“Unique” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Cave Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Blue Cave Castle
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Val-des-Monts
“Unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

The best thing about the castle is the people; Petrona. Susan and Teddy made our stay very enjoyable. But, what is even more fun is that, with 14 rooms, the guests all know eachother and all have different stories to tell. The best is in the morning, where everyone meets for coffee and chat...

Being in the ocean ALONE at night, with no one around but the bats flying in and out of the cave was wicked...

We loved every second of it. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
negril
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

Blue Cave Castle has great views, is very secure, has a very relaxed, friendly atmosphere, and the the staff is exceptional. They could not be more accommodating. I stayed there for six days. Since the room I wanted to stay in wasn't available for the entire six days I took the unusual step of booking three different rooms during my six day stay--two days in the penthouse, two in the upper tower, and two in the deluxe #3 room.

First, if I stay there again it will only be in the penthouse. You really do feel like you are king of the castle there with three levels, including the lower level with a large sunning area with loungers, a picnic table, and even a shower, the middle level which houses the bedroom, equipped with a small kitchenette, coffee maker, refrigerator, and a small tv, and another balcony with a fantastic view, and an upper level which looks out over the compound and has a higher turret that puts you at least 75 feet above the Caribbean for a truly spectacular view of the ocean, the compound, and even a good view of the coastline of Negril.

Second, the upper tower. Simply, this is pretty much just a room of about 15' by 15'. Nothing spectacular. It's a place to sleep. After staying in the penthouse I couldn't help feeling a little claustrophobic. And it does have a little boom box radio as do the other rooms but no TV. You can see the coastline on either side of the castle and have a direct view of the ocean, albeit from the shuttered windows that are a little restrictive if you're trying to get a good pic from your room. Also, while there is small refrigerator there is no coffee maker. And while they do serve free coffee every morning in the courtyard I found myself really wanting a coffee maker in the room. I asked Susan, the owner, about it and she graciously gave me a brand new coffee maker for my room so I could enjoy the Blue Mountain coffee I purchased from the little store down the street from the castle.

The Deluxe #3 room was definitely bigger than the upper tower but smaller than the penthouse. Again, nothing spectacular. And your view is limited to either side of the coastline of the castle as there is no direct view out over the ocean from this room. I took my coffee maker with me from the tower room when I moved for the last time since there was no coffee maker in this room either. The room has a refrigerator as well but no TV.

They have a very good maid service and during my stay they did an excellent job cleaning up the rooms without disturbing any of my items. You don't have to worry about any of your high-priced items walking when you're out. That said, I don't recommend leaving a wad of cash out in plain sight either. Some things are just common sense though really.

The restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Teddy is the cook. Susan lets him pretty much do his own thing and I have to say that his food is exemplary. Expect to wait 20-30 mins before you get your meal, especially in the evenings, but the wait is worth is. I grew up on the Gulf Coast and am a bit of a snob when it comes to fresh seafood but I can report without hesitation that Teddy prepares some of the most mouth-watering dishes I have eaten, and it is always fresh. The first night I was there I had his Lobster Thermidor (sp?) since I read so many reviews about it and I have to say it did not disappoint. It was simply outstanding. Even breakfast with bacon, toast, eggs, and juice was just a treat to eat. Teddy truly has a gift and if I stay at the Blue Cave again it will be in large part so I'll be able to sample more of his cuisine--yes, it's that good!

Overall, I had a great time in Negril and I am so glad I did not give in to the temptation to go to an all-inclusive, instead choosing to "go local" for the most part. I stayed at Blue Cave and rented a scooter from just across the street from Gus (Gasford Graham) for $35/day. Don't freak out about the whole fear of driving thing in Jamaica. The first day I was there I walked probably 5 or 6 miles into town and while nice to see everything up close and great for allowing me to stop and take pictures (yes, I carried a very nice Canon DSLR camera down the street without any fear of being mugged) it got old quickly and by day two I wanted a better way to get around. I could've called for a taxi but I'm the type who likes to go when i want to go and am not very patient when it comes to that sort of thing. So the scooter was perfect for me and Gus, while I initially had my doubts about him as he hit me as the used-car salesman type, couldn't be nicer or more accommodating and I am so glad I rented a scooter from him. $35/day may seem like a lot but get used to the idea real fast that inflation in Jamaica is rampant and everything in Jamaica costs out the ying-yang. Don't go there expecting to penny-pinch 'cause it's just not gonna happen.

A six pack of Red Stripe runs almost $20 and that is on the cheap end. A decent dinner with a drink is at least $40. If you smoke, be prepared to spend at least $10 on a pack of cigarettes. Hell, the only thing that's probably reasonable to someone from the States is ganja.

A word about the smoking situation in Negril: Let's face it, this is one of the things Jamaica is known for. I won't go into too much more than that since this website would probably censure it anyway. Just know that it is everywhere and plentiful and if you do plan to smoke just use a little common sense and very soon you will figure out when and where it's cool to light up and when it's not. To give you an idea about what you may likely expect, of the first six Jamaicans I met when I made it to the island, I was asked no less than four times if I needed any smoke LOL. And after my visit there I would equate it with walking into a bar in the States and being asked if you'd like a beer LOL.

The one BIG negative about the Blue Cave is absolutely terrible Wifi connection. The staff all swear that the connection is great but I stayed in three different rooms while there and have a very new and up to date laptop and could not get any kind of connection in any of those rooms. I had to go down to the courtyard or the restaurant (and sit in the back closest to the office and presumably the router) to get even the weakest of signals. I believe this is a known problem after talking to other Negril locals but for whatever reason it's just not a big enough issue to Susan, the owner or Petrona, the manager, to do anything about. Frankly, it was a big disappointment because it's one of the things I specifically asked about when I called to book my stay.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Blue Cave. I was finally able to snorkel on the third day there--initially, the ocean was much too rough and it would've been dangerous to try since the waves were crashing onto the rocky shoreline something fierce. Also, the first couple days were incredibly windy and as I was at the top of the castle in the penthouse it was severe and pretty noisy. The wind died down eventually and with it the ocean so my stay was more enjoyable after that.

Would I stay again? You bet. But there are so many places to stay in Negril, I will likely look at other places on my return. But I will definitely be back to Negril....ya, mon!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank b_bwana1
Stout, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

My husband was really intrigued by the pictures and the reviews on this site. We had stayed nearby a few years earlier and visited the Castle. We got positive feedback from guests, but it looked a bit funky - like something out of the sixties - or the past, from my recollection. Since I had to spend a great deal of time in online classes during the trip, I decided to let my husband choose the location and he went with the Castle. This place was actually great for this trip because, while I hung on our little porch, enjoying the scenery and group conversation within earshot of a common gathering area, my husband was able to meet and converse with the other guests in the morning wile he enjoyed his coffee. The coffee is put out daily in a little hut with sugar, sweet milk and hot water for teas. As the morning progresses, the kitchen staff arrives and walks about the grounds, where there are tables and chairs set up overlooking the ocean, taking one's breakfast order. The breakfast food was very good - YUMMY! - You can order a la carte or a full meal. They also serve dinner, which is different each night and quite good. Teddy, the cook has a dinner specialty of Lobster Thermidor, which we had on our last night. I tend not to like dishes with white sauce, but this was an exception. EXCELLENT. We dined one evening in the restaurant and one night on the grounds, overlooking the ocean. Everybody had the same idea that night and there were only 2 on the kitchen staff, so waiting time was lengthy, but the views were great, the company of the other guests pleasant and the food excellent. Prices are moderate (Negril prices are low compared with the states) for dinner and very reasonable for breakfast. No lunches are served here, but there are a wealth of interesting places to go to for lunch nearby within walking distance, or you can head to the 7 mile beach for the afternoon. There is a watchman at the gate. They really pay attention to the action both inside the Castle and outside the gate, and are very concerned for your safety. Whoever is at the gate will call a cab for you unless you have found a cabbie you like who you can call by cell phone - they will all give you their cards when you ride with them. The rooms are all different , and each one has it's charms. We stayed in the Egyptian room, because that is the only room that was left when we booked, but we found it quite suitable - not fancy, but very adequate. I was concerned for our comfort ,because we both have back trouble, but we both slept VERY WELL. There is an air conditioner, but I found that we only needed it occasionally in the mid-afternoon if we wanted to nap. At nighttime, it was just not necessary. The shades were levered and let in a nice ocean breeze. There was a great view of the ocean from the porch. There is a stationary table and benches on the porch as well, where we enjoyed a few private lunches and breakfasts with food we brought back from our ramblings about Negril. There was a fridge in the room, and a small store across the street where you could buy rum, rum cream ( WONDERFUL) and Red Stripe beer. There was also a bakery down the street with pastries, bread and pickled fish with onion, that was just fantastic. The ocean was rough and the waves high while we were there, which led to some real excitement. One of our friends had been in the tower room and actually had to move one night to stay dry. The staff is small but very accommodating. The manager lives on the grounds and the owner has an apartment there as well. It's a very cozy, friendly place. One negative for me would be that there is no pool, which I like, however, when the ocean is calm, as it is most of the time, you can go right down the stairs and jump right into the ocean. We snorkeled one day, and it is not the best snorkeling along the cliffs, but certainly, there are fish to see, and some corals. Rough water prevented us from hiring a boat to take us to some better snorkeling spots, but they do exist. The ocean at the beach, which is usually unnervingly calm ( we are used to the Atlantic's waves ) was very pleasant all week, with mild waves breaking just off shore. It is quite easy to get out in the water. All the hotels and vendors on the beach are open to the public. You can walk the beach and stop at any bar or restaurant for some refreshment. I really liked this because we got a chance to experience some other places' ambiance during the days we went to 7 mile beach. We noticed, however, that most hotels have locals employed as watchmen on the beach to keep panhandlers and vendors from approaching you on their property. This does happen quite often. You just have to decide how you will politely say no if you are just not interested, however, I felt safe trading with the beach vendors and those on the cliffs if I wanted to do so. After 2 visits to Negril, we know we are "cliff dwellers" :-). We like the quiet of the cliffs and the chance to walk about up there, snorkel or swim near the cliffs, and enjoy the AMAZING SUNSETS! Sunset is a HAPPENiNG on the Cliffs , where the Castle is located. So- go to the Blue Cave Castle Web Site, check out the rooms - book your trip and go see for yourself! It's not the Ritz- Carlton. It's not all inclusive. It's a slice of Jamaican hospitality. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jamakeum
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

We specifically picked out the Castle for its unique character, location, price (compare to many others) and the view. I was not disappointed.

We stayed at the Tower room one night and it was a great experience. The room(s) situated right above the cliff where ocean wave keeps pounding on the rocks beneath. You hear the sound, and you feel the pounding force. It was a great feeling. In the morning, the view through the wooden shutter is even better than pictured on the web. The ocean breeze coming through the window mixed with blue sky and blue ocean water accompanied by the sound of the wave was an exhilarating experience.

The Superior 8 room where we stayed thereafter was a bigger room with equally beautiful view of the ocean, though IMO not as spectacular as the Tower rooms. We also had a lot more amenities such as TV and mini fridge. A close proximity to the Wi-Fi spot was also a big plus to us at this room.

Aside from the views at these rooms, I simply loved the bathrooms. They are tiled, spacious and all in different style. I wished I had them in my own home! Seriously.

Wake up in the morning, sitting before the blue ocean under the sun while drinking a cup of free Blue Mountain coffee and listen to the ocean wave was a tranquilizing experience.

The staff were just as fantastic as the beautiful view at the Castle. They were friendly, helpful and very easy going. Brandy the dog is so lovely that you wouldn't think she can guard the front door (along with the night guard) every night with all her attentiveness. Teddy the kitchen boss knows how to cook. The sauce (in a little dish) that goes with Jerk Chicken he made is just so mysteriously addicting. Last but not least, Petrona the manager, who is super friendly, kind, understanding and helpful, who is willing to go for the extra miles to get your needs meet, questions answered. She really knows her way around Negril! Ask her if you don't know what to do.

