4,606 results
All reviewscassava terracethe red flag servicecatamaran cruisepiano barotaheite restaurantheliconia grilllychee restaurantcouple negrilour honeymoonnude beachother resortsthe fine dining restaurantwater sportsswim up barbloody baylobster nightrepeaters dinner
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Was here June 2014 and couples negril needs upgrading. Rooms are run down with wear everywhere, bed was like sleeping on boards. Wife didn't like the food they offered where I was ok with that part. Their liquor was VERY low grade, you could drink all day with no effect. Beach was nice and pool was nice. Staff was not as friendly as they say, we even seen one walked off for being rude. We kept losing electricity almost every nite. And far as shopping nearby forget it. Would not go here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gary L
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Gary L,

Thank you for choosing Couples Negril. Sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. A full room renovation is in progress. All of your other comments are being reviewed by management.

Regards,
Abraham Issa

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We booked our vacation through Apple Vacations and spent the week at Couples, Negril from May 3rd through May 10th. It was our first trip to Jamaica and it was paradise. We have traveled to DR 4 times and didn't think we ever could find another place we enjoyed as much as DR. Now our hearts are in Jamaica for many reasons. We really enjoyed the staff which include: Mr. No Problem (Andone), Kerry-Ann, Melisa, Kenton (which is a fantastic artist), Theodore (our personal photographer and we loved our chats) Our spa ladies--Cher, Dorene and Lacian--amazing, make sure you have spa treatments, Bubblicious, Aaron (who raked the sand daily) and so many more...they truely made our trip! We met many couples over the week and really connected with Ricci and Marilyn (from Scotland, which we hope one day to visit their country), Dave and Kelly from Kansas City (which we have not connected since we are home and hope one day to re-connect) and Dave and Lori from NY....We hope to return to Couples in 2016..counting the days! Thank you Couples for having clean rooms, awesome food (miss the jerk chicken daily), perfect beach, delightful staff (made all couples feel like family), delightful drinks and amazing new friendships.
The beach is beautiful and no having to be there by 7:00 am to reserve chairs, which we greatly appreciated. Entertainment was good (esp. the SilverBirds..don't miss their show).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PaEyetech
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just came back after a fantastic week here. This was my 1st time here, 2nd time at a Couples resort. (We stayed in Sans Souci in December 2012). So my thoughts, pros and cons, comparisons to Sans Souci:

Pros:
First and foremost the staff----they are warm, welcoming, friendly and take a genuine interest in your visit. The food is really good. I was there for a full week and didn't get sick of it like I have in other all inclusives. The drinks are strong and they have name brands too, not just bar brands. I had some of the best and strongest Tanqueray and tonics at the pool bar. The beach is really nice, sandy, clean; the water was warm and blue. They offer a lot of water sports for free. Usually the motorized sports are extra at these resorts, but here they're included. We did the snorkeling trip (it was OK, not that much to see though we did spot a moray eel and a stingray) and the sunset catamaran to the caves which was a lot of fun. A fellow guest was marvelling that he'd gone scuba diving 8 times already, all included. They do a fantastic job of having different activities each day. One night the entire buffet was brought to the beach and it was a beautiful way to dine with a live raggae band. Another night they had a singer and a bonfire on the beach. We watched the whole thing from a hammock and it was a wonderful experience. Sunset champagne on the beach was very nice too and a wonderful way to end the day. Everyone was out there taking pictures of themselves and each other with a champagne flute in hand.

Cons:
Not many but a few worth mentioning. I really miss the water bottles. The resort is earth friendly and I understand the conservation, but I like having a water bottle in the room at night just in case I wake up thirsty. I ended up buying an insulated cup and always had that filled from the water from all the fountains throughout the property. The water fountain in the gym doesn't work and they have a nasty neon yellow sports drink in the dispenser. The nude beach is way too exposed. The main beach is public so you do have locals selling their wares or offering to sing for you, but they were never aggressive or nasty if you said no.

Comparison between Negril and Sans Souci:
SS is more unique of a property and is tucked away. There are a lot of little hideways throughout the resort and their beach isn't accessible by anyone else. Negril is on a nicer beach, but it's open to people walking by from other resorts or anyone looking to sell you something. The nude beach at SS was really out of the way and much more of a fun scene. There was virtually no one at Negril's, possibly because of total lack of privacy. The adjacent resort's guard was standing there the whole time along with cigarette vendors and the parasailing guy walking by. SS's room terraces were more private due to the hillside setting and all the foliage. If you wanted to have breakfast in your nightgown on the terrace in Negril, everyone could see you.

Overall, I really liked Negril and would recommend it to anyone. But I loved Sans Souci and would go back there again.

Room Tip: It's a small resort so you're never far from the beach. Our rooms were in the 4 block, closer to the water sports and tennis courts. There was also a small never used pool and hot tub right by our room.
8  Thank BacchusBoo
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just got back. Nice property. Visually appealing, like a tropical paradise. Lots of greenery. Easily the best part of this resort is the beach. Among the nicest beaches I've been to. Room is nice, AC strong & reliable, staff is nice, and price is reasonable...some smaller things need attention that I won't mention here because I might be nitpicking.

BUT...I've stayed at Iberostar in Montego Bay the previous 3 consecutive years, and Couples just doesn't compare.

The biggest gripe I had, easily, was that there is NO bottled water on this resort. Anywhere. Don't even think about it. Not in your room minibar, or the restaurant, or any of the bars...anywhere. I drink a LOT of water, workout a bit, and this was a real issue for me. Did I mention, of course it's hot down there? There are 2 water dispensers by one of the bars, but beyond that, no. The lounge at the airport, curiously, has water, but not the actual resort. The first time I asked for water and told me there was none, I thought they were joking.

Iberostar is just more luxurious...and has bottled water. The beach is tolerable, but not on the level of the beaches in Negril. That still won't lure me back.

I also went to Jamaica to see my annual Sumfest.
Unfortunately, Negril is about 1.25 hours from the Sumfest venue...though admittedly I knew that. Also, probably most excursions are far from Negril, closer to MoBay or Ocho Rios.

We had a really good time, but if I could go back in time, I'd go back to Iberostar (Suites or Grand- having stayed at both Suites is the better value. Unless you can't tolerate kids- then go for Grand. Other than that they're identical).

The only draw to this place is the beach. If you like to have water readily available in your room and insist on Negril, simply choose another resort along the same beach. There are many.

8  Thank Ackright

Dear Ackright,

Thank you for staying at Couples Negril. We were happy to learn you enjoyed our beach and thought the resort was nice. As you mentioned, we offer a very different experience to a hotel like the Ibero Star. This is intentional.

Couples Resorts is in the process of switching to a fully “green” water system where plastic waste will be reduced. However, we are still empathetic towards those who prefer bottled water. Water stations will be installed on all floors eventually which will improve accessibility.

Thank you for your feedback and our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience during your stay.

Regards,
Abraham Issa

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is the only all-inclusive resort we've ever been to so we have nothing to compare it to, but we loooove this resort. The staff is amazing (polite, attentive, happy, and they mix delicious drinks), the grounds are gorgeous, the extra-curricular activities are easy to take advantage of (tennis, kayaking, snorkling, paddle boarding, sunset cruise, etc.), and the entertainment is incredible. Live music at breakfast, the INCREDIBLE voice of Shyam Moses at the Monday night bonfire, piano bar sing-a-longs...it's all wonderful. Our first year we stayed in the building just behind the main stage/dining area--too loud. This time we requested a quieter room and were put in building 5...SUPER QUIET, although a bit of a hike to the pool, etc. The guests are also great. My husband is 30 (on the young side for this resort) and I am 43 (right in the mix). There are always a few party folks who are (in my opinion) a little loud, a little "overgrown frat boy," or "too-old-to-be-acting-like-a-girl-on-spring-break," but most everyone is pretty chill. I only have a few "complaints" (and these are minor). The bathrooms could be updated a bit (exhaust fans would be great to cut down on steamed up mirrors, shampoo AND conditioner--versus "conditioning shampoo"), and the air-conditioner...which worked great...was a little loud AND is mounted on the wall in such a way that the digital display lights up the room at night...esp if you're sleeping on that side of the bed. We taped something over it, but it's just a weird place for something like that (versus closer to the floor). Do not miss the sunset cruise--we didn't go last year but were so glad we did it this time...swimming in the caves was fun and it was just a beautiful ride. We will be back again and again!

Room Tip: Avoid building 4...traffic noise. The building behind the Cassava Terrace is fine if you don't mind music until 10 p.m.--if you want something quieter request a building on the other side (building 3 or 5) or one closer to the beach.
3  Thank AllisonEB2013