“Excellence defined”

Ranked #8 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Halifax
“Excellence defined”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This was our third trip to Couples Negril and we were transferred from Couples Sans Souci the week before.

The transfer was compliments of Couples and was great. They scheduled it around our schedule and the drive was great.

Check in was smooth and we were allowed one preference without question, which was not to have a ground floor room. Our only problem during the stay was that I had to go get my bags from the lobby after we went to grab some lunch which was over an hour. Not a big deal.

Last year we had some minor complaints and we were just so happy that EVERY one of them had been addressed this year.

Room: The room is nothing fancy, but certainly not bad and kept clean and well stocked with towels and whatever we needed.

Food: All I can say is OH MY! The food was over the top. We ate at all the restaurants and every meal was fantastic. If you're a repeater, don't miss the repeater's dinner because there aren't enough adjectives to describe how good it was. Don't miss any of the soups as every one of them was an absolute delight. Service (Even at the buffet) was top notch and there was a lot of attention to detail. Donna has things honed to a keen edge.

Staff: All the staff was friendly and available whenever needed and everyone seemed tuned in.

Grounds and pool: Everything was kept up very well despite the weather putting some pretty big challenges in the mix.

Entertainment: We really enjoyed the mix of entertainment. The steel drum band is a don't miss and the piano bar is a lot of fun. There was a singer (Forget his name though) who did a great history of reggae and he has some real talent.

Water sports: Great stuff here too. I was a little chagrined when they said it was too windy to sail one morning when I saw a number of boats out from another resort. I decided they were right though when I watched a bunch of the other resort's Hobie cats have to be flipped back up. LOL.

Weather: Their weather department could use some work as they didn't give us the weather we wanted, but we still enjoyed our stay. ;-)

You just couldn't go wrong with Couples Negril.

3 Thank HalifaxQuestor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,019)
  • Polish first
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Let me first say this was our 1st all inclusive experience and it didn't disappoint. We didn't do any tours so much to do on resort. We had a $300 resort credit for booking early last year and it worked out great as we bought photos taken by resort with most of the money and had enough left over for things from gift shop. For the money and things included in my opinion you can't beat a couples property. The Sunset Catamaran, snorkeling, glass bottom, other water sports and shuttle for trips all included. We don't drink much, but top shelf liquors and they're stiff drinks too. Full wet bar in room and filled daily you could order white and red wine plus take champagne bottle from bar to room if you wanted.

At CN you have a lot of beach frontage, shade trees, plenty of chairs with *floats* and the bay stays calm even on windy days. Due to more beach frontage you get approached a lot less by vendors at Couples Negril. Employees/staff always asking how is your stay and if you need anything. The food is in my opinion GREAT and better than several cruises we've been on. We had a Deluxe Garden room and it was perfect cold air, hot water and good water pressure. We stayed in block 3 with back to the road, but the road noise never bothered us. We only stayed in room long enough to sleep, enjoy personal time and take showers. I would recommend this resort to anyone and we'll defiantly be going back ASAP........Thank You Couples Negril for a wonderful vacation and great way to celebrate 20 years.

6 Thank BamaLiz
Fort William, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This was our third trip to a Couples resort and while it was beautiful and the staff was friendly I got Salmonella from eating a Chicken caesar salad at the Beach Grill. It happened 2 days before we went home and I did not know it was Salmonella until I arrived back home and was tested in the ER. One week after I contacted Salmonella I was diagnosed with Reactive Arthritis and 10 weeks later I am still on medication and seeing a Rheumatologist. When I reported my illness to Couples management after arriving home, they were very apologetic but were unable to reimburse me for expenses. My claim has been turned over to an Insurance Underwriter in Kingston, Jamaica who basically has ignored my pleas. I am frustrated that a 5 star resort would treat a return guest this way and I am looking into hiring an international lawyer. I realize Salmonella can be contacted anywhere but I am very disappointed in how my experience was handled.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank ppine
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This being our first all-inclusive we were spoiled! No all-inclusive has been able to match it! The food was great, we loved the access to the snack bar all day. The beach was absolutely breath-taking! We couldn't have asked for better service or a nicer staff. My favorite part was that they let you take the rafts out into the ocean. The water was so calm and relaxing and to be able to lay on a raft and feel like you could float all day was out of this world! The beach service was great, the drinks were delicious! We did not have an oceanfront room but my husband said it was the most comfortable bed he's ever slept in!

Room Tip: My massasge at the spa was the best massage I have ever had!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank love2travel2005
Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We went to Couples Negril for our 10 year anniversary, and it was fantastic. This is our first all-inclusive so we don't have anything to compare it to, but if every inclusive resort is as good as this one we will never do anything else! The food was great, the service was perfect almost everywhere (the last night the service staff was only okay at Heliconia but we were spoiled with top notch everywhere else), the room was nice and the beach was spectacular. I suggest taking advantage of all of the inclusion provided. The other couple we went with said that all of the other resorts they have been to did not have as many inclusions as Couples Negril.
We never had to worry about not finding a lounge chair, and the beach was pristine. One thing I felt the entire time, the staff never once made me feel like they HAD to help me or serve me, almost everyone was happy to help and seemed like they were happy to work there. I never felt like I was a burden, and customer service and care is my number one priority.
I don't want to go anywhere else after Couples Negril, everyone says you have to try more, but how could it be better than that?

Room Tip: We were in building 3 ont the third floor. Not great to hike up the extra flight of stairs, but no...
5 Thank jsvanthoff
WIsconsin
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed at Couples Negril from 4/15 – 4/22. This was our fifth stay. Bus trip from the airport was non-eventful. Driver was quiet the whole trip. We met a group of first-timers from Iowa. We filled them in on a few sights on the way and some things to try to do during their stay.
We got to the hotel about 2:15 and went through the usual check-in. Our room wasn’t ready so we went to grab a bite at the Beach Grill. Things here are about the same. Confusion was evident in the grill area with orders either being misplaced or lost. We ordered the jerk chicken and a snapper sandwich. It took about 20 minutes to get our order.
Went back to the front desk after lunch and our room still wasn’t ready. So, we walked around the grounds for a while, stopped at the swim-up bar and the beach bar and had a couple of drinks. Ran into the Iowa folks. We asked if they had gotten their rooms. They told us yes. We went back to the front desk and were told our room wasn’t ready. This is now about 4:45. I asked what the problem was and magically our room was ready. We thought that repeaters would have been treated with a bit more care. I requested a call from the GM but never got one.
When we got to our room our bags had not been delivered. The bell-person had gone to the wrong building. He eventually found us and we got our luggage. We get a knock on the door and it’s the in-room bar stocker. I asked if we could get our Carib beer replaced with Red Stripe. I was told that I had to talk to the manager about it. This has never been a problem in the past. It seems logical to me to have a Jamaican product at a Jamaican hotel in Jamaica. The choice of Carib has never been explained to me.
We ran into many staff that remembered us from past visits. The staff and service is the main reason that we have kept coming back. You can have the best location and food on the planet but if your staff is lacking your business will not do well.
Went to the repeaters dinner and the menu was outstanding as usual. We went to Lychee for dinner on Tuesday. My wife asked for a Lychee martini and I asked for a vodka martini with an olive. I was told that I couldn’t have a regular martini. I was never told why. The food was very good. We ate at Cassava several times for both ala-carte and buffet dining . Service was always prompt and friendly and food was tasty for the most part. Entertainment for us there was hit or miss. The house band is quite talented. You can tell that they don’t really enjoy playing dinner music. A couple of acts were brought in to work with the band. Some of the music is very Americanized. A group called Jah Messenger was excellent. A male vocalist was also there. He sometimes used the band and sometimes used “canned” music. Although he had a great voice, for us this was no more than glorified karaoke. We never ate at Heliconia except for lunch. We checked the menu daily and nothing really ever stood out. We did find it odd that one night for an entrée at Heliconia a hamburger was listed and on another there was some type of macaroni and cheese.
Overall our stay was as expected but for a few unwanted experiences. Because of these negatives, we are not sure we will be returning to Couples Negril.

9 Thank Sherm58
Toronto Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We were at CN from April 4th - 9th to attend a wedding. This was our 2nd visit to CN. Our 1st visit was 9 years ago and our first Couples experience. We loved it! However we discovered CSA and since have going to CSA regularly (11 times). Being invited to a wedding at CN was the perfect reason to go back to CN. We loved it as much we did the first time. Everything was pretty much perfect. The only thing I found disapointing was the check in process. Unfortunately this is your first face to face contact with the resort staff and first impressions can be lasting. Not a good way to start your vacation. I would like to thank Richardo Bowleg for sorting out the confusion and getting back to me promptly the next morning with the answers. We have met Mr Bowleg when he was at CSA and I know he will do a great job at CN. It was nice to speak to him a few other times under better circumstances throughout our stay. You can tell he really cares about the guests as well as his staff.

We had a Deluxe Beachfront room (6306) which had a nice view of the gardens, ponds and some beach as well as ocean. Room was very comfortable and I had no problem sleeping even though it was some what close to the Cassava. Just had to make sure the windows and door to the bathroom were closed. I'm trying not to compare CN to CSA too much because each have their own beauty but the only thing I missed in this room was being able to hear the tree frogs. That is maybe a good thing because the room was very quiet and good for sleeping. I have to give special mention to the housekeeping services. They kept our room spotless and well stocked with towels and facecloths. We even had turn down service every night. But I have to say I was amazed by both the housekeeping service and the concierge service. I'm jumping a little ahead here so bare with me a moment and I will get back to CN. After our 5 days at CN we moved over to CSA. A few days into our stay I realized I was missing a bathing suit top and must had left it at CN. I had put it in a white plastic bag and probably left it on the bed where is blended in with the sheets. I wasn't expecting to get it back because I figured it would get rolled in with the sheets and be lost. But I spoke to the concierge at CN who called the concierge at CN and the next day my bathing suit top was waiting for me at CSA. Thank you to everyone at CN that helped me get my top back.

I can't comment on the restaurants at CN because we had all of our meals at the Cassava except for 1 lunch. Everyday we would look at the menu's and there was something we just had to have for dinner at the Cassava so we never tried the the restaurants. I know that sounds silly but we love eating outside and the atmosphere at the Cassava was perfect for us. Plus every dinner we had was delicious. I loved the Jamaican selections. We had room service a couple of mornings and it was always on time and banana bread is wonderful.

We enjoyed the snorkeling trip, catamaran cruise and the trip to Push Cart. That was something new for us. Nice place. Just in case you are wondering, CSA does a similar trip to the Sands.

As I mentioned we were there for a wedding and I have to say CN does an amazing job on their weddings. It was beautiful. I expecially enjoyed the cake, appetizers and champagne reception in the garden area by the spa. I had never seen this area use for a reception and I have to say it was beautiful. The grounds in this area are spectacular and when lit up by candles and torches it's like a fairy land. Everything about the wedding was perfect. My only suggestion to CN would be to try to keep people from the Au Natural beach from standing in the water and watching the weddings. It make taking pictures awkward and some of the guests are uncomfortable with the display. I'm not trying to be judgmental but a little respect for the occasion would be appreciated.

I have to mention something we discovered this time that is one of those memories you will keep for a lifetime. I hesitate because it's not something I'd recommend for everyone. We took our snorkel equipment down the beach and snorkeled off the rocks along BGN. We are strong swimmers with many years of snorkeling experience so we felt comfortable doing together. It was a great snorkel. There were lots of fish and we saw a couple of Lion fish (stay away form them) too. The best part was this huge Spotted Eagle Ray we saw. We followed it for awhile just watching it's graceful way of moving though the water. A little while later we saw the ray again, and again and again. We stopped swimming and watched the ray, it was watching us and swimming around us in a circle. It strange because I've felt like a fish was watch me but this one was and it circles it was making around us were getting smaller. We decided then that we had been out long enough and it was time to go back to the shore. The ray swam with us of a while longer and then disappeared. It was so cool.

We had a great trip to CN. I can certainly understand why people love it there. It's nicely laid out with easy access to everything. The staff are friendly and the service is excellent. I would recommend to my friends and especially for weddings. It a great set up for people of all ages. I've tried not to compare CN with CSA because what I like about each resort is not everyone's taste. I think if you are regular to either of these resort you owe it to yourself to try the other resort. I would suggest a split stay of at least 10 days starting with the new resort is the best way to get a feel for the place. Then, if new resort isn't to your taste (I can't imagine anyone hating either) you know that your vacation will end at your favorite place.

Thanks to all the staff at CN for making this a wonderful 2nd visit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank KayKayTorontoCanada
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,780 reviews

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!