“Our new home in Negril.”
Review of Couples Negril

Couples Negril
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My husband and I just returned from a seven-night stay at Couples Negril. We had stayed at two other resorts in Jamaica before, and after sampling the others, we will definitely be returning to Couples for future visits.

The Couples lounge at the airport was easy to locate, comfortable and well-organized. The shuttle bus arrived promptly, but not TOO promptly - we had time for a glass of Red Stripe before following our bags out to the bus and heading to Negril. The drive was uneventful, and we arrived at the resort in good time.

Check-in was simple, efficient and friendly, and included a glass of champagne and a welcome damp towel. We were shown to our room, a Deluxe Beachfront in Building #1, and got a quick tour of the resort along the way. Our bags showed up shortly thereafter, but we opted to go out and explore a bit before unpacking. After sticking my toes in the Caribbean, we strolled down the gorgeous, well-groomed beach, then grabbed a rum punch and went back to get settled into our room. While we were unpacking, one of the ladies who does the evening turn-down service arrived, and we had an impromptu Bob Marley sing-along while she plumped the pillows. Right away, we felt completely welcome.

We tried each of the restaurants during our stay. The Cassava Terrace buffets were excellent - a wide variety of foods, well-prepared and tasty. Dinner at Lychee was so nice we went twice. If you're a seafood fan, the snook is very good. Heliconia was our favorite for lunch, mostly because I'm just not happy unless I get some jerk chicken each day. In the evenings they do a pasta/steakhouse thing there, but we missed that. Dinner at Otaheite was lovely, and I can't say enough about the spinach, green pea and callaloo soup I had there. The jerk lamb was also wonderful, as was the tenderloin my husband enjoyed. We also had a private dinner on the beach our last night at the resort, and it was simply gorgeous.

The bartenders were friendly, the entertainment staff was engaging (and Amanda, in particular, is everywhere!), the house and groundskeeping teams were meticulous. My husband went diving four times and spoke very highly of the SCUBA team's organization, and the watersports crew was great when we went snorkeling and took one of the included sunset catamaran cruises the resort offers.

Our room was great. We usually choose a suite, but they were booked by the time we were able to confirm our dates this time, so we were a little apprehensive - but there was no need. The deluxe beachfront was comfortable, roomy and perfectly fine for our needs. If you want luxury dripping from every feature, you'll be underwhelmed, but if you want a good, clean place to cool off, shower and sleep you'll do just fine.

We'll absolutely be returning to Couples Negril in the future - preferably as soon as possible.

6  Thank Bear63
Write a ReviewReviews (4,397)

Reviewed 18 May 2009

My husband and I just returned last week from Couples Negril. I really couldn't find a lot wrong with this resort. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous. I referred to it as a "well manicured forrest". The pool is great, the beach is beautiful, the food was really good, and everything else was just perfect. We were at the pool most of the time, but went to the beach area when we had too much sun. There are a million chairs under tree's on the beach and plenty at the pool too. No worries about fighting early morning for chairs. The beach is perfect. The water is the most calm water I have ever seen and like bath water! The gym was pretty nice and had everything we needed. The restaurants were nice and food really good. Plenty to chose from and our favorites were the sushi place, and the grill by the pool. I heard the entertainment was great, but we pooped out early each night from being in the sun so much all day long. The only downfall was that the place get REALLY dark at night. It gets dark early there and the grounds are very dark and so are the restaurants. I could barely see my food! The only thing I didn't like was bad lighting in the rooms. Also, at the price we paid I had expected true luxury when it came to the room. It was very clean and nice, but no luxury there. The lighting was pretty crappy too. It was hard to get ready for dinner in the dark. The bathroom was the only area that had good lights. And for those of you that need a flat iron/curling iron, you have to do your hair by the bed. There isn't a plug in in the bathroom. There's a hairdryer in there and that's it. All in all I loved the place and would go back in a heartbeat. I'm very picky and we don't revisit resorts often, but I would go back here for sure. Service is great. Some of the staff need to be trained on friendliness, but most were great. When they say no tipping, they mean it. In Mexico we tip all the time, but the staff are not allowed to accept tips here and they tell you that. I tried to tip a waitress at the pool and she said she can't take it, but we did leave money on the table at the restaurants. I would say to all of you that are undecided, you need to just book it. You won't be sorry.

7  Thank LivinTheLife3
Reviewed 18 May 2009

My boyfriend and I spent 8 days at Couples Negril, arriving on Saturday May 2nd. The travel agent suggested this resort and we werent’t quite sure what to expect. We both have traveled the islands pretty extensively and have stayed at a number of all inclusives, “ala carte’s as well as a few cruises. We had read all the trip advisor reports and 95% were positive.

Getting There:
We flew from BWI to Montego Bay via Air Jamaica. It was a short flight since Air Jamaica flies over Cuba. We got through customs and immigration without any problems. Found the Couples lounge and were offered a cold Red Stripe while we waited for our van ride to the resort. The van trip took about 90 minutes, with a pit stop approx. half way for restroom and another cold beer at a small bar. When we arrived at CN we were greeted with cold towels and champagne. While on our way to our room we were given a quick “tour” of the property.

The surroundings:
We were in building 4000, near the tennis courts and somewhat close to the street. Walking to our room we could hear some noise from the street, but once in the room you could’nt hear any street noise. This building had an ocean view, but was not ocean front. The panorama from our balcony was tropical lush – water, palms, ponds, gardens - beautiful…

This resort has one large swim up pool with bar, and one small dive pool. There are 3 hot tubs situated throughout the resort. The beach is one of the largest on Bloody Bay and gives you lots of space to stretch out and not feel cramped. The pool was never crowded and the pool bar was busy, but you never felt you waited for a drink. The resort was running close to capacity but you never felt crowded. There were plenty of lounge chairs, pool and ocean side no matter what time of day.

Food:
The restaurants were good. The breakfast buffet was excellent. A large selection of usual breakfast items including made to order omelets, sweet rolls, bacon, and traditional Jamaican breakfast items. Along the bar you could make your own bloody Mary’s, Mimosa’s , fresh squeezed orange juice and there made to order fresh fruit smoothies.

Lunch, was a choice of the grill or buffet. The buffet had the usual hot food items and well as a good salad selection and made to order sandwiches. Every day they had at least one grilled fish and always fresh grilled vegetables. The grill was in the beach bar and had selections of grilled red snapper, hamburgers, chicken Caesar salad, great onion rings, and calamari that were batter fried. We eat the rings and calamari almost every day. The grill isn’t fast food – remember you’re in Jamaica… Get a Red Stripe while you’re waiting and relax.

Dinner also was good; you had four choices for this meal. The Otaheite restaurant, which is business casual dress and requires reservations. The service and presentation was excellent; the food good. Be prepared to be pampered. The Lychee is an Asian themed restaurant which is excellent. The food here is prepared in an open kitchen and has great visual and taste appeal. There were buffets for dinner a few nights at the Cassava restaurant. We had three nights were the buffet was set up near the main pool and they had a lot of specialty items, including whole roast pig, curried goat, and every meal every restaurant had fish, fish and more fish. Prepared differently and different selections daily.

The only negative thing I would have to say about the food is the deserts were too sweet or too starchy. (Not a bad thing really if you’re praying not to gain 15 lbs while there…)
While at the resort you have you choice of the many activities that they have to offer. These include the usual beach or pool volleyball, snorkeling, scuba, and others that are mentioned on the CN web site. One thing that is a must is the Catamaran “booze cruise” to the cliffs for swimming and caving. This is about a 2 ½ hour trip where they serve rum punch made with the world famous “over proof” rum. Be careful with this. They also serve Red Stripe. We had a great time. This cruise is included as part of the resort activities, but take some cash to tip the staff and cliff divers.
The nightly activities were OK, what we saw was local talent. It was good to see and hear the local musicians and maybe see or hear what might be the next Bob Marley emerging. One of the performers was the fire eater and limbo dancer. Make sure you bring your camera to this one. After the nightly music activity, the piano bar opened, and depending on the night, the music was retro, disco, and/or sing-along. It was a fun way to close out the evening.
Several reviews on Trip Advisor said the resort needed a facelift. While leaning in to the waterfall at the pool and sipping a “beverage” I looked around with a critical eye. The buildings and property aren’t opulent, glitzy or overstated. They are painted in what could look like a green patina/marble. The furniture is dark rattan and simple. It’s comfortable and doesn’t scream at you. The buildings blend beautifully with the natural green setting and it’s very calming. I don’t think I would change a thing. The spa is fabulous and up to date. The rooms are very comfortable with nice size bathrooms, very comfortable beds and very large patios or balconies. The beaches are hand raked every day. I think the only updating necessary – at this point – the pool could use new tiling and new decking. But it’s the tropics and gets a lot of wear and tear.
When leaving – consider the hopper from Negril to Montgego Bay. $105 pp one way, about 20 minutes and a FABULOUS view of that section of the island. We were able to spend an extra 2 hours on the beach our last day. Well worth the money.
Would we go back again –in a heartbeat.

6  Thank Sooze1129
Reviewed 17 May 2009

My wife and I just returned from a week long trip to Couples Negril. The airport at Montego Bay took an hour to get through immigration and customs, there was a huge line of people. Trying to locate your checked luggage can be a pain and it was worth paying a baggage handler $1 to find my wife's black rolling suitcase. The bags are lined up in rows at the baggage claim before going through customs.

From customs you go to the resort's waiting area where they take your checked luggage and check you in and have you wait for a shuttle to the resort. I tipped the Couples luggage attendant $2 which he gladly accepted and said that my bags were safe with him and he wouldn't take his eyes off of them. I walked in to the waiting area and he strolled off... not like anyone is gonna want to make off with my collection of armpit juice stained t-shirts and ripped underwear.

The wait at the airport was less than 30 minutes before the shuttle arrived. They do have a beer and soft drink bar at the waiting area and bathrooms. A SkyCap came and got our bags and brought them to the shuttle, I tipped $1 per bag and he was pleased.

The air conditioned shuttle took us and 5 other couples to the resort. The driver, Stuart, was friendly and told us what we were looking at while we were driving. They do drive on the left side of the road in Jamaica. He did say if we became nervous during the trip to just close our eyes. There is a lot passing on the road. He didn't speed or make any erratic moves so the ride was fine. The road once you get out of Montego Bay is a two lane. You do stop after an hour and stop, to get a drink and go to the bathroom. The beer and soda are both $2. Try a Coca-Cola in a glass bottle, the soda there is made with sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, it is sweeter and you will notice a difference. (This is the Coke old people are talking about when they say how much better Coke tasted when they were 75 years younger... not part of the trip, but a factoid for your consideration). We got to the resort in one piece and I tipepd the driver $10 for not killing us.

Check in at the hotel went quickly, fill out the usual paperwork and take an imprint of your credit card. The lobby is open air, and we were given champagne and cold wet towels while we waited. The staff took us on a quick tour of the resort and took us to our room. The luggage arrived a few minutes after we got into the room. I gave a $2 tip to the bellhop which he gladly accepted.

The room is a standard hotel room. Now after reading reviews about how nasty the rooms are just let me say who I am... the only thing I ask of a hotel room is that nothing crawls on me when I sleep. My standard level of comfort is a Hampton Inn. The room has concrete walls with tile floors. The bathroom has louvered windows without screens, do not leave them open unless you want people looking in as you shower or sit on the pot. Air the bathroom out with them after you shower if you feel the need, but leaving them shut help keeps the air conditioning in... who wants to take a crap if you're all hot and sweaty anyway? There are no outlets in the bathroom, so any curling iron work will have to be done in the room, but there are mirrors in the room so this isn't an issue. The bathroom does have a standard hotel hair dryer. The bed is a king size and my wife and I both slept great in it. The rooms have flat panel TVs with American programming. The air conditioner kept the room around 66°, there is also a ceiling fan. The room has a mini-bar that you can stock as you wish daily. They will give you 750ml of rum, gin, whiskey and vodka. Pepsi, water and juices are also available if you need a late night drink in the room. We had a garden room, that faced the garden. The ocean rooms looked at the same garden but if you turned your head you could see the ocean. The dresser in the room was shelving with wicker baskets, probably a good idea to let air circulate around your clothes, it can be humid there. The maids cleaned the room to my standards every day, mop up the beach sand that got in the room, changed out the towels. Turned down the bed in the evening and swapped out the room towels that were used. You will probably end up taking a few showers a day unless you're a dirtbag, I personally am but still grabbed 2 or 3 showers a day.

The food was great, we didn't have a bad meal. We ate at the Terrace for breakfasts and lunches. It is a buffett at these times. They have regular american fare and local offerings. They have really good white bread there. The breakfast potatoes are very good, along with bacon and eggs. If the scrambled eggs having been sitting a while (i like mine undercooked), try the omlette station. The fresh fruit is great. Don't be surprised if you see a fruit fly or 2. After you get your plate of food, wait for someone to seat you. My wife enjoyed the blue mountain coffee, I'm not a coffee guy so I did not partake, (I don't like having to crap mid meal... but if I did happen to, the bathroom at the Terrace is airconditioned, which as I mentioned before is a good thing).

The dinner meals were good at any of the 4 places to eat so you really can't go wrong. Depending on where you go you could get an Italian meal, steak, fish, Asian, Jamaican. Just look over the menu before you decide. And if nothing appeals to you, wait until 10:30 and you can grab a plate of nachos, or a burger or some pizza.

This resort is not huge, so nothing is crowded. We never had a problem finding a chair at a bar, the pool or the beach.

The pool is 4 1/2 feet deep, so don't be surprised. It also closes at 7pm, along with the hot tubs. But there is a hot tub over by the watersports hut. No one ever bothered us at night while using it. It would be nice if the pool and swim up bar remained open at night but I'd rather not hear a bunch of drunks yelling at the pool in the middle of the night while I'm trying to sleep.

The ocean is also about 4 1/2 feet deep when you hit the end of the swimming area at the beach. All the resorts are tied off at the same point away from shore. The water is very clear with little wave or tide action, it is very calm. The water is warm, cooler than a bathtub, but warmer than the pool. There are plenty of chairs on the beach and a few hammocks and there are 2 huts near the nude beach that each have 2 chairs, try to get a hut so you can stay on the beach during one of the daily, short rain storms.

The beach is very nice, but you have to stay in your resort's area, or so it seems, there is security on the beach, they don't stop people selling stuff though. There's a guy selling shirts, a guy selling bandanas, a guy selling Marlboros out of a garbage bag, and singers. The other guests at the resort were quiet and the time at the beach was relaxing. There were two couples one day that were loud and obnoxious, and didn't hide their drug use, look if you want to smoke dope, I don't, but if you want to, be discrete about it, don't yell "YO! TELL MY WIFE TO BRING THE BLUNT! YELL TO HER, SHE CAN'T HEAR ME, BRING THE BLUNT!"

Once you get in the water guys on jet skis will ask you if you want to rent it. The resort does not offer jet skis. There's also a guy in a Somolian pirate skiff that comes up and asks if you want to go fishing with him, and he'll take you to his private island for a cookout and some weed smoking. A tempting offer.

If you're not interested they leave you alone, until the next day you're at the beach.

The bars were quick to take my order and hand me my drink. But I only drank Red Stripe, or rum and Coke. If you get something with 87 ingredients it may take a few minutes. Keep it simple if you're a complainer.

We went snorkling and it was fine. I forgot that I don't like water where I can't touch the bottom, of course I remembered as soon as I hit the water and proceeded to freak out. My own fears were put aside when I saw that my wife was swimming out to sea and was nowhere near where everyone else was. The time in the water was 30 minutes and that was a lot of time... to have a panic attack. There were some cool fish to see, I saw them when my wife got the underwater camera developed today at Walmart.

The sunset was amazing. There were two nights that the sky was clear at sunset. The other nights there were clouds on the horizon.

You can get a coconut from the trees on the property depending on who you talk to. The groundskeeper I made friends with climbed a treet and snagged one for me and cut it open. Take it to the bar and have them pour some run in it. The groundskeeper didn't want a tip, but I dropped $2 in the garbage can in front of us, thanked him again and walked off.

There are trips into town for shopping. The one where you drive into town was a letdown. They take you to a outlet style mall run by Indians, not that there's anything wrong with that, but I expected to deal with locals. T shirts are cheap they have the 7 shirts for $20 deal, the sizes do run a size small I found out. The coffee is half the price of the resort gift shop, same with liquor. I got to ride in the front seat of the taxi van on the way back to the resort, that was an experience, I enjoyed it.

They also have a walk to the local craft market, where you get to deal with the locals. You get hounded by everyone. Sometimes it's worth buying something so you can leave. Which explains how I ended up with a piece of wooden wall art, now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with a carved Rasta man smoking a joint. Then you have the guy who keeps everything in his pockets, see he doesn't have to pay to rent a booth by keeping his wares in his pants, he passes these saving onto you. Very enterprising.

We made friends with another couple and had a great time hanging out with them going to eat, the beach, the bar and the pool. We attended their beach wedding also which was very nice.

The weather was great, not overly hot and the humidty was less than I expected. There was always a breeze. It rained daily for a short time, then the sun came back out. Wear sunscreen, I went out for a short time without it and my white skin got burned quickly and that was a pain. Expect to hear someone say that the rain is liquid sushine, the staff member who said this was seen running through the rain holding a patio table umbrella when the 'liquid sunshine' turned into a torrential downpour.

We had a spa credit and got a couples massage in the tree house. It was very relaxing.

The night life is good, gives you something to watch in between drinks. The real nightlife is just hanging out at the bar and talking. The bands are decent. The steel drum band is awesome.

I would love to go back, we had a great time. I've never been to a Mexican resort, but it seems like those who have end up hating this place. So think of that before you make a reservation. By my standards this place was great. My wife has much higher standards than me and she loved it.

The ride back to the airport was at 7am and the ride took an hour. The driver did get on it, passing people and such. No big excitement other than a few goats in the road.

One final note, the toilet paper they use may not be up to your standards, so bring a couple of rolls with you. My wife thought it fell apart too easy. So if you need Aurora White Triple Quilted 5 layer, the institutional grade TP may not do the trick.

12  Thank Morty1976
Reviewed 16 May 2009

My new husband and I have traveled all over the world, but this was our first all-inclusive. Having included activities, calm clear water, top shelf drinks, adults only and quality a la carte (vs all buffet) were some of our key compenents when choosing a resort. Couples Negril was a perfect choice for us. We loved that we did not have to worry about anything, but enjoying ourselves.

The staff was ver accommodating and friendly! The beverages were so tasty and very abundant. We enjoyed all the activities from the catamaran cruise, glass bottom boats, snorkel, hobie cat, kayaks, scuba, etc. The room was clean and adequate. W had a standard room and it was great. the bed was a bit too firm for my taste, but I asked for an extra duvet and put it on the mattress. I slept comfortably every night afterwards.

We loved that it was an adults only resort and felt very comfortable and safe in the surroundings. The beach was stunning. It was like a swimming pool. Very calm and clear. GORGEOUS.

