“The Perfect Place”

Ranked #3 of 81 Hotels in Negril
West Hartford, Connecticut
“The Perfect Place”
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Stayed at the rockhouse for the first part of my honeymoon. You can't ask for or expect anything better than what the rockhouse provides: gorgeous solitude, relaxation, comfort, and good vibes. We stayed in villa 7 which had everything we needed and nothing we didn't. It sat on top of the cove, facing west, perfect for sunset in the lounge chairs on the balcony. The staff was 100% courteous, helpful, and friendly, the massages we got were terrific (and a bargain from what else I've seen). The food at the various restaurants was great -- all fresh, tasty, and good-sized portions. Can't talk highly enough about this place. Can't wait to return. If you wanna get away and soak in a real relaxing island experience, go to the Rockhouse.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 April 2010

We just returned from a fabulous wedding at The Rockhouse. Our first trip to Jamaica but not our last. This place has it all. Our standard room was well appointed and quite, the bathroom was clean, nicely equipped. The grounds and setting are out of a movie. All serene, spotless and much attention to detail. Pool was gorgeous and set at the cliff overlooking the ocean and amazing sunsets. What goes with a perfect setting, vibe and atmosphere then the best staff anywhere. Being in the food hospitality world, we are very aware of how service can make or break your event or vacation. Every single person that works at the Rockhouse was professional, warm, friendly, accommodating and made you feel pampered every step of the way. Same goes for the top notch people in the spa!

Enjoy.

1 Thank filmchef
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 11 April 2010

This was our 2nd trip to Negril. We enjoyed ourselves so much last year that we returned again. Just like last year we split our time between the beach and the cliffs. Both are different and are so great.
The Rockhouse staff is so friendly and helpful upon arrival. We stayed in the Villas and we really, really loved it. The room is very comfortable and spacious. It has everything we needed. The outdoor shower is a unique and positive experience. The soap that the Rockhouse provides is really nice too.
Staying at the Rockhouse is so incredibly relaxing. The water is amazing, the accomodatoins are fantastic, the restaurant is super and you just can't beat the view of the sunset. I noticed this trip that the staff was faster and more accomodating than our trip last year and was grateful for the effort. But basically we spent the day lounging in the perfect weather (combination of sun and ocean breeze) along the cliffs with sound of the waves or snorkeling/swimming in the crystal clear blue water. What's not to love?
I took advantage of the spa this year and I recommend the Herbal Poultice Massage. I've never experienced anything like it in the US. It was incredible!!!!!!!!! I didn't know one could be so relaxed. They provide a wide variety of spa services. You can get a wrap, scrub or massage in a little hut facing the water that is right on the edge of the cliffs. I also tried the Rockhouse Foot Ceremony because I was intrigued. It was a nice service, but I thnk they have many better. Keresha was my massage therapist and she was very good and super-friendly. I enjoyed talking to her about Jamaica and Jamaicans very much!
The one thing that I will ademently tell you is this- if you are staying in the villas, try to stay in rooms 12-20 and AVOID room 9 at all costs. It is a sin that they charge the same rate for villa 9 as the others- the accomodation is fine but the view is terrible. Basically your look straight to the villa in front of you. ALL of the other villas are directly on the water, this is the only one that is not. We moved from that room after the first night (and would have moved sooner if we could have) and was fine after that. You just can't even compare the experience of all the other villas to villa 9. It is very disappointing.
Aside from that, this place is just wonderful!! I highly recommend it.
The snorkeling around the Rockhouse is quite good. The water is pretty calm and there plenty of very interesting nooks and crannys to explore. It is really cool. You can rent snorkel equipment for, I think, $5 a day.
The pool is so refreshing and beautiful and the bar and the staff at the bar are so, so, so friendly and fun! I highly recommend the red snapper sandwhich and a humming bird to drink!!!
The property at the Rockhouse is gorgeous and so quiet. Whether you are walking the paths through the foiliage or along the cliffs it is beautiful.
I recommend watching the sunset at night and then enjoying the stars at night to the sound of the ocean touching the cliffs. You won't forget either experience any time soon.
There is no question that we will be back.

3 Thank dphiem
Boston
Reviewed 31 March 2010

We booked 4 nights in a standard room after staying on the beach for 3 nights. While I loved the experience of being able to walk into the water at the beach, it's a whole different world at Rockhouse. Our room was simple, but it had everything we needed, including a little futon type couch. The bed was comfy, the sheets and blanket were super soft (great for slightly sunburned skin:) I LOVED the outdoor shower. We had a phone, which was great for a wake up call. Another couple we met who were staying in a villa said they had a radio, which would have been nice. The only thing that would have been better was having a veranda or patio, to sit outside on, so consider that when booking a room. We did have some ants who loved our toothpaste by the end of our trip, but it wasn't a big deal.
Oh! and since the doors and windows have screens and closeable shutters, you might want to bring earplugs for sleeping. The dogs nearby bark a lot and our neighbors were kind of loud while coming and going.
The pool is amazing. The staff at the pool bar, the pushcart and the restaurant are all great. The restaurant is pretty romantic, and the food is very good. Weloved the banana pancakes and the lunches by the pool. Can't wait to go again!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gointoplaya221
Rockville, MD
Reviewed 22 March 2010

We just returned from 4 nights at the Rockhouse and wish that we had stayed longer. It exceeded all of our expectations. Gorgeous room, gorgeous views, great food, lovely staff (they even printed boarding passes for us when the public computer was being used). The location is perfect--an easy walk to Rick's and a $5 cab ride to the beach. We rarely travel to the same place more than once but we will DEFINITELY return to Rockhouse.

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jacquirossrose
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 11 March 2010

My husband and I just returned from a four night stay at the Rockhouse Hotel and we absolutely loved it. I do not have enough good things to say about this venue. We actually traveled there for a friend's wedding; however, it is definitely a place we would visit again on our own. Contrary to most resort websites, the Rockhouse is actually more beautiful in person than the pictures reveal on the website.

The Rockhouse really appealed to us because of it's size, cleanliness, well maintained grounds, fantastic service and friendly staff, adult only, and we did not feel like we broke the bank when staying there. We chose to stay in the Standard room which was about $150 + tax a night which was simple but lovely. The only thing missing was a view, but we did not feel like it was worth paying the additional $200 just to wake up to a view as we enjoyed going to get our freshly brewed Blue Mountain Coffee every morning and walking around the grounds. The only complaint I have, which I was aware of from other reviews on Tripadvisor thus I prepared myself, were the barking dogs. Luckily I brought ear plugs along and they blocked out all the noise. I highly doubt that the dogs are going anywhere anytime soon so I recommend ear plugs to anyone staying in the Standard Rooms or Suites.

All the food we ate at the resort was delicious; however, if you would like to explore another restaurant I suggest the Hungry Lion for dinner which is just half a mile down the road. Also if you want to explore the area I suggest taking a taxi to 7 mile beach - it's a great place to walk, stop for a drink, or relax on the beach.

The only other place that my husband and I have stayed in Jamaica is the Royal Plantation on our honeymoon. While we fell in love with this resort too, we agreed that The Rockhouse is more our style. I don't know whether I would honeymoon there, but it definitely is a romantic setting for both young and old couples to enjoy.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank chgerl
asheville nc
Reviewed 5 March 2010

i was thrilled with this hotel. It is quiet and peaceful. I loved listening to the close proximity of the waves. I was not bothered by no sand or beach because the ocean was right there and you could dive off and snorkle in the caves and deep ocean right off your room. The area is hidden behind a wall of gardens and flowers and stone. so it is just you and the sunset... no one bothered us. The staff were pretty good... The rock house restaurant staff I found a little haughty and rarely did you see a smile on any of the faces. No coffee pots in room so yo had to pay $3.00/cup or $8.00 per carafe every morning for coffee. But it is wonderful to sit and watch the sunrise on your porch with a pot of coffee. The food was pricey all over Negril... but good. I recommend Push Cart, the Rock house restaurant, The HUngry Lion( vegetarian) and Kuyabe. I did not care at all for Cosmos even though it was recommended.
If you can visit the spa... The ladies in the spa were the most wonderful people I have had the pleasure to meet. Very warm and caring. That was one of my favorite times there. The days we were there the surf was choppy and rough so we could not get in but it was still good to listen to the rough waves at night. you are right on the action. My husband was offered ganja a few times by guys trying to get his attention from the street... but the employees keep them from bothering you too much... I loved this place and cannot wait to go back...

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Tensing Pen Resort
#4 of 81 in Negril
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!