“...DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY!!”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Cambrdgeshire
“...DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY!!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

There are only two measures of a holiday, the first being how you feel the day after you get home. Our feeling today is that it was a really good, rather than a really great holiday. That sounds like we didn’t enjoy ourselves but, I can assure you, we certainly did.
As you do, before we chose Couple Negril I trawled the TA boards for feedback and overall I must say that it is broadly accurate, but the margin between really good and really great is significant.

Let’s break it down:
Setting – the 5km horseshoe shaped Bloody Bay is quite beautiful. The sand is freshly raked every day, the shore gently slopes into the clear water and there are plenty of sunbeds, shady spots and it’s a good running stretch of sand for that morning jog. All that and wifi on the beach, so you can make your social media posts as you place your red flag in the sand to have you drink delivered from the bar! The beach vendors and musical entertainers won’t bother you (unless you want them to) as they ply their trade up and down the beach.

The hotel – At the heart of the main complex is the terrace with one of the nicest swimming pools I’ve ever seen with hot tubs at both ends and a pool bar. The terrace also provides access to the Cassava, Otaheite, Heliconia and Lychee restaurants. We ate at all during our stay and each serve good quality food with very attentive service (sometimes a bit too attentive, but I suppose they can’t win)! My personal opinion is that CN is one restaurant short of offering really great food. Heliconia was the one we enjoyed the most, posing during the day as a beach bar (great jerk chicken) and at night as a bistro. Otaheite was OK, but maybe I’m missing something, having read other posts, in that neither of us found it that special. Cassava offers a good buffet selection at breakfast and lunch, but I’m afraid that after one set evening meal of a pork dish, I was violently ill and on the big white phone all night long. Last, but not least, is the Lychee, which offered a good Asian flavour. After a week we’d eaten everywhere at least once and Cassava and Helconia several times: hence, my personal opinion that CN is one restaurant short of being really great.

The entertainment during the week was good with BB King (not that one) and the Westerners being the highlight. There are also plenty of water sports and trips you can take if sitting on a sunbed gets to be boring and you’ve worked your way through the extensive menu of cocktails.
Room – we stayed in Block Four on the third level, which overlooked the garden. I’d already read the comments about the rooms and they were right, they are tired and dated, especially the bathrooms. The quicker these are refurbished the better. The maid service was excellent so a big thank you to Kishana who was very friendly and helpful and who worked hard to clean up after our mess. The ability to customise your own mini-bar was a nice touch, as was the fresh ice and cold water jugs every day.

The staff were attentive and provide a good service: there were a few who were a bit snooty in their attitude, but I have to say that these were the exception. We did make arrangements on the final day for a late checkout at 1pm only to find when we returned to the room that we were locked out: one of a couple of minor frustrations, including the no-show yoga class on the Sunday morning.

The second and final measure of a holiday is, would I go back? To be honest, CN is lovely and well worth a visit but I’m not sure I would go back. However, plenty of people obviously do and you do meet lots of CN returners, I met one chap who had been 9 times and who walked me through all of the CN changes over the years.

That said, it would not prevent me from recommending Couples Negril to others and letting them make their own decision.

2 Thank DeMaccas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,019)
  • Polish first
East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed Feb 3 to 20th, our 3rd holiday for our anniversary. The hotel still maintains its high standards with food accomodation and facilities. What is a delight is that all the staff from the top to the workers all make you feel so welcome are always friendly, happy to have you stay and enjoy the resort. The managers mingle with the guests and events eg valentines day are always well celebrated. We were not aware of any sickness or hygiene problems over that period as mentioned in a earlier review, in fact we found the food in all the restaurants plentiful and to a high standard. Lots of room on the beach with no need to search for beds, the red flag to indicate that you'd like a drink is always a nice touch. Service is always with a smile. We will be back.

1 Thank Nogtraveller
Valley, Nebraska
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Couples Negril was one of the best trips we've had so far!

