“Losing it”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We've been to all of the Couples resorts. CN has been our favorite and we've been there 6 or 8 times (lost count). This time was maybe enough to show us it's time to find another resort. I remember reading reviews before we went to CN the first time (2007?). Some said it was mostly an older crowd, quiet and relaxing, etc. Over the years it has gradually changed and is IMHO almost unbearable. I complained about the beach vendors in my last review but now they're so much worse. The same guy selling cigarettes must walk by every 15 minutes hawking his stuff. There's several groups of singers (and a few singles) that seem to always be there singing a song, or they just yell "Hello!" or something like that to see if they can get someone interested in hearing them sing. There's also the guy with the megaphone making a LOT of noise but you couldn't understand a word he said. I understand it's a public beach and there's very little CN can do to stop it, but I want peace on my vacation and this is definitely not peaceful. I want to hear the waves lapping at the shore -- not a chance! There's a much younger crowd, so more of a party atmosphere. There are so many people on the beach sometimes you felt as if you were lying elbow-to-elbow.
The room was still nice, clean, comfy bed, etc. But they've instituted some new policies since we were last there. One of the more annoying ones is that they don't automatically refill your mini-bar every day. You have to call them, tell them what you want, and then stay in your room until they deliver so you can sign for it. What's up with that? I want to be out on the beach, not sitting in my room waiting for some diet coke.
We've told ourselves for the last couple of years that next time we're going someplace besides Jamaica but we always miss the place and return to CN. I'm thinking we'll actually go someplace else next time. We'll see...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Zoeycat
There are newer reviews for Couples Negril

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Traveled to CN from Oct. 23 thru Oct. 29, Was there during Sandy. I must say the entire staff was great. Although there was no real damage to the resort, alot of debris washed up on the beach. The staff was out early cleaning and getting everything back to normal.
We had a garden view room (bldg 4) which had a partial ocean view. The room was clean, good hot water and airconditioning worked great. had a few minor issues upon checkin that were prompting taken care of.
Due to the rough sea the water sports area was closed everyday.
The food was adequate, not what I would call great. We did a private dinner in the garden gazebo. It was awesome. I would recommend it if it's in your budget ($170) Now, that food was much better than than the other.
Couples advertises premium liquor, but the only place that serves it is the piano bar which opens at 8PM nightly. Since I rarely have drinks straight, this was not an issue. The frozen drinks with bar brand were fine.
This was our fifth trip to CN, I would say it is a good value for the money.

Now my real negative:
We attempted to leave the resort short of our scheduled departure date due to Sandy making landfall in the US directly where we live. I called the airline to change our flights and was told that because we booked our air through Couples they could not change our flights. I thought NO PROBLEM MON, I headed to the front desk to have Couples authorize my airline changes. I was told that the Couples reservation desk must do this, except that the reservation desk is closed from Friday 5PM thru Monday 8AM. The front desk staff attempted to contact someone who could authorize my changes from 9AM to 4PM on Saturday. NO success. I finally called the airline again, talked to a supvisor who symphized with me and allowed my changes. I was the last flight to land prior to the airport closing. I could not believe Couples has NO one available during the weekends to deal with emergencies.
I would caution anyone from booking both hotel and air through Couples. I know I will never do it again.

9  Thank ellen49
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Our first visit to a Couples resort was for a one-week stay this September in Negril. We had stayed at a Sandals resort in Jamaica several years ago and I must say, we prefer the Couples experience. The staff is genuinely friendly, all the time. We truly felt welcome in Jamaica, and that feeling is important to us as travelers. I had read that the food at this resort (and the Couples resorts in general) was better than most upscale all-inclusives, and we definitely found this to be true. Our room was very comfortable and clean (we had a garden view----perfectly fine) and we were in a quiet section. The property is well maintained, and the service at all the bars and restaurants was consistently good---again, very friendly, but also efficient. I also like the fact that Couples doesn't market "butler service" and all these tiered levels of rooms that make it such a hassle to figure out what to book. At Couples, everyone basically is treated the same, and there are only a few differentiations among room choices. After all, it's a vacation, not a contest. We are planning a second Couples week to Sans Souci in February, and we look forward to enjoying another truly carefree all-inclusive vacation.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are lovely, cost less, and are perfectly comfortable. We stayed near the tennis co...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank swilliams330
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We have been to Couples Negril three times in last 8 years and are going again in December 12. We particularly look forward to the genuine all inclusive nature of the Couples product - international drinks, fine dining, scuba diving, etc, etc, etc. You want for nothing and when you leave you immediately want to plan your next visit. I understand that the staff may get slightly more pay than other resorts or they just like working there as we find many of the staff are still there over the years. Don't miss out on the red flag if you want the ultimate lazy drink!

Room Tip: If you like scuba request a room in block 5, it's right next to the dive hut.
1  Thank David S
Reviewed 25 October 2012

This was our third trip to a Couples Resort having previously stayed at Couples Swept Away and Couples Tower Isle. The staff was excellent and so friendly just like our previous experiences. Everyone goes out of their way to make sure you are having a good time. The food was excellent and we really enjoyed all of the restaurants. The beach is beautiful, very clean, and the floats provided are also nice. The rooms are ok, nothing fancy. If you are looking for granite and high end finishes this is not the resort for you. The resort is decorated with a laid back Caribbean feel, which is what we enjoy. We were in building 8. We had an ocean view room and there was only "partial" views of the ocean which is what we expected. I was disappointed to realize that there were no outlets in the bathroom. I had to curl and straighten my hair by using the mirror by the bed. They did have adapters to purchase, but it wasn't a huge deal to me; however, I do think that with the amount of money you spend they could provide the rooms without outlets with an adapter. Again, not a huge deal. Housekeeping service was excellent and very consistent. The spa was also wonderful and my husband and I enjoyed a couples massage. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. Make sure to take advantage of the Catamaran cruise. It is a lot of fun!! We also had a private dinner on the beach and I thought it was worth the extra money; very beautiful and romantic. The beach party was a lot of fun and make sure not to miss the steel drums. AMAZING! We LOVE Couples Resorts and we are already planning our trip back for next year. Now if we can just decide which resort...that will be the hard part!! =)

Room Tip: I would definitely go for a beachfront suite next time we stay. We were in building 8 and the road n...
3  Thank gmarti00
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We returned home last night from Couples Negril and had wonderful time - met newly weds, other anniversary couples and just couples on a vacation. There were many repeat visitors - one couple had as many as 15 times with whom we talked.
CN is a small footprint resort with 4 restaurants with bars and 2 stand alone bars. The pool isn't really large but it nor the swim up bar area. Neither were too crowed to talk or lounge. We had a GardenView Room on 3rd floor. It could use some modernizing but to be honest the only time we were in it was to sleep, nap or change clothes. The resort is similar, they were replacing a roof while there. Everything is clean and neat and staff friendly and helpful.
Food, I only had one problem one night, I had snapper during dinner and it tasted fishy. I had snapper the previous afternoon and we had it Monday night and it was great. One dish out of 21 meals with multi courses isn't too bad. We ate at all 4 restaurants and did one dinner buffet. I have a tough time deciding which was the best though each had its signature dish we liked. The Lychee, Asian, was probably the Sushi, Heliconia was the sirloin steak, the Otaheite (fine dining) lamb chops and the dinner buffet probably the fried snapper. We missed the lobster on Friday night since we scheduled the Otat and thought they may have lobster as a course but didn't. The Grill had great lunch and the Cassava Terrace had Breakfast buffet, lunch buffet, dinner buffet some nights and dinner others. They had Italian Red and White wine which was drinkable and Kreuthammer Sparkling which isn't too bad.
The type of liquor they had varied - Piano Bar had some higher end than others but overall, there wasn't too much wanting. Only warning - they have a drink called Bob Marley - like drinking Spearmint Listerine through a straw - has a kick but Listerine isn't my favorited.
Clientel - small crowd (230 max rooms) - everyone was there to relax and enjoy. Bar opens 10:30 am. Note: They post menus in morning so if you do not have reservatons you can see what is available. There are some items the same but the menus vary from night to night.
The staff had games but not the type there is allot of extreme competition. There were also demostrations - basket and hat making, cooking, massage etc. Enough to do if you wanted to do tennis, volley ball, etc.
Beach and Pool - all the chairs had floatees ( floating mats) therefore there was never the need to try to hoard them. The pool if you wanted a special spot .you put a towel down by 8:30 to 9:00 am you would have no problem. There were really no bad chairs. Beach was more wide open. Both Beach and Pool had walk around bar service but just as easy to get it your self. Note: we walked from Beaches Lido to Riu Club on Bloody Beach and it looked like Couple had the large amount of floatees. We saw none on any of the beaches except Couples. Nude Beach is Nude and Couples only. It is good policy - no voyeurs, no singles either both or none. We did not partake but those who did said they enjoyed it whether first time or many times. Note I heard from one Sand Fleas are nasty at night on Beach.
Activities - Safety is big at Couples whether snorkling, scuba, sailing etc. Snorkling was good. I was refreshed with Scuba. Stephen the Dive Master did a great job. I tried diving and unfortunately scrubbed both dives. The first one just didn't work and the second I couldn't equalize but Stephen was great about it. Catamaran wide was fun. We went to the caves and swam in them - Note you need Life Jacket, it is just too difficult to swim back and forth without at least holding on to one - current is too swift
Entertainment - 9 - 1100pm was entertainment - they had a Jamaican Dance,Limbo Dancer, a Fire breather and Contorsionist, Jeremy Jackson - Regae and Jen Myers, Cabreret Singer. which we saw. Shows were only an hour but after being in sun from 900 to 400 drinking all day, most couples whether 55+ or 23 years old went to bed about 1000pm Piano Bar had dances, karaoke, sing alongs etc after but we went to bed.
One unfortunate incident, a couple from Indiana had $200 stolen from their safe. The safe had not been properly locked. The night maid mentioned the door was open, the couple called management. Management interegated the couple almost as they were the criminal. Asking how much was in the wallets, what bills etc. The couple was not pleased with managements response but also understood anyone can say they had money stolen. They said they were wiser and would be back to CN. We had IPAD, Camera, IPOD, Kindle laying both on the pool deck and in our room and had money in a locked safe and had no problem.
The staff cannot take tips even paper, pencils etc without a note from the guest saying they could have it. If they don't have that note, they cannot get through the gate. We gave out candy bars, pencils, paper, crayons to the room staff.

This was our 6th All Inclusive, 4th to Jamaica and 2nd to Negril, we went to DR and Cancun.
We will be back. The Hurricane Hit today and we left yesterday - so say some prayers for the good people of Jamaica.

Like others say, I want to go back home in future - Couples Negril has message board also which you can keep up with what is going on there and future trips.

Room Tip: We like the quiet and only slept in room so Garden View was great others like the Ocean View and Bea...
2  Thank Jo_and_Tom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

My wife and I just returned from a week’s stay at Couples Negril , (October 7-13). We have travelled all over the world and are considered experienced travelers. Our overall experience at Couples was excellent.

We were greeted by the Couples representatives at the airport. We were taken to a nice waiting area with restrooms and free beer. The trip from Montego Bay airport was about an hour and forty minutes. (There is also an air taxi service that takes about 20 minutes to get from Montego Bay to Negril, not sure of the price)

We were greeted at the hotel with a cold towel and a glass of champagne. We waited in the reception area for our room to be ready and headed off to begin our vacation. One of the first things you will want to do is eat, after the long ride from the airport. (You can have lunch while waiting for your room to be ready).

The beach is magnificent; clearly one of the best in the world. The resort itself is not huge, but is made up of several building set close together. Nothing was a very far walk, very easy to get around….. Whether it was the beach, the pool, or the restaurants, the resort never seemed crowded.

We spoke to many guests that visit Couples regularly and all were satisfied. Several said they had visited other Couples properties and Negril was their favorite. There was a “repeat guest” private dinner early in the week. Jamaica is clearly an international destination. We met many Americans but also Russians, Canadians, French, Scottish, English and Dutch.

Rooms:
Our room as located in Bldg. 2, with a garden view overlooking the spa and pond. The room had a generous king-size bed. The bed was firm, but very comfortable, with many pillows. Each room had a refrigerator and daily refill service with your choice of alcoholic beverages and sodas, fruit juices, etc. Ice was also refilled each day. Turndown service was also provided. Each room has a private balcony and an in-room safe. Good daily maid service. Towels were plentiful.

Restaurants & Bars:

Cassava Terrace (breakfast/lunch/dinner)
This was the main dining area, large and open with a full bar. Breakfast was served buffet style with typical American-style foods, including made to order omelet’s, waffles, bacon, eggs, pastries, and a large section of Jamaican food. There was always an abundance of fresh fruit and juices – fantastic! My wife’s favorite was the fresh coconuts – freshly cut open, served with a straw, offered very morning.

For lunch, the Terrace served a large buffet and again, fresh Jamaican items. Buffet was slightly different each day and offered many choices.
For dinner, the Terrace serves a nice buffet (different from lunch) or an a-la-carte dinner, depending on the night. Food was very good with many choices. The a-la-carte items were excellent as well. Service again was great.

Beach Grill (lunch) was located right next to the pool. Food was simple fare including hamburgers, hotdogs, small salad bar, ice cream, etc., and of course, the specialty, Jerk Chicken! Very good and quick. You can pick up your food and eat at the pool.

The Beach Grill transforms into Helconia (dinner) - the grill (above) transforms nightly into a very nice Italian restaurant. with good food. Typical Italian food with a gourmet fare served in several courses – appetizers, soup, salad, entrée and dessert (and of course, wine). Good food and excellent service.

Ochaheite – European style upscale restaurant. Food was fantastic. Five course gourmet meal – appetizers, soup, salad, entrée and dessert. This is the only on-site restaurant that requires a reservation, but well worth it. It does fill up on busy nights. I can’t imagine having better service, plenty of staff to make sure your dinner was perfect.

Lychee – Upscale Asian cuisine. Served in multiple courses, food was excellent, as well as the service. Open nightly. No reservations needed.

Dining is also available in your room for breakfast and dinner (ordered ahead of time)

There are also several, “themed” parties for your enjoyment during the week such as Manager’s cocktail party, martini reception, etc., complete with food and drinks.

Red-flag drink service was available at the beach and pool. Sometimes, this seemed a bit slow, but the bars were very close by if you were impatient. There are several bars located throughout the property and it seemed there was always one close by. The bar staff was also excellent, and could mix virtually anything. My favorite of the bartenders was Franklyn – a good kid that provided outstanding service.

The house wines and champagne were quite acceptable, but if you are a true wine connoisseur, they have an excellent wine list available for an additional charge.
Resort activities:

The resort had many on-site activities for no charge such as: snorkeling, volleyball, beach aerobics, kayaking, windsurfing, sailing, introduction to SCUBA, and other activities like Tarot Card readings, Bingo, basket weaving, karaoke, dancing, woodcarving, etc.
Beach & pool:

The pool area was popular but never crowded, with a swim-up bar. It was never a problem find available chairs. Each chair had a large float that could be used in the pool or on the beach. The beach was kept immaculately clean. Vendors were on the beach only a couple of days during the week and they were not aggressive at all. A nude beach area is available and is located on one end of the property. There were hammocks scattered around the property by the beach (great at sunset!) The beach at night was romantic and rather secluded. Great place for walks. We felt very safe with security always present on the beach.

Other amenities:

There is a business center with a number of PCs and a printer for checking e-mails, getting flight confirmations and boarding passes, etc. There also is a small game room with a pool table, big-screen TV, small library, and even a few slot machines.

Couples gift shop was small, but adequate, with a good selection of souvenirs and local items and not terribly high prices. Next to the gift shop is another small shop offering beachwear and “couples” branded clothing. There is a photo shop where you can purchase pictures taken by the Couples photographer (specific picture requests are taken – just ask the photographer you will see around the resort.

Side Trips/Excursions:

We booked one excursion from Jamaica Tours. This all-day trip consisted of a boat trip down the Black River, a visit to YS Falls and the famous Appleton rum distillery. Our guide for the day was Nicola – a young well-educated Jamaican lady that provided us a great overview of all segments of Jamaican culture. Boat tour was good and very informative, but also very hot. After a fresh Jamaican lunch, we arrived at YS falls. The falls are located inside a large working horse ranch. There are guides to help you into the falls and will take pictures for you. You can swim in the falls area and also in a large shallow pool that is spring-fed and very refreshing. There is also another traditional pool on-site. A gift shop, restrooms, and changing rooms are available. The last stop was the Appleton Estate Rum Distillery. After a welcoming rum punch, we were given a tour of the rum-making process. At the end of the tour, we were provided an opportunity to taste about 10 different rums made at Appleton. All rums are available for purchase at good prices. After a full-day, we arrived back at the resort about 6 pm.

Our only complaint was a group of about 6 couples of “Ugly American” tourists that were loud and obnoxious at the pool and bars. I personally don’t think Couples is a place for groups of any kind. I think everyone was happy when they left mid-week!

Staff/Service

Can only be described as “outstanding” Every staff member speaks to you (many remember your name).They really try to make everything perfect and everyone is smiling. Every request is answered with a polite “No problem”.

Club MoBay at the departure area of the airport provides a VIP experience with quicker baggage check-in and immigration service. The Club offers sandwiches, snacks, soft-drinks, a full bar, WiFi, showers and quiet rooms - well worth the $30 per person cost.

Again, we had a wonderful trip and were very impressed with Couples Negril. I can’t imagine anyone expecting a better vacation experience than Couples. We are definitely planning a return trip.

Room Tip: Lower floors may have more noise, but was not enough to be distracting
11  Thank Bill38360