“A great vacation spot.”

Ranked #30 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Kauai
“A great vacation spot.”
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I spent a week at Xtabi in early December. I have been to Negril a number of times over the past 20 years but this was my first time staying on the West End and at Xtabi. I would definitely go backi. The location is excellent and the facilities are more than adequate. I was very happy with the level of service provided by both the staff and the management. They all made an effort to make my stay a pleasant one. If you are an avid snorkeler such as myself this is a great place to stay as there are a number of ladders on the resort's ocean front area that provide access to the ocean. The sea caves and marine life were very cool. I ate at the on site restaurant often and was happy with the quality of the food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The conch items on the menu were particularly tasty.

I read with interest Chris Hill's recent review. I can understand that he may have had a problem with his booking but his reaction seems unduly harsh. He professes that he did a lot of yelling and screaming which seems a poor way to handle any problem. He also says his best friends in Jamaica work there but that he is going to use his influence to put the place out of business. I doubt his "friends" are happy with that strange attitude. I had limited dealings with the manager Sonya but I found her to be efficient and helpful.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Kauaisunseeker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 25 January 2011

The staff was more than accomodating! The Security Department, Omar in particular was outstanding and made sure he knew where each guest was at all times. There was a taxi driver that sat outside of the resort, named Bunny (pronounced Bonnie) that was the best and most reliable taxi driver. Overall the experience on the Cliffs was very relaxing and enjoyable. If you want to stay by the cliffs...stay there. If you need a great driver from the airport we would recomend Dudley from Big Ship Tours, They can take you on any long drives such as the Falls.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Just returned from a week at Xtabi....we love it there and we travel internationally frequently! Upon arrival we had Kingsley, (http://www.kingsleystakecaretours.com), a family friend who is a licensed Jamaican driver, pick us up at the airport and stop at the Jerk Hut for red stripes and some jerk pork for the 1 hr drive from Montego Bay to Xtabi in Negril. Kingsley will take you to Xtabi and anywhere else in Jamaica for a good rate and great times. When we got to Xtabi check in took about 2 minutes (which is great when you are anxious to hit the streets and beach) we paid in full by credit card, and up to our room we went. We stayed in the garden side, room 13, and had a direct view over the lush gardens and out to the ocean. We were surprised with how large the room was, especially if you are used to European standards. The sheets were soft and clean and the bed and pillows were really comfortable. We are always a bit hesitant about bedding because of bedbugs, etc, but at Xtabi everything was clean and well maintained. There was A/C in the room and a ceiling fan that was great. Our room had about 17 ft vaulted ceilings all dark wood and a skylight that gave it a unique feel, a large closet with plenty of hangers, a good sized balcony which we used every night for drinks post beach party and a bathroom that was no frills but had large tub, shower and nice vanity and mirror. We never heard anyone staying in the rooms around us and even while out on the balcony felt private and comfortable. The staff at Xtabi is extremely helpful and becomes family! Anything you need for the room or your stay they will do their best to get for you including a cooler, ice, wine openers, breakfast, etc. The food was great (awesome smoothies for breakfast with a splash of rum) and has a view better than most in Negril. We were able to snorkel and swim right below Xtabi around the caves which are spectacular but be careful if the water is rough. "Just Natural" next door owned by Teresa, is by far best for breakfast with traditional Jamaican food and "3 Dives" on the other side of Xtabi serves up the best Jerk Chicken and lobster in Negril in a casual outdoor atmosphere with good music, Llyod the chef is awesome @ 3 Dives. Walking from Xtabi to the beach can be dangerous (no sidewalks and narrow) but getting a "route cab" is really easy (they are everywhere) and takes about 5 min and $5 USD (400 jays) for 2 people. The beach is amazing with its baby blue water, white sand, great food, and tons of places where beers are about 150 jay or $1.75 USD. From Xtabi Its about a 15 min walk to Ricks Cafe and many other restaurants and hotels. Xtabi was everything we wanted in our stay and more. Its affordable, quaint, good for couples, families or single travelers and easy access to cliffs and beach! We'll be back soon!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElleMD
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 16 January 2011

My name is Chris Hill and I have stayed at Xtabi 15 times, and I will NEVER stay there again.

Just to give you an idea of what I have done for XTABI over the years: I have rented the entire resort, twice, for eleven days with an Open Bar with a bar tab of over $11,000, and I am directly or indirectly responsible for over 1,000 nights of bookings.

So when I say that I will never stay at XTABI again I hope you heed my warning.

The biggest reason is that their manager, Sonya, is beyond unprofessional, greedy, mean, and apparently irresponsible.

The straw that broke it for me was when she changed our agreed upon rate, after I signed the manual credit card form. BE CAREFUL OF ANY RESORT THAT WRITES THEIR DAILY RATE IN PENCIL ON YOUR CREDIT CARD SLIP!

They erased my room rate and put in a new one. Think about that!!

Well, I called her out on it and gave her every reasonable way out to fix this. Her decision was to lie, deny, and finally agree (after a massive screaming match) to refund my $75 rate change, and then proceeded to inform me that she would be taking out of the sweet desk clerks pay (a desk clerk who makes scarcely more than $100 per week). I told her to keep it, said I would never return, & I told her to keep the money as she is a cold and heartless manager. I have brought XTABI over $100,000 and they burn our bridge for $75.

My best friends in Jamaica work at Xtabi: Kingsley, Donovan (at the bar), George, Winston, Alice, Cherry and the Omar's. All great people and I hope they all are able to find work after XTABI closes.

After all the screaming and yelling I left XTABI (giving fat tips to everyone I respect there) and proceeded to spend a bunch of money at the nicest place I have ever seen: Catcha Falling Star. It makes Xtabi look like a dump.

We will be hosting all our contest winners there, from now on.

David Prebble, the owner of Xtabi, is still obviously tripping over a dollar to pick up a nickel. I like him, but I hope he finds a manager that isn't so, so...well awful.

Oh, and be wary of Donovan Haines aka Ninja. I don't take kindly to people who speak so negatively of the American people/tourists trying to put food on their table; especially when it is me.

FYI, I gave XTABI plenty of time to fix this or apologize. Sonya chose to try and make up stories instead. Laughable, as she has no idea how much influence I hold over vacationers to the West End.

-Chris Hill
Executive Ambassador

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
22 Thank Chillsmotu
Xtabi, Front Office Manager at Xtabi Resort, responded to this review, 22 January 2011
Thank you for your review and thank you trip advisor for this opportunity to respond. This guest showed up at Xtabi on January 7, 2011 without a reservation. The first question he asked as he entered the office was do you know who I am. No one had a clue who he was even though some of us in the office have been here at Xtabi for over four years. We later realize that he had not been back to jamaica since 1999. He proceeded to highlight the numerous things he had done for xtabi more than 10 years ago(similar to whats’ listed above) then proceeded to ask for the best room in the house and a discount for history sake. He picked a seafront cottage that is normally $210 (plus 10% tax) per night and agreed to $150 (plus 10% tax) per night. That is $66 off per night!! A total savings of $330!!

During check in he tried to convince the receptionist not to add the tax to his bill. We could not understand, after getting $60 USD off per day he tries to get out of $15 more? He was informed approximately 30 minutes of checking in (once the matter was reported to management) that the tax had to be paid; he actually said at the time that it was no big deal. Everybody knows the government has to be paid their taxes. He even extended two more nights on the 9th and stayed 5 nights instead of the original three nights reserved on arrival.

Throughout the stay the guest was happy, showing no signs of a grudge. He asked us to call and changed his flight, to call his office and check up on sales, used our phones to call back to the USA and locally for 15 – 30 minutes at a time, which we did at no cost to him. It was very surprising to observe him behaving in such a vulgar and disrespectful manner at the time of departure because he could not talk to his way out of paying the taxes.

We really wish this situation could have been resolved differently. We do however hope you enjoyed your stay in Jamaica and look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Redstone, Montana
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Xtabi is wonderful in every way.
Made reservations through Expedia. Called Talcia to confirm cottage for first part & then move to a room across the street. Got there & were put in the room across the street for the whole 2 weeks. It had a/c so no problem fine. They even gave us a cooler to use & a coffeepot.
The staff, both Omars , both Devons, Miss Sharon & fabulous security were all so fantastic & like family. Thank you so much.
The Sunday b4 leaving I mentioned to Talcia we would need to call our taxi if he wasn't there by 9 am. Somehow she kept calling the wrong guy & I actually heard her tell (we didn't know who it was at the time) our taxi driver to get off her phone when he called her back. We found out later she was trying to get her friend the job instead of who we wanted. Anyway, we missed our flight & rescheduled the next day & all was fine. So the 1 problem was identified & Dave offered us a few free nights in a cottage next time to help cover the expense.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 6 January 2011

This resort charged my credit card for a reservation I didn't make and then refused to credit my account or respond to my emails and telephone calls On this review I note the date of stay as December 2010 because that is the Month the resort charged my card.

• Stayed December 2010
7 Thank Deb4545
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 4 December 2010

Negril can try one's patience - too many hustlers, numerous dining establisments that overcharge and the general feel of a third world destination although the West End can be splendid. Xtabi Resort has accomodations that cater to both budget and wealthy travelers. My simple room had a ceiling fan, safe deposit box and an ocean breeze despite the location across the main road from the seaside cliffs. Some may prefer spending more cash for a television, a/c or poolside location, but my place was fine for a short stay (4 days). The highlight was sitting in Xtabi Resort's cliffside bar and watching the sunset. The conch burgers were not bad, either. Although the resort is within walking distance to a quickie mart and several small restaurants, plan on hiring cabs to minimize constant the attention from locals ESPECIALLY if traveling alone.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo