“Paradise”

Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Negril
London, United Kingdom
“Paradise”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We was recommended to the couples Negril by good friends of ours, initially I thought not really sure on the idea as we have always stayed in family hotels having children. This was our first holiday aways from our children and I must say Couples Negril I didint have not 1 bad word to say against the hotel. Food was great, location/beach/pools/rooms brilliant, staff were pleasant, what more could we ask for. we enjoyed so much we were meant to stay in Couples Ochio Rios but only stayed there 3 nights and requested to come back to Negril I cant wait to return, but need to save hard :) If anyone is worrying about it being lovey dovey and people kissing and canoodling this is not the case. Actually a lot of the guys go off together and the women also. but definately the BEST hotel i hvae ever stayed in. We stayed in April 2012, bit late with the reveiw but better late than never

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 different rooms we had a beach front which was a beautiful view the 1st room was on t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank dcamp21062

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,027)
  • Polish first
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My husband and I were married in August (bringing 36 guests to the resort) and truly had an amazing time! Everything was great with the exception that we had three couples, including us, that had items stolen from their corresponding rooms! My husband's grandparents had $300.00 stolen out of a wallet left in the room, another friend had a very blingy (but VERY fake) ring stolen, and my husband and I had $200.00 stolen. We reported the incidents and someone was suppose to speak with us, but we had to get on a shuttle to the airport before anything was discussed. There are safes in the rooms, which we regretfully did not use. Do not make the same mistake we did! It is a beautiful place, but do not be naive!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Molly A
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My husband and I went to Couples Negril on our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. The beach was beautiful, the food was out of this world, and the staff were incredibly nice and friendly. The gym was also very large and impeccably clean. We had a lot of fun playing staff vs. guest volleyball (Thanks, Menard for recruiting us to play!). We aren't usually "resort people", preferring to spend our vacations camping and hiking, but Couples Negril was the perfect balance of relaxation and fun activities.
We stayed in a garden view room, which we both thought was lovely. My only complaint was that our room was slightly noisy since it was towards the back of the resort, towards the highway. This wasn't really a problem, just something I noticed.
Thanks for a great honeymoon, Couples!

Room Tip: None of the rooms seemed to have a clear Ocean View, but the "Ocean View" rooms were certa...
3 Thank Allie O
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 12 August 2012

This was our 9th trip to Couples Negril, the first with a new manager. There had been a lot of talk on the message boards about the changes so I was anxious to see for myself.

We arrived late on Thursday afternoon right after a being delayed in Orlando, delayed in Montego Bay and a big rain shower (we did take Airlink, Shane did a wonderful job avoiding the storm). We had enough time to check in, which went very smoothly, go to our room, put on our suits and go for a swim.

The changes –

The Newsstand - They have moved the photo desk to down below the stairs where the news stand was. The news stand is now on the beach. There is red, green and yellow shack, for the lack of a better word, on the beach that houses the news stand. Neither of us liked it and thought it was a bit of an eye sore. We were told though there Mrs. Issa is designing a new building for the newsstand so this will not be its permanent home.

Trainees and staff – It was wonderful to see old friends, shout outs to Elkie, Camille, Lindon, Carlos, Floy and Franklin, they are as wonderful as always. But the new trainees and staff are where we found things lacking, they are not quite as friendly or as interested. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part just not as it use to be.

Food – here is where we saw the biggest change and all for the good. The food is outstanding. Last year when the executive chef for the resort left, the lead sous chef stepped in and has now been promoted, Andre(I believe that is his name, I am very bad with names) is outstanding. We thought the food was better this year than in years past and the repeaters dinner was by far the best we have ever been to.

The highlights –

The Repeaters Dinner was wonderful and not to be missed.

The Olympics – they had put a TV in the beach bar and we were there when Jamaica won the gold and silver in the 100 meter, it was fabulous, to see the pride that Jamaicans have in their team was amazing.

The beach – it is still one of the most beautiful and very well tended by the staff.

The disappointments –

Check out – here is where the overall subtle changes in attitudes came in. First, I had to hunt down our departure notice and when I requested it from the front desk it was as if I was bothering them and was only told that I had to let the front desk know if our flight had changed. Then I had to request our departure snack bag.

The morning of check out – because of the level we are with the Romance Rewards program, we had a resort credit and upon check in there was a welcome package with a letter stating the credit amount. When I went to check out the amount of our credit covered all but a few dollars I stated that I had a credit I was asked at least ten times “You don’t have the letter?” . I will admit that my husband had not kept the letter that stated our romance rewards credit, however if I would think that it would have been or should have been noted on account.