We loved the setting so much that we had a vow ceremony on the beach; just one week after our big wedding back home. It was really nice and very romantic.

We also took advantage of the spa. We had a couples massage and many other treatments. The staff is very good and the massages where fantastic!

oh, and the food! YUMMY! I think we gained 5 punds just from eating 3 huge meals a day. THe omlettes in the morning are delicious. I also like the meat pies from the grill. and we loved Lychee. We ate there three times.

We loved everything about the resort and would highly recommend it, especially as a honeymoon destination.

3  Thank mintve13
Reviewed 16 May 2009

Hotel is overall very good hotel bedrooms are excellent 5* but unfortunatlly the bathrooms let them down they are of very poor quality i dont even think they would get a 2* grade.Beach is very nice calm sea and warm waters and plenty of beds.Pool is nice but a bit grubby in places could do with a repaint in places.Cocktails what can i say you can get just about anything you want, food is very good in the al a cart resturants and service is excellant we would have liked too have left tips for the excellant service but the room information sheet says there is a strictly no tipping policy and did not see anyone tipping.We only did two trips dunns river which was 3hrs away but well worth it and ricks cafe which was lovely and gets the best sunsets.There is a craft market across the road from the hotel with about a dozen stalls but they all sell the same things and you are practically dragged in every one and hounded till you buy something its not good and we were glad to get back too the hotel.Overall holiday was very good try not too be to dissappointed by the bathrooms and some of the areas that could do with a makeover and enjoy the excellant food,beach and service.The spa is good we got a tree house massage be careful though when you book and double check it is in the tree house because they got our booking wrong and tried too give us seperate massages in rooms and we had too rebook thier mistake though.Games room is good there is pool, chess, draughts,slot machines, large tele and a popcorn machine. there are very pretty ponds in the grounds with lots of fish and a turtle we loved feeding the fish with popcorn and bread beware the birds though they wait for you to put the bread in and swoop in and catch the fish.

3  Thank blacktulip2810
Reviewed 14 May 2009

My husband and I were there from 3/16 - 3/23 and I agree to all the other positive reviews - beautiful place, wonderful food and excellent staff. My husband did NOT want to go to Jamaica so I had to keep my fingers crossed that this place was going to be so wonderful, he'd be able to admit he had incorrect assumptions about it. He wants to go back next year.

We had stayed at Excellence, Mayan Riveria, Mexico last year and the place was luxurious with all its marble floors, staircases, huge pool(s), etc. so it was going to take alot to impress us. I had requested a 2nd or 3rd floor room so that took a little additional time so we went to go check out the place. When we got to the pool, I was like "Is this the only pool?" I couldn't believe how small it was! Come to find out, the resort itself is quite small in comparison to others we'd be to. There was cracked paint here and there and some other little details that looked like they could use repair - oh, boy I thought this is not good.

We get to our room which is back by the tennis courts - and the road. All the honking and exhaust was making me very unhappy as we were led up to the 3rd floor room. The room was nice - not posh, but nice. We sat on the balcony discussing whether or not we'd made a mistake and I thought I would never live down my choice to come here.

By the end of our first full day, we got it. It's not about flash and fancy, it's about relaxing and decompressing. The beach is beautiful and the water crystal clear. The pool never felt crowded and I was in it every day. The food was better than any other AI we'd been to - I was really pleasantly surprised!

We came to appreciate the people and culture and the cracks in the paint and other small imperfections became part of the charm. The sunsets are AMAZING - so serene to sit at the grill bar with a cocktail and watch the sun set... Turns out once we got in our room, we couldn't even hear the cars or smell the exhaust. And an advantage to being at a smaller resort was that we'd see the same people day after day - we made LOTS of friends and hope to see them again - SAME TIME, NEXT YEAR!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jerzzgirl33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#6 of 80 in Negril
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Negril? Share your experiences!