“A nice smaller-sized resort, not perfect but quite lovely, quiet, and relaxing.”

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #7 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Washington, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I stayed at Sunset at the Palms for 6 nights in June 2012 as part of a wedding party. It was a great setting for a wedding, and the perfect place for friends and family to relax together and have a fun vacation in a tropical setting. However, if you are looking for nightlife and wanting to meet new people, you might want to stay somewhere else. I can only compare this Jamaica all inclusive to a previous trip to the Iberostar Rose Hall in Montego Bay, and they were very different experiences! This is a relatively small resort, so it did not have the kind of selection of food that was available at the larger resort...not as many fresh juices or as much fresh fruit as I might have wanted, but overall, the food quality was pretty good. In some ways, it was a good thing the spread was more limited, because many of us felt that we had a lot of healthy options and did not completely go overboard (on food, that is). The beach grill had some great options, and occasionally there was something fantastic (the coconut strudel kind of rocked my world!). The chef and kitchen staff especially are very nice, and let me tell you, the head chef really knows how to cook poultry!!!! I did not have a piece of chicken or turkey the whole week that was anything but juicy and perfect.

This is not a beach-front resort, but there is a private beach across the street from the resort, where the beach grill and beach bar are located. Staff by the beach to help you with beach chairs and security, but no wait staff - so unlike the big resorts, you have to actually get up to get your drinks!!! No worries, you could probably use the exercise. The beach "closes" at 7 pm....however the Pool Bar is open until 1 am. This is in direct contrast to the Iberostar, where the pool closed by 7 pm (including pool bar) and the beach was open to guests all night. While I missed being able to go to the beach at night, it was pretty great to be able to party in the pool with friends all night, and they didn't even kick us out of the pool after 1 am when the bar closed! If one wanted to go to the beach at night, it was possible, but not on hotel property.

Overall, this was a great place to stay, and I'd recommend it for families (even with young children), couples and groups of friends who want privacy and/or low-key good times, and people planning weddings and family reunions. One note about weddings: Bargain for EVERYTHING, because it is all negotiable. The one thing that pissed me off was that they charged us for replacement wrist bands after the wedding party cut the bands for the ceremony and wedding photos...which was really annoying, considering that the whole purpose of the trip was for the wedding, and the bride didn't want her wedding party to have tacky resort wrist bands on! They didn't need to nickel and dime us on that one, but they did. Otherwise, the staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newer rooms, if possible (on the right side of the resort, in the 500, 600, and 7...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank JeansFriday

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2012

me and my husband just got back from one week at Sunset at the Palms, Negril. this resort is SO QUIET, SO PEACEFUL, SO LAID BACK, SO PRIVATE. if you are looking for a place to BE ALONE and be in NATURE this is the place. it is NOT a big concrete resort with a huge hotel. it is surrounded by Jamaican jungle and plants. the little balconies on the treehouses are so private and you can basically walk out on the balcony naked and do whatever you want.

the rooms- small, intimate, private, nature-cabin like. you can hear all the sounds at night, all the bugs and frogs and crickets. very loud nature sounds, i liked it a lot. if the sounds keep you up at night you obviously are a very very light sleeper because we had NO problem, it was GREAT. awesome bathroom.

the resort- SOOOO much nature and plants and crabs and lizards. you can walk the paths of this resort forever and just get lost in all the paths and trees and cabins. you can see lots of crabs and lizards.

the pool- THIS POOL IS SMALL BUT AMAZING!!!!! most of the time we were the ONLY COUPLE IN THE POOL. we went in September when its super slow, and we seriously had the pool to ourselves the entire time.