The beach view was wonderful and someone was always raking the grounds to keep them clean. The water quality was superb! Clean and beautiful with a surprise appearance by a starfish or a small stingray. The beach vendors walking up and down the beach selling their wares were being patrolled by guards and I always felt safe on our beach. Flag service was nice, but the bar isn't more than 20 steps away, so it all depends on how much of a rush you are in for your next drink. You didn't have to reserve a chair in the am at this resort. There are plenty of chairs and floats for everyone, which was nice!

Staff was VERY friendly and inviting. Herbert the bell man was especially accommodating and helpful when we first arrived. He is the perfect person to greet travelers!

The resort size was PERFECT for us. We've been at some resorts where you have to walk 10 minutes to get to the beach. This was maybe a 1 minute walk, so having to go back to the room for necessities wasn't a problem.

The food was better than most, the selections offered were many. We went to the reservations required restaurant one night and it was well worth the wait. Go on Friday (lobster night!) I liked the daily activities and appetizers on special nights set up by the pool area. Nice to mix it up and not always go to the same location.

The free activities were nice, but it was a bit confusing on which ones were pay and which ones were free when you got to the hut to schedule times. I'm guessing they get commission, so they really didn't care much to push the 'free' activities.

The pool was well kept and clean, along with the HOT hot-tubs (secret hot-tub hidden behind the scuba pool)! But, DO watch that HOT sun - a couple of us burnt on the first day not being used to the strong sun.

Rooms were ok, and what we'd expect for an island resort. Beds were comfortable. The maids spent most their daily thoroughly cleaning and you could smell the cleaner when you got back from the beach. (Which I liked!) Mini-fridge was stocked everyday and much appreciated.

Overall - This was a great week for us, we plan to get back someday. Loved that there were no kids, or even college aged kids. It was so relaxing!

Suggested items to bring: Insulated mugs (keeps the drinks cooler longer), a waterproof watch, koozies for beer. Bug spray for evenings, and a flashlight for walking around at night.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the ocean view room, but really didn't need to. Our friends had a deluxe room wi...
3 Thank Annette M
Waupaca
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

1st time to Jamaica, have been to many other Caribbean islands and if we came back we would definitely stay here again. The gardens around the resort are nothing short of amazing. The grounds are kept very clean as is the beach. We upgrade to a deluxe beach front which is well worth the money. We were in building 6 which is right next to the nightly entertainment so don't expect quiet but we were OK with it. This resort is not run down as others reviewers have stated. We were very pleased with the room, it had a very Caribbean feel. Obviously wear and tear shows but it's fine. The food was great, loved almost everything. The wait staff can be dismissive which was disappointing. The best staff was to be found at the dive shop. The excursions were very entertaining. The equipment was top notch, well cared for. The scuba and snorkeling was outstanding. We felt safe the entire time. Keep in mind this is not Key West, as based on the negative reviews.

The worst part was the trip from the airport to/from the hotel. Being jammed in nothing more than the back seat of a minivan over rough road for 90 minutes and no air, no fun! Please put your guests in better transportation.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim G
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We visited this resort over the UK half term (mid Feb 2014). We booked flight and hotel separately (was using BA points)

We used BA to Kingston and discovered that Couples doesn't provide any transport (Hotel mentioned airport transfers .. but not from Kingston it turned out!) , so we arranged a taxi ($285) which took 5hrs. Hey ho .. should have read their fine print.

The hotel I believe is approx 15yrs old, with 3 storey blocks situated in lovely trees and vegetation. Our room was a good size, with ceiling fan or AC and patio doors onto the ground floor. The bathroom was a little tired, but was clean and functional.

The staff were friendly and attentive often wanting to strike up a conversation. They're a great asset to the hotel.
Breakfast was a buffet with a mix of hot food , fruit, great smoothies, champagne, etc.
Lunch again was a buffet or a grill from the beach restaurant.
Dinner was a la carte from a choice of 4 restaurants.
The food was generally good, however we were disappointed with the dinner main courses and the deserts. The former were always too sweet (I've never had a sweet sauce over Beef filet before .. and never want it again, yuk) , the curries in the Asian restaurant again were sweet gravy rather than an authentic coconut thai I was expecting. The deserts looked nice, but it was superficial - they seemed more appropriate for kids than adults - afraid it's typical of US style cuisine unfortunately.
We made use of the gym, spa (extra £) and watersports. All were excellent and the staff great to deal with.
The clientele were mainly US, Canadian and a few UK.

The hotel is situated directly onto the beach which stretches for 5km. We walked this every day and had no problems. There were traders selling crafts, drugs, parasailing, etc. They could not venture into the private beach so were easy to ignore.
The private beach was fantastic with lots of beds, plenty of shade and WiFi everywhere, yes even on the beach! There were even power outlets.

Night life .. no idea. We were asleep by 10pm, but on the beach by 8am each day .. it's by far the best time of the day. It did rain every day, sometimes for several hours in the afternoon. Climate change is hitting Jamaica too.

4 Thank m0deller
Texas
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Visit 2/15-2/22/14. Starting with the negative, my biggest concern was food safety especially as there were several sick people that week. Hygiene at the grill led me to only eat there one time, service not to good either at lunch time. I found food temps were a problem with the exception of Otaheite. i.e. chicken needs to be above 141f or below 40f, after 24 1/2 years in the food business i have some experience. However in general the menus are Excellent. Beach service was poor, but the bars not to far away. I did not find the reception desk very friendly or interested. Value in our opinion not as good as the same class in Mexico

Would I go again, you bet! great location, great beach, great water both drinking & sea. A small compact hotel set in great grounds, for the most part friendly staff. Food selection very good. Our room was kept clean, and room request granted, our thanks to the housekeeping staff. Activities staff do a great job. Bar staff are efficient even under pressure.

Sans Souci has been our Couples choice in the past, but Negril has certainly won us over, we will return again.

2 Thank britex
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I were married at Couples Negril in Jamaica the week before Christmas. The resort was the exact environment we were hoping to experience. It was relaxing and carefree. It did not have the spring break wild party attitude we were worried most resorts would have which is why we chose an adult only resort. The service was always polite. And the wedding was exactly what we wanted, no stress! I was worried I would be nervous getting married in front of a bunch of strangers (we did not have any family or guest present) so we choose the garden gazebo setting. While there were a few curious people about, it was more secluded than the beach and I thought it set a more intimate atmosphere. We upgraded to the Tropical Wedding package to have a few more floral decorations and photography. Also, I upgraded my wedding bouquet to different orchid selection. We began our wedding at 10:00 am followed by cutting of the cake and then photograph among the resort grounds. I loved our photographer and wedding coordinator. The day before the wedding I was nervous but the day of the wedding coordinator had everything set and it was so routine for her that I didn't worry about a thing! After the wedding we had lunch, a couples massage (included in the tropical wedding package) and later a private candlelight dinner served on the beach (purchased as a gift from friends). Later that week we took advantage of the sunset catamaran cruise and hobby cat sail boats. The whole week was a good mix of romance, fun and relaxation :)

A few tips sunblock costs $27/bottle at the resort so bring some small bottles that will be compliant with security regulations at the airport. Our two bottles were 5 oz and was thrown away. Also, if you intend to buy extra pictures not included in the wedding packages be prepared to pay $20/photo! We chose the onsite photographer and he was great but didn't realized the costs of additional photos. We took $200 in cash and wish we would have brought $400. We went into the city of Negril and ate at a local restaurant. The cab ride was $40 and our meal was only $25. There were little souvenirs and things we bought in town and tipping at the spa is at your discretion. We went through our cash fast.

I wouldn't recommend the laundry service unless you really need something. We were told it would take 24 hrs to have clothes returned and it took 48 hrs. Also, clothes are only washed. Items are not pressed. When I requested items to be pressed I was told to use the iron in our room.

Even with the little things I found annoying like the laundry and costs of purchasing photos, I recommend Couples Negril. Our wedding was a wonderful day and we loved it!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hmziegenhorn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,780 reviews

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!