“Amazing first time at Couples Negril”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Westchester County, New York
“Amazing first time at Couples Negril”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We spent 9 nights beginning 7/20 at Couples Negril. In every way it exceeded my expectations for an all inclusive resort and for a vacation of any sort. Lychee restaurant and Oteheite were as good as you would find at a god restaurant in New York, a very good restaurant in NYC. That was very surprising to us. The inclusions, the catamaran to the caves (3X), the snorkeling (3X) the piano bar sing along with Paul (5X) was all terrific. Tho only extra $ was for a night snorkeling trip with a captain and a mate and just 4 guests. At $75.00 for two it was a highlight of our trip. It is what you make it and I used most of what the resort had to offer and it rocked!!!

Everything was first class. We are in our 60's but the twenty somethings to the 60 somethings all seemed happy as could be. The staff was amazing. Several staff members knew us by first name and addressed us that way. Others called my wife milady!! Lovely and charming.

Highest recommendation.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank TripMember081820155

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,027)
  • Polish first
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2014

First Impressions:
From the time we stepped off the plane in Montego Bay, I felt like Couples was taking care of everything. The Couples airport lounge was appropriate and gave us a sense of what was to come. I enjoyed having a couple of drinks before the drive to Negril. The bus drivers were always entertaining.

Once we arrived we were greeted with champagne and "no problem mon"'s all around. Our room's view was better than expected. The room was well apportioned and clean. Air conditioner worked great!

Activities:
Because of the timing of our trip, my wife who is not PADI certified was unable to scuba dive. We will plan accordingly next time to make sure she gets to experience scuba . . . which is included, no extra cost. Sugar, the dive master, worked with me to get my Advanced Open Water certification. He is great to work with and makes you very relaxed. He and the rest of the staff at the watersports shop were great!
My wife and I were able to snorkel and I think she enjoyed it so much she was disappointed she wasn't able to dive (again, a timing issue on our part).
Probably the most fun we had on the trip was the Sunset Catamaran Cruise. A big thanks and "RESPECT MON" to Ryan Sewell a pastry chef who works at Couples Negril's sister property, Tower Isle. Even though he was on vacation himself, he was professional in a "let's have fun" kind of way. Will definitely consider staying at Tower Isle next time thanks to him!

Overall
Food was always good. Never had to wait long for a drink. Room minibar service was cool I though. Scuba diving was always great. Catamaran cruise is a must do. Stay here, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jeremy B
cjewel01
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just spent 8 wonderful days at Couples Negril, and can't wait to return. We had incredibly high expectations for this resort, due to several referrals, and we were absolutely blown away. The beach is beautiful and immaculate, the pool clean and inviting, and the staff are WONDERFUL. The many activities (water skiing, snorkel, scuba, and a sunset catamaran to name a few) provide options for the more active, or you can simply lounge in the pool, beach, or ocean while the quick and courteous staff service your every need. We've been to several places in the Caribbean, and I can't remember clearer or calmer water...just breathtaking.

We tried every meal at every restaurant, and were very pleased with virtually everything...a definite upgrade from what we've had at even the best resorts in Mexico. Jerk chicken and patti (beef or chicken) are a must to try at least once.

My one (small) complaint is that the dress code of most exclusive of the 4 restaurants was not properly communicated prior to our arrival. Neither the website nor the book in our room mention that pants are required for men. Not a problem, but should be made clear prior to arrival. I was able to borrow a pair from the front desk, but I am relatively small (5'10" 170 lbs) and was barely able to fit into their largest pair...so pack at least one pair of pants!

This is a small, almost boutique resort. It is very compact, with only one pool and 2 small hot tubs. If you are looking for a mega resort, look elsewhere. If you're looking for an intimate, beautiful, well maintained property with an incredible staff, you will have a hard time finding a better option anywhere.

Room Tip: The entire resort is being remolded and is scheduled to be finished by end of 2014. I would request...
4 Thank cjewel01
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I recently returned from 8 wonderful days at Couples Negril. This was our 3rd visit in the past 4 years. We love every aspect of the resort experience. We love the beach and there is none more beautiful then Couples Negril. The pool, which is the place to chat with other couples, is always clean and inviting.

The accommodations are always kept clean, the bed is comfortable and the air conditioning kept us cool.

We love the food wherever we ate. This is fresh food which is prepared every day. Their variety will please the most picky eater.

The staff is accommodating and then some. We love our Jenese from Casava Terrace.

The nightly entertainment was great as always. Excellent bands and singers. The silver birds are not to be missed.

In conclusion, I promise you that Couples Negril will never disappoint you.

Room Tip: Every room we have been in was fine for us. Read Trip Advisor for more info...
6 Thank Jay1648
Nunavut, Canada

Hi Again Fellow Travellers;

Jamaica. 4th time there now. Not as many as some of you other dedicated travellers, but I'm catching up. This year, just 6 months after leaving Sandals, Negril in 2014, (yes I have a review up for that) my wife and I stayed at Couples, Negril. Boy, we were not disappointed! We stayed from July 4th till the 18th of July. A whole two weeks.

The Airport/Club Mobay:

If you haven't done so yet, please book Club Mobay. At roughly, $60 per person, this service is a must! What this service offers is basically like having your own personal chauffeur in the airport. They meet you with a sign, identifying you and your party. They whisk you away while making small talk taking you promptly through the security lines and immigration. No waiting! Otherwise, at times it's like an hour to get through it all. Once inside the airport, instead of muling around and being hassled somewhat by the airport vendors inside or out, you wait inside an air conditioned area where television is, a bar, food bar, sushi, sandwiches, and other snacks. They also will check your carry on for you or coats as you roam the airport if you so wish while waiting to be escorted to your bus or taxi or what have you. I also would recommend Club Mobay on the way out as well. Well worth the money. Don't wait to close to your arrival or departure or you'll lose out on spots left.

The Bus Ride:

Straight forward here, an hour and a half to the resort. Have some tipping money handy here as the driver will be happy you tip him. Not mandatory, but you will be expected to fork over something at least a US dollar or more. The buses are air conditioned.

The Arrival:

Couples Resort is a grand place to behold. I've seen bigger, but by grand I mean impressive. Suppose I could have just rolled with that initially, but hey, this review has to sound golden! The lobby is big, very clean. And if you don't go in the lobby right away but instead go back out front to the Koi fish pond, this is a nice sight if you are into that sort of thing. I have a Koi fish tattoo, so it was nice for me anyway! Once in the lobby, you will be greeted with cold hand towels and drinks! To get you registered, this is about a 15 minute process. Depending on how many guests have arrived and the foot traffic at the front desk. Your luggage will be taken to your room for you. Don't carry anything, the butlers in the lobby do this for you.

The Rooms:

Ours was in the 6100's. Precisely room 6103 in building 6 facing the beach and building 9. Building 9 leads right out to the nude beach side. Yup, there's a nude side. And it isn't very hidden at all. It's right out in the open. It was somewhat amusing to see parents from other resorts in the area walk freely right up on naked people without noticing the sign warning you about this lol. They truly need a bigger sign lol. Our room was very clean, spacious and bright. We love the towel designs daily done by the house keepers who are top notch ladies! They work so bloody hard, we did our best to keep our room as tidy as possible to limit the amount of hard work they had to do in ours. There are those little brown ants in the bathroom, but harmless I suppose. We did see one cockroach one night and did manage to kill it with a can of bug spray ironically left in the room and one lizard which we never did catch. I needed to save on my car insurance anyway.

The beds weren't too shabby, the pillows soft and everything on the bed was really clean.

The Beach:

Amazing! Oh boy, the workers there are constantly raking, cleaning the beach for your safety and enjoyment. So please, do them and yourself and fellow guests a favour, do your part while there to help keep it like that. The sand is consistent all the way from the top of the beach where you first walk on it al the way out to the water and beyond! I had found Sandals, Negril has mushy sand under your feet once in the water and that was gross feeling. This was blissful. Watch for the crabs at night though Saw some pretty big ones. You don't want to step on one of those big guys!

No problem securing a chair or two with a table in the morning. I thought I had to go out at like 7am to do this. Not so, you could walk out at 8 or 8:30am and still get a decent spot. Or your regular spot if you wished without anyway grabbing it before you. I did breakfast, in room service every morning with fresh home made banana bread and Jamaican Blue coffee...mmmmm. So delicious.

The Food/Drinks:

Fantastic! Not one complaint about this at all. Lot's of places to visit to eat, and our favourite was Otaheite. You'll need to dress up nice for this one and make reservations. Of course there is a place to get beef patties, and many bars. My favourite was the bar in the Pavilion. Look for a gentleman named Lindon, this man can whip up a drink with class and taste! Many drinks to choose from. The bars will have the full drink menu. And some drinks are not listed, so be sure to ask your bartender what else they make that is not listed on the menu!

The Staff:

Super friendly and always making sure you are enjoying yourself. We found Okeno, to be amazing. He is like a resort entertainment promotor. He sat with us on many occasions for lunch and we just breezed about life in general. What a nice young man and a great addition to Couples. We did find one or two ladies, one from the pavilion and one from the beach side to be a little ignorant with us when it came to service. Nothing to scoff over though. As they might have just been having a bad day. Overall, they were the best!

Entertainment:

Was great, bonfire night on the beach, chocolate fondues, movie night on the beach, the Pavilion entertainment was all a blast! No bad comments from us here on this.

Excursions:

We did most of the excursions in our first time to Jamaica, so we tend to not do them much at all.
However, I did the paddle boat, parasailing, day and night snorkelling and scuba diving. Boy oh boy it was all a blast as well. I am now a certified PADI open water scuba diver! It was about $365 but make sure you ask to be trained by Karl Steward, otherwise known around the beach as Suga. This man has 21 years diving experience and his training style was by far superior to the other young man I watched training another couple one day.

I hope I have covered just about everything for you guys here. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Building 6, ground floor. We had room 6103. Fantastic room for view of the beach still. You might se...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank will b
Portsmouth
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Had read lots of reviews regarding this resort so was expecting big things! We arrived after a long flight to a long transfer 1.5 hrs! On arrival we were greeted with cold sparkling wine and a cold towel which is standard to most hotels but nevertheless very welcome.

We were shown to our room which to be honest was nothing special ...delux garden room, what the delux part was I'm not sure. After a long trip we showered only to find that the plug was blocked and flooded our room....not a good start! ( they did sort it first thing in the morning). They are renovating at present but we obviously had a room that was on the to do list!

The food was very good throughout the resort and lots of choice. The grounds were immaculate and beautiful. The beach is fantastic...white sand and the sea is crystal clear....amazing!

We found the service hit and miss although I am aware that lots of people who visit this resort are majorly impressed by the staff. They were very polite on the whole maybe it's the laid back Jamaican way but service was inconsistent.

There are some nice touches such as the catamaran cruise and the glass bottom boat....they are a must do! Also do the photo shoot its fun and the pics are of good quality if not a little expensive.

On the whole it is a nice resort and we were lucky that it was only at 50% occupancy which meant no queues. We did note groups of people who were not 'couples'. Thinking that the ethos of the resort is for 'couples' ....romance, love etc this at times lead to rather loud moments both day and night which was not conducive to a romantic atmosphere.

Go and make your own mind up....we did have a good time and loved the beach....totally amazing!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Portsmouthple
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Me and my husband just returned back on Tuesday from our 5 night stay and boy do I wish I would have booked longer! The ride from Montego Bay was about 1.5 hours on shuttle that is provided by couples so it was not bad. When we arrived the checkin went very smoothly it only took maybe 10min for us to get our room. We were greeted with towel and chapagne! The resort is beautiful, very tropical and authenic atmosphere which is great! It not glitz and glamour so it gives you a true jamaican feel! The resort was very clean and weel kept! We stayed in rm 1109 which was an awesome location but was very noisy at times! The rooms were nice with flat screen tv and the bathrooms were ok just had a stand up shower but the drainage kept getting plugged and would not drain well! It wasnt too much of an issue so didnt worry much about it. I know some of the rooms have been updated but not sure if this one was or not! Housekeeping was great! We loved coming back to the room greeted with animals made from towels on the bed! The food was great! Especially the reservation resturant. Very fancy and outstanding food !
We enjoyed the breakfast buffet every morning! We did not get a chance to try the Asian Resturant, we were planning to our last night but it was closed due to a repeat couples dinner!
Water activites are a big plus! No limit to kayaks, paddle boards, sailing , snorkeling and etc..
The water is so clear , calm and beautiful that you can kayak far out!
I could go on and on in regards to this place! Highly recommend to anymone. Beware of the natural area of sunbathing though!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!