That said, there are a few things people may feel differently. First, you really need to get used to the ocean wave sound. I couldn't sleep the first night at the Tower room because of the pounding wave on the rocks. It's a very unique experience and it takes a different expectation to appreciate the room. Secondly, the water pressure in the rooms we stayed was relatively low. It was not a problem for me since I know we didn't come to a 5 star luxury hotel. Some people complaint about the bugs. In my case, there were some ants which didn't bother me at all. I have been to tropical countries and ants are common in most places. The noise from the street was bit of annoying, I simply don't know where the locals got their ideas from with those loud exhaust pipes and loud motorcycles....;) However, that's the same for most if not all the hotels on that stretch. I have to admit the nearby roosters did get up a bit too early (4:30 am).

The little grocery shop near the Castle was pretty convenient to us. We could get water, soda, snacks, beer, fruit and much more. The price is high but that's the same through out the whole town. The currency exchange rate is also better than the airport but not as high as the banks at Negril Town. When we walked on the street, we were asked if we wanted to buy this and that. My impression is that people there do take NO for an answer unless they throw you a "No respect mun?" :D Well, you still don't have to buy but be polite about it.

We know there are other good places in Negril offer equally good services and views to the sea, but none gives you the experience what BCC has for you. Blue Cave Castle, it's rock solid.

1 Thank weiover
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

We stayed here after spending the first 6 nights in Port antonio. The drive was surprisingly good. The roads from port antonio to negril are very good and we did the trip in around 3 hours. Arriving at the Penthouse at blue cave castle was an incredible. You have a truly panoramic view and could see all along the beach and around the cliffs. There are 3 different balconies with the penthouse, all of a great size and 1 of them also has a shower and toilet. With a small kitchen, there was really no need to leave the comfort of your own space other than to stock up on the red stripe or to go out to dinner. The in house restaurant was superb. I did not miss having air conditioning although I thought that I may and I did not get eaten alive by mosquitos. ( nb.the rest of my visit they came down on me with knives and forks) Altogether a great time was had here and if was not for the fact that my partner has mobility problems and the stairs were too much for him, I would book this again in a heatbeat.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

The Blue Cave Castle is the most sensational place I have ever stayed at and I've traveled to nearly every continent on Earth. This place is absolutely gorgeous. It's utterly private, the decorations are fantastic, and the view is to die for. How emotionally and spiritually satisfying is it to wake up and have a delicious, orgasmic breakfast by the multi-colored sea, sparkling with all its glory? And to have dinner under the stars, to hear the waves crashing against the cliffs at night when you sleep?

I found out about the BCC by reading this site. Now I can join the happy group of travelers and share my positive experiences.

The BCC is a true castle experience. Everyone is SO FRIENDLY and watches out for you, makes sure you have a good time but also stay safe. You feel like you're staying with family. You will never feel alone in this place. And it's by far, the best place on West End Road, if not all of Negril. If you hate the all-inclusive places like I do--which btw take money away from local Jamaicans in the tourist industry--you will enjoy the bonus of staying at the BCC even more.

Teddy's cooking at the BCC is absolutely AMAZING. His service is impeccable, and his company is an honor and privilege. Jamaica is a fantastic place--you will never forget it. Why not make it more glorious and stay at the BCC?

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2010

My parents arrainged to renew their wedding vows in Negril at Blue Cave Castle on December 5. Located on a cliff just feet above the ocean there is something quite serene about this establishment. The locals are warm and freindly. The food is great.. Teddy , the hotel Chef is amazing. ( Lobster Thermadore is a must!!!!). Petrona is the sweetest person I've met. She made the entire stay, wedding included, a pleasure. I'm planning my return trip in April. I had a wonderful time. If your looking for a place to reflect, watch the sunset, meditate or just have a great time with your freinds and family, Blue Cave Castle is the way to go!!!!