“Relaxation!!”
Review of Xtabi Resort

Xtabi Resort
Ranked #33 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 9 March 2010

My husband and I just returned from a one week stay at Xtabi and cannot say enough great things. We stayed in a seaside cottage and thoroughly enjoyed it. They are not fancy, but very comfortable. We had a king sized bed, a ceiling fan, mini-fridge, closet and safe. There is no air conditioning in the sea side cottages but plenty of windows to get the breeze at night. The outside shower was very private and well kept. We had a fabulous view and a very large patio with a table and two chairs and two loungers. The restaurant and bar had wonderful food but it was the staff that made it extra special. We would definately go back. The location is perfect with alot of great eating places within walking distance. This was our first experience not going all-inclusive and we had such a great time. It was very laid back and a wonderful place to relax. Thank you to everyone at Xtabi for making our week so incredible. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Goochers300mag

Reviewed 3 February 2010

My reason i am reviewing this place is not to hurt the hoel but rather help others decide if they are going to stay here.
The hotel is RUSTIC it is not for the fussy and demanding type, to be honest iam not that type when i travel by myself or with a friend, but my wife who was not on this guys vacation would not have stayed here, period, no way in hell. To tell the truth i have a internal warning thing that i have developed from years of travel around the world where i can spot trouble, and this location gave me a very bad feeling based on the location in the town and the abject poverty surrounding us in the village of Negrill. When we spoke to locals of course they tried very forcefully to sell you drugs and such, hey we already had some lol, and would finnish by mentioning "You must be staying at the xtabi"

..this is a VERY SMALL TOWN. We carried everything of value with us to the cliffs during the day and made sure of the room security at night. "just because i'am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me"
NOT FOR CHILDREN as the cliffs are fantastic but dangerous, no beach, pool sucks but we swam in it.
People are very friendly in the village but you are a visitor and they are poor, very poor and you have to be on your guard so as not to be a victim, "Beware the crafty crocodile who beckons you with clever smile "
Bar and food were great with friendly staff, management does not like complaints as they have no way to solve most of them as they are intrinsic to the age of the hotel, they need real upgrads and fast.. Reccomend yes but with caveats. Imagin staying in a less than standard motel in a high risk area of a town. It can be done but with caution! The water, price, and swiming off the cliffs keep this place going. The conch burgers are worth the visit to the restaurant wow.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank holysmoker_10
Reviewed 29 January 2010

We went during the off season and the hotel was minimally booked. The staff was great and the grounds are gorgeous!
We stayed in one of the less expensive rooms which was across the street from the water which was fine for us. It's not a palace but check out the price! You are getting more then you pay for to be sure. The room was clean and comfortable but not luxurious.
Overall, we ended up liking staying on the beach more then the cliffs but if you want to be on the cliffs, this is the spot!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I have made numerous trips to the cliffs of Negril (the BEST place to visit in Jamaica, in my opinion) but this was my first stay at Xtabi. We stayed in Cottage #1 and already have reservations to go back to the same cottage next Christmas. We felt like we were in our own little world. The views can not beat, the staff felt like old friends and we had the privacy that you really can't get any where else. We would wake up in the morning, start a pot of coffee, go for a morning swim, have a $6 full breakfast at the restaurant, swim & lay out on our private deck, go back to see our "friends" at the restaurant for lunch, swim some more, nap in the sun, watch a glorious sunset, take an outdoor shower and head out to dinner. What a life!!

I have no idea where the bad reviews came from but they made me nervous before my trip. I asked Dave, the owner, if the negative reviews could have come from a competitor because there is no way I can imagine anyone having such an opposite experience from us. He was too polite to say but, in my opinion, that is the only possibility. If you want an authentic Jamaican visit, this is the best way to go. If you want to hang out with a bunch of other Americans, watch TV and eat junk food - go to an all-inclusive.

Don't get me wrong. Xtabi is not fancy and I love a fancy place just as much as the next person. But, this is a place to escape, wind down and keep it simple. No TV, newspaper or busy-ness, just pure relaxation. The furnishings are very simple and a bit dated but we really didn't care which I can't explain because that's not usually like me! I guess the surroundings were just so perfect that the age of our couch just didn't come in to play. If you want night-life, you can certainly find it although we never got around to it on this trip. The restaurant is possibly the best in Negril so that's very convenient. Lots of other places to eat w/in walking distance, too.

The people who keep it all together at Xtabi are incredible. Dave, Martin, Mona, both Omar's (and on and on) did everything possible to make us feel right at home. I consider them to be personal friends and can't wait to see them again.

This was the escape we only dreamed about. I came home more relaxed than I have ever been. My only complaint is that we 9 days wasn't long enough! Hmmm........how to make enough money to stay all winter......

Feel free to drop me an email if you have any questions. I absolutely love this place!!

6  Thank bchbummette
Reviewed 6 January 2010

I recently vacationed at Xtabi for New Years 2010. I found Xtabi by reading reviews on this website. I was initionally a little worried because of some of the reviews that I read that only rated it with 1 out of 5 dots. After staying at Xtabi all I have to say is there are people in the world who were never meant to travel to places other then all inclusive resorts. If you are one of those people then you will likely not like Xtabi, however if you happen to be a person like myself who is more interested in a quaint charm and natural beauty of a place then Xtabi is very likely the place for you.

1  Thank LostLawStudent
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Having booked our stay at Xtabi during our trip last year, I was a bit worried after reading some of the earlier reviews. Fortunately, we found none of the problems they mentioned. This resort was clean, the staff friendly and helpful and we loved every minute of our two week stay!

We stayed in a garden side room and found the accomodations to be everything we needed. The bed was great and the linens plentiful. The air conditioner worked great on muggy nights, the cable TV was reliable and we liked the availability of WiFI. The large balcony was especially nice with it's lounger and table and chairs.

The pool was clean and the cliffs are excellent for both swimming and snorkeling. This was our third trip to Negril and by far and away the nicest "vibe" that we had the pleasure of enjoying here. The security is top notch without being intrusive and the choice available to either mingle or enjoy privacy.

I agree that the restaurant is a bit pricey, but the quality of the food is fantastic. The location of this resort is also a big plus with plenty of good restaurants a short stroll away.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank plongdin
Reviewed 25 December 2009

Wow, I must say I am truly surprised by some of the poor reviews I have read here. I recently returned from a nine night stay at Xtabi, and loved it!! The views, from our little cabin on the cliff's were breath taking. The food excellent!! Try the curried lobster, some of the best I have had in Jamaica. Oh, and try the steaks, Dave the owner imports all his steaks from the States and there wonderful, cooked to perfection, not to shoe leather. The service was absolutely fantastic. It is wonderful to see people who truly take pride in the job they are doing, and this is what I found in everyone from the grounds keepers to the owner!! A professional, well trained crew, that I would be proud to have work for me. Now when I read some of these poor reviews, it tends to make me think of people who enjoy the "AI" All Inclusive, resorts. Let me start by saying this type of lodging is not for me. AI's tend to be way to impersonal, to large, and the reality is you get little to no local culture at AI's, and is this not, why we travel in the first place? To experience different cultures and lifestyles. At most AI's your dropped on a closed in property and told here you are welcome to.... When in reality you could be on any beach anywhere, because you experience none of the local culture. Now if this is for you, well god bless, but its not my cup of tea. I want the real deal. Anyway back to Xtabi, I have been visiting Jamaica for 42 years and Xtabi is a little slice of old Negril, laid back and beautiful. The cabins on the cliffs are romantic and cozy, they take me back to a a place you just can't find on the beach anymore. Across the street you have the hotel style rooms, and the pool, (side note the snorkeling is some of the best in Negril, the large boats from the AI's, head up here so that there guests can actually see something), we only used the pool once as we snorkeled, every morning in the warm, blue ocean. The pool was clean and the grounds spacious. On nights we returned late from concerts or shows we were always greeted by name from Xtabi's security, As a matter of fact every member of the staff always greeted us by name! Try that at an AI!! Xtabi's local is great located in the middle of the cliffs (west end) it is very central to everything. The beach is easily reached with a quick taxi ride or a nice walk. The nights on the cliffs are far better then the beach, great music, local pubs, mom and pop restaurants and jerk shacks, and a much more laid back feel then the beach. I could go on and on as to what a wonderful resort Xtabi is, but don't listen to me get out there and have your own wonderful Xtabi experience!!! I know I'll be going back for more!!!

PS If anyone from Xtabi happens to read this, please send my best and thanks to all your staff, you guys did a fantastic job, and gave us a great experience!!! Thanks again, Capt. Adam

2  Thank cptfesta