“First Timer”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just returned from a weeks stay after friends suggestion. They are returning for their fifth trip. After Landing in Montego Bay, you go to the couples lounge where you register and are welcomed with cold red stripe. Within a half hour we were on our way to the resort by van, approximately an hour to hour and a half. Driver never said a word and drove a bit fast, but arrived without problem. Registration was easy and shown to our room in building nine. Had read about the "worn look" of the hotel, but it was fine. Rooms do need refurbishing , but it was very clean. Employees are helpful and friendly. The resort is the perfect size and you have plenty to do or not. Never a problem getting a beach chair as there are plenty with a cushion you can take into the pool or ocean! Beach was clean and pretty. Ate in all of the restaurants with Lychee being our favorite. Never crowded. Plan on taking the catamaran trip and the snorkeling outing. We had a couples massage, expensive and ok. Had room service for breakfast one day and it was efficient. Bottled water in the rooms would be a nice touch. Talked with numerous returnees and folks who said they would definitely come back, as will we. The only negative encountered was the music from the resort next to couples that was loud in building nine. Not Couples fault, but think about where you want to be. I would try for building one next time. Will return.

2  Thank rt113
Write a ReviewReviews (4,398)

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We just returned from our first trip to Jamaica, and to a Couples Resort. This will be the first of many I hope!
Overall it is a great resort! Much smaller than most we've been to (Mexico, Dominican, Costa Rica). But there is a lot to offer here at Couples Negril.
Airport arrival- the Couples lounge is a great touch. After deplaning and standing in very long lines to clear Immigration, they offer you a drink(s) until your ride is ready to take you to your resort. Since they have several others, we only rode with one other couple in a van (they were repeating at Swept Away) .. that was a first. It's over an hours ride to the resort.
Weather- well it was simply georgeous!!!... and it did not feel as hot and stifling as prior trips to the DR. Only 2 afternoons with some rain, but it is the tropics after all.
Beach- simply the best yet!! Soft warm sand that never burned your feet. Huge "bay" to walk or run if you're into that. Very shallow water and not a rock or pebble in sight! Bring your chair floatie and your in for a treat.
Pool- not anywhere near as big as other resorts we've been to. This is the only thing I would rate a 3.5 out of 5 vs all the other things the resort has to offer. We are pool people, not beach people. We still had to get up before 7am to get an umbrella by the pool, or they were all "reserved" with towels.
The umbrellas are a white material, not the larger palapas you get at other resorts. Palapas provide much more shade, but they also need more of them. The pool has a wall/waterfall which completely separates the swim up bar from the larger rectangle part of the pool. I just don't get it.. this is an adult/couples only resort.. so why is the bar not easily accessible?? You have to get out and go around or boost yourself over the wall/waterfall to the other side... It was a pain and I didn't enjoy the swim up bar because of it.
Food/Service- Excellent!! made to order eggs/omelettes etc every morning (ok I did miss fresh mango here??), the jerk chicken at lunch and the beef they serve for the dinner for the a la cartes is the best we've ever had in any foreign/tropical destination. They worked very hard at providing different venues: service out by the pool, one night on the beach etc. Premium alcohols and liquors are available. Had the white wine and it was more than pleasing.
Room- Bldg 1 (1306) had a great view and we could see the ocean even though we booked gardenview. Room is a great size, kept very clean.. My husband would have enjoyed a tub/Jacuzzi we've had at other 5* resorts, only a large shower here. Great in room fridge and you order what you want stocked. However No Bottled Water here! Anywhere.. I understand the "green" emphasis, but in this environment it's a bit of a nuisance to not have good drinking water in your room. You need to remember to take glasses of ice water from the bars to your room if you want drinking water!
Entertainment- Excellent!! not the somewhat "cheesy" shows we've had at other resorts. There was live music Every night for dinner by the "house" band, the Harmonics. They also brought in other music entertainment 4 nights out of 7, all Very Good! We haven't danced in a long time and did so almost every night!! There was even live music a few mornings at breakfast!
Included is a Catamaran trip, just excellent.. you get to see much of the Negril coastline (and Couples Swept away 5 mins away). They stop at a cliff with divers and you get to jump in and swim through some caves in the lovely clear turquoise water.. Lots of drinks on board.
Staff- Just the Best we have ever experienced overall. They not only bring service with a smile, but it is truly genuine..they all brought their own enthusiasm. No tipping?? I still have not wrapped my head around that.. very "frowned upon" and Not expected.. well we did anyway but we were very discreet. The entertainment staff works very hard and there are lots of activities if you want them.
Overall comments- the resort is much smaller than we have experienced before. However we did not miss anything here. There is as much or more offered here than most other 5* resorts we have been to. While there are always some things you could/would change, None of them would stop us from going back Or from experiencing another Couples resort. Can't wait til next time!

Room Tip: Room- Bldg 1 (1306) had a great view and we could see the ocean even though we booked gardenview. R...
8  Thank LoriBD
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We just returned from Couples Negril last night. It was our 2nd time there in the last 3 years..It was absolutely everything we remember from the first trip...and even more!!!! The staff is absolutely amazing....The food is out of this world...the rooms are clean, well kept, and just the right size!!
The activities are endless through the day...you can stay as busy as you want, or sit and do nothing on the best beach in the world!!! The floats and Red Flags on the beach are the greatest!!! The bartenders, servers, wait staff, etc cannot be beat.... They know your name and what you drink by the second day!
My wife and I have been to many resorts in 19 years....nothing beats this one for a beach resort vacation....yes there are many places in the world we want to go, but for a romantic couples only resort with top notch accomodations, food, drinks, service....you will never beat this one!!!!
We will go back again, and again, and again...that is not even a question. While you are there, it is hard to find someone who is not a repeat visitor. I met a couple this week who were visiting for the 36th time since the resort opened!!! What's that tell you!!!
Don't hesitate....just book....don't look anywhere else for this type of vacation.
Best beach ever!!! Best everything!!!!
J. Martin --- Indiana ----

Room Tip: Building 1,2,6,7 are great choices.
2  Thank Jeremy M
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My husband and myself went to CN over New Years along w 2 other couples. 4 of us had been before back in 2010.
Check in is always easy at this resort...welcoming and quick. 2 of our rooms were ready, 1 was not. So we all just had our luggage delivered to one room and headed to the beach while we waited for the 3rd room to be ready.
We stayed in a Garden Suite room, lovely updates....walk in shower, fresh coats of paint etc...everything looked tweaked, and clean. Minor details, like lamp shades that need replacing, and the usual, never enough hangers in the closet. (My girlfriend brought extra w her, and I am definitely going to start doing that on our next trip.)
I love the boutique style of CN, and I also appreciate that this isn't a huge resort, one of the many reasons we decided to return.
We were there over New Years and the celebrations were over the top beautiful. New Years Eve was nothing short of spectacular, quite a feet of organization and celebration put on incredibly well by all the staff. Everyone had such a great time, staff and management made it a memorable night for all their guests.
The food was the wonderful once again. I am a vegetarian and never found it difficult to enjoy well prepared tasty food. Most staff members are truly awesome and helpful, and like anywhere else, there's your usual grump or two on board too.
I treated myself to a facial at the spa, and it was a truly top notch and relaxing experience. The price was well worth it. The estitician's name was Karen and she was wonderful, such a sweet and talented woman. Truly money well spent. Thank you Karen!
We were invited by management to a dinner for those guests who were returning. We didn't go, but only because we didn't want to leave our friends, (who had never been before), out in the cold so to speak. I meant to let management know of our decline to the invite and why, but I didn't get around to it....my apologies, it was a lovely gesture on their part.
Overall, we found CN pretty much exactly the same as when we left it 4 years ago....tranquil, peaceful, and warm.
If you are trying to decide where to go, you probably won't be disappointed w CN. The beach is spectacular, food and drinks plentiful, service is for the most part excellent, super inclusive activities (catamaran, snorkelling, etc...) are easy to book and well organized. Bar service to your room is prompt and efficient. No one ever expects a tip at the resort, and there is never any pressure by staff to receive one either.
This time around, and this is no reflection on the resort, I just didn't like the vibe of the guests as much as I did the last time. It seemed to me like there were too many guests at the resort who didn't know how to handle themselves with manners and social skills. This is purely a personal notation, and not a reflection on CN, the resort is still truly warm and welcoming, however to me, some people treated this level of 'welcome home' vacation a little too literal.
All this being said...the big question...would we go back?...yes, we would, 3rd time lucky, right?!

Room Tip: Garden suites are located very centrally to the main areas of the resort, and to the beach. Most of...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PipCheedwell
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon in September. This place is so nice!! I loved having the flag service on the beach. The drinks were good and if you wanted them a little stronger they always were willing to do that. The food was good. I loved the breakfast in the AM. Lots of fresh fruits, smoothies, fresh coconuts with straws that would help you with your hangovers ;), chocolate croissants were amazing!!! I had pancakes every morning freshly made and loved them! I gained like 5 pounds on this vacation!

I highly suggest walking down the beach to the right to The Office of Nature. We had fresh lobster there that was grilled right in front of us. SOOOO GOOOD!!!!!!! Talked with the locals and had a couple of red stripes. Yummy!

We went to Rick's Cafe....had a great time there. We also went to YS Falls. We enjoyed that as well. It was a long day so by the time we got home from that excursion we were exhausted!

The room service was great. I loved the animals that they did for our beds.

It would be great if they had a few more flavored vodkas and beers. The pool bar was my favorite bar. In the afternoons it was like a party down there doing shots and drinking. Super Fun!

I def. would go back. We are hoping to make it back in 2015!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kari K
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My husband and I visited this resort to celebrate our 15 year wedding anniversary. The resort was not to big yet not to small. The service was excellent, great food and nice clean accomodations. I would highly recommend to my family and friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BloomsdaleMO
Reviewed 7 March 2014

After reading some reviews on here before we went we did wonder if we would see a change from our last visit in 2013. We certainly did. It was even better. In my opinion the service in every bar and restaurant was quicker and staff were even happier. The only negative we encountered was a bit of a brawl one day at the pool bar. Sorry to say two US travellers had a disagreement and wanted everyone to know about it .... but let's blame it on the alcohol. It happens the world over. Yet again we have booked our return trip for 2015. Long live the Couples brand, wonderful staff and the amazing people who stay there. We never leave without making many new friends. Bring on Feb 2015 :)

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank MrsBFrank
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#7 of 80 in Negril
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!