“Another week in paradise!”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Brentwood, Tennessee
“Another week in paradise!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I recently returned from our third visit to Couples Negril. As always, we had a fantastic time! Special thanks to our travel agent, Mitch Toren at Trip Guy, who made sure everything went perfectly! He's the greatest. He even managed to arrange a special dinner for us at Otaheite complete with the staff singing Happy Birthday to us and presenting us with a delicious birthday cake! Thanks again, Mitch!

PROS- This resort has the most beautiful beach we've ever found in the Caribbean. The staff keeps it groomed to perfection. The water is crystal clear and absolutely gorgeous. One of the reasons we keep coming back is the calm waters of Bloody Bay. The floats provided by the resort make for many hours floating in that gorgeous, calm water!
- The decor at the resort is just what we're looking for - it's not fancy but it's the perfect beach resort. Everything is laid back and relaxing. The housekeeping staff is wonderful.
- The size of the resort is ideal. Everything is close by and can be reached within a 5 minute walk.
- The staff is amazing. They always greet you with a smile and make you feel that you truly are "family". Special thanks to Elkie, Ivylyn, Camille, Tanya, Stacey, and the great crew on the glass-bottom boat! What a fun time!
- The food at all venues is excellent. My husband and I usually aren't big fans of buffets but we really enjoyed them this year.
- We have used Club Mobay for two years now and highly recommend it. We also took the TimAir flight from Montego Bay to Negril. Thanks to both we were in the lobby at Couples with a glass of champagne just a little over an hour after our flight landed in Montego Bay!

CONS - We had to leave! Can't wait til next year - we're counting the days already!

1 Thank Susan C
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Susan C,
Happy belated birthday. So great to know that you had a great vacation with us and that the staff made it memorable for you. Hope you will visit with us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,037)
  • Polish first
Craig, Colorado
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Not a bad resort but for the $ expected better service. Checked in late in the evening what a shock to travel a full day to get there and had to carry mine and my wife's luggage up 3 flights of stairs. That being said the food was great. We never had a bad meal. Try the Asian theme restaurant you will not be disappointed, Service I would have to say was lacking when you are not in a themed restaurant. Remember to bring some bug spray for walks on the beach after dark due to the sand fleas, they seem to be bad this year. The pool was great lot's of folks hanging out and having fun. Resort is small but large enough for some private time. The resort is under a remodel and we stayed in a room that has not been remolded but how much time do you spend in the room when the weather is 82 degrees? Was able to relax and enjoy the sun. This is not a resort where the service was great but the location is great and can be quite and relaxing. .

Room Tip: Building 3 has some road noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Abraham I, Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Couples Negril. We always appreciate constructive comments that enable us to improve our resort.

Let me start by apologizing on behalf of the resort in regards to our bell desk failing to transport your luggage for you. This is definitely not our standard and action will be taken. In addition to this, the service issues you encountered will be addressed immediately. Please recognize that both of these occurrences are extremely rare for any Couples resort.

As it pertains to our food, thank you, we work extremely hard to ensure the absolute best quality and refinement. This is one major area where we separate ourselves from other all-inclusives.

We are glad you enjoyed most of your vacation and hope to see you again in the future. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Warm Regards,
Abraham Issa
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We had a great vacation! Although for what we paid we thought it would be more luxury resort. We could have stayed at the sandals resort for the same price but our travel agent pushed couple resorts instead. I wished we would have tried sandals!!! The pools were nice & big. The rooms were fine nothing special. Average hotel room. The ride from the airport was very very long. The food was very good at the resort and activities were good. Overall probably will not be back but had a good time while we were there!!

Room Tip: We had a great vacation! Although for what we paid we thought it would be more luxury resort. We cou...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lori c
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I want to start by saying that I have traveled to mexico, cuba and DR. This was my first time in Jamaica and I was pretty nervous of going to Jamaica mainly because I had herd how jamaicans can be aggressive in their approach to sell you stuff. Well I can all set your mind at ease and tell you to go without the same fear because the jamaicans are super nice and polite. All you have to say is no if you don't want what they have to offer and they will be moving on with a smile. Now to get to my review of this resort. I could not find many fault with this place except that I will not go again in early november because of rainy season. It rained every day that I was there except 2 days, and I was there for 2 weeks. Having said that I would go back to this resort in a heart beat. The food was fantastic, especially the fine cuisin restaurant. The slip pea tomatoe soupe is to die for at this restaurant and the filet is fanstastic. All the restaurants at this resort are good, you cannot pick any bad ones, and ofcourse you also have the option for a buffet dinner 4 times a week.

What make this resort stand appart is the location and the services it provides. The resort is on Bloodie bay and the water is the warmest and most clear I have ever seen, and the beach is breathtaking. The beach lounges are plentyfull ( no need to play the towel game ) and they are equipped with a floatie so that you can float in the pool or ocean. This was a fantastic feature!! The red flag service on the beach is also great and fast. If you need a drink and don't want to get up from your chair. all you have to do is to stick the flag in the sand and someone from the staff will show up to take your order! Also the mini bar is stocked daily, all you have to do is dial 0 and talk with the mini fridge people and tell them want you want. The selection ranges from botles of pop to botles of champagne, wine, whisky, vodka etc at no extra charge! The staff at this hotel are friendly and seem to go the extra mile to make sure you are having a great vacation. Also included in this resort is snorkling ( twice a day, and night time snorkling is a must ), booze cruise ( trip on a cataraman to the the cliffs of west Negril) scuba diving, YES scuba diving is included for free and also water skiing. This is by far the best all inclusive I have been too hands down.

The resort itself seems dated but to not let this factor in on you not going. The place is super clean and the room are all well placed so that you never have to walk to far for anything! What else do you want in a vacation?! Go and relax and have the time of your life!

2 Thank Marco P
Dear Marco P,

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the dishes offered and the resort in general and hope we will host you again soon.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We had a wonderful time on our trip 6/25-7/3

Pros:

- the beach & water - absolutely amazing. Plenty of spots in both shade/sun. I wish I could live on that beach!
- the entertainment staff - we played volleyball every day - they are great and the nightly entertainment was great as well!
- Service all-around - very pleasant and helpful
- great drinks/drink service
- calm, relaxed atmosphere, but activities if you want to participate

Cons (none of these would be enough to stop us from coming back!)

- the food became a bit repetitive (we were there 8 days) because there were really only two choices that changed each night. The Asian restaurant had the same menu every night, and the RSVP (Otaheite, sp?) one changed once a week. We very much enjoyed our dinners at Heliconia/Cassava though. The breakfast buffet became repetitive as well, but we didn't eat much for breakfast. There were two lunch choices that were repetitive and not always the best food, imo. I think having a few more lunch options at Heliconia would help.
- the rooms are very average, and in our room specifically, there was a gap in the outside door so it wasn't very soundproof. Serviceable is a good word for them - in need of updating, but again, nothing that would stop us from returning.

Overall, I gave it a 4/5 mostly because of the food/rooms - we went to San Souci for our honeymoon, and they had three changing dinner options each night - technically Negril has 4, but my husband and I agreed that the variety and quality of food was a bit better at San Souci. However, the beach at CN is so phenomenal, we're already trying to decide when we can go back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KLS0611
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear KS,

Always happy to have you with us. Happy to hear that you will be back in spite of a few issues and that your overall experience was good. Thank you for your concerns regarding the food and we will review same.
Naperville, IL
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We were at Couples 11/9-16/13. The staff was great and made you feel welcome. While things move at a slower pace, that's what we needed to get away from it all. It is not the most modern deluxe resort, but the rooms are clean, the food and drink plentiful, the beach and the water is beautiful. The dive program is outstanding. It rained a few times in the evening, which I hear is to be expected at this time of the year, but the rains happened in the late afternoon and were over in time for you to enjoy the golden sunsets. The mornings are amazing! Get up early, stake out your spot on the beach and enjoy. This is a low-key resort, which is what we were looking for. Other resorts blast loud music and announcements, which Couples thankfully did not.