But the last straw for me was regarding the balance. The amount I owed was $7.54, I figured to just leave it on my card, but was told that if it was less than $15.00 they only accepted cash, which was fine, but they don’t handle coins so instead of the $7.54 it became $8.00. It is not the $0.46 cents that bothered me, it was the fact that the policy is no coin and yet they do not round up or down. And to add insult to injury when I was handed my receipt instead of stating the $8.00 that I paid it said $7.54.

One last comment regarding the overall appearance, I have read a lot of reviews that resort is becoming a little tired and it is true. The hairdryer in our room did not work and finally maintenance did bring me another one. At one time there had been a leak in the bathroom and there is a bad stain on the mirror that really should be replaced, it gave the bathroom a completely neglected feel. Again, little things I know, but still showing cracks in the beautiful picture of Couples Negril.

Overall it was a really wonderful trip and I would not let the little things ever keep me away it is still heaven on earth and will always remain my favorite.

14 Thank blondie9093
Trabuco Canyon, California
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My wife and I just came back from our trip to Couples Negril.
The beach was beautiful, food was excellent and the service great!!!
However, I do not recommend this hotel. It looks and feels like it was built in the 70's or 80's and has not been remodeled since. Wooden patio doors were rotting and there was a good amount of mold in the bathroom.
For the price and category (4 stars) I do expect do be able to walk barefoot in my hotel room without being grossed out (and I am usually very easygoing when it comes to this stuff).
Go visit Negril, its beautiful, but please choose a different hotel!

8 Thank Boddel
Dunnellon, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2012

This is our 2nd stay at a Couples Resort, and once again found the experience to be warm and wonderful. I booked online, and then called a live operator in Jamaica for help to make sure that we got all the Honeymoon perks, as well. (Definitely worth the phone call to talk to a live person to make sure that you get all that you need for your stay!) We arrived July 17th for a weeks stay to wonderful weather and a warm greeting from the resort staff. Being our 2nd trip to a Couples Resort, we pretty much knew what to expect as far as standard of service and the quality of the rooms. We had a beachfront room with a terrific view of the sunset. Over the course of the week we took part in the couples massage, couples yoga class, and even scheduled a Honeymoon massage for both my wife and I. Comparing this resort to Couples Tower Isle just isn't fair, so we tried not to. But, inevitably we couldn't help but draw comparisons all week long. While Couple Negril was wonderful, We both agreed that we enjoyed our time at CTI better. The staff at CTI seemed more approachable and warm, though the staff at Negril was terrific too. Also, I would have to point out that the beach along the front of Couples Negril is along a public beach, sooooo, if you are headed out to the beach for a little 'privacy' at the nude side, you are still mostly in full view of the passing public. Unfortunately, there always tends to be gawkers and peddlers. That was not the case at CTI, as the Private Island beach pretty much fixes that. :) Once again, the food lived up to expectations, and the room was exceptional. I will say that we enjoyed the Spa at Couples Negril a little more. I would love to tell you that we left the resort, but for a whole week, we stayed put and enjoyed the sunshine. I also took part in the Fitness center most every morning. I found it to be very clean and user friendly.
One thing that I will say, our Honeymoon/Wedding photos that we had done at Couple Negril in house staff photographer came out unbelievably well. Anybody that has had Wedding photography done knows how expensive that it can be. We found the quality to exceed the price. He really did an outstanding job. The wait staff at restaurants were fantastic and those young people work their butts off. Our coffee and drinks were never empty, and dirty dishes never lasted long. They were terrific.
I said in my last review of CTI that I figured that I set the mark a little high, and I was right. Comparing the 2, they are both fantastic, but CTI seems tough to beat. I thoroughly enjoyed our time there, and would go back. However, I think the pull to go back to CTI with no worries for a whole week is a bit stronger. Overall a fantastic resort and a good value for the money. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Our room facing the beach had a spectacular view of the sunset.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Seventhinning2000
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My wife and I went to Couples Negril for our honeymoon and could not have had a better time. Everything is taken care of for you from the transportation from the airport to all of your meals and entertainment. The food was great and the service was outstanding. I cannot expand enough how great the service was from everyone on the property. There are countless activities to participate in and entertainment nightly. The beach was amazing and if you were getting to hot in the sun there are plenty of trees that provide good shade on the beach. What sets Couples Negril apart from the other Couples Swept Away is the quaint setting that Couples Negril has. It isn't as big as couples Swept Away but not so small that you are tripping over the same people all the time. And what makes Couples Negril and Swept Away apart from the other properties according to the employees is that Negril (where Couples Swept Away and Couples Negril are located) have the best beaches in all of Jamaica. Honestly Couples Negril was fantastic and any Couples property would be great.

Room Tip: We stayed in a honeymoon suite and were right on the first floor right on the beach. All we did was...
6 Thank Zachary R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!