“Wonderful! Xtabi is wonderful”
Review of Xtabi Resort

Xtabi Resort
Ranked #34 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Just returned from a ten day stay in room eight on the sea side and this was a great value. One can’t really say enough nice things about this place, but I’m going to try.

The staff was so nice and responsive to all my needs and questions. Natasha was a great help before going, working with me to book the room directly with the hotel. The discount for cash on arrival was also quite nice. The maids, bartenders, waiters, grounds keepers and security staff were all so friendly and accommodating. They were never rushed and took time to visit with you when you wanted and left you alone when you didn’t.

This place is truly beautiful. The sea and the cliffs together present a delightful spot to just relax. There is plenty of lounges about to lay out. The swim platforms are spots for isolation and to launch a snorkel experience. The beach in the cave is easily one of the coolest things ever. I used it to get into the water to snorkel the most, as it was so easy. These rocks and coral around the base of the cliff have amazing aquatic life. I saw octopus, eels, needle fish and big schools of many shimmering little fish. Every time I went out it was different.

The room was great and I enjoyed the outdoor shower. The staff brought up a cooler for beer, no fridge, which worked out nicely. I never felt like the room was unsecure. No one messed with my stuff.

The restaurant was great also, the Jamaican breakfast was fabulous. I just loved the snapper burger. Throughout the day other guests would show up at the bar to visit and share their excursion stories. One thing I found about Xtabi is that the people staying there had, for the most part, stayed there before. The returnees were so fun. They wanted to be there and made it their Jamaican home. The fun to be had with the guests was infectious.

I’d read that the road along the cliffs was dangerous to walk, but found that not to be true. The drivers honk before coming round blind corners and seem to be quite aware of the pedestrians. Yes, be careful, but I walked everywhere and had no problems.

Most of my trip was spent just enjoying Xtabi’s grounds and water. This is a great place to unwind, I hope you find it soon for yourself. Xtabi rocks!

Room Tip: Sea side close to water, garden side have air conditioning.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank bjritz
There are newer reviews for Xtabi Resort

Reviewed 23 May 2012

For people looking for a relaxing break, Xtabi is perfect. We stayed in bungalow #6, and would highly recommend it. The terrace overlooking the ocean is amazing, and we were home every night to watch the sunset and enjoy the serenity at Negril (with the added view of the boats returning from partying at Rick's Cafe!). 12 hour sleeps were not uncommon!

For keen snorkellers, bring your own mask and snorkel as the water is so clear - and there are steps just outside leading down to a cave and pristine water. We swam every morning and it was delightful.

In terms of a room, it was very clean and tidy. The bathroom doesn't have a 'lid' on it - so you can hear everything and it limits privacy - but personally, this wasn't an issue for us. And there is a lovely outdoor shower that is fun to use. The bed was super comfy - and so nice to open the doors and look directly to the Caribbean. The in-room refrigerator came in very handy too! I'd recommend paying the $4 extra a day for the in-room safe: the peace of mind it provided was great.

The restuarant at Xtabi is great, and our preferred breakfast option. There are a few local restuarants you can walk to, but other than the 3 Dives Jerk Centre next door (which is awesome for a no-fuss dinner) we preferred to eat on-site as they cater very well to 'foreign palates'. The staff at Xtabi were very accomodating too - always willing to supply ice or provide helpful advice.

Overall, if we lived closer (Australia is a long way away), we'd be returning to Xtabi as frequently as possible - and I'd recommend it to anyone travelling to Negril and looking for a nice, relaxing break away from the crowds.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get an ocean front bungalow. We loved #6. You won't regret it - and we saved m...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank desktraveller101
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We picked Xtabi mainly as it offered good value for the location. Our requirements were a pool, a/c, off street parking and a refrigerator. Had to pay $4 extra a day but worth it for ice and cold drinks.
We did have a few issues like TV not working- quickly fixed, the fridge stopped working after a power surge- quickly replaced and the a/c leaked- again quickly fixed!
We stayed in room 15 on the garden side, so you now know that everything should be working fine!
The bar is lovely and we ate lunch and dinner twice at the restaurant overlooking the cliffs. Good access into the sea, either down the cliff side steps and a metal ladder or further round down steps cut into the cliff down to a little hidden beach. Great place to swim or snorkel.
Overall I would say that it is good value but no frills and we would stay there next time we are in Negril.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 12 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 6 nights over my birthday in mid March. We're on a 12 month backpacking trip and decided we needed a nice place to relax for a week.

We didn't really know what to expect in Jamaica, as Australian's don't often travel to this part of the world for a holiday. Jamaican's would always ask what 'State' we were from because they couldn't pick our accent! Then we could have a joke about cricket once we told them we weren't American's. We had heard that Negril can be a tourist trap and is a favourite for people on 'all inclusive' package deals where you don't leave the hotel or have the opportunity to mix with locals. This is certainly NOT the case with Xtabi or the West End in general! From the sunny morning we arrived, we knew we were in for a treat!

This resort is relaxed and well managed by friendly staff. The housecleaner was available everyday if our room needed cleaning, and the cute dog kept us company as we relaxed in the garden. Our garden cottage was basic, but had a large shower/bathroom area, desk and cupboard space and a beautiful veranda to sit and enjoy our drinks.

Across the road the restaurant/bar offers nice food and drinks, albeit a little expensive - but the highlight of staying at Xtabi was access to their sun-baking area and cliffs. Everyday, we swam, snorkeled and enjoyed the Caribbean heat in the beautiful surrounds offered by the resort's restaurant.

The location in Negril's West End was perfect for exploring the dramatic landscape of the cliffs and had great access to cheap, local eateries and grocery stores.

We've been travelling for a long time, but we will never forget our short but special week in Jamaica, all thanks to staying in the West End at Xtabi!

Room Tip: If you're more interested in getting out and about and don't need to spend much time in your...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claire S
Reviewed 25 April 2012

As a room was only available for four nights, that was what we booked. That’s what happens when you risk last minute bookings. We spent 8 nights in total, half at Xtabi and half at another hotel.

Location: We picked this place for the beauty, privacy and superior snorkeling. We were not disappointed! What a paradise! Only complaint is that the complex is divided by Suicide Highway and you risk your life each time you have to cross it to get to the water or restaurant. If you are familiar with Jamaican drivers, you will know why I call it Suicide Highway. Cliff jumps and (bat) caves were awesome!

Food: Tasty and good service. Quiet and friendly atmosphere…beautiful scenery while eating.

Rooms: We did not expect much for $59 per night, but we were shocked to find both a tv and air conditioning in a clean and quiet garden room with a huge washroom. Mind you we never look at a tv on vacation anyway, but the air conditioning is a must. We did not at all mind the respectful gecko living in our room, as he would take care of any insects if they were there. Reliable daily housekeeping. Only one complaint: showers seriously need work as the pressure is very low and it alternates between freezing and scalding you. A simple temperature regulator would solve this issue.

Staff: All staff members were friendly, helpful and quick. Wish I could remember names, but it was a pleasure to deal with them.

In conclusion, this place is a great value with one of the best locations for swimming and snorkeling we’ve ever done. Good place to go if you want to stay away from the annoying shysters on 7 Mile Beach. No idea why Trip Advisor rates this as only #35 out of 99 hotels…that is certainly an injustice as I would rate it easily in the top 10 for sure.

Keep up the good work Xtabi!

Michael & Donata

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank thebaron007
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This was my fourth visit to Jamaica, third time to Negril and first time at Xtabi...i chose it for it's location and had the BEST time!!! I had a bungalow room next to the pool and as a solo traveler it was just right. I felt safe and secure with all the necessary comforts for me. The location is spectacular and convenient, especially since i rented a bicycle for most of my stay making access to most locations quite easy. The staff is the finest i've encountered on the island yet, truly a beautiful crew. Make sure you bring snorkeling gear and a camera.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

So, if you can't beat the rain, then join it... The resturant at Xtabi has an awesome view over looking the cliffs where the waves come crashing in on a rainy day when the sea is choppy. My wife and I managed to snag an ocean front table and watched as one spectactular wave after another challenged the cliff side.

I should also mention that food was excellent as well. They have a modest wine selection to pick from where most of us can fine something appealing. The service too was well above the island time average.

I would not be in such a hurry to call your cab after dinner. Step out onto the bar patio and have a coctail and catch a few more of those waves and I promise they will eventually show up again in your dreams.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family