the beach- it is a VERY short walk to the beach, BUT it is kinda pain if you realize you need something from your room and have to walk all the way across the road again to the resort. there is NO PALM TREES ON THE BEACH. lots of palms in the resort and around the pool but none on the beach. if you like to eat and drink this is the beach for you, lots of good GOOD food and drink right on the beach. AMAZING WATER/BEACH/OCEAN/SWIMMING. warm warm clear clear water. the problem with the beach is that the vendors WONT leave you alone. if you take a long walk on the beach, they just HARASSE you so much. 'come buy my stuff, come here, come buy this, hey you, come look at my shop" they never stop. always asking for you to come to their shop.

the food - BEST FOOD EVER. SO GOOD. buffet was amazing, beach grill is amazing, restaurant was amazing. loved the food so much. EXCEPT, if you want food after 10pm you're out of luck. supper buffet closes at 10 and no food after that

BUGS/BITES/ITCHY- we loved this resort and how quiet and private and jungley it was, but...we are both covered in itchy red spots everywhere!!!!! its been 2 days since we left and still itchy spots everywhere. we assume they are bug bites, but hoping its not something else? anyways, bring lots and lots of bug spray!!!!

HAVE FUN, CHEERS

Room Tip: we stayed in room 618 and thought it was the best room in the resort.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mrsdiggity
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We went with a group of 17 people. Not one of us disliked anything. This place is personal. You get to know the staff. The beach is like a private getaway. If you're not a fan of the big resorts you will love this place. The rooms were awesome, the buffets were delicious, the staff very accommodating, and the beach food and drinks were top notch. I love Jamaica and so far this was the best vacation there. If you want to see the island make sure you book John Wayne at the front of the hotel. He will make your excursions extraordinary. Go here and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room ask for a different one. They are very accommodating.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Hammerhead_11
Pembroke Pines, Florida, USA
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My wife and I just ended a fantastic vacation at Sunset of the Palms on Negril from the time we arrived until our departure, we were treated to a most enjoyable time from the archetectual design of the hotel to the staff who made us feel completey home. This has been our best
vacation to Jamaica so far and would not choose any place else for our return trip. Special thanks to Managers Sharon and Vinnette, Chief Ruddy, Tanya, servers Venroy, Rory,Clive, Shannon and everyone on staff; you guys were fantastic. Will be back

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RonVen
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 12 September 2012

My best friend booked a girl’s getaway for us back in April 2012 at SATP, and I have been reading the reviews ever since. She and I just returned from our holiday, (Sept 2012) and from the moment we arrived until the moment we left, we were catered to like royalty. Everything was lovely.

The guests were a diverse group, and we enjoyed chatting with them. We met people from France, Pakistan, Sweden, Canada, Germany, Scotland, and the United States.

I loved that the resort is separate from the beach. The resort is nestled in trees and lush vegetation, filled with beautiful flowers and Bali type architecture. It is open air and just a lovely way to relax. When you want to go to the beach, you simply walk out to the road, and there is a security officer in uniform in a little hut. He will brandish his stop sign and halt all traffic so that you can cross the road safely. The walk is literally 2 minutes. We both loved that it was separate, because we could enjoy either bright sun on the beach, or the pool area shaded by nature. Gorgeous.

We saw several lizards and sand crabs, but they were beautiful not bothersome. And they were never in our room. We loved listening to the tree frogs at night. This is a wonderful opportunity to stay in a beautiful, clean, pest-controlled setting, and still have a true tropical experience. We also loved the chaise lounge on the balcony.

There is a building on the beach that is a very nice bar, with a little snack-bar type area inside. Opal makes THE BEST grilled red snapper I have ever eaten in my life. Her jerk chicken is also amazing. Even the french fries were the best I've ever eaten, perhaps it was my vacation head, I don't know.

My favorite thing about this resort is the staff. Each staff member is unique in their own way, and as each one passes by they say hello and ask how you are doing. My favorites…. Melissia, Shemoy, Tian, Omar, Von, Opal and Klevin. I miss them all so much, they were just so kind to us.

Once you get to the beach, Omar will greet you. He is the most charming young man who will set up your beach chairs for you and help you with anything you need. He is also beach security, so if peddlers are bothering you he will regulate.

If you like coffee, you will love the Blue Mountain coffee bar. Shemoy is adorable and attentive! We loved seeing him in the mornings with his big friendly smile.

The beach is beautiful. Our chairs were set up near and/or under a small tree, it was perfect! Just bring plenty of sunscreen. I tan naturally, and I still went through nearly 3 cans of spray sunscreen during our short stay. Melissia and Tian are great bartenders. Tian makes a killer rum punch! And our last day I had so many of Melissia’s Rum Runners that I danced in the pool. (and I don’t dance!)

Also, bring several small bills to tip for good service. Yes, this resort is all-inclusive, but tips are much appreciated!

As far as peddlers on the beach, you will be approached by someone several times an hour. Especially if you are female and not in the presence of your husband. And I have never been hit on so much in my life! Just tell them you are not interested, and they will leave you alone.

We stayed in room 617, which was very quiet and comfortable. The tree frogs sang every night, but with the air conditioner running, it didn’t bother us at all. Speaking of the A/C, the 3rd day we noticed it wasn’t cooling, so we called the desk. Someone was there to replace the freon within 10 minutes.

Bar drinks are served in hard plastic 10 ounce cups. Bring your own insulated cup, and the bartenders are happy to fill it for you. You will be happy you brought a cup with a lid, as sand tends to make it’s way into drinks pretty fast.

We were in a different mind frame than most, as we were not traveling as a couple and just wanted some girl time to escape work and the duties of parenting. But we enjoyed every moment of our stay, and will be returning.

Room Tip: We stayed in 617 which many say is loud due to road noise, but we slept like babies.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank Angie S
Washington
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This hotel is for couples or singles who just want to relax. I'm a party girl and Sunset is lacking entertainment. Me and my friends went for Jamaica's ATI weekend so if it wasn't for that I would of been bored but then again I make fun where ever I'm at. One night they had a piano bar and a band but after that it's really nothing left to do at the resort. It's located at the beginning of the blvd and I felt far away from the real fun. I like to hang with the locals. Cab fare was cheap. To get in town (closer to excitment) I spent $4 in american money and when I used jamaican money its $100. The beach is across the street and occasionally I would hang out at the locals bar which is next to Sunset's beach. I had a little problem with men harrassing me but security quickly took care of that. I loved being greeted with a drink and a lemon scented towel cause it was hot. Although liquor is included I like to bring my own just to switch up the taste. Speaking of taste the jerk chicken at the beach grill was my favorite, dinner was mediocore, and I never could wake up in time for breakfast so I would go straight to the beach bar and grill. Overall my stay was good but I won't be returning here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank DawnDiva984
Toronto
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My wife and returned to Jamaica for our second trip this past August. The last time we went we stayed at Sandals Negril so this time we were looking for something more low key and cost effective.

SATP was a great resort on all accounts. The location was great and the walk to the beach was quick and safe (our only complaint was that you couldn't see the ocean from the rooms or restaurants). All of the staff were friendly and always eager to help. They never pushed for tips and were great at watching out things on the beach (they even stored our floating rafts every evening).

The room was clean and large. Although the bugs were loud at night they didn't bother us. The room definitly was hot during the day as with no windows, the AC doesn't keep the room cool enough. However, at night we slept with the AC off and were fine. A large lizard did enter our room one night and kept my wife up due to the croaking, but this was all part of the experience.

The bugs were a bit of a pain but manageable.

The food was good, but after 8 nights, we were tired of the selection. The house wine was just OK so bring a few of your own bottles if you're a wine drinker.

The entertainment, although talented, was quite repetitive. The main reggae band and steel drum band that play on the Sat/Sun nights were the best.

Rick's cafe is a must! Also the jetskiing was alot of fun.

If you're looking for a resort that is small and not like the massive ocean front properties, I highly recommend this place. We would go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 711 which was one of the farthest rooms from the road and from the front of the re...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank M_V_Toronto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 62 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,228 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!