“Beautiful location, good stay”
Review of Blue Cave Castle

Blue Cave Castle
Ranked #52 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The location and views are stunning from this one-of-a-kind castle hotel. The water was calm almost all days and great for swimming and snorkeling. We loved eating seaside at the tables on the grounds where meals are served by Teddy's Hideaway Eatery around the corner but it was a bit pricey for some items. Teddy's also has a gate by the road that leads into the restaurant's eating area. The gate also has a top half-door for take outs which was cool. The staff was fantastic and cheerfully and helpfully answered all questions. The gardens are beautiful and the grounds meticulously maintained creating the ultimate relaxing environment.

We toured other rooms and all had great bathrooms with pedestal sinks, great tubs and showers, and newer tiled floors. On that note, hopefully the penthouse counter top and sink in the kitchen and bathroom are next. We had issues with blockages in the faucets and shower head from mineral buildup we were guessing as well as dripping faucets and white mineral buildup in the sinks and on the faucet surfaces. We did not have any issues with electric or water except for a minor plumbing issue which was immediately addressed but not the blockages or dripping faucets. Looked like the bathroom floor could use re-grouting or steaming and the old stickers and paint buildup on the toilet was unpleasant. A microwave would be more useful and up-to-date than the double hot plate in our opinion. There is no air conditioning or phone in room.

The floor tile was beautiful throughout as was the rest of the room complete with handmade furniture. The room layout was pretty good given the smaller space except for the coffee table and TV table which seemed too large for the room and were awkward to maneuver around as were the bar stools. The step-up bathroom and step-up toilet took some getting used to as did the tiny hand washing sink and smaller shower. Housekeeping did an excellent job keeping the balconies and room clean and restocking with plenty of towels and washcloths, changed the sheets mid-week, and even changed out the bathroom rug.

The other guests were very interesting and friendly. Security lets you in and out of the gate and there are two German Shepherds that help keep watch. On that note, one night, a group of eight to twelve non-guests, mainly women, seated themselves at a table, were very noisy, taking photos, smoking, taking chairs from other tables, wandering the property, people and locals drifting in and out of the group from the pathway to the restaurant and two cut through the garden with one jumping the wall and walking along the room's balcony. The poor waitress circled the table at least a dozen times and no one ordered anything. Another night, a group of four noisy non-guest women dined seaside and were so disruptive that it ruined the dining atmosphere and that of the hotel. We were under the impression that the tables on the property, including those in the veranda building, were for guests and that non-guests dined in the restaurant area itself especially since the hotel and restaurant are separate entities with table service provided as a courtesy to hotel guests (we often walked up to the restaurant to let them know we were seated at a table). With hotel guests required to enter and exit through the gate via Security and having to show identification upon check-in, the presence of these non-guests did not help build a secure image of the hotel. We found these two situations quite unsettling and did speak to Security about them.

We only used the stairs in the tower to get to the sea. The other stairs to the cave and sea were too long and steep for us. There are no railings on the sea steps or stairways in the castle except for one with double chains and the steps seemed to be at uneven elevations. There is a cool bench and cave at the tower entrance to the sea and the platform and ladder were fairly easy to maneuver.

Overall, we had a great, relaxing time and would recommend as it is something that should be experienced at least once. We will probably stay elsewhere as the steps proved wearisome for us as did the lack of air conditioning and I personally prefer a more modern decor although it is perfect for the Caribbean seaside castle environment.

Room Tip: really a matter of personal choice
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NewLuggage

Reviewed 7 November 2013

If you are looking for a honeymoon destination, this should be the place to go.
Nice little restaurants and bars just around the corner. 3 minutes car ride away from the famous white beach. The rooms are big, clean, well equipped and very individual. In the middle of the property is a "blue whole" which is a direct (but dangerous) access to the ocean. Its a nice feature but not practicable. You have direct access to the ocean via the cliffs around the property or you can use the stairs to access the ocean. Bring you snorkeling equipment, the underwater world in front of the hotel is amazing!! Have fun ;-)

Room Tip: never mind, all rooms are great!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Michael A
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I was introduced to this hotel by a flight attendant who knows where to stay. This is not a busy resort property. Stay here if you want a quiet location with small numbers of quests on the property. Built on a cliff, overlooking the ocean, you can snorkel out of the cave or off the steps below the hotel. Good restaurant on site or many others within walking distance. The rooms are all different, not cookie cutter boxes like resorts. Not high tech and polished, but rather like an old castle feel which is what it was intended to be.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mitch O
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I will not stay anywhere else in Jamaica it is so amazing!! I cant wait to go back..Teddy is the best ever.. thank you for a great time and great memories. See you next year same time.Room 11 is my fav.. the penthouse is nice but all the stairs is too much espcially if you like to enjoy cocktails like we do.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nyladyluck
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I am going to be very honest on my review, which is going to be hard for me because I have a special place in my heart for Blue Cave Castle. I have visited before and had a great time and left a raving review, if you don’t believe me, check my profile. I have sent 2 friends here, family members, and my mother on high recommendation. This time I was met with ants all over my room and on the bed and when I spoke to the owner about it (Suzanne) she asked me if I wanted more bug spray????? I was astounded by the lack of concern to properly rectify this horrifying problem we experienced the entire stay. Now on to the positive.. I will also give some tips about the local area, anything else you want to know, feel free to email me.
Pros for Blue Cave Castle-

1) Free Wifi - Stronger signal outside, then outside the hotel room. I appreciate this added feature
Suggestion - Put Wifi password on the door where other emergency numbers and need to know info is located, as we had to hunt someone down for it.
2) Secured Safe - This was another feature that they have added.
Suggestion - Program safes for guests to generate their own password, as them assigning you a passcode sort of defeats the purpose.
3) Free Jamaican Coffee & Tea put out every morning for guest - I love this feature. Jamaican coffee with sweet milk - yummmmm! Refrigerators in the rooms.
4) The location -- It's a great location on the west end of Negril, if you want to get to the beach, restaurants, the circle where the shops is, it's a cab ride away
5) Teddy the chef - Teddy is great, his food was pretty good this time around, I remembered his meals being really on point the last time I visited, however this time, he did have some off nights where the food didn't live up to the last visit expectation, and it can be pricey. However Teddy is the go to person. He knows everything and everyone. He gave us a great cab driver, he knew where all the parties were, he told us how much we should be paying for things, so he definitely is the go to person at Blue Cave. Great guy and an asset to the Hotel. Although I had limited interaction with Petrona the manager, she is also a great go to person and will look up any information you need to know regarding the local area and is pleasant.

Cons-
-No microwaves, the doors and windows do not seal closed so lizards and bugs were able to enter the room, NO TELEPHONES IN ROOMS!!!-Inconvenient AND DANGEROUS IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY.

Tips For The local area-
- Only get in taxi's with Red license plates, they are offical taxis, you should not pay more than $5-$7 dollars to go down to the beach from Blue cave. If you go out at night to party expect to pay closer to $10 dollars. Try to get a regular cab driver you trust and use him for the duration of your trip so you can work out the best price.
- Try Kuyaba for eating and laying out on the beach, it is a nice spot.
- The Boardwalk further down the stripe is nice, they have a live DJ on the beach, there open till 6 and also have a nice set up on the beach. They also have Wifi on the beach, so ask for the code!! Do your instagram videos!! lol
- Try sweet spice for some good food, there is also a really cheap and delicious spot next to Merrils hotel called Uprising. It looks like a little shack and has fly screens that you can barely see thru but the food was the best I had on the island and I paid like 300-400 Jamaican dollars which is like $3-$4 American dollars.

-Places to party- The locals will tell you what is going on each night because everyone goes to the same spot each night. Some parties we attended were - The Jungle (ladies night is Thursday, Sat is unlimited drinks, Margaretville (Fridays is unlimited drinks night) The after hours spot is Scrub-a-Dub, which is a strip club.

-Traveling to other parts of Jamaica - Take the Knutsford Express, don't take private cabs they will charge you hundreds. You can go to Kingston, Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and other parts of Jamaica for 20-30 dollars each way.

-Best Ways to save money-
Make sure you change at least $200 US dollars into Jamaican money because a lot of things end up being cheaper, as different people charge different exchange rates. Stop at a Cambio in Montego Bay to change Money, $98.80 was my exchange rate, its more expensive in Negril. Don't! Change your money in the airport!!! The cheapest place to buy your liquor to go back home is in the Duty Free shop in the airport coming home, the souvenir shops will rob you!!! The mini bottles of rum are like $3 dolars and I got the biggest bottle of Coco mania rum for like $10 dollars. Don't Pay more than $35 dollars for a cab ride to or from the Montego Bay Airport, private or not. NEGOTIATE EVERY PURCHASE IN JAMAICA, I DON'T CARE WHAT IT IS, EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABE, AS THEY TRY TO PRICE GAUGE YOU IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THINGS COST.

-Stop at the High-lo, which is the local supermarkets in Montego Bay and pick up a few necessities for your room. We took Tuna Fish, Peanut butter and Jelly, Snacks, etc with us. Little snacks to hold you over while out and about or in your hotel save you a lot of money. We mostly bought dinners. Get your Juice, Sodas, and Red Stripes, from the hi-lo supermarket, it will save you money to do other things like tours, catamarans, watersports and other fun filled activities..

I have a good Driver if you need a referral, write me for the name and number, or any other questions. Enjoy your vaca in Negril!!!!!!

Room Tip: Check all your bedding, th window seals and other corners for Ants.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
18  Thank melabrh
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Penthouse of Blue Cave Castle during the week of July 4th. We Stayed at Zimbali Retrats in the mountain for the first half of our trip, and then Blue Cave Castle for the final three nights. We had a wonderful time and I wish we had stayed at BCC longer. Even though there was no air conditioning, the room was very cool at night and I actually had to turn off one of the fans and turn down the ceiling fan because I was too cold. I live in FL and love my AC, but the breeze was more than enough.

The views from the three balconies are amazing, especially from the very top. At night my husband and I went up to the top balcony to watch the stars and just relax. It was beautiful. My husband also woke up every morning to watch the sun rise. We spent quite a bit of time snorkeling (brought our own) in front of BCC as well as jumping from the cliff (well... my husband did, I just took pictures). One day we took a cab to the lighthouse and took the tour to the top. Lot's of fun, but a bit tall for someone who is afraid of heights. After that we walked to Rick's (5 min walk) and had a great time jumping off the cliffs and people watching. The catamarans bring people in around 4pm, so I would recommend getting there a bit earlier to get a good seat.

We ate dinner at BCC each night and Teddy's food was great. He served us at the tables overlooking the water which made the dinner perfect. We ate breakfast each morning in the same place. I would recommend Teddy's pancakes and Johnny cakes, although everything was very good. Having coffee provided each morning was very nice and for the rest of our drinks/ snacks we just walked across the street to the little store. They were very nice there and took our USD when we didn't have any JMD left (bought small things like water so they would exchange for us too). For lunch we typically explored the local restaurants. Our favorite was Three Drives and it's an easy walk from the hotel, although the road can be a bit dangerous to walk along. Another day we took a cab into town one day for about 5 dollars to explore the beach, but we actually preferred relaxing at the Castle and do didn't stay for long.

Overall we had an amazing time at Blue Cave Castle and I'd strongly recommend it to all of my friends and family. If you're looking for an all inclusive with restaurants, tours and pools this is not the place for you, but if you're looking for a great place to relax with great people (other gusts were great and so was the staff!), then this is the place to stay. We had a wonderful time and if/when we return to Jamaica, we will definitely stay at Blue Cave Castle.

Room Tip: Penthouse had a wonderful breeze that kept in cool at night.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn R
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The castle is just wonderful. We have stayed there four times one being our honeymoon in the Penthouse suite. Teddys Hideaway may be the best chef/ meal that you can get in Negril- try Teddys Lobster Thermadore- trust! Cute little bars around the area, along with places to stop and get a bite to eat. The swimming is great as long as the seas are calm- otherwise you might have to cab it down to the beach for some swimming.

Give the castle a try- hope you love it as much as we do.

Room Tip: weve tryed several rooms there- just depends on what you want... A/C, on the water, outdoor shower o...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple