“One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen...”
Review of Rockhouse Hotel

Rockhouse Hotel
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 31 March 2010

We booked 4 nights in a standard room after staying on the beach for 3 nights. While I loved the experience of being able to walk into the water at the beach, it's a whole different world at Rockhouse. Our room was simple, but it had everything we needed, including a little futon type couch. The bed was comfy, the sheets and blanket were super soft (great for slightly sunburned skin:) I LOVED the outdoor shower. We had a phone, which was great for a wake up call. Another couple we met who were staying in a villa said they had a radio, which would have been nice. The only thing that would have been better was having a veranda or patio, to sit outside on, so consider that when booking a room. We did have some ants who loved our toothpaste by the end of our trip, but it wasn't a big deal.
Oh! and since the doors and windows have screens and closeable shutters, you might want to bring earplugs for sleeping. The dogs nearby bark a lot and our neighbors were kind of loud while coming and going.
The pool is amazing. The staff at the pool bar, the pushcart and the restaurant are all great. The restaurant is pretty romantic, and the food is very good. Weloved the banana pancakes and the lunches by the pool. Can't wait to go again!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gointoplaya221

Reviewed 22 March 2010

We just returned from 4 nights at the Rockhouse and wish that we had stayed longer. It exceeded all of our expectations. Gorgeous room, gorgeous views, great food, lovely staff (they even printed boarding passes for us when the public computer was being used). The location is perfect--an easy walk to Rick's and a $5 cab ride to the beach. We rarely travel to the same place more than once but we will DEFINITELY return to Rockhouse.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jacquirossrose
Reviewed 11 March 2010

My husband and I just returned from a four night stay at the Rockhouse Hotel and we absolutely loved it. I do not have enough good things to say about this venue. We actually traveled there for a friend's wedding; however, it is definitely a place we would visit again on our own. Contrary to most resort websites, the Rockhouse is actually more beautiful in person than the pictures reveal on the website.

The Rockhouse really appealed to us because of it's size, cleanliness, well maintained grounds, fantastic service and friendly staff, adult only, and we did not feel like we broke the bank when staying there. We chose to stay in the Standard room which was about $150 + tax a night which was simple but lovely. The only thing missing was a view, but we did not feel like it was worth paying the additional $200 just to wake up to a view as we enjoyed going to get our freshly brewed Blue Mountain Coffee every morning and walking around the grounds. The only complaint I have, which I was aware of from other reviews on Tripadvisor thus I prepared myself, were the barking dogs. Luckily I brought ear plugs along and they blocked out all the noise. I highly doubt that the dogs are going anywhere anytime soon so I recommend ear plugs to anyone staying in the Standard Rooms or Suites.

All the food we ate at the resort was delicious; however, if you would like to explore another restaurant I suggest the Hungry Lion for dinner which is just half a mile down the road. Also if you want to explore the area I suggest taking a taxi to 7 mile beach - it's a great place to walk, stop for a drink, or relax on the beach.

The only other place that my husband and I have stayed in Jamaica is the Royal Plantation on our honeymoon. While we fell in love with this resort too, we agreed that The Rockhouse is more our style. I don't know whether I would honeymoon there, but it definitely is a romantic setting for both young and old couples to enjoy.

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank chgerl
Reviewed 5 March 2010

i was thrilled with this hotel. It is quiet and peaceful. I loved listening to the close proximity of the waves. I was not bothered by no sand or beach because the ocean was right there and you could dive off and snorkle in the caves and deep ocean right off your room. The area is hidden behind a wall of gardens and flowers and stone. so it is just you and the sunset... no one bothered us. The staff were pretty good... The rock house restaurant staff I found a little haughty and rarely did you see a smile on any of the faces. No coffee pots in room so yo had to pay $3.00/cup or $8.00 per carafe every morning for coffee. But it is wonderful to sit and watch the sunrise on your porch with a pot of coffee. The food was pricey all over Negril... but good. I recommend Push Cart, the Rock house restaurant, The HUngry Lion( vegetarian) and Kuyabe. I did not care at all for Cosmos even though it was recommended.
If you can visit the spa... The ladies in the spa were the most wonderful people I have had the pleasure to meet. Very warm and caring. That was one of my favorite times there. The days we were there the surf was choppy and rough so we could not get in but it was still good to listen to the rough waves at night. you are right on the action. My husband was offered ganja a few times by guys trying to get his attention from the street... but the employees keep them from bothering you too much... I loved this place and cannot wait to go back...

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2010

I was in Negril from Feb 20-27.I spent the 1st half of the trip at the Plams Resort (read sperate review)and the last 3 nights at the rockhouse in one of their villas.I adore the rockhouse.The service is amazing and will do anything for you.They really aim to please.We were able to get into our room a little earlier than check in and from the moment we walked in we were at peace.We had a villa that had direct water access and the rooms were spacious and clean.The rooms include a phone, cd player, mini bar and a amazing fabulous bathroom with unique outdoor shower.The pool area is just breathtaking with an infinity pool that sits right on the cliffs edge suspended 60 feet.The Rockhouse is in Negril's west end on the cliffs which make it ideal for viewing sunsets.The Rockhouse restaurant is also nice and the food is pretty tasty.Our last night we had dinner on the rock which is a private table on the cliff where you can have a private dinner.They also have another more casual restaurant called push cart that just as good.There spa is professional and clean and it was one of the best massages I have ever had.I loved the rockhouse so much that on my next trip to Negril I think I'll just stay there the whole week and go to the beach when I want.I would reccomend this hotel to everyone.
P.S If you do go to their restaurant ask Leo to make you a Peachy Loco.

