“Great Staff!”

Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Quebec City, Canada
“Great Staff!”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 7 days for a friends wedding. I hade a great experience and the food was amazing. A real delight with authentic Jamaican food!
The staff was very nice, in particular Esroy and Rory are servers, who always made us laugh and made sure the drinks were always good.
The hotel was a perfect place for a quiet wedding retreat, nothing loud or too busy. We liked going out into Negril and experiencing the culture, night life and the numerous excursions that were available.
I recommend this for anybody looking to relax at the hotel or even for young poeple looking to have a great time out.

I am hoping to come back soon!

Marie
Ya Mon!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Marie G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The best holiday I have EVER had. My husband, daughter and I stayed here for a week in April - and a week was not enough for us. As soon as you arrive you are greeted with a warm welcome, a towel and a cold drink. We were given 'treehouse' no 106, which has two double beds. We also had a fridge (which not all rooms have as far as I can see) and a bathroom door (which was good news as far as my daughter was concerned!) as not all rooms have one. But to be honest I can't say that would bother me too much. We also had a daybed on the balcony and a small table and a couple of chairs. The room also had a large tv, with a good choice of satellite channels. There is also a safe in your room which if you want to use you are given a lock for ($50 to replace if you lose the key). Ok, so there is no glass in the windows so you go to sleep to the sound of nature - lovely. Our room was always kept lovely and clean and the staff were all really friendly and helpful - nothing was too much bother for them. I can't name any specific staff as they are all fantastic, from the ladies at the front desk, to the housekeeping staff, waiters etc etc. The grounds are lush and beautiful, the food is wonderful, the place is spotless. We renewed our wedding vows on the beach whilst staying at the resort which was all arranged by my husband (as a surprise) whilst we were staying there. Nothing was too much bother - our day was made very special, a beautiful day. Our daughter was taken ill whilst staying there and all the staff were very caring and were always asking after her. It amazes me that we were known by name by people we hadn't actually met (don't think we were really that awkward?!!). Although the pool is not large there is plenty of sunloungers, the beach is lovely and although it is across the road there is always a crossing guard on duty to see you safely across the road. Make sure you take plenty of heavy duty bug spray - you really do need it. We also had a plug in repellent in the room and had no problems whilst we were sleeping. Also, don't worry about bringing beach/pool towels, they are supplied. Apart from the people, what I really love about the place is that it is so tranquil. This is not a concrete jungle. All the buildings are wooden structures and in my opinion beautiful. If you want an all inclusive, lively, ice cream and chips on demand type place this is not for you. If you want laid back, chilled out, go for it. I will be back - but not for a week. I will go for longer.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Fruity29
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed at Sunset the first week in April 2013. After travelling to several countries and staying at many resorts, I would have to say that this was, by far, the best experience we have had. Will definitely return again next year.

To begin, the staff make this place a true gem! Everyone was so friendly and eager to help in any way to make your stay the best it can be. We arrived late and they met us off the shuttle with a cold beverage and towel. From that moment on we were given the best service ever experienced. The bartenders, our favorites were Carry, Kurt, and Clive, were funny and personable. The wait staff was quick and would get anything you need. The food was always unbelievably delicious and the chefs never skimped on taste and variety! The girls at the front desk were available from morning to night to help with anything you might need. There was always someone at the gate and the street to help you cross to the beach quickly and safely. The walk to the beach only took a few minutes and was full of beautiful scenery.

I could spend hours talking about Shorty, the gardener, who was responsible for the impeccable grounds on the resort. He was the kindest, sweetest man, and would never hesitate to give us some of his time. We learned a lot from him about the natural vegetation and loved drinking fresh coconut water every day, which is "good for your heart" he told us. Was always a pleasant experience running into him on the paths and learning something new.

In all honesty, I could mention every single person at the resort who, at one time or another, helped to make our stay the best possible experience. But now to get to the resort itself.

Wow! The beach! What a beautiful little slice of heaven! The sand is soft, silky, and white. There was never any trouble getting a lounger in your favourite spot and, the beach guys would always rush to help you get set up. The water was crystal clear, calm, and warm and we spent hours floating around. The beach grill served up some amazing grub for lunch if you got hungry, and the bar was stocked with all your favourite beverages to keep you cool. We would often walk down and browse through the vendors stalls and tried to buy a bit from everyone. The people were very friendly and, of course motivated to sell their goods, but not pushy about it in any way. We bought some adorable hand made rasta beanie hats for the kids from an elderly woman who crocheted them right on the beach. Nice to talk to the people and they were very respectful. We never tried out any water sports, were just too content and lazy, but their is tons to do if that is your thing.

The pool was generally pretty quiet during the day and was always perfectly clean and very inviting. So if you wanted to cool off back at the resort, this was the perfect place to go. We drank dirty bananas at swim up bar every day!

Also went for a couples massage one afternoon. I think the ladies have magic fingers! Wow! My hubby and I both drifted off a bit during the massage. Perfect way to relax even more!

I'm sure I've missed mentioning a million other wonderful things, like the BBQ on the beach on Friday night with a big bonfire, but my message is that this place is truly wonderful. Anyone who complains about too much is obviously high strung and not wanting to enjoy the beauty and peacefulness that this resort provides. If you want to get away from your hectic life and feel pampered in paradise, then this is the place for you!!! Can't wait to come back again next year!!! Thanks to ALL staff at the Sunset for our amazing experience!!! You made some cold Canadians very, very happy!!!

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Meholo
Welland, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2013

My husband and I just returned from SATP staying for 1wk April4-11 2013, again we can't say enough about this resort. Greeted with a rum punch drink and cold towel. We were in room 301, best room ever. There was a hammock and daybed and the best view of the mountains. We are early risers, so the view watching the sun come up was beautiful. The colours are amazing.The food we found was better this time around. A little more to choose from . We did not go to the a la carte this time. We couldn't bare to put dress up(my hubby did not want to put long pants on). Staff is amazing. Coffee is awesome. Go and have an espresso or capp, they are sooooo good. Everyone working the beach takes care of you. Opal is a gem. Her laugh can be heard for miles. Food at the beach grill is great. Bloody Bay is beautiful, calm and warm. Lots of activities Locals alittle annoying, just say no-thankyou, the will leave you alone. We have made friends with many locals on the beach. It was nice to see them again. I really got eaten by bugs this time. I did spray with repellant, didn't seem to help me. We did get a fridge. Ask the front desk when you arrive for one, they will set it up in your room. Staff makes this resort. Please tip them. We will go back to SATP next spring. This year we experienced alot of afternoon rain that would not let up until the evening. That was ok , Jamaica needs the rain. What broke my heart was to see all the plastic water bottles washed up on the shores on our ride in and out of JA. Not to mention the garbage. The JA government should have better ways to keep the island clean. See everyone next spring.

Room Tip: bring bug spray, snacks for room, juice or water for room
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank eno802
Truro, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Beautiful grounds, excellent food, beds were comfy, rooms were clean...only downfall is the beach is across the road and only open after 7am. Beach facilities were nice, entertainment was fun and over by 10:30 every night which was great for us as we were tired after a full day at the beach. Lots of water activities available...all in all a great time and would tell our friends to go in a heartbeat. Hi to Craig and Shannon in the restaurant! Food and service was A-1 and always a fun time! Excellent cappuccinos! Sorry to have had to come home so soon....

Room Tip: Little louder at the front of hotel...we were in the rear near the fitness centre which by the way w...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ceilidh-Lou
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

We've just spent the last 11 days at sunset at the palms. The staff, hotel, food, and location are all amazing.

If you like water sports this is the place for you. The beach is amazing, there is no shortage of hobie cat sail boats, kayaks, and jet skis. There is live music on the beach but if you let them know your not interested they will carry on. The food at the beach is amazing!

The hotel rooms are really neat, sure there is road noise but its not bad and the birds and tree frogs do a great job helping with the street noise. We stayed in the 100's and had no issues with the noise.

The food at the resort is also spectacular, the theme nights are great and the staff do a fantastic job of ensuring you are comfortable.

Definitely a place I'd return to.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank felllowtraveller
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My girlfriend was only willing to give it 3 1/2 dots.

Lovely place. Nice and quiet. Bungalow-style rooms. I thought the food was very good; particularly the fresh fruit. Don't miss the little 'fig' bananas. My girlfriend did not like the food and she couldn't get her morning coca-cola. The service while dining was generally slow and spotty, but was well compensated for by the gracious hospitality of the staff. I have heard lots of people point out the surrounding poverty of the area, but all of the local people seemed very happy and welcoming.

What was really cool about the resort was that it was right in the middle of the action. There were lots of activities available right at the beach in front of the resort. Jet skis, parasailing, fishing, diving, snorkeling... It was all right there. We did the 2-hour snorkeling tour and it was pretty cool and only $30. That said, the beach was very busy and noisy during the late morning and afternoon, but was pretty quiet outside of that. There were lots of nice shade trees on the beach as well, and plenty of lounge chairs so you don't have to go down there at daybreak and reserve one. The bar and grill on the beach were great.

There were lots of local people on the beach peddling and playing music and singing which was a minor annoyance, but they weren't at all aggressive, and mostly I was happy to contribute a few bucks here and there to the local economy.

We did a day trip to YS Falls and Black River to see the crocs. I thought it was well worth it for $120 apiece. It was a long, bumpy ride, but it was really cool to see the Jamaican countryside and to get an idea of how people live there. We also went to Rick's Cafe and I jumped off the cliff (not the smartest thing I've ever done). That was worth the experience.

Some tips:

-Rooms were clean and comfortable

-The pool was VERY small

-This is a very small resort

-You have to cross a very busy road to get to the beach, which was a big deal to me because I've been run over by a car.

-You'll need bug repellent on the beach in the morning and evening

-Get yourself a thermal 'go' cup if you want a decent drink at the bar

-I thought the workout facilities were very nice, not Gold's Gym, but more than adequate

-Bring your own mask, snorkel and fins and you don't have to go far to find some amazing underwater sights. I saw five barracuda right down the beach.

-The water pressure was hit-and-miss (first-world problem, I know)

-Our driver to and from the airport (1 hour + drive) was kind of a maniac and the drivers are very scary. Mind you I drive around DC which is notoriously crazy. I would consider it to be pretty dangerous (this from someone who jumped off a 40-foot cliff), though we didn't see any wrecks (a miracle in my mind)

Room Tip: #103 was a good one, in the middle of the property so not too noisy. I would avoid the ones on the l...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple