“Six Stars”

Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Negril
MInnesota
“Six Stars”
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We're usually ready to come back from vacation. We've spent beyond what was planned for and look forward to seeing the kids. Not this time! The Couples Negril experience is one that you will want to last and last and last. Plus, the resort takes the "all-inclusive" concept to the Nth degree. You'll feel as if you "saved." You can make your stay here as private or as social as you like - including dining options, trips, activities and services at the resort.

Regarding dining service:
Top-Notch. Attentive but not intrusive. An incredible choice of dining options and variety of restaurants. I never had a cup of coffee half full or a glass of wine empty. The first morning, while browsing the enormous buffet, a chef asked me if I was looking for something speicifc. I told him I was keeping my eye out for the "boiled green bananas" I had heard about on the way to the resort. He said, "They are not on the buffet this morning but for you, lady, I will prepare some for you." I felt like a queen. Stick a red flag in the sand while sunning on the beach and you'll have a smile there in a flash ready to take your drink order. Want to take your desert down to the beach to watch the sunset? No problem, 'mon.

Regarding safety:
There are guards on each end of the resort's beach area. You are free to stroll beyond, but they prefer to take your room number to keep track of you. The vendors are very appropriately controlled. I felt more than safe - I felt taken care of.

Regarding cleanliness:
I am a severe critic when in comes to cleanliness. The rooms, grounds, dining and pools areas - all immaculately kept.

We feel that our stay at Couples Negril was an investment in our marriage.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — nothin. 'mon.
15 Thank missymariemissymarie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,036)
  • Polish first
pittsburgh, pa
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I don't even know where to start. I loved this place so much. I searched tirelessly for the perfect place to renew my wedding vows after 15 years. After countless hours of reading reviews on trip advisor I finally found a place that was as eclectic as we were. Couples Negril from the driver who brought us from the airport to the resort, the front end staff the wedding coordinator, the housekeeping staff, the chef in the main dining room were all very accommidating. I have never encountered a place where I didn't have at least one complaint. If I had one I can't even remember what it was. This place is beautiful with plenty to do. If your looking for a spot to chill, renew your spirit and your love and just be this is the place. What more can I say!!!

The food goes beyond description only complaint there is that there is just to much to choose from so you tend to over eat. LOL

We had a private dinner on the beach and oh my what a romantic event that was. Words escape me!!! You will just have to experience this for yourself.

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — the steps - we were on the 3rd floor and there were a lot of stairs.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tdjjjma7
Sussex. England
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We stayed in Couples Negril from 30th December to 6th January 2009 so celebrated the New Year away.

We had a very good flight from the UK with Thomson and arrived on time. We spent a short time in the Couples lounge at the airport before being transferred to the resort which takes about 90mins on not very good roads and with a very bad driver. First impressions were okay; the website photos make it look better.

CHECK-IN was all very easy on arrival.

SPA - Caroline used this once to have a manicure done. The person who did this was unfriendly and did not speak despite her trying to make conversation so she didn’t go back! The service in the Spa is a bit pricey but compares with resorts elsewhere.

STAFF - Very good and friendly service. This is one of the hotels biggest assets.

LOCATION - Nice beach which is cleaned daily although you do get locals trying to sell on the beach including drugs!!

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT - found this to be repetitive. Maybe the entertainments team could have put a show on.

NEW YEARS EVE – Food was excellent – the best of the holiday but the music was very repetitive.

ROOM – View of the green tree space. Clean. The hot water was a bit of a hit and miss but got better as the hotel guest numbers thinned out after new year.

FOOD - This I would say was the BIGGEST disappointment of the holiday.
Cassava - okay lunchtime buffets, mostly luke warm and very average on al a carte nights.
Beach grill - slow service. Undercooked luke warm food with cold fries.
Heliconia - very slow service, very average food. The evening meal was ok but the table was so badly lit we could hardly read the menu and then had to borrow a candle from the entrance to be able to see the food we were eating.
Lychee - slow service, very average food. Shelley (and Phil), the English couple living in Fl, if you are reading this – would you like to contact us? tonyeng@aol.com
Otaheite – Most prob the best food we had. We felt we were sitting in a conveyor belt the way the food was served. Tables are also too high or the chairs too low....l.not sure which. Very badly lit with low lights.

Overall.......

It was a nice relaxing holiday but NOT 5star. We have on previous trips stayed in Sandals and I would say they have the edge for food and evening entertainment.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Tony M
new york
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Let me start off with saying that my wife and I have been to many nice all inclusive resorts in Mexico and Dominican Republic. Couples Negril was hands down the best one I have ever been to and we would go back there in a hearbeat.

Beach:

One of the best I have ever seen. The water is calm, clear as day and warm. The beach is kept immaculately clean by the staff. They also have drink service on the beach, which can be a little slow...but who cares, you are on vacation.

Pool:

The pool is small but very clean and nice. The pool bar is great and the bartenders make some of the best drinks I have ever had, which gets me to my next point.

Drinks:

Most resorts water down their drinks. Well, definitely not at Couples Negril. The drinks were perfect. The frozen margaritas, rum punch, bay breeze...the list goes on and on. The drink menu is 6 pages long with about 60 different types of drinks. Of course, you have red stripe, which I could not get enough of. Also, if you like rum, I would ask each bartender to make me their own special rum punch and they would always be good. BEWARE of the Bob Marleys. Just ask for one and you will know why.

Restaurants:

The food here was great. The grill is perfect for a nice quick lunch (jerk chicken, hamburgers, fish sticks, onion rings and nachos are a must). My wife and I really enjoyed the Asian restaurant and went there twice. They had saki, which I loved. This resort also likes to do bbqs outside, which cannot be missed. The roasted pig was great. I will not go into anymore detail about the food. I will sum up by saying it was all great and we never had a complaint. Try it all!

Water Sports:

This to me is where this resort really distinguishes itself. I am a certified scuba diver and the diving is included. There is a 9:30 am and a 1:30 pm dive everyday, except Saturday when it is a 2 tank dive from 9:30 - 12:00. The boat leaves right from your perfect beach. I did 5 dives and saw 2 nurse sharks, sting rays and even had the opportunity to see two dolphins who swam with the group almost the entire dive (one of the most amazing things I have ever seen diving). All of this is inculded!!!!!

My wife and I went snorkeling, which was also great. The boat goes 10-15 minutes to a nice shallow reef with plenty of fish. Included!

The catamaran crusie is fun as well. This goes out 3 days a week, so sign up in advance. The ship travels about 45 minutes to a nice cave area where it anchors and you can swim in the caves or take a slide right off the boat. Beer and rum punch is served. Again, this is included!!!

The list goes on and on: water skiing, kyacks, sailing, etc. etc. You will not be bored at this resort. Or you can just sit back and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Flight:

We took US Airways. It left almost 2 hours late from JFK, we barely made our connecting flight and our luggage showed up 10 hours after we arrived (the resort and the airport were great in dealing with getting our luggage to the resort, however). I would try another airline and definitely try to get a direct flight.

Ride from Airport:

One hour and a half in a nice cool van. The scenery is nice because you drive right along the coast, so take it in. Plus, since it is a Couples van, you do not have to stop at every resort on the way.

Rooms:

We had booked a garden view room but asked for an upgrade and recevied an ocean view room, which was nice. The rooms are comfortable, but could use a face lift (especially the bathrooms). Again, you will not be spending much time in the rooms, so no biggie.

Grounds:

Picture perfect. Lush palm trees, natural ponds with fish, beautiful birds, green grass, perfect beach, etc. The staff keeps it in perfect shape.

Conclusion:

I can keep going on and on and I have left a lot of great things out. Go and see for yourself. This is one of the best resorts and you will not regret it. Have a Bob Marley for me!

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — Having to go home and back to reality
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
14 Thank mike514
Chicago
Reviewed 15 January 2009

My husband and I got home from Couples Negril after spending eight days at the beautiful resort. We stayed there from 1/05-1/12. We have been on a few vacations in the past years, and this was by far the best all-inclusive resort that we have ever been to. We had a stress/problem/drama free vacation with no complications at all. I will have to say that we are pretty laid back people who do not have to have perfection in order to enjoy an experience.
We arrived at the resort after a 1-1/2 hour drive from the Montego Bay airport. The ride is not bad; you have a coast or a mountain view the entire ride. If there is a chance you get motion sickness, I would suggest taking medication. (It can get a little bumpy)
The employees greet you with a nice glass of champagne, cool towels, and a great smile. Check-in was extremely fast and effortless. We received our keys and were shown to our rooms immediately.
The beach was great, Couples makes sure that the beach is cleaned every morning. Both my husband and I are beach people; I would have to give this Beach an A+. The water is clear, warm and clam. The pool was very clean, and the resort has plenty of chairs for everyone.
The food is to die for!!!! I have never said this at any other all inclusive we have been to. The food actually tasted wonderful, it was all hot, and tasted fresh. I never had a problem finding something I liked. (Don’t miss the Pork Tenderloin or Jerk Chicken)
The rooms were nothing to rave about; however, they are very clean and the air blows cold!!! The beds were extremely comfortable as well.
What makes this a first-rate resort is the employees, the service is impeccable. All the employees I encountered radiate positivity, warmth, and sincerity. Everyone makes you feel comfortable and at home here. I think they must send their employees to extensive training because the presentation of the food and resort is top notch.
There is nudity at the resort, but this never made us feel uncomfortable. It is not an overbearing situation.
Another benefit to Couples is all of their water activities are included We went on two night catamaran cruises, glass bottom boat tour, snorkeling, and kayaking (This would have cost over $400 at any other resort)
Overall we 100% enjoyed our stay and I hope to go back in the next year!!!!

9 Thank jmc2135
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2009

Fantastic wedding
Fantasic staff who cant do enough for you at all times

you must go here

• Liked — Fantastic Staff
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shandylincs
Baltimore
Reviewed 12 January 2009

My wife & I have just returned from Couples Negril. We where there from 1/3 to 1/10/09. We are in our late 30’s travel to the Caribbean & Mexico at least twice a year & have stayed @ many higher end all-inclusive resorts. This is our 2nd time to Jamaica. The first time we stayed @ the Grand Bahia Principe in Runaway Bay, which was maybe mediocre at best. Couples Negril was one of the best resorts that we have ever been to & blew away the Grand Bahia in every aspect. After staying @ Couples, I feel that the Grand Bahia should be condemned. Here is the breakdown of our trip:

Travel:
We flew in on Air Jamaica direct from Baltimore with no problems at all. Great airline! After arriving in the Montego Bay airport & going through baggage claim & customs, we went to the Couples lounge for a Redstripe & water. After 10 minutes in the lounge we where driven directly to the resort on an air conditioned bus, which took about 1 hour & 30 minutes.

Check in:
Very smooth. We where given a cold towel & glass of champagne upon arrival to the resort. Our room was ready right away & out luggage was taken to our room by a bellman.

Room:
No complaints at all. Had a standard garden room located on the 3rd floor of building 4. The room was a little bit out-dated; however, it did not bother us at all. The room was very clean, had a good air conditioner, a 42 inch flat screen TV with all of the main channels, a comfortable king sized bed, a nice balcony overlooking the beautiful grounds & a fully stocked mini bar with beer, water, soda, & hard liquor! You can order whatever you want to stock your bar with! The bathroom was standard & worked for us. They also offer a room service continental breakfast every morning if you want it & also provide a nightly turn down service every night.

Grounds:
Beautiful grounds & very well kept. Many palm trees & tropical foliage.

Food & drink:
The food was excellent! They serve the best food that I have had at an all-inclusive resort by a landslide. The breakfast buffet was excellent & had everything you could imagine. We had the room service continental breakfast twice, which was also very good. The beach grill was great for lunch. Good jerk chicken & nachos! We ate at all of the restaurants for dinner twice: Lychee, Otahite, & Halacona, all of which where excellent. They never ran out of anything & you never had to wait for anything. Friday night is lobster night & they serve lobster at all of the restaurants. The drinks where made as strong as you want with top shelf liquor & served with a smile. There are no plastic 8 ounce Dixie cups at this resort! The Casavasa bar has live reggae every night & even had a steel drum band play one night, which was awesome! The Halacona bar was my favorite, located right on the beach overlooking the ocean.

Weather:
Perfect. Sunny & 85 degrees every day.

Service:
Bar none, the best service that I have ever had at any resort in the US or in the Caribbean! The staff is very polite, professional, & extremely nice! Very high praise to all, especially Omar, Tonisha, Shrek, Kevin, Conroy, Damion, & Franklin. We have made a lot of new friends with the staff here that we hope to see again soon.

Beach:
Awesome white sand beach with crystal clear turquoise water. The water is like glass, there are no waves & it is always just the right temperature. There are always seats available at any time of the day. The red flag drink service is incredible. They even have a self serve liquor bar right on the beach if you want to make your own drink! You can take a walk to the end of the beach all the way down to the Riu Negril resort. It’s a nice walk which provides many interesting sights.

Excursions:
Did both the reef snorkeling trip & sunset catamaran booze cruise through the resort = free. Both where a lot of fun & I highly recommend them both. I also did the parasailing which was about $60 & worth every penny.

One thing that I had forgot to mention is that there are no kids allowed on the resort, which makes it very peaceful & romantic. I wish that I was still there. This is one of the best vacations that my wife & I have ever had. We will definitely be coming back to this resort next year & every year. I don’t see how anyone could say anything bad about this resort. You will definitely have a good time here.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Leaving