“Couples Negril - once again, Paradise found!”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Where do I begin? This was our 10th stay at Couples Negril and before we arrived I thought that it might be our last awhile, not due to our circumstances changing but due to changes at the resort and with the company. When we were last there our visit was less then stellar, for a Couples property.

This trip however, exceeded my expectations. My kudos to Wayne Williams, general manager, David, the new Ops Manager (I am sorry I do not remember his name) all the way to Oshane with Ground Maintenance, and everyone in between.

The Grounds, Beach and pool
The property looks wonderful; the beach is pristine thanks in large part to Oshane and his co-workers. It is raked every morning and I noticed several times that even later in the day after the beach was raked that if they saw something on the beach as they were going from one end of the resort to the other they stopped and picked it up.

There are a lot of new floats on the chairs on the beach, gone are the torn, grayed or stained floats that we saw a lot of two years ago. Couples have purchased new beach tables as well and they are plentiful. Which was a good thing because I think that they are a little smaller then the tables of the past, but there were so many we were able to use 2 of them.

There are new plantings, flowers, shrubs etc. all over the property, the last couple of days they were working on new outdoor lighting and plantings around the pool. The pool looks great, although I have to admit that we did not spend a lot of time here. Maybe a hour or two at the swim up bar in the afternoons but that was about it. It was great to see Elkie and Camille, I still remember when Camille was a trainee working the beach.

The Rooms
This is the first time that I have been able to see the renovated bathrooms in person. I really like them. I like the walk in shower and love the rain shower, most important we never were with out hot water. Although they still have shallow sinks, the faucets have been changed so you don’t get the splash over any longer.

The yellow coverlet is gone and currently there is clean, white cotton coverlet and blankets. I was told that there is another step in the renovations, the soft finishing in the rooms are being updated to soft greys, some of the rooms have been done but I could not drag my tail end off the beach long enough to check them out.

The air conditioning units have been replaced and they work like a charm. In fact you can get the room so cold I think that you could hang meat in there.

The Food
Food is a very subjective thing and I have always thought that food at Couples Negril was very good. This year we thought that it was outstanding. The meal that was served at the Repeater’s Dinner was amazing, I thought that chef did an outstanding job.

When you are there be sure that you try the Cream of Corn with chicken at Heliconia as well as the shredded pork Quesadillas, they were both great and hubby’s favorite. Mine was the Garlic Pasta with grilled shrimp, I could have eaten that every night if it was on the menu. And don’t forget the handmade spring and shrimp rolls served at lunch, they were to die for.

And for all of you CSA fans who love the veggie bar you will soon be able to try CN. They are putting in a veggie bar similar to the one at CSA. They are hoping that it will be in place by the end of the year, but knowing Jamaica I would imagine it will be spring of next year.

Overall

We both loved not having to listen to the jet skies and not having to smell the fuel when we were out in the water near the rope. But I guess with the good you get the bad, there seemed to be many more vendors on the beach this year. Selling jewelry, visors, wise old owls, etc. and of course parasailing and “cigars, cigarettes, it is going to be hot, hot, hot”.

We did go parasailing one say and that was a lot of fun as well as paddling boarding and kayaking, other wise we chilled on the beach or in the water.

Will we be back, with out a doubt, I am trying now to figure it out in my budget for next year to make two trips.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
18  Thank blondie9093
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hi blondie9093,

Thank you so much for deciding to give us another chance at impressing you, which from your review we did. We do take pride in our services and product and continually endeavor to improve them.

Your review has been shared with the Management and Staff of the resort and we look forward to seeing you next year.

There are newer reviews for Couples Negril

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was our second trip to Couples Negril. Enough said. The people are very friendly and the service was outstanding. We won't even mention the food. The nights are as beautiful as the day.
First time we stayed 7 days, this time we stayed 8 days. We enjoyed ourselves so much that my husband want to extend next year for two weeks.
If you want to have an extremely enjoyable, relaxing vacation for TWO, this is the place.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Phyllis B

Hi Phyllis B,

We are delighted that you had an amazing getaway with us. Whilst we do hope that you will stay longer, we just want to welcome you home for whatever length of time.

See you soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by the resort and everything that was included in the "all inclusive".

The property is very nice, well landscaped and our ground floor, ocean view room overlooked a beautiful pond, greenery and the ocean in the back. It had nice and quiet balcony. The room was large, the mattress good, the TV large enough and the bathroom enormous.

The resort has 4 restaurants and all drinks are included! We're not big drinkers, but if we had wanted we could have drank as many cocktails, wine as our heart desired! The food is decent but lackluster. Note: we didn't try the "best" restaurant where you have to dress nicely (no jeans, shirts for men, nice pants or dress for women) since we had only brought beach like clothes. The other three restaurant are: a grill that is open most of the time and has an excellent chicken jerky (I got addicted), a regular restaurant that opens for breakfast, lunch and dinner (long hours for all of them) and an Asian themed restaurant with A/C.

The resort has several daily included activities (crafts, shopping trip to Negril mall, music, windsurfing, casino night, etc) and some additional ones you have to pay for (e.g. cruise, massage). We didn't try the scuba diving classes or the nude beach. We found the day activities the weakest link (hence the 4 and not 5 stars, in addition to the regular food). Most were had a desinterested or un-skilled leader, although most of the resort personal was professional, pleasant and amiable (although not extremely so). There is an A/C exercise room that is large enough, with a deck for aerobic classes and a game room with A/C and a large TV

The property has a large pool and a pool bar next to the sand and the ocean with a small deck where you can sit in nice couches and relax, view the ocean or the pool action on each side.

We took a trip (included) to the other Couples property and found that the Couples Negril had a nicer layout with all the activities pretty much in the center of the resort and that the excercise room if smaller, was AC.

There is a small craft market about 1 block from the property, but otherwise there is nowhere you can go walking. You can hire taxis though to take you anywhere.

Overall, a good 4 star resort and a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Ocean view and balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mzc61

Hi mzc61,

Thank you for having chosen Couples Negril for your vacation destination. We are appreciative of your detailed review and that you enjoyed the overall experience especially the 'chicken jerky' and we hope that you will become as addicted to us as you became with it :) Hoping to see you soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just returned home on Saturday and I have nothing but great things to say about this resort. Friendly staff, great food, fun entertainment. The resort has remained true to the island and is beautiful in it's natural setting. We met a couple who were on their 28th trip. That says a lot! I can't wait to return in the near future. A bit of advise. This is a calm, relaxing resort. If you are looking for a crazy, wild, loud party, this resort is not for you. If peace, calmness and tranquility is what you are looking for... then look no further. As the locals say, "It never rains in Jamaica, it's liquid sunshine mon".

Room Tip: Building 6 is where we stayed. Great Ocean views, but you also get a clear view of the nude section...
1  Thank Starr N Dan H
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We were looking for a smaller, quiet place for a getaway and our travel agent (Jennifer at thetropicaltravelers.com who we highly recommend!) suggested Couples Negril.
We arrived on a Saturday, and were greeted with a cool towel and glass of champagne. Check in was quick and efficient and we were off to our room, which was ready even though we arrived around 2. Our room was in building 2, on the 3rd floor with a garden view. There are very few real ocean view room at this resort, we knew that going in and decided that garden view would be fine. Our room was one of the ones that had been upgraded and was very nice.
Food at the resort was very good. We did the buffet every morning and enjoyed the changing selections, though I’m a sucker for an omelet station and enjoyed that quite a bit. We enjoyed the local flavors and fresh and exotic fruit that was available. For lunch we ate mostly at the Beach Grill, the jerk chicken is fantastic! Lots of other options too. Dinners were great, did most of the restaurants and had dinner at Otaheite twice. This is the only restaurant that requires reservations (they have 3 or 4 seating times) and require you to dress nicely. Drinks were good too, lots of options though I tend not to like the real sweet tropical drinks and it wasn’t till I made it to the Piano Bar that I was able to get a real good martini, but that’s not the kind of drink they are usually making here.
The beach and pool were both great. One thing I was worried about as a pasty white upstate NY’er was that I saw that there were no beach umbrellas, as is apparently the rule on all of 7 mile beach. Luckilly there are plenty of trees that provide ample coverage and I never had a problem finding a place in the shade while the wife enjoyed the sun. The pool was nice as well with plenty of chairs and no problems finding a spot. Pool bar was always a bit busy, but not too bad.
The main thing that sets this place apart is the staff. We have done all inclusive resorts in Mexico, but this is different. Respect is a major part of Jamaican culture and you’ll find that if you show the staff respect, they will respond in kind. That’s not to say they are rude off the bat, just maybe sometimes a bit more reserved. It seemed more genuine to us. There were some amazing staff standouts: Bellard from the entertainment staff was fantastic. He taught a reggae dance class that my wife loved (I could have done better!) then he joined us for dinner so we got a real feel for the local people. He was genuine and interesting and we really appreciated it! He also arranged for a private rum tasting for us since we wouldn’t be there for the actual calss. The entire entertainment staff were great without being overbearing. Housekeeping was also great, accommodating of special requests, etc. Restaurant staff, groundskeeping, all were great.
If I had to nitpick a couple problems…The minibar service was spotty. We had requested some items that we didn’t get the 1st day but were then taken care of the next day. One other day we didn’t get any minibar service at all but we were able to get everything we wanted without too much trouble. Also, some of the beach vendors do get a bit annoying but saying “No thanks” usually gets rid of them.
All in all the place is amazing with some amazing people working there. Give them the respect they reserve and you will have an amazing time! Just know going in that this isn't a grand, marbled floor resort. It has a very authentic island feel and look while still being clean and nice.
Also keep in mind that they have a very firm no tipping policy. It was actually hard to adjust to that but if the staff is seen taking tips they will get in trouble. The best way to pay them compliments is to note their names (we should have done that better) and write them down when you check out.

14  Thank MikeE546
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Hi Mike E,

Thank you for your review from your recent vacation. We do aim to provide the best service and are delighted that you had a great vacation experience with us.

We will ensure to pass on your accolades to the Staff and look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Our first visit will not be our last! After spending 15 yrs visiting the north side of island we've found our new Jamaican home.
From arrival to departure the staff was wonderful.
Food and drinks are top notch. Always had a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, pastries, meats, etc. Loved my omelets every morning.
Beach is beautiful, and always plenty of cushions to use as floats. Drink Service on the beach was outstanding! Raise your flag & another cold drink is coming your way!
Couples Resorts must be doing something right to have so many repeat guest.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Queenu

Hi Queenu,

We are delighted that you have discovered our 'Island Paradise' and have decided to make it your new home. We do take great pleasure and pride in providing the best food and service and can't wait to welcome you back to Jamaica, Couples Resorts and highlight you as another of our many Repeat Guests.

See you soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband Dave, and I spent 15 glorious days at Couples Negril over the Christmas & New Year's Holidays in December 2013 – January 2014. In addition to the holidays we celebrated my birthday & our Wedding Anniversary on this vacation.

This was our 17th trip to Negril Jamaica, and 2nd trip to Couples Negril. We always stay at classy all-inclusive resorts in Negril of similar category, and Couples Negril is one of our favorites.

Couples Negril is a quaint adult-only, all-inclusive resort located on a nice stretch of the amazing Bloody Bay beach, which is the best part of one of the best beaches in the world, Negril’s Seven Mile Beach. The water is warm and calm and you could walk out forever. In my opinion, this is the best beach on the island!

I want to start off by thanking our Couples Negril friends for making our vacation special:
MANAGEMENT AND GUEST SERVICES: Abe Isa, Wayne Williams, Alicia Miller and Kemar Kerr
ENTERTAINMENT: Paul, the Piano Player at the Piano Bar
BARTENDERS: Ivylin, Camille and Tennison
RESTAURANT SERVERS: Tushana, Melone, Shawntel, Celia, Shawn and Stephanie
MAID: Marcia

Here is the recap of our wonderful vacation.

ARRIVAL, TRANSFERS AND CHECK-IN:
Upon arrival at Montego Bay Airport, after going through customs and retrieving luggage guests proceed to the Couple Lounge. This is a nice place to relax and have a Red Stripe while waiting for transfers to the resort. Bus transfers are shared by guests going to Couples Negril (CN) and Couples Swept Away (CAA). CN is the first stop and takes approximately 1.5 hours from the MBJ airport.

Resort check-in was smooth but a little lengthy. I found the need to complete multiple forms with same information redundant. All the details of return flight and return airport transfers were provided prior to our arrival and on multiple forms at check-in, yet they still managed to mess up our return transfers. More on this later in this review. Obtaining our resort credit was also overly complicated. They gave us a voucher on check-in (at the front desk) that we found we had to return to the front desk to apply to our account. They should just apply this in-advance as part of the reservation to avoid frustration and wasted time.

We were communicating with Kemar Kerr, from Guest Relations prior to our arrival with some special requests. Kemar greeted us warmly upon arrival and did a great job accommodating our special requests.

ROOM:
We stayed in the Deluxe Beachfront Room in Block #6. Our 1st floor room was in the perfect location. From the main door you could easily access the center of the resort with the restaurants, bars and entertainment. From the private patio you literally step down to the sand and walk a short way to the beach. The view was wonderful.

The room itself, not so much. This is my biggest complaint about the resort and one of the main reasons I can only give it 4 stars. All the rooms (with the exception of the suites) are tiny! Even the suites are way smaller than suites at comparable neighboring resorts. Storage in the room consists of a closet and only one small wall unit with 4 small wicker basket type shelves and an open shelf under each night stand. Bathrooms have only one open shelf for storage. It really made it tough to find room to unpack for a 15 day vacation. But creatively we managed.

Lighting in the rooms is very poor as well. The bathrooms are equipped with an old-fashioned wall hair dryer that barely worked. Since the bathrooms have no plugs where you can plug in your own dryer you had to unplug a lamp in the bedroom room to use your own hair dryer in front of a mirror in the barely lit room.

The air-conditioning and the ceiling fan in the room worked well.

Bathroom had a shower inside the tub and the shower head was completely clogged and barely released any water. We mentioned this issue to Alicia Miller, assistant to the GM, and we had a brand new shower head installed the next morning. This was most impressive and we really appreciated Alicia's prompt assistance with this issue.

We also had nice surprises such as a lovely picture book of Jamaica, a stuffed animal, champagne and cards greet us in our room for Christmas, my birthday and our anniversary, courtesy of Alicia and Kemar. We were really touched by their thoughtfulness.

One issue we encountered in our room was construction noise for two days. A couple of days after New Year's, when occupancy was decreasing, they started renovating a suite 2 doors down from our room. Even though construction took place during the day, noise was unbearable and made it impossible to take a nap or relax in the room during the day. It is customary for resorts to notify guests of construction, but Couples did not. We had only a few days left of our vacation and did not bother complaining and moving to another room, but we did remember it.

RESTAURANTS:
Food at the resort was good.

Breakfast and lunch buffets were consistently good. The snapper they had at every breakfast and lunch was great, and we had it every time! Each day for lunch there was a different themed station with tasty options as well.

Specialty restaurants were good as well.

Lychee, the Asian restaurant was tasty and service was good. Monday evening Repeater Dinners are served at this restaurant and are fun events with good food.

Otaheite, the elegant restaurant was very good. The velvet booths for two offer a romantic setting. The steak and lobster were out favorite entrees there and their desserts we great as well. Service was very good too.

Heliconia, the outdoor, beachside restaurant was our favorite restaurant. Food, atmosphere and service were great, especially by our favorite server, Tushana.

On Friday nights (when in season) the restaurants offer lobster which was excellent.

Beach Grill that was open during the day and throughout the night was a convenient place to grab a quick bite. Jerk chicken was very good but hamburgers were pretty bad. They refused to grill them rare or even medium and instead consistently overcooked them to a shoe sole level. Service was not very good, we always felt like we were interrupting the employees with our food orders.

BARS:
Selection or spirits was pretty good. The piano bar had the best selection and offered higher end spirits such as Grey Goose Vodka on a nightly basis. House wines and champagne were just OK.

The pool bar was our favorite! On one side it is a pool swim up bar, and on the other side it is accessible right from the beach. Service at this bar was very good and friendly. Ivylin, Camille and Tennison made wonderful mojitos, along with all the usual Jamaican specialty cocktails and always had big smiles on their faces!

Just a short distance away was the main beach bar, and it often felt like a different environment. Service was not as good, and some of the bartenders there had an attitude. We did not spend that much time there.

SPECIAL EVENTS:
We were fortunate to be at CN during Christmas and New Year's Eve celebrations. These were wonderful extravaganzas! It took many months of hard work and planning for the resort and staff to prepare for the celebrations and it showed in every way! These events were top notch!

On Christmas Eve they had a lovely poolside cocktail party, with tasty drinks and hors dourves. The oyster station was amazing! This was a great opportunity to mingle with the other guests and resort staff.

Christmas Day is quite an event at CN every year. It starts in the morning with the arrival of Santa and his helpers. The big surprise always is the way Santa arrives. During our trip Santa arrived in a horse-drawn sleigh all the way down the beach. There was an entire village created on the beach, where guests would sit on Santa's lap, receive gifts and take picture. Many guest, including us, wore Christmas colors and wore antlers, Santa hats and other Christmas novelties. It made for such a fun environment and we had a blast!

New Year's Eve celebration was awesome! This year's theme was The 80's and the resort was transformed into that decade with neon colors, movie, TV show & MTV posters, props and decorations, along with 80's music and entertainment. Entertainment crew employees were dressed like characters from the 80's and that was just great! Dinner buffet was plentiful, but the food was not remarkable. Drinks were flowing and service was great. It was a wonderful way to ring in the New Year.

We also purchased a private candlelit dinner on the beach to celebrate our Anniversary. It was wonderful and very romantic. We picked our own location and menu. Food, service, drinks and atmosphere were amazing!

ENTERTAINMENT:
Nightly entertainment shows varied and were entertaining.

Piano bar was always a blast. Paul, the piano player is very talented and knows how to get the crowd singing. Two nights each week the Piano Bar was transformed into a night club and it was a blast as well. The Piano bar was a popular place to end the day.

BEACH:
Bloody Bay’s amazing white sand beach and warm tranquil Caribbean Sea are something people never forget!

CN offers plenty of beach chairs, tables and floaters for everybody. During the high occupancy times, such as the holidays, it's a good idea to make your way to the beach early in order to get your preferred beach location, floaters and chairs. Beach bar also provides guests with red flags that when placed in the sand signal beach servers that you are in need of a drink. This is a great service offered by CN.

WATER SPORTS AND EXCURSIONS:
Couples offers daily complementary Scuba diving (PADI certification is extra) and various other water sports, such as snorkel trips, water skiing, Hobie cats, kayaks, and paddle boards and these are readily available.

Sunset catamaran party cruises are also offered several times a week. I highly recommend taking one of these complementary cruises. It is a great way to see the beautiful Negril coastline, do some snorkeling and mingle with other guests while listening to some reggae and sipping on rum punch.

Complementary excursions to Rick's Café, Margaritaville and shopping are also a fun way to experience attractions outside the resort.

SPA:
We usually book a couples massage during our Jamaica vacations. We did so at CN and were quite disappointed.
We reserved and purchased a 50 minute couples massage days in advance. We arrived 15 minutes early as instructed and completed all necessary paperwork, and then we waited and waited. They were running late with other guests, so they took us 15 minutes late. This would not have been an issue if we got our full 50 minutes, but they finished our massage 10 minutes early.

Additionally, with the massages we have had in the past we are accustomed to peace, quiet and relaxation during our massage. A few minutes into our massage, as we were just starting to relax the masseuses decided to start chit-chatting and asking us a million questions about us and our vacation. They were nice and friendly, and under other circumstances, I would have loved to socialize, but not during a relaxing massage. The massage itself was just average compared to neighboring resorts. I don't think we will be booking any more spa treatments at Couples Negril.

PHOTO SHOP:
We purchased a photo package that in addition to the pictures included a porcelain tile with an iron frame with the picture of our choice.

During the holiday celebrations and throughout our stay photographers walked around snapping pictures of guests. Guests then go into the Photo Shop to pick out the pictures they wanted to keep. The picture choosing process at CN is very antiquated. Unlike other resorts, where you could sit at a computer and scroll and sort through the pictures on your own, at CN you had no access to the mouse or control of the pictures, but instead had an employee scroll through the pictures on the opposite side of the desk from where you were looking at the screen. You'd have to tell them stop here, or keep going, save this, delete this... It was extremely time consuming and annoying. In addition, the special porcelain picture that was mailed to our house a few weeks later arrived broken. We called them and they were supposed to send a replacement. To this day, over 7 months later, we have not received a replacement. The pictures themselves turned out great, but we will not be purchasing another picture package until they provide a more convenient way of reviewing and selecting them.

FRONT DESK:
Some of the staff at the front desk, especially the evening shift, seemed uninterested in assisting the guests, and often very "out of it". One evening we were planning to go off property to meet some friends at a neighboring resort. We asked the front desk to call a taxi for us and they said they couldn't call a taxi. Seriously! No taxis to take guests out in the evening? We inquired again and were told that they can't help us with a taxi. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard at a resort! Negril has tons of taxis on every corner. We complained to the day manager and they were shocked that this happened. We ended up taking off our shoes and walking down the beach to the resort next door to meet our friends, and at the end of our visit that resort had no problem getting us a return taxi.

Now back to the incompetence of the check-out process that I mentioned at the beginning of my review. Upon arrival, after completing all the necessary paperwork, we booked our return to the airport on the 9:15am bus and received a signed vouches stating this. We received a call on the morning of our departure asking us to put our luggage outside shortly after 7am. We were all packed and did so, not thinking much about it at first. Luckily I got a bit suspicious and went to the front desk to check on our transfer. Well, surprise, they had us booked on the 8:15 bus, an hour earlier. Our luggage was about to be put on the 8:15am buss without us! When I caught the mistake, I got major attitude from the front desk staff, and was told that there may not be any room for us on the 9:15 bus! We had correct transfers booked 15 days earlier, and this was clearly their mistake, but instead of an apology, we got major attitude and aggravation. Instead of having breakfast prior to our long trip home, we spent the remainder of our time dealing with the incompetence of the front desk while they tried to put us on the correct bus. Luckily we made it. It is sad that this is the last memory of such a wonderful vacation. The resort of this caliber needs to address and remedy front desk issues.

Overall, even with some of the issues, we had a wonderful vacation. The positive things outweighed the negative, and we are planning on returning to Couples Negril in the future.

One Love!

Room Tip: All rooms are small. For space book a suite. For the best view and location book the Deluxe Beachf...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple