“This place has issues but great hired staff!!” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Xtabi Resort
Ranked #31 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Ottawa, Canada
“This place has issues but great hired staff!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

My gf & I stayed in cabin #4 on the cliff side & the hired staff @ XTabi helped make my stay a memorable one!!The view was beautiful..our private little yard was charming & we enjoyed being entertained by the music coming from the restaurant area...but could be bothersome for some!! We found the cabin quaint & cozy with a few issues!! The linens were dark so it made the cabin very dark. We had issues with our toilet throughout our stay(never flushed properly) & there was very seldom warm water to shower!! I read previous reviews about the place being dirty but I have to disagree!! It is clean, the problem is...it needs major upgrades & is falling apart...that is NO fault of the maids!! The grounds are very well kept by the sweetest & most helpful men ..one in particular named Devon!! They always aim to please...going way out of there way at all times & greeted you with a smile & sure Mon!!! The restaurant in particular is fantastic...the setting is just beautiful with a wonderful view of the ocean. It has the greatest chef's & kitchen staff....everything we ordered was phenomenal...right from there breakfast menu to dinner(recommend the rib steak)!! Sadly, the rest/bar area is run by very minimal staff & there run off there feet!! They work under the watchful eye of a man, I understand is.. David(owner). He watches the staff incessively & is very disrespectful & degrading to the people that work for him & isn't afraid to let his guests know!!(I witnessed it on several occasions) This same man..older.. I might add... is also seen during your stay @ XTabi with young dark girls @ his side displaying behavior that is very disrespectful & should be kept in the privacy of his home & NOT for the guests to have to endure!! For this reason alone.. I would rate XTabi a big fat 0!! Another issue while staying here is when trying to sleep @ night...there are dog's that bark excessively on the resort & are very bothersome!!On a more positive note... A great big thank you goes out to the wonderful staff.. starting with the girls @ the front desk..Devon & the maintenance/gardeners... the maids(always pleasant) ...the security(Omar)....the young lady in charge of stock that found me the "blue" XTabi t-shirt... ;-) & last but not least...the staff from rest/bar area...Ted...always so pleasant... George(awesome waiter with a great sense of HAHA)... Tammy(sweetie with a great smile)....Abbey(very graceful & attentive).. Kevin(hard worker & so thoughtful)..Omar(nice guy) & Dwight(great smile but pull up those pants hon) HA!! Your all wonderful people & your homeland is beautiful!!! I will be back to visit the staff but wont stay here again....NOT until it is under new ownership or he starts treating his staff with the respect they deserve...very disturbing!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin #4 on cliff side! Private with a beautiful view!! The negatives were the plumbing...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jacqueline K
hello,
this is David, and I am wondering what happened that gave you the impression that I treat my staff disrespectfully? Yes some times as a manager we do have to talk on a serious tone. My staff and I have to my knowledge have a good working relation. This is why they work with such a good attitude. ( most of the time) If I disrespected them they would show it in there work and responses to the guest. I am the first to relies the importance of mutual respect between staff and management. I can't always be the nice guy. I do believe the staff are the key to your having a proper Jamaican welcome, and a wonderful stay. With out us working together Xtabi would not work as well as it does.
As for the under staff you talk about.... we the crew and I had a meeting I asked them if I should put on a temp person and they requested me to let them get the over time. So I hope it was the team work that made you enjoy Xtabi . We will work on the pluming.
Thanks for your comments. OH for the record I am not the owner, just the manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in Xtabi for 3 weeks in December and January. We first booked the garden cottage 21 for 12 days, and we planned to spend the rest of the trip on the 7 Mile Beach. But we liked our cottage 21 so much that after a week we just booked the rest of the trip in Xtabi.

The cottage is cute, wooden, has cooling fans in a living room and in the bedroom. They are a bit loud, but they are efficient, we certainly liked them. The cottage was clean, and even cleaner on many occasions when the wonderful cleaning ladies (Sharon, Cherry) cleaned it. They always did a great job, and they were always very kind. They often changed flowers in the vases with fresh ones as well.
The cooking equipment was modest, but useful and enough for us (2 burner stove, a tea pot, 2 frying pans, 2 cooking pans, a couple of cups, glasses, whole set of plates and silver). We are sure that in case we would ask for more, if needed, we would get it. We often made for ourselves fried plantains, rice with beans, cooked veggies, salads, fried potatoes, etc. (Almost on a daily basis we bought fresh veggies and fruits at a little shop which you find if you go walk 5-7 minutes towards the 7 Mile Beach).

We loved the garden around the cottage (Devon, George and Paul were amazing gardeners, and Ricki was amazing maintainer, and they were always friendly, and if you needed an advice, you could always turn to them). The landscape was really beautiful.
We loved our cottage. We often just sat around reading books or simply getting amazed by different birds, butterflies, flowers. It was like a paradise. (Only at nights it was sometimes difficult to sleep, since they let a dog running and playing around - making noises - , sometimes even hitting the wooden walls of our cottage. And at some point at night the water starts havily running from the wall close to the cottage, but it stops after 10-15 minutes. But when you just fall asleep and that wakes you up, it seems like eternity).
And to get to the sea, we just walked through the garden, crossed the road, and, hop, we were on the cliff, jumping into a crystal clear blue water, snorkeling (if you don't have your snorkels or flippers, you can rent them for the day from Xtabi), sunbathing on the terrace, or just having a cocktail. We recommend the Dirty Banana! The bartenders Omar and Dwight were perfect, we just loved them!

Often in the morning we would pick up coffee from the restaurant, and they prepared it on the tray, with milk and sugar so we could take it to our room. Sometimes we even picked up wonderful breakfasts and took them to our cottage. There was never any issue with any of that. They never declined our request. They were always cool about it. We really appreciated that, since a lot of hotels get all nervous if you only ask for taking the glass to your room.

We had only few meals at Xtabi restaurant, since we cooked quite some in the cottage. But every time we had the food there, it was superb! And so the waiter George was superb, and all of the other restaurant staff was great too! The only downside of the food was its price. It was quite expensive. For this reason, when not cooking at home, we went to walk to other restaurants in West End Negril. We found most of them within walking distance from Xtabi, so it was never an issue to find a good restaurant (or you just talk to one of the taxi drivers who are always sitting in front of the Xtabi entrance, offering rides for good prices).

There is not enough good things we can say about the cliff area at Xtabi. Sometimes we felt like the main swimming area was our private wild swimming pool. Xtabi is not a big hotel, so the sea is never too crowded. I would say that the biggest crowd was when there were 10 people in the water (and that happened maybe twice in 3 weeks). So you can imagine how much peace you can have on your own. It's really wonderful. Can never compare it to the 7 Miles Beach. Once we saw it, we knew we would hate it there. Too much crowd. While Xtabi on the other side is such a nice, peaceful, feeling-like-home place, just that it's not home, it's a PARADISE! :) We often went for a swim also at night. Around 9-10pm. Just for the last swim of the day. And it was sooo romantic and perfect! There are few lights on the cliff to lighten up the bay area. And it's really incredible to swim on your own, in the blue sea, lightened up by the lights from the cliffs. Not to forget the feeling when you swim flat on your back, watching the stars (there you can see A LOT of them, since the light pollution hasn't crawled over that sky yet), and (on Tuesdays) listening to live reaggae being played at Three Dives restaurant, which is just on the next cliff. Really an out-of-body experience!

On our last 2 nights we moved to the sea side cottages. We wanted to experience that part of Xtabi as well. And we didn't regret it. As much as it was difficult to say goodbye to our cottage 21 which was our home for nearly 3 weeks, we quickly got familiar with our sea side cottage. One night we were in cottage number 5. It's small, with no kitchenette, but it was very nice. It's close to the restaurant, but we didn't have a feeling that it would bother us. We barely heard the restaurant at all. In the morning we went for a swim from our access to the sea (the access to the sea was shared with cottage number 4).

And one night we stayed in cottage number 4. Well, THAT was something! We felt like being in a dream! Two story cottage, with kitchenette (although, the kitchenette could be better supplied - the garden cottage was better supplied than this cottage), with sea views all around, with a big terrace, table, chairs, ... Paradise, again.
There were 2 bathrooms! One downstairs and one upstairs by the bedroom. And there was even an outdoors shower to use it once you get out of the sea.
The waves were quite loud, much more than I could imagine. I had troubles sleeping. But probably just because I am not used to them. My boyfriend, who is a Californian loving waves, slept totally well. It's also true that (as most local people said), the waves and winds were unusual for this time of the year.
If I would change anything in the cottage, was just to fix the window shades. They were very rusty because of the sea water (this always happens when an estate is right next to the sea, I understand that) and it was impossible to either close or open them. OK, we stayed only one night and one day, but for a longer stay that might be an issue, since the sun is directed straight into the room, from many surrounding windows, and at night it would be difficult to block yourself a bit from the loud sea. The fans work perfectly though. Much better than in the garden cottage. They worked strongly and they weren't loud at all.

And I would also like to mention how safe the Xtabi was. We always left our stuff laying on the table outdoors, we left our towels, swimsuits, books, etc . (both, day and night). There was never any problem about it. I am sure we often forgot our phone or tablet as well, but they never disappeared (in cottage 5 we lost our mini SD card, we were sure we will never find it again, since it's so small and could be lost anywhere, but cleaning lady Cherry came next day to our cottage 4 and told us she found it on the floor, under the bed. We are still so thankful!)
Our beloved security guys took care of the peace and safety! Michael and Omar were our sweethearts! Always so nice, kind, friendly, helpful, anything you ask, they will help you. They take care of you. Some night my boyfriend couldn't sleep because of a headache. He went to sit in front of the garden cottage around 3.30am to get some air. Omar very soon came around to see who is moving around our cottage at 3.30am :). He wanted to make sure it wasn't someone un-invited. We felt really safe and looked over. It seemed like everything was promptly taken care of in a really perfect way.

It was our home. Our little paradise.

And so many friends that we got!!! Michael, the security guard, what a wonderful person! What a great character! Always greeting us, asking if we needed anything, always there to help. And always looking over us. Michael, we love you, we miss you! You made our vacation the best possible vacation ever!

It is a very long review indeed... but it is impossible to wrap up a review about Xtabi in few sentences. When you feel so welcome, when you feel so well taken care of ... When bartender Dwight while making cocktails can make you laugh for the millionth time with his jokes and his incredible open and funny spirit ... When Michael comes around, smiling and helping ... When all of these wonderful people take care of you on such a level ... it is impossible to leave a short evaluation. We have so many beautiful memories, we would want other people to know about this amazing place and its amazing crew!

We recommend staying in any of the cottages! We tried 3 different cottages and they were awesome!

Maybe the dog and the parrot in the garden by the pool could be less annoying, but you can't blame the trapped animal ... one on the leash all the time, another in the cage ...
But then ... well, then everything would be just too perfect. There must be a little thorn in the paradise as well, just to remind you that it's all true - you are in paradise, it's not a dream!

We are certainly coming back. We are already thinking of the dates in off season (when it's much cheaper), and we are thinking of bringing our families too. :)

Thank you, Xtabi crew! You ladies and misters are wonderful, without your dedicated and hard work, without your beautiful souls and without your eagerness to do anything for your guests, Xtabi inspite its natural beauty would never be for us what it was: a home in paradise that we want to return to again and again. If for nothing else, just to hug you all again and thank you for being such good, kind, amazing people! You are the rocks of Xtabi and we are so lucky that we had an opportunity to meet you and get new friends! Thank you endlessly! RESPECT!!! ONE LOVE!!!

2 Thank jazz_ty
David P, Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Thanks for making it XTABI, We are grateful to know that you enjoyed your stay here, and Jamaica. We work hard to make your experience here in Jamaica and XTABI a wonderful one.
And your report helps us get out this signal.
Kingsville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I have been going to Jamaica for over 25 years and always stayed on the beach. I never knew what I was missing.. Xtabi is so beautiful! We had cottage #2, we think it was the best of all the cottages, Cottage #4 blocks anyone from seeing you from the bar, plus you have your own set of stairs to get down to the water for snorkeling. The view is great from any of the cottages, but #2 & #3 are the most private.. As for the staff, what can I say other than they make you feel like family.. Devin, the grounds keeper was so friendly, he came and visited every morning. Barbara, our house keeper, she was so cute and made sure you had everything you needed, she even gave us a coffee maker so we could have coffee right on our own patio every morning.. The Bartenders, Kevin & Omar, were the best, Always greeted you with a smile, even if you were there just to check your emails..George is one of the best waiters I have ever met, he was always singing or dancing, we loved his attitude. There are so many more we would like to thank, from the ladies at the front desk to Omar the Security guy and Dave (A,K,A, Manager), everyone made us feel like family. We want to Thank everyone, for making this our NEW Favorite place.. Will be going back soon!!!!

Room Tip: Cottages #2 & #3 are the most private,, Cottages #1 & #4 are in full sun, but have 2 floors...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
David P, Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
And your report helps us get out this signal. And keeps us going.....
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

This was my second stay at Xtabi.
My wife and I stayed in cottage 2 on the cliffs. The view and surrounding was amazing. The rooms are cute nothing special But perfect for what we were looking for. The outdoor shower was a bit revealing but also quite nice.
The room was well cleaned by our maid Cherry who was sweet and always offering us a couples message if we wanted.
The mattress was hard as plywood so we could have used the message. Lol

All of the people there are friendly and always willing to help.
The gardener Devon was always fun to chat with.
I will also mention the barking dog that was annoying. Someone should do something about that.
But it wasn't enough to ruin the experience.
The scenery is breathtaking and the service was exceptional.
The caves are a must see even if you just stop by for a peek.
The food is good and service is quick.
Diner was exceptional but the price was shocking. $100 for two people with two glasses of wine.
But it was good.
The servers we pleasant George, Omar, Abby were all really nice and a pleasure to be with.

So once again I really enjoyed my stay and will always stay at Xtabi every time I return to Negril.

Thanks to the girls at the front desk too. They were very helpful and fun to talk to.

Cheers!

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Ktamz
David P, Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
And your report helps us get out this signal.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We have traveled all over the world and this by far is our favorite place to visit. Whenever we come back we are welcomed like friends.

The grounds are beautiful, the ocean front rooms are perfectly simple, VERY clean, and have breathtaking views.

The restaurant during the day is laid back and fun and at night is a perfect place for a romantic dinner. Hint - just ask George what to order and you won't go wrong; Winston is still the man!

Thanks again to Omar, Omar, George, Michael, Dwight, Tamme, Kingsley and all the rest! See you soon!

One Love

1 Thank fat_passport_11
David P, Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Hey fat_passport_11
Nice to hear from you again, and is good to know your still a fan.
Yes it is a shame about Donavon, but when the worker dose not remember who is who it is that time.... He does stop by to visit some of you veterans from time to time.... if he knows your here.
you take care now
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

+: on the cliffs, fantastic views, sunsets, access to snorkeling right outside the hotel, cliff jumping, turquoise blue water, decent restaurant/bar, caves under the bar, beautiful garden, pool, friendly staff, quiet, plenty of restaurants in walking distance

~: rooms simple/nothing fancy

-: front desk staff weren't helpful about excursions, prices of cabs etc., road outside walk-able but have to watch out for fast moving cars, no sidewalk, not a whole lot to do outside the beach/cliffs in Negril

We were glad we stayed here versus on 7 mile beach. We took a $10 cab down there and were rather bored within a few hours. It was pretty but packed with restaurants/hotels/beach chairs and people wanting to sell you stuff. Walked the beach and decided to come back to Xtabi where there was peace and quiet and we didn't have to get heckled or worry about our stuff being stolen.

I really enjoyed the view from the cliffs and the access to the water. Bring your own snorkel. There was a mix of calm days and wavy days. Could be difficult to get out of the water/up the ladder if the seas were rough but I had no trouble. When calm, the water was fantastic and the snorkeling excellent.

1 Thank Tklost
David P, Public Relations Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
thanks for your report, I will talk to the girls about being a bit more helpful. I find them quite good most of the time.... Oh well I guess we all have our days..
Thanks again hope to see you again. Byee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I spent the holiday season at Xtabi and I am glad I did. I travel to Negril often, usually staying on the beach. Thought I would change it up and Xtabi didnt disappoint. The room was gardenside, great private balcony, clean, wonderful A/C and my housekeeper Sharon was the best. A short stroll across the street and spend the day swimming, snorkelling, and diving in one of the most beautiful places in the world!

Room Tip: I would definately prefer having a second floor room as you get a bit of a view and a little more pr...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Orchidlovesnegril
David P, Guest Relations Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Hello & Thanks
I am happy your happy, and I do agree the CLIFFS are nicer that the beach. at least a great change from time to time. Some cliffs and some beach... Good life...
Keep it up we know you deserver it...
one love