Room Tip: We had an Ocean View in Block 7 on third floor. If you have no problem with stairs, you will be trea...
1 Thank Poodlepook
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Poodlepock,

A great time is what we want you to have and we are delighted you were able to enjoy your vacation with us and look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed at Couples Negril from Nov 4th - 8th 2013. I will start from the beginning:
Airport/Transfer: The Couples "lounge" at the airport is OK, but nothing to rave about. They serve Red Stripe beer and soda, and they have a restroom to use while you wait for your transfer. We waited about 20 minutes. The ride from the airport is about an hour and 20 minutes. We stopped for drinks once along the way at a local bar. Be prepared, these are not free drinks. The trip was not bad at all, with lots to look at and hear about along the way.
Check-In/Rooms: Once at the resort, check-in went pretty smoothly. Our room was not ready (at 5 pm) so they immediately upgraded us to a deluxe beachfront room in building 6. We ended up switching rooms the next day because we were right next to the main lobby/restaurant and that is also where they have entertainment each night. If you prefer a quieter room, stay further away from the lobby area. Trust me, it is loud! We switched to building 9, which was much quieter.
In my opinion the rooms are fine. Nothing fancy but clean, spacious enough, and the air conditioning worked really well. The bathrooms on the other hand are in desperate need of upgrading. I know they are in the process of doing so, and I hope they do this quickly so they are upgraded when we return! Speaking of returning, it seemed most people we met had been to Couples before. I think that speaks volumes!
Grounds/Resort: The grounds are stunning. They are meticulously maintained with many fish ponds and lush tropical foliage. This is a small, quaint resort - which we loved. You don't have to walk very far to get to the lobby, beach, activities. If you prefer grandiose and flashy hotels then go stay at the Riu or some other place like that.
Beach/Pool: The beach is very nice in Bloody Bay!! The water is warm, clear, and calm. You can look down at your feet and see tons of starfish. We loved the floating mats that were on every chair. They give everyone a red flag for beach/pool drink service and the staff are constantly coming by to make sure you have what you need. We loved walking up and down the large stretch of beach. The locals will approach you, especially when you leave the resort - but in our experience they were friendly enough and not overly pushy. We definitely felt safe. Oh, the pool is nice too, but with a beach this nice why stay at the pool?
Food/Drinks: This is our 4th all-inclusive and I can say that the food and drinks are very good here! I love that they have a drink menu at each bar with tons of choices! (Omar was our favorite bartender - great service and conversation!!) Our favorite place to eat lunch was The Beach Grill. The jerk chicken lunch was delicious - a must try! The dinner services were decent, too. The food was good. I preferred the indoor restaurants for dinner (Otaheite and Lychee). They were well-lit and air conditioned and I also thought the service was a little better.
Activities: The included water sports and activities are one of the main reasons we loved Couples and will most likely return! We did the catamaran cruise to the caves, the glass bottom boat tour (Bubblicious, our guide - was awesome!!), water skiing, scuba, and paddle boarding. You will not be bored here, unless you want to be - which is fine too!
Service: Another reason to love Couples is the staff. I loved how friendly, fun and laid back everyone was. They really want you to relax and have a good time on your vacation.
Tipping: We weren't sure whether to tip or not as they have a no tipping policy. We didn't see many other people tipping. We decided to tip when we got really great service and I hope we didn't get anyone in trouble!
Weather: One downfall of our vacation is that it rained every day! It was beautiful in the mornings, and almost like clockwork, around lunch time the clouds would roll in. It's Jamaica in November, so it's to be expected I guess.
Overall, we had an amazing and and memorable vacation and plan on returning to Couples one day! Maybe try Ocho Rios next! Jamaica is beautiful!

4 Thank Stacy C
Dear Stacy C,

Our staff are our greatest asset and we are delighted you enjoyed them too. Good to know taht despite the "liquid sunshine" you still had a great time and planning to visit Couples Resorts again. Cant wait to host you again soon.