“Manage Your Expectations”

Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Memphis, Tennessee
“Manage Your Expectations”
Reviewed 27 January 2009

My wife and I recently vacationed at Couples Negril for our honeymoon in November, 2008. My wife and I frequently travel on business both domestically and internationally so we typically stay at four and five star hotels. Couples Negril claims to be a five star resort but certainly does not live up to the rest of the world's standards.

Check in: Speedy and impersonal. You are herded with the rest of the bus load of people and given a quick rundown of the rules of the facility.

Rooms: The rooms are equivalent to a run down Comfort Inn. We booked a Beachfront Deluxe and were located on the first floor right next to the nude beach. We were able to be relocated to a second floor room on the opposite side of the property the next day, but it is ridiculous they would consider that room as one of their premium, select rooms. The stocked bar is nice, but you constantly have to run to get ice (which is in a tub on the first floor and usually half melted) and the liquor brands are subpar. One nice thing is the abundance of US TV channels.

Food/Drinks: Not bad, not great. The Asian restaurant was surprisingly good (in comparison to the others). The breakfast was always good and I always started the day off by eating too much. However, it would have been much more enjoyable if the buffet was located inside. The other restaurants were ok, nothing notable. The drinks were acceptable with the right amount of coaching. Tell them how you want your drink and the exact brand. Otherwise, they will try to give you the cheap stuff. The piano bar has Grey Goose, but it's hidden in the cabinet so you'll have to ask for it.

Beach/Service: The beach is definitely the best part of the property. The beach is beautiful and the lounge chairs were usually readily available. I can't say the drink service is quick, but it beats getting up and getting your own. The trick is to put up your flag when you are halfway finished with your drink. The service is moderately friendly and very inefficient. They tend to act annoyed when you ask them to do their job. When we arrived, they supposedly took our bags to our rooms. Thirty minutes later we discovered our bags four doors down the hall sitting outside.

Activities: I would highly recommend the sailing. We had a blast. The catamaran cruise was ok. They just play really loud Raggae music and try to shove shots of overproof rum down your throat. We didn't participate in many of the social activities as the overall crowd was much older, but there is the opportunity to participate in as much or as little as you would like.

Conclusion: I won't say this was a horrible experience. But, in the future, we will stay elsewhere when vacationing in the Caribbean. It’s all about your expectation. If you are expecting a five star resort, do not go to Couples Negril because you will be sorely disappointed. If you are looking for a three star property with a great beach, you will get exactly what you are looking for in Couples Negril.

• Liked — The beach.
  • Disliked — The rooms and facilities.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank drewm9182

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,037)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Where do I start?!! An incredible holiday, making returning to the UK a very hard task. The beach was stunnning, with white sands (natural) and torquoise sea. the Jamaicans along the beach were incredibly friendly always chatting without the pressure of selling. the hotel was immaculate and always clean. the food was always extremely nice with the choice of jamaican, asian, italien, mexican, british (they even had york pud and roast beef one day!!). i found the majority of the staff very nice and always willing for a chat. the amenities were fantastic and the array of entertainment was fantastic. one night they had a jamaican buffet on the beach followed by a bonfire with an unbelievable singer (he should be famous!) all i can say is that you must be mad not to like this hotel. It is not that I havent stayed in luxurious hotels before because i ahve and i ahve to say this has been the best. paradise is probably the best word for this hotel and resort!!

• Liked — everthing!
  • Disliked — nothing!
4 Thank alxndrmilton
Ireland
Reviewed 24 January 2009

We stayed for 10 nights, first time at an all inclusive resort for both of us, we read all the reviews, looked at all the photos etc. and booked it.

It was absolutely stunning, the pampering, the food, the activities, more fantastic dinners and the staff !
These levels of service are not in Europe, we found it all a bit overwhelming at first, and just couldn't believe that there were a couple of Americans making a scene out of really petty issues, maybe they are used to this type of luxury more than us.

We made full use of all the free equipment, sailing snorkelling etc. and really enjoyed it all.

The Couples people do make the holiday special, we returned to Montego Bay using Timair as a special treat to ourselves, well worth it !!

• Liked — A really special treat
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008
Oxford, England
Reviewed 24 January 2009

We have just returned from the most wonderful vacation. Hotel is brilliant, food superb and the staff are excellent! Special mention of thanks to Andrew in Entertainments, Devon, Marlon, Terena & Derek all located in the restaurant. Floy & Tassis on the au natural beach and Paul in the piano bar. Everyone was so helpful and friendly - they went out of their way to assist you & made sure you were having a great vacation. We visited all four restaurants for dinner and could not fault the food at all. We will definitely return to this hotel again as it is the best we have been to in the Carribean.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
5 Thank Huwange
scotland
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We stayed at couples in Jan for 2 weeks.
The plus point of the resort are definitely the beach - it is probably the best beach we have visited.
However the rest of the hotel did not meet our expectations. From other reviews I had expected the rooms to be tired - which they really well.
When we got to our room the shower did not work and the patio doors did not open and the security box did not work - we had to call front desk 3 times before someone would come to sort it out,. All we wanted to do was have a shower and have some dinner and go to bed as we had travelled from uk and had a long flight.
The room was not even cleaned very well by the housekeeper - I don't think the floor was mopped or swept the whole time we were there as you could see all the sand and water marks from us coming in from the beach each day. Some days the coffee cups were not cleaned and bin not emptied. It also annoyed me as on several occasions we had to wait until after 5pm for our room to be serviced. The turn down service is a complete waste of time - they literally turn down the bed and that is it!! We may have been unlucky with our maid but surely they should have a supervisor who should be checking their rooms.
Check in itself is not that great - at other all inclusive resorts usually they have all your details and check in is really quick - the rep does not provide the hotel with any info so on arrival you are handed a clip board and told to fill it in and give them a credit card- its a bit impersonal.
The food is not bad but it is nothing special - was very disappointed not to get more Jamaican food on offer apart from the trade mark jerk chicken/pork. We found the waiting staff very rude in the main restaurant - they very really not interested in providing a good service and were not very polite. Most mornings at breakfast the tables were rarely completely set - you had to grab things of other tables eg salt/pepper/sugar and cups. Some mornings we were never even offered any coffee and had to ask - eventually we stopped asking as the staff would respond by huffing and eventually banging the cups and saucer down on the table.
The red flag service on the beach is a good idea but again staff very not great - in the morning they went around and threw the flags at you - when we put our flag up to ask for a drink they come over and say 'wat you want' and wander away. I even saw one member of staff go over to a guest who had her flag up and she kicked her sun lounger to ger her attention and ask what she wanted. We also say alot of staff drinking on duty , they would be brought drinks from other staff and would stand and drink and smoke in full who of guests - were also offered drugs from staff and you could tell that some of them were high.
We rarely went to the piano bar as were not made to feel very welcome - the first time we went in my boyfriend asked for a beer and he was told - you'll have to go downstairs and get one we dont do it up here - the same went for mixed cocktails - did not see the point in a bar that did not serve these things.
The pool was also lovely and plenty of sun loungers on offer - the disappointing thing was there is no drinks service offered around the pool.
We were also kept awake most nights by the sound of staff shouting/laughing and I think pushing trolleys along the paths - they clearly have no regard for people sleeping at 1 or 2 in the morning!
I may sound that we are being really picky - but we paid alot of money to come to what is advertised as a 5 star hotel - and it is by no means 5 star - had it been advertised as 3/4 then the standards may have been acceptable. We stayed at the Riu Palace in Mexico the previous year - which actually cost less - and it was what you would call a 5 star resort!!
At couples there was no presence of may managers or supervisor apart from the managers cocktail party on a Monday - other than that there seems to be no one of authority going around to check that the resort is being run correctly.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Staff service, Room
11 Thank aw200583
MInnesota
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We're usually ready to come back from vacation. We've spent beyond what was planned for and look forward to seeing the kids. Not this time! The Couples Negril experience is one that you will want to last and last and last. Plus, the resort takes the "all-inclusive" concept to the Nth degree. You'll feel as if you "saved." You can make your stay here as private or as social as you like - including dining options, trips, activities and services at the resort.

Regarding dining service:
Top-Notch. Attentive but not intrusive. An incredible choice of dining options and variety of restaurants. I never had a cup of coffee half full or a glass of wine empty. The first morning, while browsing the enormous buffet, a chef asked me if I was looking for something speicifc. I told him I was keeping my eye out for the "boiled green bananas" I had heard about on the way to the resort. He said, "They are not on the buffet this morning but for you, lady, I will prepare some for you." I felt like a queen. Stick a red flag in the sand while sunning on the beach and you'll have a smile there in a flash ready to take your drink order. Want to take your desert down to the beach to watch the sunset? No problem, 'mon.

Regarding safety:
There are guards on each end of the resort's beach area. You are free to stroll beyond, but they prefer to take your room number to keep track of you. The vendors are very appropriately controlled. I felt more than safe - I felt taken care of.

Regarding cleanliness:
I am a severe critic when in comes to cleanliness. The rooms, grounds, dining and pools areas - all immaculately kept.

We feel that our stay at Couples Negril was an investment in our marriage.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — nothin. 'mon.
15 Thank missymariemissymarie
pittsburgh, pa
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I don't even know where to start. I loved this place so much. I searched tirelessly for the perfect place to renew my wedding vows after 15 years. After countless hours of reading reviews on trip advisor I finally found a place that was as eclectic as we were. Couples Negril from the driver who brought us from the airport to the resort, the front end staff the wedding coordinator, the housekeeping staff, the chef in the main dining room were all very accommidating. I have never encountered a place where I didn't have at least one complaint. If I had one I can't even remember what it was. This place is beautiful with plenty to do. If your looking for a spot to chill, renew your spirit and your love and just be this is the place. What more can I say!!!

The food goes beyond description only complaint there is that there is just to much to choose from so you tend to over eat. LOL

We had a private dinner on the beach and oh my what a romantic event that was. Words escape me!!! You will just have to experience this for yourself.

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — the steps - we were on the 3rd floor and there were a lot of stairs.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple