“Xtabi Resort for ATI/Dream Weekend - Negril, Jamaica”
Review of Xtabi Resort

Xtabi Resort
Ranked #34 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The Cliffs of Negril is a great location if you want to be away from the "beach traffic," but close enough to get to it (about $4 US for two to the beach...take the "west end taxis" coming back); mainly deal with the red plate taxis or take a chance with the "other ones" if it's late night. Xtabi is a great place for those who enjoy quiet in the setting of beautiful gardens with gorgeous sunsets along the Cliffs. We did not have a TV and only had the music from the cell phone, but it wasn't really missed. The mosquitoes were my only "issue," but it's an island and it's hot and we were on the Cliffs, so I dealt with it; but would advise mosquito spray or wipes to keep from constantly fighting with them...lol. We ate at “Three Dives,” across the road upon arrival, which was excellent. I also bought a lovely dress from the “vendor lady” next door; she had really nice things to purchase as souvenirs. There are also a few grocery stories and small restaurants in walking distance down the road. However, during holiday time, some places close so we didn't get a chance to eat at "Just Natural" because they were closed for the holiday weekend. You can also buy Digicel phone credit from one of the convenience stores (5 minutes walk). However, the road is a winding road with various vehicles driving up and down (fastly), so be alert while walking and stay to the side. If you are confident about driving in Jamaica, then a car would be great for that area; just make sure you stay on the "correct" side of the road...teehee. The weather was a bit rainy and cloudy during the day, but the sun would eventually shine through in spurts. The Negril beach coastline is lovely; however, we preferred to hang out at the "local section" of Norman Manley Beach...which I thought was the "better" strip of beach...had a lovely time on Emancipation Day chillin with the sound system and other families celebrating holiday, until the storm barreled down. Walking up and down the beach is nice; however, I was not a "fan" of it being roped off the way it was. We did find another cozy spot to chill, which was the "Rasta Bar"...cool people, cool vibes...enjoyed that location, but found much of the other parts of the beach "too touristy." I would definitely return to Negril again and possibly stay at Xtabi if I want to stay on the Cliffs...the staff was cool and calm; extremely professional. There was a nice pool, but didn't bother since we chilled at the beach in the welcoming warm waters of the Caribbean. We ate a really great Jamaican breakfast (delicious Blue Mountain coffee) at the Xtabi Restaurant and then returned later in the night for some "dirty bananas" (delicious drink). The prices were usual "hotel prices." I used to work for Holiday Inn and found the prices to be what I would expect in a hotel, but with better food (lol). The service and location was great along the Cliffs with lovely sculptures dotted throughout the gardens and great ways to get to the Caves by walking down the stairs from the restaurant or around the gardens to the other side. The Caves were great as they led you out to various pools in the water. However, I must warn about diving off the Cliffs. There are 3 Dives (spots where diving is safe). Please don't find a "fourth spot" and end up cracking your skull...lol...the water is a bit rough in parts and there is plenty of rock and reefs. So, don't be "stupid"...take heed to the warning signs and remember "you swim at your own risk." If you can't swim, please please stay on dry land...lol. Seriously! The cottages were painted lovely, vibrant colors, and looked out over the ocean; you could take in lovely sunsets from your own personal cottage. I think we would rent a cottage next time, instead of staying in the garden area. Overall, I enjoyed the room...nice dark wood along the interior...good lighting; great water pressure and hot hot water (too hot...lol). The room is "bare bones"...but extremely clean and spacious. Who goes to lovely Jamaica and stays in the room or just on property? Ok, I guess the “All Inclusive people” do that...how boring! LOL. I loved the huge bathroom and closet space outside of the bedroom area, and we had a lovely veranda to sit on and relax. If you needed ice, just ask the nice people at the bar; no problem. We enjoyed Xtabi and Negril, even though the North Coast (St. Ann's) is my favorite part of Jamaica...I'm a "kuntry girl" who loves trees and the "garden parish," but happy that I finally made it over to Negril. Happy Travels!

Room Tip: If you are a person who has to have a television, please make sure you state that upfront; otherwise...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TMommy4
There are newer reviews for Xtabi Resort

Reviewed 13 August 2011

I fell in love with Jamaica about four years ago and will be returning for my 11th time this December. My early trips I would spend 4 days on the beach at White Sands and the remainder of the week on the cliffs. After discovering Xtabi, it is now cliffs for the whole week. I can get to the beach on any route cab and hang down there if I want but Xtabi is so much more laid back that I find myself on the beach a bit less each trip and snorkeling Xtabi's cove more.

Getting from MBJ to Negril is a piece of cake when you travel with Kingsley. I have used Kingsley exclusively since meeting him and he is always on time, with a smile and a good Jamaican anecdote. You can't do betta geting to Mobay or making a day trip. Check out his web site at kingsleystakecaretours.com. A great friend and THE man to know in Negril. He recently bought another van and is running shuttles to the airport almost every day.

The staff at Xtabi is exceptional and is one of the main reasons I return. I try to chat a bit every day with my maid, Sharon, and a couple trips back after I had been home a week or so, she called from Negril to wish me a Merry Christmas. You don't find service of that caliber at the 5-stars. ALL the staff is great and Omar, the security guard, is ready to help out with a helpful travel tip at any time. I have never felt at risk on the property. Donavon and Omar in the bar mix em right and George will handle your dining experience with a lobster (or crab when lobster is out of season) thermadore to die for. Jus Natural and 3 Dives are both right next door for some other dining options and a nice store is only about a 10-minute walk away.

This is a great property and bargain for the price. To my knowledge ALL the rooms in the main building garden side now have mini-split AC units that will chill you out good mon. Last time I visited. I got a room with a TV and when a rain storm would come by, I could chill watching a movie from my iPod plugged into the TV game jacks. If you are looking for a chocolate on your pillow, this isn't the place for you. In fact, I try to LEAVE a chocolate on my pillow for Sharon every day.

David has been running this property since the 70s and most of the clientele are return visitors. One friend of mine has stayed there over 40 times. The resort has a cult-like following and I'm one of them :)

If you are looking for a modestly priced hotel with great service, great waterfront, good food and drink, and a staff that is the best, Xtabi is the ticket. I will be back there in early December.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank BAKslider
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We went to Jamaica with our children ages 5 and 13 for 3 weeks. We stayed at Xtabi for 7 days in the 2 bedroom on the garden side of the property, we were a bit apprehensive about being on the cliff side with a 5 year old. The room was apartment was huge with large cathedral ceiling, screens on all windows and a screen door on the large porch that overlooked the pool. The staff were amazing and very accommodating. Andrew was a maintenance guy and really took a liking to the kids. We saw him several times at places around the property including Ricks where he jumped from the trees.
The property has safe lockers to keep your valuable in while out and about. We used the lockers and never had a problem.
The restaurant was delicious and the drinks were fabulous. We have a great time snorkeling straight off of of the property.
We like to blend in with the locals and are a no frills kinda family. We go to have a good time and make great memories. The property was always clean and we have no problem with bugs. If you have ever been to the cliff side of Negril you know crossing the road can sometimes be a challenge, but look both ways and be cautious and you will be just fine. I would absolutely stay at this property again.
There are plenty of eating establishments within walking distance so you are not restricted to staying at the property if you don't have a car or scooter.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank crazy4caribbean
Reviewed 30 July 2011

This was our second stay at Xtabi, but I don't think I ever got around to writing a review for our first stay which was December 2009 and this review is coming in a little late. This time we were going to stay at another property, but had to move due to some issues. We were a little stressed and wanted something familiar and comfortable at this point, and Xtabi delivered. We stayed in seaside Cottage #2 for the second time. We found that with the humidity in October, Cottage 2 was a little too hot because it doesn't have the best airflow due to windows being only on one side of the building, but we survived. I would choose a different cottage if staying in the hot/humid season again. We looked at Cottage 1 while we were there because some people left early and it was much cooler due to the design and open air flow. Cottage 2 was great the first time we stayed in December though, even felt a little chilly at night. I also love the outdoor shower for this cottage-- you're pretty close to the wall adjacent to the road, but someone would have to walk right up to your shower and look over to see anything.

Xtabi has fantastic water access for swimming and snorkeling. It's one of the best things about staying there and if you like to snorkel, you definitely want to bring your own gear. You might also want to bring a float for the water. There are sometimes extras around that other guests have left, but it's nice to have your own. The pool on the garden side is a decent size, but there seemed to be some operational problems while we were there that made the water murky and unappealing. The groundskeeper was working on it, so I just stuck to the sea for swimming.

The staff at Xtabi are very nice and the grounds are well-kept. If you want to have a conversation with anyone, there are plenty of friendly people happy to chat with you. The staff remembered us from our previous visit and were very welcoming and seemed genuinely happy that we had returned.

This time we saw two parrots in the area and got some great photos of them eating the sour oranges in Xtabi's garden. The location is convenient to a couple of great restaurants, Just Natural and Three Dives. We've only eaten lunch at Xtabi's restaurant and their conch burgers, cheeseburgers, and cluch sandwiches are very good. The drinks at the bar are good, but we mostly make our own in our rooms, so having a refrigerator is great. The cottages all have refrigerators, but the rooms on the garden side do not, although you can borrow a cooler. Not all the rooms have coffee makers, but we asked and were able to borrow one for our stay.

I would definitely stay at Xtabi again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hettie15
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We enjoyed the ocean cabin, but would have stayed anywhere on the small resort as it has a relaxed and welcome vibe. We are serene individuals and spent time truly taking in the relaxed feel full access to the ocean floor and welcoming nature of the residents. We felt that this was a very central location to attractions and restaurants which never failed to exceed our expectations. We are vegetarians and felt that the information from TA was crucial to our enjoyment of the local food and culture. Just Natural, being accross the road, was our second residence as we ate twice daily and relaxed in their hospitable surroundings. Would we go back? Ya mon!

Room Tip: The staff at the resort was very helpful and responded quickly to my emails regarding the rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank VegHeadMully
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We did not stay at Xtabi Resort, we just ate in the caves one night. AWESOME experience! A must do! There were bats flying, so beware! Great food, great staff, great location and great experience!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2011

We were both looking for something that was not a large resort with a quite a nice ambionse, an out of the way place.
We found it at Extabi!
Reading reviews both current reviews and from when we went we thought we would add our Loonie to it.
We loved the place, the quite rooms, the restaurant, 3 dives restaurant down the road, excellent snorkling, the "pads" down the stairs, reefs at your doorstep, Royal Palms Reserve (thanks D for red stripe and fishing), the shops in town, fish chowder down the road, excellent staff, Ricks, awsome service, and hey i let the staff guy keep my bug spray.
There is no air, no TV, no Radio, outdoor showers (you will understand if u go there), fan, musq net, and a georgeous cottage like we had - cotage 2 (next time we'll take 1).
So if any of you expect a McDonalds, air conditioning, activities, theme shows, mamba parties, u sure as hell in the wrong place.
If you come for the quite, want to relax, no cell phones, snorkle the reefs, meet the people outside of Negril, just chill and read a book, and expect ``respect`` from the locals (u been there u know what i mean) this is the place for you!
Respect Man and you be in the right place.
Thanks to all the staff at Xtabi and I truly hope you do not have to put up with to many interesting people especially from that one country.
Once again thank you and both of us will be back. Respect!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple