“Exquisite” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Brooklyn, New York
“Exquisite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

This hotel was one of the best times I had in Negril. The beach bar was excellent and what unneeded at that time. Rooms were beautiful especially the private balcony's. I wish the food was more Caribbean as opposed American but aside from that I would definitely recommend and visit this place again.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Norman B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

For us, this was our first time in the Caribbean and it was our honeymoon. We were impressed with the beautiful grounds; the relaxing, comfortable atmosphere; the great variety of food; the good service; and overall comfort of the resort. We enjoyed the boutique nature of the resort, personal feel of the grounds and service. The beach was quiet and beautiful. The few gripes we had were provisional, such as: no wireless in the room and the limited hot water in the shower. If we had had wireless, we would've spent time on that not spent doing more vacation worthy activities.

Room Tip: As per other reviews, we requested a room away from the road for a more quiet stay.
7 Thank Nick H
Thame, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed for a week at this resort in Jun 2012 and really liked it, but were amazed by the number of mossies. We moved to Montego Bay for a week after staying in Negril, and we didn't get bitten at all.
I've read the reviews of the ropey air con and al fresco rooms - but actually this didn't bother me at all. I didn't particularly like the bathroom, it was really dark!
Pool is small-ish but big enough for the resort. Food was plentiful and good value. All the staff were very friendly.
While we stayed, my daughter contracted chicken pox, so we needed to see a Doctor - the receptionists were very helpful, we saw their first aider first, then she phoned through to a doctor in the town and organised transport for us too. Very helpful in what could have been a scary situation!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Anna E
Hempstead, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

When you arrive, the staff is friendly and attentive. I was given a cold hand towel while checking in. The place is situated on mostly forest area so bring bug spray. My biggest complaint was the mosquito bites. WiFi is free only in the lobby. The room has a safe but you must ask for the lock and key at the front desk. The place consists of one pool, 80 cabins, two restaurants, a coffee bar and a swim up bar. The rooms are elevated cabins and they are adorable! The gym is clean and holds plenty of workout equipment. I worked out every morning! There was also a spa and tennis courts. They feed you three times a day and the food was great. However, being in such a forest-like area breeds bugs. Some of the food had bugs on it and you had to brush it away!! The beach is across the street but I never felt more safe. Security escorts you across the street, even halting traffic so that you may cross. There is even securtiy on the beach to ensure panhandlers don't get aggressive! The beach was amazing! No rocks but some fish, even a stingray or two! There are plenty of water sports and the beach is a long stretch shared with many other hotels. You have your own bar on the beach and a grill chef who works from 11am to 6pm. So, you never have to leave the beach and return to the hotel to eat unless you wish to do so. There are many vendors on the beach. One guy had caged lobsters in which you pick a lobster and he would then grill it for you...right on the beach!!!! Nightly entertainment ranged but was suitable for such a small hotel. Again, due to location, we would sit by the pool at night to enjoy the live band or karaoke and we saw crabs, a bat and frogs. You cannot be afraid of wildlife if you plan to stay here! Go to Rick's Cafe after 5pm for the sunset, but I felt the hotel's beach had the best sunset. The staff spoke to you everyday, every minute. I loved it and I would be back. This is not a place for kids. It is quiet and serene and a kid would hate it!

Room Tip: Go to Rick's Cafe for the sunset. Pay the kids to jump off the cliffs.
11 Thank NatashaGR
West Haven, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

We had a small wedding on the beach at Sunset at the Palms on July 7, 2012. We stayed for 5 nights, prior to staying at Blue Harbor in Port Maria, and Tensing Pen in Negril. I have never written a review before but felt compelled to since we had such a wonderful time our whole trip in Jamaica. Our friends, family and my stepson also LOVED Sunset at the Palms resort and some people were already mentioning wanting to make a return trip there.
The hotel wedding planner, Kimika, went above and beyond with everything, was friendly, super organized and attended to all details. We really didn't know what to expect as we hadn't planned out to much prior to meeting with her on site when we arrived. She was able to give us everything we wanted. One of the nice things was that we did the "One Love" package deal and were given all info about add on prices up front so there were no surprise costs and it was very reasonable. We wanted to get married on the beach, although their garden location was beautiful, so that is what we did. The pool area was great for relaxing and having drinks at the pool bar so I don't think anyone minded having to cross the street for the wedding or rest of our stay there to go to the beach. There was a car to drive myself and my mother, maid of honor, across for the wedding.
Most of our party loved the Lotus Leaf Restaurant which is only open 4 days per week, with seatings at 6pm or 8pm, and you have to make reservations that day between 9am-12. We ate dinner there 3 nights but we also all liked the buffet we had at other dinners/lunch. I think the buffet was one of the better buffets I've tried. There wasn't a huge selection but it was wide enough and each item was very tasty. The beach restaurant is fine for the beach, grilled/fried stuff you would typically find at a beach grill in US & some additions. The drinks were good as well and I think we had a lot more of them since they were included. We noticed hotel brochures said tipping isn't necessary but we still did so for large dinner groups, bar & hotel staff as we would in US. I'm sure it's fine not to but if you do you'll get a little extra special treatment and people are appreciative.
There were tours of the hotel gardens (I didn't go myself) in the mornings and those who went said it was informative. The property is very well maintained and beautifully landscaped. The treehouse deluxe rooms we all stayed in were very nice and accomodated 1-2 adults well. The showers were great (each has a bunch of showerheads & good water pressure). Our stepson was able to get a folding bed to stay in his grandparents room for a reasonable daily fee (maybe 70-80 all inclusive per day). In regards to other reviews I didn't find it particularly buggy there (we read online to bring spray- off family was what we used at night prior to dinner & we put a bug coil from Christmas tree shop in each room we stayed in while in Jamaica and didn't have any more problem than we'd have sitting outside in CT at night). Also, tree frogs were louder the night I stayed in my mother's room than my room (506) so may be location, but I thought they were relaxing to fall asleep to. There weren't many children there until we were leaving and the next wedding party came in but my stepson is 9 and loved the place! Most of the staff was calling him by name, brought him over virgin drinks at pool, cut his meat for him at restaurant and we liked that the hotel grounds seemed pretty safe (security at gate, crossing guard at road, lifeguard, security patrolling grounds at night). He also loved the entertainment, as did the adults, (reggae bands most night) and even got up on the stage and sang a song with the band one night. We spent most of our time at the beach and pool with friends and family but a few people jet skied or did free watersports from beach. There will be people on beach offering you watersports (and many other things) in addition to the free ones offered by hotel with deposit- snorkeling, paddleboats, kayaks I think & little 2 man catamarans- but none of them were too pushy. There were also some musicians stopping on the beach daily and playing for tips. It was nice to hear and we didn't mind.
For the day before the wedding we rented a catamaran online from Phillip Paxton at negrilcruises.com (Island Charter Co.). I was a bit nervous about it since hotel excursions person had never heard of them but it was awesome! The boat was called Tortuga & the price of $900 they gave us for 3 hours unlimited drinks (rum drinks, beer, soda) & snorkeling (with equipment) for up to 20 people was well worth it. They were at the hotel beach to pick us up early (and gave a call to my cell) even though it had been stormy and we weren't sure if they'd cancel. The boat was bigger than I thought it would be, nice, clean, the staff was great & we got to snorkel at a huge reef, saw dolphins swimming by us, went snorkeling/swimming in a cave and watched cliff diving at Rick's Cafe before heading back to see the sunset. I would highly recommend them! They also have 2 other boats and scheduled weekly cruises from resorts.

Room Tip: All the deluxe tree house rooms I saw were nice. The layout of the resort makes it so that most roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank TaliaCT
Indian Hills, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon in November 2011 and it was AMAZING!!! The ride from the airport seemed long but only because we had been traveling all day. It was nice to drive through the villages to get to Negril, also it was well worth it. Upon arrival we were greated with warm towels and tropical drinks while we were checking in. After checking in we were brought to our little hut. This private building/room is incredible. It definitly gets you into the island spirit with its charm. The buffet food is buffet food but has a nice selection with a different theme every night. The Lotus, which is the only sit down restaurant they have was so tasty! Every night they are open I would reccomend making a reservation to eat there. The beach is across the street but they have very nice crossing gaurds to assist you and it is honestly not a long walk at all (maybe 2 minutes at most). The beach is part of the seven miles of white sand that Jamaica has along the coast and is the most beautiful, soft, relaxing beach I have ever been to. They have a fun little market between resorts to shop at and a beach bar to get drinks and food. The resort and our travel agent helped set up some excursions throughout the week and would reccomend going on the jeep safari and the tour of Bob Marley's house. The last day we were there I got stung by a jellyfish and bit by a crab and it was still the most incredible vacation I have ever been on!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amanda D
Pomona, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the first half of our honeymoon. I've had my eye on Sunset at the Palms for quite some time and was really looking forward to staying there.

The staff is absolutely amazing--so friendly, willing to help you out and get you whatever you need!!

The rooms are very cool. I would describe them as tree houses. Beware: if you don't like bugs, stay away! It got VERY loud at night with all the bugs and tree frogs, so if you don't like that sort of thing, stay elsewhere. We also got a lizard or two in our room, but they find their own way out and never caused a problem.

Sunset at the Palms is not located on the ocean side and has more of a jungle type atmosphere. You have to walk across the street to get to the beach, but that wasn't an issue.

They have one restaurant and it was only open select days for dinner. The one night we did eat there, we enjoyed it. One night we ventured out to Ivans located in the Catcha Falling Start hotel for dinner and thought that was by far the best meal of the entire trip!!

The buffet style food was good (considering it was an all-inclusive). The food at the grill on the beach was great. We had lunch there everyday.

There aren't any activities included though, so that was kind of a bummer. We still had a great time.

6 Thank NikkiG80
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Couples Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,929 reviews

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!