“Wonderful 25th Anniversary Trip”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Walkersville, Maryland
“Wonderful 25th Anniversary Trip”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed here for a week in October 2007...Delicious food, fun games, entertainment...even though we were in a tropical depression....and it rained 17" during our stay. The hotel staff did their best to keep us occupied! The breakfast buffets were wonderful with their homemade pancake syrups...a different one every day...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TStup61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
  • Polish first
Telford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We got married at a large resort in Montego Bay and once family went home, we were fortunate to spend a week at this lovely resort. Yes, it is not all sparkly new and elegant but I fell in love with this place. There is not one thing I can think of that I didn't like. The rooms were kept nice and clean and our maid created lovely towel designs for us everyday (yes, it is the little things that matter most!) I loved the walks along the paths with the beautiful landscaping and the sounds of nature in the evening. The staff was always accommodating and helpful!! We really enjoyed the choice of restaurants and the fact that we didn't have to make reservations to eat someplace other than the buffet. The food was really good and I cant write without mentioning the wonderful pastries that I ate way too many of. We were always able to find a place in the shade on the beach no matter what time we got there - places by the pool were a little harder to come by. Loved the evening entertainment, the Thursday night beach party and the variety of vendors that the hotel management allows to come on the property to sell their goods every day. The resort offers snorkeling, a sunset catamaran cruise and a glass bottom boat ride to their guests all at no charge. Looked forward to the local guy who walked the beach everyday and entertained us with his guitar playing and singing. I cannot wait to return to this wonderful gem - have many good memories and I cannot wait to return and create more!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 4 which was a little walk from the activity - but it was quiet and the view fr...
6 Thank worktotravel1161
Howden, Yorkshire
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just completed our fourth trip to the resort and it is as good as ever
The ride from the airport was good with just the two of us in the bus, met with a cold towel and a glass of champagne and a quick check in
We were in room 1109 which is one of the ones with the new bathroom, certainly better than the old ones and we never had a problem with the bathroom flooding as some have reported.
The food and service in the restaurants was all very good, the local steaks were brilliant, the shrimp good and plentiful. The Lychee restaurant was very good on the two occasions we ate there and the Oteheite never fails to please.
The beach was still cleaned daily and was immaculate, now the jet skis have been banned its now a lot quieter.
The staff really make this hotel hey are fabulous, always have a smile on their face and always ready to help. The bar staff recognise you after one visit and normally know what you are going to ask for even if its different day or night time.
The hotel price may look to be a little more than some but I truly believe that it is really worth it, and if you want top shelf drinks just ask for them, Glenlivet, Tanqueray etc are all available.
I would also recommend the MO Bay club at the Montego Bay airport well worth the $30

4 Thank DaveOssy
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Couples Negril is Amazing!
My wife and I have a rule to always choose a new destination for a new adventure. However, I think we will break that rule and go back to Couples Negril. Most of the people we met there where repeaters several times over.
Started with Red Strip beers at the airport. Transportation to and from was about 90 min but a scenic ride and drivers were always pleasant. You will pass many churches, bars, and strip bars…sometimes all clustered together. Funny
We stayed at CN April 15 through April 20. I would add at least another day next time. Stayed in building 1 garden. A little street noise but nature at night will drown that out. We might try a beach front next time just to improve on location. Room overall was great.
Food was very good and always something that will work for you. Drinks are fun and very good. I like their selection. Anything with rum was a hit.
Had a couples massage in the treehouse which was fun but a guy walking up the beach with a bullhorn advertising some party kinda killed the whole effect. I would do it again but on the beach for a different spot and hope there are no bullhorns.
The beach was incredible. Enjoyed every second in the sun on that beautiful beach. The seat cushion floaties are pure genius. The red flag drink service was a great idea as well.
The pool was great and fun to pull up a stool and drink at the pool bar.
The catamaran cruise was a blast. Really people….loosen up! We were having a great time with another couple being silly and dancing with the deck hands and entertainment…the rum runners may have helped. The others really didn’t show signs of life until half way back. Delay in the rum effect I guess. They take you to the caves and you jump in and swim around. Don’t pass this up!
Trip to Rick’s Café is a must. Sunset is incredible.
Last but not least, nude beach was fun. Be adventurous and live a little. You can sit in the front row and smile at the passers by or a few rows back. Everyone in the nude area are respectful. I saw no gawkers. People will walk by and look but nothing rude. We spent some time there toasting our behinds;-) Even walked out to the water and went for a nude swim. Awesome feeling swimming au natural.
The first night after dinner we walked to the nude beach, stripped down, and enjoyed a hot tub under the stars.
All in all, we have been all over the Caribbean and this was the best trip ever. Already looking forward to returning next March.
Brian and Laura

Room Tip: Stay away from the road. You can hear traffic.
8 Thank BrianLauraAdventures
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My wife and I took a delayed honeymoon (we are teachers and couldn't go right after the wedding) and we were very excited to take our first Caribbean all-inclusive vacation. When we arrived at Montego Bay, we immediately were greeted by the friendly staff and Brad, the bartender, gave us as much Red Stripe as we wanted. The shuttle ride was decent and we felt very welcomed when we arrived at the resort. The room was neat and spacious for our needs, though the up-charge for "ocean view" is not worth the money.

FOOD- The food was very good and the 4 different restaurants gave us some great variety to choose from. The asian grill was our favorite, though the "fancy" restaurant was also very classy and well-managed. We had most of our lunches at the grill (snapper sandwich was the best I have ever had) and the buffet was decent as well.

ACTIVITIES: The water sports staff and the activities staff were both VERY helpful and friendly. Snorkeling was great! The reef was well-respected and we got to see a sunken cannon and anchor. We played volleyball (beach or pool) almost every day and it was a ton of fun. I would have like a bit more variety with the music every night.

Overall, we had a GREAT time and we are definitely considering returning to a Couples resort when we come back to the Caribbean.

5 Thank Joey F
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went March 20 through March 29 and I did not want to leave. We have taken many trips but none as beautiful as there. Couples Negril is awesome. The staff is great and the hotel is great. We are already booking our trip for next year to go there. I can't wait.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Sandy H
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Couples resort Negril!

Travelled with my partner April 8-15, 2014 ages 38/41

We travel from Victoria BC to Jamaica - We used a travel agent to assist us in the booking rather than booking online – I sometimes wonder if people’s bad experience comes from booking themselves not knowing what they are getting. Our trip went seamlessly! I could write so much more than I have below, but you have to go and see for yourself.

Couples was amazing. I am truly glad we went to an adult/couples resort. This resort in particular was just shy of 300 rooms and at 89% capacity (we asked!) you still felt like you had the resort to yourself. I had read reviews on trip advisor before going and was worried the age group of the place was going to be 60+ and the place was not going to be ‘nice’.... I did take all of what I read with a grain of salt understanding I was going to an underdeveloped country. I had been to under developed countries before so I knew what to expect.... The resort welcomed you right from the airport! Upon arrival at the resort we were greeted with cool clothes and Champaign. The resort for the most part was completely open and airy. The hotel attendant guided us to our room we left our luggage behind which soon followed. We arrived at night and there was an amazing melody of tree frog singing – I personal loved this!
The buildings are 3 level high by maybe 5-7 across. We had a second level room, I would ask for a top level – we heard the person above us stomping (I think this is my only complaint and it truly isn’t even a complaint!) There is no elevator, which I saw, so you do walk the flights of stairs for those less able to climb take the first floor.

We woke the next day to the amazing Caribbean! It was perfect, if felt like a resort erupted in a tropical garden! I love that there was so much beauty surrounding the place, tropical plants, trees, palms, ocean, humidity, birds, butterflies, fresh fruit trees, sun, turquoise waters, pure white sandy beaches. What was to not love? I would remind people that they are not going to enjoy the room – rooms were great! maybe not the food- food was good! but to try to take in some of this country and this country was lovely.

As for tipping, we found we could tip! With tipping we also found we were remembered quickly. We did not feel hustled ever, more appreciated! You shake their hand with the money in your hand. We did ask if we could tip and were told YES!

The weather was rainy, sunny, thunder showers... the rain cooled the hot Caribbean days it was actually nice to feel the rain.

If your nights are clear you will watch that beautiful sun set into the ocean – it is spectacular.... not to be missed

Yes there are hustlers that walk the beach – but that too I am sure you will find/see the pan handlers or beggers in your own home towns.

There were parties on the beach some evening which were fun! Disco and dancing in the sand what could be more fun?

There are professional photographers at the resort that will take your pictures! Start this the first day get lots of pictures – you have to pay if you want to take pictures home we did although pricy I was so happy with the pictures and results!

Restaurants: (we are huge foodies! We love good food, we eat from fresh and make home cooked meals at home)

The food at the Cassava Terrace was a buffet for all meals and had an assortment of foods changing daily. At night this is where the entertainment was held and on Friday night my favorite night there had a steel drum band – it was fantastic! I had been dying to see steel drums! We ate here for all breakfast, lunch and one dinner and were always happy. At the Cassava Terrace they post the daily activities watch for what is going on, there’s a lot!

Heliconia we ate there one night it was like an Italian restaurant... This is where I am sure a lot of people on trip advisor complained about getting bitten by bugs! The seating area is up above the sand on a deck and yes there are mosquito’s there among other insects that bite! It won’t kill you. There are a lot of ants there period they are attracted to the sweetness of drinks, vinegars.... again nothing that will kill you and likely you too have them in your own home at times.

Lychee ate there a couple of times, in dining there you have to remember this is not authentic Asian cuisine it is their version of it.

Otaheite ate there twice, it is the only reservation required restaurant – each place had fantastic service, in fact the entire resort did....but I have to say this place went above and beyond! My partner could not decided between steak and lamb, they suggested bringing him a serving of each, another night he was torn between the duck and lamb again they brought a serving of each.

We did not eat the typical American foods at the Grill!

Tours:

Tours were included we did: Catamaran, Glass bottom boat, partner water skied, trip to the town, trip to Margaretaville. We paid for the trip to Mayfield falls. Catamaran was great, you are taken to caves to swim in and watch locals jump off the cliffs! Glass bottom boat I particularly liked, I enjoyed seeing all the sea life! Water skiing, it was about a 15 minutes outing, but he loved it! The trip into town.... I found that I am not interested in the touristy stuff and wasn’t overall thrilled with Jamaican keepsakes, I did however; purchase something in the town the One Love bracelet that will be my reminder of the trip! Margaretaville, it is off the resort I wouldn’t suggest it, but everyone has to come to their own decision – you have to buy your drinks and dinner! Mayfield falls – This was Fantastic!! We had a fabulous driver that stopped to shows us different things from fruit trees, to purchasing sugar cane – He was a Fabulous tour guide for the approximately 1.5 hour drive to the falls, very informative and educational . At the falls the tour guides were so respectful of everyone belongs. There were lockers to lock up your stuff, you need to only be in a swim suit, they made sure we were all gathered to see him lock it and take the key.... some wanted to bring their bags and camera’s but once at the falls they realized it was a mistake and their stuff was going to get soaked. The tour guides happily carried peoples stuff in plastic bags and even took out each of our phones or camera’s individually to capture pictures! They were honestly so caring for our stuff and you felt completely safe.

My overall thoughts! I enjoyed the resort, I enjoyed that it wasn’t overcrowded, and there were no children, no bachelor parties, no stags.... no rambunctious teenagers. There were couples younger than us and older than us. We happily chatted with the serving staff as well as other resort goers, it was not hard to make friends and in the week or two you are there, and since the resort is smaller you easily recognize friendly faces. Most times you will have the pool to yourself! Restaurants are never overcrowded. I really went there to relax and that is exactly what I got. I would go back to this exact spot!

8 Thank N B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!