“10 days at CN, compare Halcyon & Riu” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #9 of 84 Hotels in Negril
VA
“10 days at CN, compare Halcyon & Riu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Four of us (ages 58-67) stayed from Jan. 20-Jan. 30 at Couples Negril, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. From some posts I was afraid we'd be the oldest guests, but there was a good mix with the average age probably 40-45. Our past favorite has been Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia, but I think CN is our new one. Halcyon has prettier grounds, but the activities and the entertainment at CN are far better, and the food is as good, if not better, at CN. Staff at both are very good. Even though we could visit the other, somewhat classier, Sandals resorts in St. Lucia while staying at Halcyon, it's a bit of a hassle taking the shuttles which don't run late at night. Having everything right there at CN, where casual is always okay, was a definite advantage!

We stayed in building 1 which was relatively quiet and convenient to the gym, the beach and the water sports. My sister & her husband got the 2nd flr suite, which they really liked and would book again. The renovated rooms at Halcyon were better, but our CN room with the remodeled bath was fine, with a comfortable bed (we like firm). My non-swimmer husband and I did the glass bottom boat ride with watersports duo, ? &? who was humorous & informative, and some of us snorkeled a couple of times, also good. I like that we can go by boat right from the resort; at Halcyon we had to take a van to the dock in Castries to snorkel. I also tried windsurfing after a lesson, but I wasn't very successful. The watersports staff is friendly and helpful; they even arranged for a 75ish frequent guest to go waterskiing at SweptAway when the CN boat was out of commission. (I hope CN never contracts out to the other main operator in Negril.) We also did some yoga classes and gen. fitness classes--all good. We walked (~2mi. roundtrip) the beach at least once every morning for a good 40-min. mild, aerobic workout, and swam 2-3X/day in the ocean--we're not pool people. I kept active enough that I didn't gain any weight despite all the delicious food & drink; my husband, though, did add a few pounds.

About 7 yrs ago we stayed at Riu (then Tropical Bay, now Palace?) just to the north of CN. There is no comparison--CN has MUCH better food and a better beach & staff. In fact, CN has the best beach on Bloody Bay--cleaner and less noisy than other properties. Unlike others who commented, we had NO problem at all finding shady spots on the beach, and we never had to put our towels out to reserve chairs.

The entertainment was pretty good although at night the volume was usually too high for us; I just stuck chunks of kleenex in my ears if I didn't have my earplugs with me. (I have to wear earplugs to my BodyJam & Zumba classes so I'm used to it.) We especially enjoyed the local musicians they sometimes had at breakfast or lunch. We usually went to bed by 10:30 or 11:00 and didn't stay up for all of the late-night activities, so I can't really comment on those. And the noise from those activities was a bit bothersome only one night, the night of the beach party.

Because we had been to Negril twice before (1999 Beaches with kids & Riu 2007) and had done Margaritaville (so-so) and Rick's Cafe twice (good to do at least once), this time we just stayed at the resort and relaxed. We'll likely be back and hope to then stay for 2 weeks.

(I hope I can edit this to add the staff names I hope my husband remembers. We enjoyed chatting with Kadeen on the beach. Somehow Kiev remembered EVERYONE's name--his is easy these days, haha.)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank yogahelps2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (998)
  • Polish first
Butler, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

It was the third time at the same resort, we have met other couples there, so we decided to get together again this year. It was so much fun talking about things that we experienced years past.
They also have a beautiful "repeating couples" dinner for all of us to attend.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Michele S
Granite Falls, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This was our first trip to Jamaica and we definitely choose the right place. The grounds are beautiful. Very comfortable rooms. Everyone there treated you like family! They knew your name and what you wanted. The entertainment staff was awesome. If you wanted to participate, great! If you wanted time to yourself, that was just fine too. The food was fantastic from breakfast to dinner to everything in between. The beach and water is definitely the most beautiful We have ever seen.

Room Tip: As it is a smaller resort, but yet not too small, everything is a very short distance from each othe...
1 Thank SWMNMomofboys
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Well, we just completed trip number six to Couples Negril from March 11-18. As usual there were great couples, staff who are like our extended family. We stayed in our favorite place, building five and enjoyed the quiet. This year they seem to have had an abundance of mosquito's. They were spraying at around 5:00 pm which made it a little uncomfortable being outside. Whatever they were using, had an awful smell. I think it helped for a while, but we still got bit. Mixed age group this time, from 20's to young 70's. The repeaters dinner, (which we did not attend) has grown in size tremendously. When we started going there, maybe there were five or six tables. This year, probably 25-30 tables. We hope that they continue to upgrade the resort as it still has older units. Tips are not required, but you can see the difference that a couple of dollars make for the attention that you receive.
We really want to start looking around for the same atmosphere somewhere else, but as another couple mentioned, it is difficult to match for the money. We are looking anyway. I assure you that this is a wonderful resort, probably a 4 star at best, but it is time to move on for now. The food is always fresh, but I felt that there were less choices this time and I missed that. We were spoiled by another chef who left and I believe went to Sandals. He was fabulous and we miss him. We had alternate days of Buffet and sit down meals as usual. Breakfast was always my favorite. There is nothing missing on that buffet. The Heliconia lunch grille is about as slow as I have ever seen it. Either the staff can't keep up with the lunch crowd or they are just not prepared.
All in all, it's a wonderful resort to relax, drink, watch a band perform, or meet new friends. I hope to return someday, but for now, it's time to try a new place. If you choose to go, and want a relaxing atmosphere plus the above mentioned, then this place is for you.

Room Tip: Building 5 behind the sports area
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jerryconstable
Halifax Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Couples Negril delivered an excellent vacation experience.
We loved it.
The white sand beach was very clean, the water was so warm. The beach chair cushions doubled as floats.we spent 4+ hours every day at the beach, easily finding shade when things got too warm.
The food was excellent, and for a resort this size had lots of variety. Over our stay, we ate at each restaurant 2 times.
The service at the resort was what many other reviewers described as super friendly and attentive. Chatting the staff and experiencing their Jamaican charm made the experience very special.
We kept busy, trying to do at least one or to activities per day.
Highly recommend a to Rick's Cafe although 3 hours is too long, 1.5 would be plenty.
We were struck with how many people were returning guests, many 3+ timers. That is saying something about the whole experience.

Room Tip: Building 5 is ideal. We were in 5305. Great view, close to everything but not too close to where it...
1 Thank MacDonald's
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just got back from an 8-day trip to Couples Negril and we loved every second of it. The service and staff is out of this world. The chef came to our table every night to make sure I knew exactly what I could eat, as I have Celiacs Disease. At times they made special gluten-free meals just for me. The grounds are beyond clean and beautiful. The beach is in a bay so it's calm, quiet, and warm. The wifi is perfect no matter where you are on the resort. I highly recommend the free scuba diving and catamaran cruise. You can be as active or as lazy as you want while you're there. I really can't say enough great things about Couples Negril. We will definitely be back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrea B
Broomall, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Couples Negril is a very relaxing, and lovely resort. It is a little more "low key" than some other resorts. The entertainment staff is friendly and enthusiastic, yet not overpowering like at some resorts. The nightly entertainment is terrific! The 4 restaurants are very good. The pool area is great and the beach is simply amazing! When we were there, lounge chairs were plentiful. The staff is friendly and helpful. We'd go back!

4 Thank Joanie035
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,710 reviews

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!