cliff overlooking the beautiful waters below. The price is what I would consider reasonable. I think for the both of us it was around $70. As mentioned above, we had breakfast delivered to our villa every morning and it was surprisingly cheap (basic stuff; eggs, bacon, pancakes- around $22). All in all, we were very pleased with the food and consider it some of the best we have ever had.

Activities- Snorkeling. This is truly paradise for snorkeling. The clarity of the water offset with the light green hue is literally something that you would see in a magazine (several magazines shoot here including Victoria's Secrets and J. Crew to name a few). There are caves that you can swim through and the sea life is vibrant all around the coral. Snorkeling is best in the morning hours, when the water is the calmest. The pool is also a wonderful place to pass the day by. It is on a low cliff's edge and faces out over the sea. There are plenty of loungers and even some adirondack chairs. It is a very cozy place. There is a grill/bar right beside it to fulfill your daily cravings. The food and drinks here was as I would expect.

Overall- My biggest regret was not staying longer at the Rockhouse Hotel. There is nothing that I would change about the Hotel. It was truly a magically and special place. I will 100% be returning in the future.

Room Tip: Stay in whatever room you can afford! The premium villas are wonderful, but I think the other option...
6 Thank G L
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here in May of 2014 to attend my sisters wedding. 80% of the guest staying at the resort were the wedding party which felt secluded, like our own party the entire stay.

To make things simple here is a Pros and Cons:

Pros-
Beautiful resort, very unique looking and experience, friends loved diving off the cliff.
Premium Villa had ample closet space and interesting outdoor shower and toilet.
Staff were more then friendly and did everything they could to ensure my sisters wedding went
flawless.
Pricing for transportation booked through hotel was competitive. Book through the hotel!
Push Cart restaurant is the best thing here! Lively, affordable, authentic Jamaican food and drinks
Happy Hour at the pool bar was appreciated. Also pool food good too. Shout out to Hotdog at the pool!
Loved the pool and pool view.
Used the spa for a pedicure lasted me a month!

Con- I would love to return to this hotel but I find almost $600 a night to stay at any hotel ridiculous, it just is too much for a room unless its is a ultra luxury resort and this is not this is unique and rustic. Barely air conditioned, I was boiling had to sleep with doors open at night. No perks with food or drinks for god sakes at least give us free coffee in the am.
Rock House restaurant, food is too expensive, $50 bucks a person for breakfast once you had some fruit, juice coffee and a omelette is also too much.

If the prices ever go down or rockhouse offers some perks especially to those paying extra for premium villas, I would gladly return.

Room Tip: Villa 3 has good views and patio area!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank irrum
Avon, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 20 June 2014

After staying at an all-inclusive club in Negril, I opted to surprise my wife with a weeks stay at the Rockhouse. I've stayed at some 4-5 star hotels/ resorts and this hotel compares very nicely with them.
We stayed shortly after a hurricane left it's mark on Negril and therefore all the amenities weren't available. Having said that, I found the hotel and grounds to be perfectly satisfactory. We stayed in one of the waterfront units and the ambiance was wonderful.
This vacation quickly became the measuring stick by which all other vacations were compared to. I would suggest to anyone that the atmosphere here cannot by beat. This is perhaps not the best bet for elder couples or children due to the cliffs.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pete G
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We only stayed at the rockhouse for 3 nights. We were on the 7 mile beach before this for 5 nights and it was so different on the west end. Not as many hustlers and much different atmosphere. The best views and food! The service was amazing as well. No complaints at all other than our sliding doors wouldn't slide very well at all. We stayed in #3 premium villa. Felt secluded which was perfect for us! We also went with the rockhouse foundation to visit a school they re built. That was an amazing eye opening experience. I think everyone should join them and do that.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with anything!
2 Thank Trock84
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#5 of 80 in Negril
The Caves
The Caves
#6 of 80 in Negril

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!