“Views to die for” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Cave Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Blue Cave Castle
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Views to die for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

We stayed here after spending the first 6 nights in Port antonio. The drive was surprisingly good. The roads from port antonio to negril are very good and we did the trip in around 3 hours. Arriving at the Penthouse at blue cave castle was an incredible. You have a truly panoramic view and could see all along the beach and around the cliffs. There are 3 different balconies with the penthouse, all of a great size and 1 of them also has a shower and toilet. With a small kitchen, there was really no need to leave the comfort of your own space other than to stock up on the red stripe or to go out to dinner. The in house restaurant was superb. I did not miss having air conditioning although I thought that I may and I did not get eaten alive by mosquitos. ( nb.the rest of my visit they came down on me with knives and forks) Altogether a great time was had here and if was not for the fact that my partner has mobility problems and the stairs were too much for him, I would book this again in a heatbeat.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

The Blue Cave Castle is the most sensational place I have ever stayed at and I've traveled to nearly every continent on Earth. This place is absolutely gorgeous. It's utterly private, the decorations are fantastic, and the view is to die for. How emotionally and spiritually satisfying is it to wake up and have a delicious, orgasmic breakfast by the multi-colored sea, sparkling with all its glory? And to have dinner under the stars, to hear the waves crashing against the cliffs at night when you sleep?

I found out about the BCC by reading this site. Now I can join the happy group of travelers and share my positive experiences.

The BCC is a true castle experience. Everyone is SO FRIENDLY and watches out for you, makes sure you have a good time but also stay safe. You feel like you're staying with family. You will never feel alone in this place. And it's by far, the best place on West End Road, if not all of Negril. If you hate the all-inclusive places like I do--which btw take money away from local Jamaicans in the tourist industry--you will enjoy the bonus of staying at the BCC even more.

Teddy's cooking at the BCC is absolutely AMAZING. His service is impeccable, and his company is an honor and privilege. Jamaica is a fantastic place--you will never forget it. Why not make it more glorious and stay at the BCC?

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2010

My parents arrainged to renew their wedding vows in Negril at Blue Cave Castle on December 5. Located on a cliff just feet above the ocean there is something quite serene about this establishment. The locals are warm and freindly. The food is great.. Teddy , the hotel Chef is amazing. ( Lobster Thermadore is a must!!!!). Petrona is the sweetest person I've met. She made the entire stay, wedding included, a pleasure. I'm planning my return trip in April. I had a wonderful time. If your looking for a place to reflect, watch the sunset, meditate or just have a great time with your freinds and family, Blue Cave Castle is the way to go!!!!

Cypress, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

This is our 6th visit to Blue Cave Castle and we will probably never stay anywhere else! We tried another place up the road once but wanted to come back to Blue Cave Castle as quickly as possible. All the staff is super friendly and nice, there's a restaurant on site (Teddy is a GREAT cook), it's safe, and free coffee in the mornings to boot! What a great place to stay when in Negril, we would not have it any other way!!! Can't wait to come back for trip #7!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank russrimm
Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

We stayed at BCC from September 5th through the 16th. Although we usually stay different places every time we go to Negril, I will definitely be staying here again!! The staff is absolutely wonderful and, if you need anything, all you have to do is ask. If you don't want to venture out to get food, the chef on the property, Teddy, makes some amazing meals. Eating there is definitely a must. There's a quiet, laid-back vibe there that is great. The only problem we had was that our A/C didn't work the first night because someone had reset the code on the remote. That was quickly addressed the next morning by Petrona and we had no other issues with it. Our stay was exactly what we needed and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone . You can't beat the price, and you get top notch service as well.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bressler5
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

It's been almost a year since I stayed in the Blue Cave Castle and as I'm searching around Tripadvisor for my next adventure I thought that I ought to share some advice with fellow trippers on the hotel and Jamaica in general.
Firstly Jamaica is a poor country filled with beautiful people. Many Jamaicans work for very little but usually have a great big smile for courteous travellers. Of course whereever you have rich tourists you will also have rip off merchants, drugs and prostitution. Negril is definitely no exception. Negril village itself in fact is quite dangerous at night and best avoided. Having said that many of the gange dealers and hookers are friendly and chilled out and accept a clear 'no' quickly.
We went in the rainy season when there aren't as many visitors to 7 mile beach which means that we had plenty of spliff sellers targeting us.
Anyway, about the hotel.
The Blue Cave Castle is run by a New York lady who takes no nonsense from anybody but treat her respectfully and she will help you out anyway she can. Her lady manager is a delight. The hotel has 24 hour security and its own private chef, a yellow eyed young man who knows how to cook a lobster!
I only meant to stay a few days but ended up staying more than a week. I think I payed 80 dollars a night, a great bargain! My room had air con which is essential in the tropics, plus a great shower, cable tv and wooden shutters on the windows.
Of course the selling point of the Blue Cave Castle is that its literally built over small caves that you can swim into when there's no swell. We pretty much had the hotel to ourselves and each evening at half five I would sit out in the large gardens, light up a Jamaican cigar and watch the fantastic sunsets, which ended promptly at 6.10 with sudden darkness. The cicadas kick in for half an hour then before going to bed.
Perhaps because it was the rainy season but we had no problems with noisy guests or strange happenings. I should mention that the hotel is a half a mile from 7 mile beach , on the cliffs part of Negril. There's a great little internet shop a few hundred yards away run a young black american with big muscles who also sells great ice cream!
And there's a supermarket in Negril which sells plenty of beers and toiletries and all the other things I usually need. The Blue Cave also sells beers and coffees when the chef is around!
I went scuba diving in a hotel two hundred yards further up the beach run by Germans, I'm sure you can just google the name. Also I went snorkelling far out on the reef by just hitching a lift on a water taxi passing by.
Jamaica is a fantastic place but you have to show some common sense. There's a strong gun and macho culture among the young men and if you have knees as white as mine its best to stay away from the more dangerous places.
However every taxi we got was driven by a great guy, all the girls in the shops and restaurants were always smiling and even the hookers and drug dealers were chilled out! Just don't flash hundred dollar bills around places you don't know.
My memory of the place only sweetens with time.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DocFarrell
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

Me and my spouse went to Blue Cave Castle and stayed in the penthouse suite. We have mixed emotions about our stay.

First, the good.
-There was a cook onsite, Teddy, who made incredible food. Slightly overpriced however wont break the bank. Jerk chicken is to die for.
-Swimming off the cliffs is a great experience with very warm water and great snorkling (bring your own gear).
-Penthouse had three private balconies, great for private sun tanning during the day and incredible star filled skies by night. We laid out one night counting the shooting stars.
-The waitress on-site was the best I have ever had. She was so sweet and accomodating.

The bad:
-The first day and a half we were there we had NO WATER. Unable to flush the toilet, shower or run the taps. After a swim in the salt water then bathing in your own sweat from the heat, a shower would have been nice. The downsides of not being able to flush the toilet speak for themselves and having no running water limits us from washing our hands, brushing our teeth and limits the types of food to prepare. We were told its because of a drought in the area, also we were notified by a staff member that a watermain broke in Negril... who knows. All I knew is that ALL the lower floors had water and we were even offered to shower in one of them if we wanted to. (They must have been linked to another water pipe than us.)
-The walk to the local mini-mart is an adventure in itself. You are constantly followed and questioned while walking down the road. Many many locals trying to sell you drugs, jewelry, coffee, etc... they would call you over (or chase you down) and when you would refuse to have any interest they would get insulted that you wouldnt allow hem to show you their "merchandise". They need to make a living, which is understood, and a simple firm "no" usually was sufficient but sometimes its not. The first time I went my wife said she would watch me from the front gate, just incase, however she was instructed to come inside as it was not safe for her to be out there.The local mini-mart has all the necessities (bring Jamaican $). They accept US$, however all prices are listed in JA. Save yourself any confusions of currency exchange or fabricated exchange rates.

-The rooms have no panes of glass on the windows so the noises from outside are sometimes excessive (especially at night). Our first night we did not sleep AT ALL. There were CONSTANTLY stray dogs barking, extremely loud car mufflers, loud music and honking horns. Once the noise began to subside at around 5:30 a.m., the hundreds of roosters began with their cockadidledoos... time for breakfast.

-There were also thousands of bugs in and around the kitchen, bathroom sinks and furniture. We sprayed everything with bugspray but they always seemed to come back.

Blue Cave was definately a destination we were looking forward to and unfortunately it did disappoint. It was one thing for me to "rough it out" but I felt bad my woman had to go through it as well. We were going for relaxation, privacy and quietness. Even though, at times, BCC did provide that, there were far too many negatives that prevented it from happening.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles