1,187 results
All reviewspremium villaoutdoor showerkenny tourspush cartrock housepool barpushcart restaurantstandard roomthe cliffgarden villaregular villacoconut chickenwater accesson the rocksmain restaurantmosquito netprivate patio
Reviewed 23 May 2007

I stayed in the Rockhouse last March during Spring Break. Leading up to my stay, I was incredibly excited to see what the Rockhouse was all about, as I had heard incredible things about it on Tripadvisor and through magazines. At the end of my stay I was somewhat impressed with the Rockhouse, but very unimpressed with Negril. I found Negril to be way past its heyday, lacking solid entertainment, very far away from the airport, and overall not offering a whole lot.

I must say the Rockhouse was a nice place to stay and if I had to go to Negril I would recommend staying here, but it didn't live up to all the hype that it was given. I thought I was going to a remote luxurious resort, and while the hotel was nice, it was not luxurious. And besides the allure of the Rockhouse, Negril doesn't offer a whole lot more

The rooms are pretty basic, nothing outstanding besides the views. The property itself is well kept and gorgeous and the pool is nice as well, but still nothing in my opinion merits this place to be luxurious as I had read prior to my stay.

The food was okay. Breakfast and lunch were the better meals, and I was very dissapointed with dinners. I found most of the fish dishes to be previously frozen, and when you are going to a tropical place, you certainly expect fresh. Breakfast and lunch were always good though. One thing I did not enjoy was the constant nickel and diming done by the waitstaff. Becareful because they will give you stuff you don't ask for and charge you for as much as they can get without you noticing.

One very upsetting thing did happen however at my stay at the Rockhouse. One night I returned to my Villa to hear what I thought was either a couple being loud in the bedroom or drunks laughing, but actually turned out to be a man screaming for help. The property of the Rockhouse is incredibly rocky and not at all fenced in. On this particular night, a man must have fallen from one of the cliffs on the property into the ocean. He was screaming for help for at least 20 minutes before he was rescued and it was only after myself and other guests reported the accident to the staff. I was very bothered by the incident because it a) showed how laid back the staff was at responding to such an incident and b) showed how unsafe the property can be at night. Fortunatly the man was saved and was okay, but it was very upsetting and for this reason I would discourage people with children or very elderly persons.

To be fair, I think this is one of the nicest places you can stay for such a small amount of money, but if you think you're getting a deal on a luxurious getaway...think again. Bottom Line: If your heart is set on Negril, then you can't go wrong with the Rockhouse, but if you're still considering other locations besides Negril, then keep looking!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
9  Thank NYCHoya
Matthew_Marzouca_GM, General Manager at Rockhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2007

The incident referred to above is documented in the Hotel's Security Report from the night of April 20, 2006. Unfortunately, a guest who later volunteered that he had a few too many drinks, climbed under the barriers blocking access to the sea at night, entered the water, and had some difficulty on the rocks getting out. Upon learning of his plight, security staff and management responded quickly and capably, gave him immediate first aid attention onsite and then drove him into town for treatment of his minor cuts and broken toe. The guest took full responsibility for this incident, apologized for the trouble he caused, and was very grateful for the manner in which he was treated.

Rockhouse staff and management take the safety of guests very seriously. The beauty of the hotel's cliff-top location also lends itself to some danger. For this reason, the Hotel does not accept guests under the age of twelve. The Rockhouse prides itself on maintaining a very secure environment
with a well-trained security team on hand day and night.

Reviewed 23 May 2007

It has been almost 10 years since my wife & I last visited Jamaica. Several months ago we received a wedding invitation to our niece wedding. It was to be held at the Breeze Resort at Run Away Bay in Jamaica. We were both excited to be going back to visit Jamaica again.

After spending four days at the Breeze Resort with family for the wedding we decided it was time to find a more quite relaxing place to stay. So we headed south to the western most point of Jamaica to Nigel to stay at the Rock House Hotel. Several months ago we had read an article in Budget Travel that sparked our interest in the Rock House Hotel.

What a pleasant surprise it was to find the Rock House Hotel to be everything the article said and much more. It is one of the nicest places we have stay at anywhere. It is a beautiful five star quality boutique property that stretches across the cliffs of Pristine Cove. Over the years the ocean has carved caves deep into the sandstone cliffs along the beautiful rugged coastline.

The Rock House Hotel staff is all local Jamaican's and they are the properties greatest asset. They are genuinely friendly people and they work very hard to make your stay special and do not be surprised if they call you by your name.

All the buildings at the Rock House are built of beautiful colored sandstone with thatched bungalows. The eight acres of luscious tropical gardens adds to the over all ambulance of the property.

You can rent a guest room in the original part of the hotel or if you are lucky you may rent a new private villa with it own private sun deck. The villas are large rooms divided into thee parts and they have a direct view of the cliffs & the Caribbean. They have a/c if you think you need it.

The Caribbean is so intoxicating that everyday people would spend most of their day sun bathing and looking at the Caribbean and some guest are brave enough to actually do a 30 ft cliff dive. Almost everyone goes swimming or snorting into the caves and the crystal clear water

Every day we would swim in the hotel 60 foot cliff top pool, you can swim right out to the edge of the cliff and look 30 ft down to at the Caribbean. The pool sun deck is very large and there is plenty of room to relax. They have pool side food & beverage service bar. The food is good at reasonable prices.

The award winning restaurant & bar is centrally located and suspended out over the cove. The restaurant has a great menu Including lobster, fresh fish, shrimp and many local delicates. They serve breakfast, lunch & dinner.

This is one time that you do not mind using the hotel restaurant every day because the food is good and the view is to die for. If you want to impress you wife ask for the one and only table on the rocky cliff outside the restaurant, it has a fantastic view of its own. The restaurant is open to the public but they give registered hotel guest first choice at reservations.

The Rock House has a brand new five star spa that offers a holistic approach with a variety of massages & baths with a natural Jamaican style that will make you feel like a new person. My wife & I decided to have the “Essence of Love” package.

Two very well trained local girls gave us both our massage in a “Massage Cabana” directly in front our villa on the very edge of the cliff. After massaging us for one & one half hours they topped it off with a cold stone treatment – we had never experienced that before but massage was fantastic!

Of all the places we have visited before in many countries the Rock House Hotel is one of the best we have ever experienced. If you go there you will want to go back time and time again.

Pleasant Travel Experiences,

Glen E. Spangler

Travelingfox59@aol.com

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank GlenE
Reviewed 18 May 2007

We love the cabins and the outdoor shower. We hung out by the pool and had drinks and some snorkeling. We did not care for the main restaurant, but like the poolside grill. Beautiful property and the staff was just ok! We stayed only two nights and spent more than $1,000 just here at the rockhouse, so it can be expensive.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nocal1
Reviewed 10 May 2007

Property has surged in popularity over the past few years due to write-ups in a ton of publications. While the owners do sponsor the Rockhouse Foundation, helping to build local schools, there's no doubt that they are capitalists! Rates have increased approx 25%/year the past few years, so what used to be a relatively affordable place has become less so.

With that all said, we loved it. Scenery, location, etc are great and the staff is EXCELLENT - very friendly and seem to truly enjoy working there (or are at least great actors). No need to go "off-property" if you are not motivated to do so - food at restaurant is excellent and despite the room prices, fairly resonable compared to other local options. We had 90% of our meals there.

Only "negatives" from my perspective were: the "premium villas" back up to the one local road running through the area, so you get a little road noise if you happen to be in your room during the day (but who really is?), room prices getting exorbitant, 1.5 hr ride from Montego Bay airport (can't avoid that unless you charter a plane.helicopter), an a la carte pricing on things that it would be nice - for the room price - if they included. For example, water sports like kayaks, snorkeling gear, even the yoga that the offer each morning is $15/class. All minor complaints.

I think the one thing to keep an eye on, though, and is worth nothing - the property is building an additional 15 rooms across the street (non-ocean side). We enjoyed the boutique feel and are worried this might eat into that. They had approx 80% occupany when we were there, and the pool area was already getting a bit crowded and noisy. The good news is that it looks like those rooms won't be open for at least another year, so go now!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank glbtrttr
Reviewed 5 May 2007

We stayed at the Rockhouse from 4/27 to 5/3. It was absolutely, without a doubt, amazing! The customer service at the Rockhouse was excellent. Everyone was always very welcoming and nice. Some of the staff that really made our trip was Cleon, Richie, Lance, Chevon, Nassan, Scarlet, Omar, and Yolanda. I really wish we had more time to meet everyone who works there.

Overall, we give our trip to Jamaica and stay at the Rockhouse a 10 out of 10. The Rockhouse itself is beautiful and possesses a true tropical feel. Our villa (#14) was perfect as was the snorkeling right off of our private patio. The outdoor shower totally enhanced the feel of our stay. It felt sublime to shower amongst the tropical plants.

The food at the restaurant was very tasty. We tried a large majority of everything on the menu and definitely recommend the bread pudding for dessert!

On our last night at the Rockhouse we had the privilege to sit and chat with one of its owners at the restaurant bar. It was very nice to learn about everything the Rockhouse Foundation has done for the community of Negril, especially the children. We look forward to returning to the Rockhouse and enjoying it and Jamaica again.

Stayed: May 2007