1  Thank bonitaboriqua20
Reviewed 2 March 2010

Just returned last night from an 8 night stay in Negril and we miss it already! We spent 5 nights on the beach at Idle A While (see seperate review) before moving on to the Rockhouse for 3 nights. Pictures cannot do it justice! We were unhappy with the first villa we were given and unfortuntely they were unable to move us until the next day however,the Manager Charlotte was truely kind, professional and friendly and rectified the situation immediately to our satisfaction. We were truely blown away by her genuine desire to make us happy. The next day Scarlet came and helped move all of our stuff for us and we LOVED our new villa.( #1). The view from the balcony is breathetaking!!.The room with it's outdoor shower was so unique and comfortable; they are truly worth every penny!!!!! We also ate dinner there and had a great waitress..can't remember her name, but she was so friendly and the food was terrific. Negril is amazing...both the beach and the cliffs are beautiful and the Jamaican people are truely wonderful! Other guest we met were also so layback and friendly.We usually go to Playa del Carmen in Mexico, but we think Jamaica stole our hearts! I read many reviews about Jamaica reguarding security and safety. We NEVER once felt unsafe anywhere and are still scratching our heads with how many people from home warned us that it was dangerous in Jamaica??? Use the same commonsense that you would at home and you will be fine. As a matter of fact 1 day at the Rockhouse we thought we left the maid( Bridgette) 500 JA (5.60 US) for cleaning our room. Later in the day we returned to the room to find the money still sitting there, at first we were confused about why she didn't take it. Then we realized that we had accidently left 5000 JA (about 56.00 US!) She could have easily taken it and we never would have known the mistake we made. I have a hard time believing that in Boston where we live you would find such honesty. The only slightly negative experience we had was at the pool. In general we didn't find the staff there as friendly as the rest of the staff. On one particular day we arrived around 10:30 (it opens at 10:00). my BF asked one of the attendents (didn't catch his name, but he was an older gentleman) about getting chairs as there still was only a few out and they were taken. He told him "Just relax! Relax!!They are coming!!" It wasn't said in a "no worries " kind of way, it was said in a "back off" kind of way. Not very friendly but, I wouldn't let it deter you from staying here.

BOOK IT BOOK IT BOOK IT!!! You will not be disaapointed!!

Tips: Pushcart was also great and they have fantastic drinks, probably the best we had in Negril!

Also try Sips and Bites! It's a little tiny restaurant next to the entrance to the Rockhouse absolutely delicious french toast and coffee!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank parrothead37
Reviewed 17 February 2010

We had a great time at RH, spending the first 2 of 6 nights in a Standard room before upgrading to a villa. The standards are an incredible value ($165 U.S./night), but you get what you pay for: Very small, no view, and noisy. A reviewer mentioned the barking dogs at night and we had the same problem – it seemed to be only one dog, but he would bark loudly every hour or so during the night for a few minutes at a time, resulting in a not-too-restful sleep. The noise level extended to neighbors in the 5 other rooms in the lodging – we could literally hear their conversations. After upgrading to a $355/night Villa, however, all these problems vanished! Sweet seclusion in a much more relaxed setting. Dined at both onsite restaurants – nice breakfast and lunch, great dinners, especially at Pushcart. Their ’ Peppa Pot Soup ’ is a must if you can take the heat. Bar drinks there are top-notch and potent. Rockhouse Restaurant also excellent. Dined at Hungry Lion and Kuyaba: both very good. Spent quite a bit of time by the pool, relaxing, reading, sunning, and talking with other friendly guests, many who seem to be repeat visitors. Bottom Line: 2 different experiences in the 2 room categories - would have rated RH a bit lower if we had the Standard all week. All in all, a much needed break from the real world – would have stayed another week if money were no object.

*** Tips: 1) Many restaurants offer FREE pickup and drop off service - check the Negril guide in your room or call them and ask. 2) The bottled water in your room fridge cost about $1.00 less than at Restaurant, Poolside bar, $4.00 plus taxes and fees. 3) RH Restaurant – make sure you ask for a night at the 'Rock Table' when you check in. It’s off to the side in a secluded area of the RH restaurant and quite a treat at no extra charge, but you must reserve in advance. 4) Bring lots of dollar bills for tipping and rounding off food receipts if paying cash - I brought $100 in singles and 5 dollar bills - change is given in Jamaican Dollars.

2  Thank West46th
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#1 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Samsara Cliffs Resort
Samsara Cliffs Resort
#30 of 80 in Negril

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!