“Cliffs Trump Beach, Hands Down”
Review of Rockhouse Hotel

Rockhouse Hotel
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Negril
A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 5 January 2006

What an amazing, amazing place! When we arrived we were pleasantly upgraded to a "studio", which for $150/night, is an incredible bargain. However, if you should choose to stay at this magnificent place, there are two types of studios-- a room which is more like a regular hotel room and a private hut which is actually your own personal slice of paradise. I obviously recommend the latter (ask for any room 1-12, I believe). We stayed in Room 9 and couldn't have asked for a more perfect and romantic getaway. At night we would take a Red Stripe to one of the massage parlors overlooking the ocean or to the bridge across from our hut and bask in the tranquility of it all.

The food is a bit expensive, but excellent, as are the poolside drinks. If you want great local places to eat, Sips and Bites next door offers great breakfasts and a super-friendly staff. The staff at Rockhouse is also extremely helpful in recommending outside places to go. If you are willing to pay the extra bucks, there is really no reason to leave the Rockhouse. The beach is ok (pretty narrow and overdeveloped in Negril), but full of people trying to sell weed, etc. and less than relaxing if that's not your style. There is plenty of access to the ocean from the cliffs at Rockhouse, if that's what you're after.

Finally, the sunsets at the Rockhouse are priceless and even if you are unable to book a room at this marvelous place, I suggest to anyone visiting Negril that they go the Rockhouse at 5 pm for Happy Hour drinks by the pool, with dinner at their restaurant to follow (make reservations!).

• Stayed: December 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed 22 December 2005

We just returned from our 4-night stay at the Rockhouse. It was lovely. We opted for a studio room, which was a neat, cozy hideaway for two with a semi-outdoor shower and a balcony with beautiful ocean views. There were about 10 other couples staying at the hotel, and everyone was so happy with the place they never seemed to leave. We all sat around the horizon pool, drinks in hand, reading. A superb alternative to the all-inclusive resort.

One note: it is worth using JUTA tours for transportation from the airport instead of the company used by the hotel. We were charged half the price the hotel quoted us.

• Stayed: December 2005
16  Thank remarks57
Reviewed 9 December 2005

I highly recommend the Rockhouse. Clean, comfortable rooms, and the water is amazing - clear and warm. We were in a studio which was great. I would have preferred a villa, but they were all booked. If you want a villa, book several months in advance. I booked in August for a November trip and couldn´t get one.

We were at Beaches Negril for one day, and found the water to be far superior at the Rockhouse. The water at the beach was not clear, and the sand not the white color one associates with the Caribbean.

I wouldn´t recommend the hotel restaurant. Found the food to be mediocre and overpriced. Instead, go to Sips ´N Bites. It is located next door - to your right as you exit the hotel. The cafe offers excellent, traditional Jamaican food at very reasonable prices. Unfortunately we didn´t try this gem until the last day of our trip.

The store across the street is great for water, soda and Red Stripe. Don´t buy Jamaican rum until you get to the airport, it is much cheaper there.

Also, go snorkelling with Famous Vincent, but try to go with Vincent himself, rather than his assistant, as you can snorkel for longer.

• Stayed: November 2005
12  Thank galactico
Reviewed 30 November 2005

My wife and I just returned from our first trip to Jamaica. Our stay was 8 nights which was split starting with four nights on the cliffs and the last four on the beach. We stayed at The RockHouse Hotel on the cliffs and Idle Awhile on the beach. I will not attempt to compare the two hotels.

We flew with Delta and did not experience any delays with the airline. However, delays at Sangster International were substantial. The airport is undergoing construction to facilitate better separation and flow of arriving and departing travelers. I had read that when you enter the immigration area you need to stay to the left. Let me be more specific. If you arrive as we did with multiple flights arriving in succession you will be in line a long time no matter what you do and there is no A/C. So bring water and your patience, your driver likely knows your predicament. A pit stop before landing is not a bad idea. If I recall correctly there are three lines in the immigration area. There is one line to the far right of the room which is for Jamaica Nationals, don’t lose your place in line running to the last line on the right thinking you found a new line. Then there are two lines for other travelers. The customs form that Delta provided per family was out of date (per person form was fine), but customs was prepared for this and handed out replacement forms while you were in line. I believe the line to the left has three customs officials and the longer line to the right has four maybe five officials. The line to the right is longer. As you enter the room you tend to follow the person in front of you. The lines direction can be guided by customs officials. If you find the line is meandering to the right you will see a desk to your left. Stay to the left and see if you can exit the main line which switches from left to right based upon line length. Staying to the left will put you in what I believe is a shorter faster moving line. That is just my perception and is what someone else in the forum meant by staying left. It just was not clear until I had been through it. We lost about an hour and a half going through customs and collecting our bags.

Our first hotel in Negril was the RockHouse Hotel. They made arrangements with Kenny Tours for transportation to the hotel. We had instructions to go to desk six once we collected our baggage and proceeded to the public arrivals area. A Ms. Watson greeted us. She indicated Kenny himself would be taking us to Negril and that we had a couple minutes if we needed to fetch a drink or visit the men’s room. My wife and I both heard nature calling, if only we could have held it for a while. The bathrooms in that area of the airport are, well something worth missing. There is a stand on the road we hit on the way back which was much more pleasant. We followed Ms. Watson outside and a minute latter Kenny pulled up. We loaded up our luggage and set out for Negril. As we pulled into Negril we stopped at the Hi-Lo for some snacks, Coke and a bottle of Appleton V/X. Next time I’m adding a six pack of Guinness. The Red Stripe is great, but the Guinness is 6.5% alcohol. We bought Kenny a grape drink he wanted and we proceeded to the RockHouse. RockHouse quickly checked us in and Sheldon took our bags to Villa #19. The paths around the RockHouse grounds may seem complicated at first sight. They are lined on either side with raised planting beds and are meticulously landscaped and cared for. Our Villa had a spacious sitting area outside with a view of the ocean. While close to the pool area a decorative grape tree had been strategically planted in front to create some privacy. The villa was what you might call rustic. Fit and finish left something to be desired. You could see where areas that had been freshly varnished or painted in were not masked off or cut in properly. You did not have to look hard to see this or that the grout was not cleaned off the stone in the floors before it dried. The general construction especially in the bathroom area was very rough. If you are expecting five star accommodations, these villas are not for you. The mosquito net on the bed was a nice touch as there were gaps above and at the ends of the sliding glass doors. The louvered vents in the main door did not stay shut which hampered the small air conditioners ability to keep up with the heat. You pretty much had to leave all the blinds and doors closed all day to keep the Villa at a comfortable. The villa had open shelving for clothes and a mini fridge which came partially stocked. The outdoor shower was a nice touch. If you could overlook the rough finish, the staff did do a good job of keeping the villa clean and adding nice touches when the bed was changed; such as adding flowers. All in all not rough enough to keep one from enjoying the beauty and romance of the location.

RockHouse is a great place. I heard Wilma’s 35 foot waves took out the pool and filled the bar taking away all the snorkel gear, whatever other water gear they had and the canopy in front of the bar. With Richie and Shane manning the bar and Tony cooking some absolutely awesome lunches you would never know it. The pool was in great shape. Umbrellas and lounges provided for comfort pool side or on any one of the sunning areas spread out around the cliff line. The crystal clear waters and easy access to the ocean from these areas is a real treat. You will see sea fans, urchins and beautiful fish. The winds due to tropical storm Gamma kicked in during our first full day there. The winds made it pretty rough for snorkeling, but perfect for lying down near the pool. With the wind blowing it kept temperatures in the sun bearable (With plenty of sunscreen on.).

The first night and for all of our breakfasts on the cliffs we ate at the RockHouse’s restaurant while pricey they serve consistently good food. The service was always good as well. One thing to note in Jamaica; Do not wait for your check, it will never come. Something I noticed, but never asked about. They are not about turning tables over in Jamaica, so once you ready ask for your check and don’t be in a hurry to get it. Relax your on vacation. One really important thing to note, ask everyone in Jamaica that you meet their name. If you treat them as your bartender, maid, groundskeeper or waiter/waitress that is all you will get, unless they are really outgoing. If you ask Jamaicans their name and engage them in conversation you will see how truly beautiful these people are. Their attitudes are so easy going and happy despite the high cost of living (Minimum wage is like $40 USD a week, car loans are 25% and home mortgages can be as high as 30-40%) despite the difficult economy, turbulent politics and extreme poverty many of them live in. While staying at RockHouse we also dined at 3 Dives, Xtabi and Rick’s Café. The only place as bad as Xtabi during our eight days in Jamaica was Bar-B-Barn. We’ve been to Ireland and after a few days in Jamaica know how to enjoy ourselves in due time, but Xtabi and Bar-B-Barn were mistakes. Poorly managed, and each added new meaning to the term patience. Xtabi had empty tables when we arrived yet we were told it would be 10-15 minutes for a table. Then several items on the menu were unavailable. We got there around 8:30 PM and were not served until after 10:00 PM. Bar-B-Barn was a longer wait for food prepared not the way it was advertised or ordered. Our water and drinks were not even kept full during our wait. With the bar being your biggest profit center making your customers wait with empty glasses is just wrong. We almost left, but where are you going to go at 10:00PM (At our age after a day in the sun you just want to crash, not go somewhere else and wait)?

Rick’s Café is kind of like one of the seven wonders, it’s a place to go once as a tourist. The food was very good. This being my first time to Jamaica I cannot compare the new place to the old, but it is two stories and very nice. I would recommend heading down there well before sunset and getting a good seat to watch the diving. We ate well into the night so we missed all the action. They do have a pool and hot tub for all visitors. I did hear they suffered a little damage from Gamma, but nothing that will put a damper on your good time.

3 Dives is a must if you can get past the appearance. My wife is so used to judging places here in the states by the looks that she has trouble getting past the looks. I have done enough camping with the guys that if the food and cold beer are plentiful I am perfectly happy. 3 Dives will give you just that, great food, good portions, very cold beer and for what you get great prices. The atmosphere is just a huge bonus, IMHO.

The new restaurant at RochHouse is great. I have read mediocre reviews and do not disagree with some of the points made (price, serving size). Location, location, location. Sitting along the railing watching the sun set, then watching the Snapper eat bread thrown to them below and lastly watching the sea turtle make his nightly visit is worth it. The turquoise blue water is illuminated with a spot light and along with the food the view puts Xtabi to shame. (Don’t forget Tony’s food at the pool!)

Day five on the island and it’s off to Idle Awhile on the beach, but first a tour of the town and a little guidance from Sienna of Talk of The Town Tours. We made stops at the local market, ScotiaBank and a quick drop of the bags at Idle Awhile while Sienna gave us the lay of the land complete with an invaluable walk on the beach and some respectful insider one liners to keep the higglers at bay. ScotiaBank has a line just for exchange. The rate is better for travelers’ checks than cash when buying Jamaican Dollars. They also have plenty of US dollars for the trip back. Just keep in mind their hours are not what US banks keep. Also know Fridays are market days and pay days for a lot of people (There may be lines at the bank depending on when you go.), you may be better of at a Cambio. The new Hi-Lo is a little less crowded than the town market. I did not comparison shop, there are plenty more locals around the town market. The Hi-Lo is in a newer building with the entrance at the rear and seems a bit cleaner and less congested.

On the beach Sienna encouraged several vendors to approach. She gave us her perspective on the goods and the prices being given. Everything is negotiable in Jamaica with the exception of food. She had many more tips to share and I highly recommend her and Sala. I do not want to give away her business, I’ll leave that up to her, and regardless she is worth your time.

Idle Awhile has a tough driveway to catch, even for drivers who know it, it’s very lush around the small entrance. Looking for Charlea Inn (Closer to town) and Coco La Palm (Closer to Lucea and Bloody Bay) helps. Idle Awhile is right between the two. First impression was a tough one as there is a very stinky dumpster between the parking lot and the road. It’s a deep property and I don’t think we ever smelled it again. The office and kitchen are at the parking lot. You walk between the two to get to the rooms, then the very informal eating area and bar, then the beach. The rooms are clean. The suites are quite large, bigger than the photos on the website leave one to believe. The standard rooms are adequate in size for two. Our A/C was broken our first night (in the on position), it was promptly fixed the first day. It could have been a lot worse. Fit and finish is good. All seem to have TV’s. The suites have large balconies, room for four to eat and one to enjoy the hammock. Standard rooms have a seating area outside and the only complaint I heard was a couple switching to a suite for a inside sitting area. Suites have a kitchenette (Full size fridge, sink, coffee maker.) They also have a stove, I am not sure it is functional. I did not put a lot of time into checking this out. One of the other guests was hiring a cook named Cheesy to make dinner so I have no reason to believe otherwise. The one big suggestion I would have for the rooms is to install a hook above every bed and make mosquito netting available.

There are no fountain drinks or tapped beers at the bar/restaurant. Now that I think of it I do not remember getting a beer on tap anywhere in JA. They do have cold beer and soda. Top shelf liquor and all the classic drinks are available. The food served is well prepared, no complaints. The portions are adequate and we never had to wait very long. The area in front of the bar is a pressure treated deck with tables, chairs and a large canvas awning with a ceiling fan. It is very quaint and right on the beach. On step of the deck toward the water and your in the shady are of the beach. A few more steps and your in the sun, but still in the resorts part of the beach. If a salesmen/women enters this area unsolicited they are promptly reminded by a security guard as to the boundaries. The guard will also provide you with a beach towel, and if you treat him fairly he may bring it to you and look out after you. Not that there is a lot to worry about. The resort has lounge chairs with floats as cushions. (No need to bring any flotation) The staff at Idle Awhile is first rate. Eric is standing in for Juicy on the grounds, a very nice guy. I am not sure what happened to Juicy, many rumors going around which I do not care to spread. While it’s my first trip I did read a lot about him and spoke to guests who knew Juicy well. From what I did read and hear I hope Juicy may come back; in the interim Eric is a great guy and good with the few kids that were there. Sonya and Carlton will take good care of your needs at the bar/restaurant with a smile. Both are very engaging and have a good sense of humor and will do everything they can to make you feel at home.

First night at Idle Awhile we dined at Kuyaba. While pricy, the food, service and setting was very good. I can’t say the view compares to the cliffs, but the service and food do. They will send a car for you and pay both ways.

Second night we went to Cosmo’s. It was either Cosmo’s or Office of Nature for local fare. The food at Cosmo’s was adequate and priced right. I will warn you that you may find bones in your entrée if you have chicken. The atmosphere is similar to 3 Dives, but not quite as rustic (Lacking that little bit of extra character.)

Third night at IA we ate at Norma’s. Very similar to Kuyaba. Polished, pricey, good food. They also had a guy playing Guitar there; he called himself the Jamaican Cowboy. Very entertaining. He actual had a shirt on from the Grassroots Festival in Ithaca NY which is not far from us, he said he stayed in Trumansburg and went to the festival. I’m going to have to ask around about the Jamaican Cowboy, I have a few buddies that may have attended or played at the festival. Norma’s sent a car to get us, but we were on our own getting home. It is walking distance from IA so not a big deal.

Last night we went to check out D’Angelos. Located right above Bar-B-Barn. My wife thought it was hot up there and it did not appeal to her. There she goes again, hung up on the looks of a place. I heard great things about D’Angelos and wish we had gone as we ended up at Bar-B-Barn. Big mistake for our last night. We got there at 8 PM and were not served dinner until 10 PM. Drinks were slow to come. When I finally got my second, half way through dinner, I complained. They threw in the drink. Big deal, if they had kept my glass full I could have racked up quite a bar bill. I ordered the ribs and jerk chicken. I got barbeque ribs and chicken. I’ll never go there again. A bit of a downer for the last night. When we got back to Idle Awhile we walked next door to the Charlea Inn and got some desert. Charlea seems a little high end, collared shirts required. They put us outside which was fine. Desert and drinks were great.

Leaving Jamaica and Sangster is almost as trying an ordeal as getting there. We left at 10:45 Am for a 2:38 Flight. The first line is for your airline check-in. With Delta they had security checking baggage to be checked, carry-ons get checked latter. This was a simple open the bag hand search. If flying back to the US your bag may be tagged for your final destination, but you will end up picking up your bag as we did in Atlanta and then going through US Customs with all your bags and then rechecking your luggage and heading for your connecting departure. Back to Sangster. Once you have your boarding pass and your luggage has been checked it is off to the line for the security checkpoint into the duty free and departing flights area. This line was almost non-existent when we got to the airport, but by the time we got in the line it stretched about halfway down the airline counters area. With our flight due to start boarding in twenty minutes (1:40 PM) I approached security at the front of the line and they told me to come right to the front of the line; “No problem mon.” After passing through the doorway there are two lines for metal detectors and x-ray machines. Then the lines merge again for the immigrations line. An officer will look over your passport and take your departure form you filled out when you arrived. Then it is off to Duty-Free shopping. We bought our coffee in Negril at Sunny Side at the suggestion of Sienna from Talk of the Town Tours. We paid $17.50 USD per pound of roasted beans without having to pay the GCT tax. In the airport Duty-Free I did not have a chance to check prices on coffee. I also did not have time to comparison shop the liquor stores as there are at least three. I paid $12 each for a liter of Appleton V/X and Sangster’s Rum Cream. After finishing a quick fill-up at the liquor store we went upstairs to the departures area. Margaritaville is all the way down the end to your left, while I believe most international departures are the opposite end of the terminal. The opposite end of the terminal probably where you came in; it is right next to customs for inbound flights. You can watch travelers waiting in the same line you did when you arrived. When we left the line for inbound travelers was worse then when we arrived. They hold you behind some doors until they are ready to escort your plane load to the gate. When you finally do get to your gate do not be surprised if they are doing some random security checks and searches.

We are definitely going back, but will likely try to travel mid week to avoid customs lines. Next trip will shoot for two weeks. We loved Jamaica, especially it’s people. Ya mon. Much respect to you.

PS.. My wife asked that I make sure to mention Beezie across the road from the RockHouse. He's a nice rasta guy. She also wants people to ask him if the guy next door is still taking care of his dogs.

21  Thank Seamuis
Reviewed 29 November 2005

My husband and I, and another couple, revisited RockHouse for the second time this Thanksgiving (the other couple was visiting for the third time). The fact is, the villas are wonderful and private (we stayed in #5, our friends in #3), and the restaurant has fabulous food at reasonable prices.

We happened to be there when some great weather disturbance was going on out in the Caribbean, so that waves were crashing out over the pool and up along the cliffs. It was quite exciting to see Nature in all her power--you can see the teal blue waters any day, but not such a spectacle as this. (You can tell we're not avid sun worshippers, or this would have been more of a problem.) It's true that the staff didn't really communicate what was going on. Our villa allowed us a great view of the proceedings while being a sufficient distance to feel safe.

The location is the West End of Negril--on the main road, but out of the busy center of Negril. A short walk from the hotel is the pricey but delicious "Hungry Lion," an open, airy restaurant with Jamaican/fusion food, and an art gallery downstairs.

Jamaica is a funky place, and any traveler there should expect that "efficiency" isn't what it is at home. Accept this as part of the charm of the place, and you'll truly enjoy it.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank Eleonore
Reviewed 20 November 2005

This is one of the most wonderful places I've ever stayed. My husband and I are not "go back to" people, yet we can't wait to visit Rockhouse again!

The grounds are gorgeous with spectacular views. (One morning, I watched 3 dolphins playing in the water all thru breakfast) The landscaping is beautiful and designed with privacy and comfort in mind. They actually designed the grounds without plants that "cup", so as to attract less mosquitos. Nice attention to detail.

All of the staff were very attentive and friendly. The room was not plush, but worth what we'd paid (#33, lowest tier room). The restaurant, although significantly damaged from Hurricane Wilma, was fantastic. Every meal there was wonderful. We tend to shy away from hotel restaurants, since they're generally overpriced with mediocre food. This was very different!! We enjoyed a variety of many types of meals, and the servers were very helpful in making good menu recommendations. Everything served at the restaurant and the bar was FRESH as can be!

The pool was also damaged and closed during our stay, but the hotel (thru Kenny Tours @ Rockhouse, who are wonderful - ask for Adrian) shuttled us to a resort on the beach with a pool, hot tub, beach access, and beach bar. Not a bad tradeoff.

We took a tour inland one day with Kenny Tours, and were quite pleased. It was a full day event, and well worth it.

The most important thing about Rockhouse is the Rockhouse Foundation. Profits from the hotel fund the foundation, which funds a school in Negril. The school is just down the road, and making great strides with the help from Rockhouse. As a traveler, I'm thrilled to stay somewhere as locally responsible as here. I like that my money is helping the local children, rather than just lining a CEO's pocket. So if the drinks are a little on the pricey side, just remember, it's all for the children!

• Stayed: October 2005
9  Thank purple_petunia
Management response:Responded 29 November 2005

The Rockhouse Hotel is not a "Non-Profit" although it has established a New York based 501(c)(3) charity called the "Rockhouse Foundation" that is commited to helping children and combating endemic poverty in Jamaica. Since its inception in 2003 the foundation and hotel have invested approximately US$150,000 per year in the Negril All Age School and the Negril Pre School. The Rockhouse Hotel underwrites all administrative costs of the foundation so every cent of every donation goes directly to those in need.

Rockhouse's philosophy is about creating a sustainable and responsible balance for the guests, the staff, the environment and the community.

Rockhouse did take some damage from Hurricane Wilma to our lower restaurant deck, pool and pool bar - these areas were closed temporarily for approximately 10 days following the storm, but are now fully restored and operational.

Reviewed 30 October 2005

My family and I stayed at the Rockhouse May 18-22nd for a family members destination wedding. Lenny's Tours picked us up from the airport, reasonable price for an almost two hour drive from Montego Bay. Our driver told us about the history of Jamaica the entire ride, and pointed out interesting spots along the way. Cold Beer Joints are really cute stores on the side of the road to stop for drinks and snacks. Once we arrived at the Rockhouse, we got to our rooms and went to the pool bar for drinks and lunch. I stayed in a standard room with my sister, which was very comfortable, the beds a little hard, but the fact that they don't have TV's makes you feel like you're living in a tropical bubble during your stay.. no news to watch, or TV shows to keep you holed up in your room. The maid's always cleaned very well each day, and they were very friendly. My parents had a studio, which I found to be much nicer, and brighter because they actually had windows, but both were fine for us.
The pool was beautiful and very refreshing, loved how the water splashed up over the cliffs... and the ocean water was even better. I've never seen water so clear and calm. Swimming in the small cave under the restaurant was one of my favorite things, except for the crabs that collected all over the cliffs and stairs. The restaurant had some of the best food I've ever had, and although pricey, definitely worth it. The drinks were usually strong, we never had a problem with them being the slightest bit weak. The cocktail hour we had the night before the wedding was very nice, open bar and appetizers were very good. The day of the wedding, the hotel closed the pool early to set up and decorated the oval deck with gorgeous flowers for the sunset ceremony. The area for the reception was a perfect size for the 25 wedding guests. The food for the wedding was from the restaurant with a little more variety, still excellent.
The weather for the five days we were there was decent. The first two days we were there the weather was perfect, very hot and sunny, but the cocktail hour the night before the wedding was around the time the sun should have been setting but it poured. It cleared up quickly then an amazing rainbow made it's way amost across the entire sky. The day of the wedding was great, very hot still but breezy and the 6pm ceremony was just as the sun was setting. Everything about our stay was truly amazing, I've never seen a place like this in my life. My family would love to go back again, and Shane, the bartender was so friendly and got to know our family very well. The entire staff was personable and we never had any problems with anything. Insects were frequent in our room, but as long as you didn't leave anything open, they were fine. For cheaper alcohol, go across the street to the small convenience store, we got 6-packs of Red Stripe for $5, where at the hotel one bottle was $4.50. They also have snack foods, soda, and anything else you might need right there. We didn't get hassled too much across the street, but if you said No thanks you were left alone. Overall, this trip was 10 out of 10 for us.
We stayed at the Starfish Trelawny in Falmouth our last 4 days and I'd only recommend it for families with younger children. My sister and I (both in our 20's) were extremely bored at night... there's a club but no one ever went and their activities were for young teens/children. The restaurants were good, and the buffet okay, but nothing to brag about. The Rockhouse is a place I would definitely return to though.

• Stayed: May 2005
14  Thank Kate M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#1 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Samsara Cliffs Resort
Samsara Cliffs Resort
#30 of 80 in Negril

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!