“Best swimming and views”
Review of Xtabi Resort

Xtabi Resort
Ranked #30 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Manchester,CT.
“Best swimming and views”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have stayed @ X-Tabi, on and off over the last 25 years.
I really enjoyed when Janet ran the restaurant, and I miss her sweet and personable demeanor.

I got to X-Tabi early in the morning,(June 3rd) and I had to move right in, because I had "stuff" for my mini frig. Room #21 is spacious, and I like that it is detached and has its own garden verandah. The cleaning woman, came the next day, and mopped the floor with water. My feet were black from the filth, so I "borrowed" a mop, and used actual soap and water, and then it was fine and shining.

I only had ceiling fans in my room, and learned as other guests arrived, that I was paying $8.00 more a night, while those with ac and tv were paying $50.00/US night for a 5 night stay. I also had to pay an additional fee to the cleaning person, that let me borrow her coffee maker. They claim that "you have a kitchen", for the reasoning why I paid more. If I am dishing out $15.00 for something that is in a normal kitchen, then one could not really say, it is an actual kitchen. AC uses much more "current", then fans and the tiny frig. Even when I made them aware, they did not offer me a room with ac. #21 needs even a small wall ac, at least in the bedroom, June-October.
I met two guests, that had to be moved, (3) x's, because their ac did not work. They said they were not coming back either, due to some "drama" going on with some employees.

I stayed for 12 nights, and I was a returning "garden-side", guest. None of that matters at X-Tabi.
The fact it is "slow season" also had no bearing on the rate. Staying for weeks, has no bearing on the rate. I was told I was getting a break for paying cash, until I logged onto their website and saw I was paying MORE than what I was suppose to! I went right to the front desk to relay this finding, and suddenly it was about "tax", but I never got a receipt.

I intend to swim at X-Tabi in the future, but no plans to stay there again. The security guard that woke me @ 6AM for taxi fare (a few years ago) is still working there!
There is now a sign in the rooms, saying "Nobody that works there should be asking you for anything". That whole circumstance was rude, annoying and unprofessional, but this is the attitude or "tone", set by who is managing now.

The sea water there is gorgeous, and the bartenders and yard workers are very friendly and kind. There is no disputing this spot is wonderful for snorkeling. They blew my water floats up for me and always greeted me with a smile.

They have excellent, but pricey food. It is a nice splurge, once in a while, but I was thankful to find a nice curry conch dinner for $3.00/US rather than $18.00/US. I did have lunch,once, which was a small bowl of pumpkin soup and a fresh green salad with mango dressing. It was delish, but it was $12.00. The ambiance is part of the price, which makes sense, just not for someone staying for a longer period of time. The blender drinks are $7.00/US and Red Stripe, is almost $4.00! I could get a full dinner down the road, for less than the price of a single drink.

Omar, the bartender, that has been working at X-Tabi for years is a very sweet, thoughtful and a very efficient staff person. Always has a smile to greet you, and he plays all my favorite reggae vibes. Thanks Omar! :-) for being thoughtful on my birthday.

X-Tabi has a nice pool on the garden side, that is nice at night! The whole yard is lush and gorgeous, thanks to very loyal employees, who obviously take pride in all they do.

The biggest complaint I have heard is: "The rooms are getting run down, are not being fixed, but the prices remain the same." I have to agree with that statement. I also think that every room needs a wall unit ac for the bedroom. Even the rooms on the sea, tend to be terribly hot in the summer months.
I wish someone else managed this jewel of a spot~

Room Tip: May-October, you need a room with AC. Any other month, choose what you can afford, but do not expect...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Sista-Levi
Hello my friends,
We are very grateful that you have taken the time to post such a nice review. We are very happy we were able to fulfill your holiday days with pleasure.
My staff and I hope that we may have you as guest again some day. thanks for making it XTABI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

This review is based only on the Xtabi as a swimming location. Wonderful and beautiful for the experienced swimmer ONLY. Three different area the check out, two platforms and a cave entry, WoW. The beer is pricey just FYI and open from 8am - 11pm to non-hotel guest.....enjoy.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Esintial D
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I visit Negril annually as an independent traveller. I usually go for small basic properties but was travelling with my son and his partner so went for Xtabi.
Set out on both sides of the road with chalets/rooms/gardens and the swimming pool on one side and bar/restaurant/sun decks on the other. This is not an issue as it takes seconds to get to the sea side. The chalets all have private seating/loungers outside and are set out simply but nice and in an authentic Jamaican style. There is a small car park and I did notice that a security guard was on site late at night.
Once over by the sea there are plenty of loungers and a shower. A restaurant with stunning sea view and a fantastic circular bar. Although there is no beach on this stretch of the coast as the resort is set on the cliffs there are several rocky platforms with ladders to the sea and for the adventurous diving platforms. I found these to be far better than the beach as you can really swim in the crystal clear water. Along the cliffs and running under the hotel are caves which are fun to cool off in.
The staff at Xtabi are fantastic. Polite, efficient and nothing is too much trouble.
A couple of supermarkets, craft stalls and restaurants in close proximity and not far from Ricks Cafe and the Lighthouse.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Xtabi

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank mumzel
Indiana, SP
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The most important thing to mention here is the excellent people who work here. The staff is so nice. In particular, Abby, Kevin, Omar, Laconia, Kimberly, George, and the cleaning maids made the stay so much fun. The views from the cliffs are incredible. Some of the best restaurants I've ever been to are nearby. So is a convenience store. I suggest talk with everybody at the resort - guests, staff, and visitors - you never know what might germinate from a simple hello. Everything is laid back and perfect for relaxation. Only complaint is the prices of the food/drinks at the restaurant - very pricey compared to some of the local places nearby. I hope the staff makes fare wages because they deserve such in my opinion.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 413Steve_SSSS
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 10 May 2014

If you can find a safe, reasonably clean, ocean front hotel in the Caribbean for $65 (USD) per night, please respond to this review and let me know. That $65 price at Xtabi includes A/C and TV with a balcony or porch looking into the flowery-green, bird-filled courtyard. Rock-bottom cheapest room? $50/night! We were there for the last week of April, 2014.
This is not just a hotel. It’s a scene. Drawn to this place and most happy here are unpretentious, cash conscious travelers who have a good sense of adventure. Like a ski or scuba lodge. Each day, people who just met go out to snorkel or swim. Also, nearly every night the bar is rocking with people who don’t even know each other well, dancing around and carrying on like wild.
The snorkeling here is quite good. Morning is best for clear water and small or no swells. The rock and cliff jumping and diving is awesome! The caves on the property are facinating and fun. The steps in one of the caves leads down to a small, sandy beach area, right in the mouth of the cave. Great for a secret skinny dip.
The restaurant has good food and is reasonably priced. Three Dives grill, right next door, offers heaping portions of freshly grilled chicken, shrimp or lobster with veggies and rice, starting at 12 bucks.
The Xtabi staff is friendly and very helpful. Hello goes out to the Omars, Kevin, George, Donna Bella, Kimberly and Little Abbey. Can’t forget Damien, Devon, Michael, Sharon and of course, Boss Man Dave.
Here’s the secret to getting what you want in Jamaica: tip, tip, tip your hotel and restaurant staff. When you change your money to Jamaican dollars, get lots and lots of singles (100 JD) and some fives (500 JD). Tip for nearly everything someone does for you, just not too much at one time. It makes an amazing difference in service. Jamaicans are charming, intelligent and intuitive people. They know what kind of tourist you are and if you act grumpy and bossy they will drop you like a hot potato. You will see the "ugly" side of Jamaicans and quickly. They will not be intimidated or bullied. The madder you get, the less they want to help you. The other secret is: Chill out. If you’re the kind of traveler who wants everything “just right - and right now”, this is not the place for you. Most of Jamaica is not for you.
Xtabi makes it possible for people to afford travel to the tropics – a beautiful setting with adequate amenities at an excellent price. A special place and an outstanding value for those who can truly tolerate and enjoy the tropics. Mr. Churchill

Room Tip: Top floor rooms 11 thru 15 on the garden side are great. Staying right on the cliff? Book aircondit...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank JamaicaDood
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Xtabi is a nice hotel on the cliffs of Negril. Gardenside rooms are across the street from the ocean and are cheaper than the rooms on the water. You don't hear any noise from the road and are a great value!! The rooms on the water are cottages and offer awesome views of the ocean! The restaurant has a great variety of food and drinks. Great snorkeling at this hotel!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dj-dale
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed at Xtabi Resort from Apr.19-26th! 1st time there ever and just LOVED it!Have been going to Negril since 1987 and this was our 1st visit to Xtabi.Stayedin the garden side rooms----room18 and it was just great!Such a spacious comfortable room!Staff were wonderful! Such polite, accomodating people!From housekeeping to front desk to bar and restaurant,all staff were superb!Have to say a HUGE shoutout to Donna at front desk! She was so helpful and appreciate so much she got an earlier time for us to leave cause I was so worried about how busy it could be at the airport!Thanks to my ice man Michael{Mikey} and when he was off, Devon and Paul took such good care of us!At the bar and restaurant Omar was tops!And my housekeeper Jean was just marvelous at keeping our room clean and comfortable!My only tiny peever would be that we could never get a fridge in our room even though I was willing to pay the $6.oo extra it would have been.We paid alot of money for ice and it was kind of a pain emptying out the ice each day even though we did finally get a system going.To the manager David, my one piece of advice would be to have fridges in all the rooms!Would be more than happy to return to your resort if I knew there would be a fridge in my room!The gardens are so beautiful and the cliff side magnificent!You really have something going on there!To David, thanks for your advice about "Just Natural"What a cool place!!! Just LOVED it!Only sorry I didn,t bring my camera that day cuse never got back there this trip. Will be sure to go there again on our next visit!Camera in hand!So just want to let you know we had one amazing experience at Xtabi for sure!Thank you all for a wonderful trip to Negril! One we won,t ever forget!Sincerely. Lar{Tiger} and Sally

Room Tip: the rooms on the cliffs are quite amazing but more expensive
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple