“Deeply Disappointing”

Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Victoria, Canada
“Deeply Disappointing”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This resort is nothing like the pictures. The people are friendly but the rooms are dirty. Had to ask for clean towels almost daily and the floor wasn't mopped the entire time we were there (lots of sand!!) Minimal internet access. Food was basic but loved all the fresh fruit. Got traveller's diarrhea from the water and when I came home early to get medical care they initially agreed to refund the remaining days then refused when I got home! Had to pay for bottled water, no fridge in the room and minimal amenities in the rooms. Save yourself the headaches (and diarrhea) and stay somewhere else!

6 Thank zanrn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
Las vegas
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I just got back from a week long vacation at SATP. It was soooo amazing!

We flew into Montego Bay airport and upon arriving we were met by Patrick who I had contacted prior to our vacation to drive us to our resort and take us back to the airport at the end of our trip. He was great! The cost was $120 round trip for 2 people (30 per person each way). He had 2 cold Red Stripes waiting for us when we met him! Would totally recommend using him. Not only was he available for transportation to and from the airport, he was able to accommodate us with rides any time we needed them throughout the trip! His email is esperanza@cwjamaica.com).

When we got to the resort we were met with punch and cold towels just like everyone else and then were brought to room 501 where we were staying for the week. The room was very clean and the shower was awesome with 5 shower heads! The beach was just a short walk across the street where we were met by the crossing guard (usually World Boss... Not his real name just what we called him) who escorted us safely across the street. The beach was soooo nice with the water feeling like bath water! There are tons of vendors trying to get you to do various water sports or sell you a piece of jewelry but just say no thank you and they will leave you alone for the most part (although some are very persistent!) We bought a bunch of souvenirs from the various vendor booths on the beach!

The only activity we did that we regret on the trip was taking the loonnggg 2.5 hour drive to the Dunns River Falls. I thought it was cool except def not worth spending 5 hours in the car going there and coming back! Definitely do not recommend that unless you are staying in Ocho Rios where the falls are located! We also did parasailing which was amazing and did the evening cruise to Ricks Cafe that we booked thru the Scuba Caribe booth right on the beach (ask for Bubbles she is amazing and will help you out with many excursions.) They also take you to the caves and on a short snorkeling trip! Loved it! Definitely do it!

All the staff was extremely friendly throughout our trip!

Special shouts to Leo, Shemoy, Clive, Kemp, Kirk, Opal, World Boss, and Damian!You guys are all like family to us now and can't wait to come back and see all of you again!

Matt & Callie

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mmartelli20
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Wonderful location with very good fresh food. The staff are helpful, amusing and friendly. The beach is across the road and is typically Caribbean . Beach entertainment is great with musicians, cigarette salesmen and many others but is not intrusive. There is absolutely no hassle

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Ray S
Spring Lake, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 19 November 2013

So relaxing and wonderful service, clean beautiful beach! We loved the tree houses and the food was very good. We met some wonderful people and the only thing we missed was room service. The beach is across the street but very private and clean, the service at the beach was great. The waiters and waitresses were so helpful and nice. Do not buy a drink at the airport and make sure you have transportation to and from the airport.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robin J
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We arrived Nov. 9 2013 for our honeymoon and had high hopes for this resort. Upon arrival, we were greeted with cold towels and ice cold punch.

The check-in process left a lot to be desired. I had completed the online check in process ahead of time but ended up having to provide much of the same information upon arrival. We had booked our stay through a timeshare exchange and despite receiving numerous confirmations directly from SATP about our stay, during check in we were asked to provide confirmation for the timeshare exchange, which no one had ever told me I would need to present. Additionally, their accounting system had no record of my payment for our meal plan, which I had made 2 weeks prior to our arrival and was documented on my credit card statements. I finally emailed them a copy of my credit card statement to prove I had paid and the issue was resolved, but it was a frustrating and unnecessary situation to deal with.

The bungalows were pleasant and very private thanks to the BEAUTIFUL and lush landscaping (be sure to get a tour of the property with Shorty, the gardener). Our first day the shower ran out of hot water very quickly and we were told that the hot water tank is shared with another room and that if we both take showers at the same time, there may not be enough hot water. We made sure to stalk our neighbors the rest of the trip to beat them into the shower. Another thing we found odd was that there weren't really windows, just shutters which did not fully block out noise from outside. Fortunately our bungalow was far away from the pool and dining areas, but occasionally someone loud would walk by and disturb us at night.

The pool area and beach were wonderful. Yes, people will try to sell you stuff on the beach but just say no and they will leave you alone.

I thought the food was average at best. This was my first time vacationing at an all-inclusive resort, so I was not sure what to expect. The buffet was pretty hit or miss, but there were at least a couple of things at each meal that were good. Usually when I travel I use it as an excuse to try the best restaurants in the local area, so the food was disappointing for me but would probably be just fine for the typical traveler. We did dine one night at the sit-down restaurant and thought the quality much better than the buffet.

Room Tip: our room in the upper 400s seemed to be ideally situated
2 Thank mce11213
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My husband and I just left Sunset at the Palms yesterday, November 15, 2013... It was amazing from the second you walked in the door. They greeted you at the front with cold towels and a fresh punch drink. You check in and go to the room with the bellman who happily takes your bags to your room and shows you how to turn on the air conditioning and makes sure everything is comfortable for you. The rooms are gorgeous and spacious!

We were accommodated to everything we ever needed or wanted here. The staff was GREAT, honest and they felt like family to us. We were there celebrating our 1 year anniversary and my birthday and on my birthday night, they delivered a handmade cake to our room with Happy Birthday and my name written on it! When we wanted a cab, all we had to do was say we wanted it and within minutes there was one waiting. The resort is gated and fenced so it's very safe, security roams the property at night to make sure things are ok, too. There's a gardener named Shorty who does his famous property walks some mornings for guests. They fog the property often, so bugs aren't much of an issue.

There's a cappuccino bar in the lobby area with great coffee, cappuccino and expresso shots. Near it is a buffet line with multiple choices of great food with a wide window of serving times. There's a small poolside eating area and also two large covered eating areas. The staff makes sure everyone is dressed appropriately for dining for each meal as well. There's a poolside bar that's swim up and walk up on the other side with a dancing area, lounge chairs and a stage where they have bands and karaoke(FUN!!). At night, there's a martini bar that serves up some good martinis and is more of a chill atmosphere. There's also a restaurant you have to make reservations to eat and you make them the morning of and just show up, sit down and relax at a nice meal.

The beach is a VERY short walk across the street with a crossing guard to stop traffic for you. There's a beachside bar and also a beachside grill that serves anything you could order- if they don't have it, they'll get it for you (and that goes for anything else at the resort too). We had fresh lobster (at a small charge) cooked on the grill for us and we ate it beachside at the picnic tables. There's the perfect amount of shade and sand on the beach so anyone can enjoy themselves.

This resort was truly the "no worries" resort that you'd think of when you think of Jamaica. Shout out to our favorite staff members Leonardo, Kemp, Clive and Gladston!

Room Tip: We had our first room in the 100's and it was so quiet and private. We got moved to the 600'...
5 Thank Bethanie D
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We touched down in Montego Bay on Nov 10th to celebrate our 1st year wedding bliss and could NOT wait to just get to our resort at Sunset at the Palms. It was our first time in Jamaica as we try different islands every time we decide to go on a vacation. We were deciding between St. Lucia and Aruba at first but I wasn't too thrilled on going to those two places just yet. I looked online and found this resort and I am so glad I did! When we touched down, it felt a little chaotic as a lot of taxis and shuttles are trying to get your business. Please, Please schedule your transfer before you leave to come to this place. We wish we got our own taxi guy before we touched down but we didn't.

Aside from our chaotic beginning, we were glad to finally Arrive at Sunset at the Palms. Like every guest who mentioned cold cloth and fruit punch upon arrival, we had the same. The check-in took about 10 minutes and someone escorted us to our room for the night. The room that we requested weren't ready that day so they upgraded us to a suite. The suite was big and had two levels. 1 bedroom, 2 bathrooms (1 upstairs and downstairs) and we had a hammock outside. It was cool at first until we noticed that the AC was not working like we thought it would. It was really hot in our bedroom which made our first night not as comfortable as we expected. We still dealt with it as we know that we will have a new room the very next day. The new room we got the next day was amazing. We had a great view and it was located in the 700's. It was ways walk from the front desk but it wasn't a big deal to us. We enjoy the walk as my husband and I live a very active lifestyle. Since we stayed in an ALL inclusive, might as well walk the extra food we ate off. hahaha

Pros:

Service: The people were very friendly and personable. We love our waiter Craig! He is the best! I don't drink much alcohol but I love Mango juice. I always request my mango juice and he is always ready to give it to me. Please make sure you tip even though the resort says not to. $1 goes a long way. If you love the service you're getting, please make sure you give them a little something. I have never seen such a hardworking people in my life. Also, they have a welcome party once a week (?) where they introduce the staff. They always have a smile on their faces ready to make sure that you are having a great time. It was hard for me to compare it to our previous trip to our resort in turks and Caicos but the staff at SATP were more genuine than the staff at the resort from turks. Such a down to earth people! I love them so much! I woke up early couple of times to just walk around the area and take pictures of the beautiful tropical flowers. The gardeners were always there to show me around and let me know the best spots to take pictures at. I do photography on the side and I loved this place.

Cleanliness: The place is very clean. The gardeners are always around every morning making sure that everything is how it should be. The flowers are blooming and nothing is in the way. Every time we get back from the beach, our room is always clean and fresh!

Beach: The beach was calm but it can go without the hacklers. Please see my tip! :P

Room: What a romantic way to celebrate our 1st year wedding anniversary. Our room, aside from our first night, was amazeballs! We had a mosquito net over our bed facing our double doors to the patio.

Cons:

Food: The food was NOT bad. I just wish that they had more Caribbean food selections not just one night a week. I came to jamaica for authentic JAMAICAN food not italian, asian or AMERICAN food. It was just disappointing that I didn't get what I was looking for when it came to Caribbean dishes. I guess I can't blame them. There are plenty of travelers who travel and expect to eat the same thing they eat at home. My suggestion is, serve more Authentic Jamaican food DAILY and leave the american dishes to the Lotus restaurant. If people don't like the jamaican dishes, then they can make reservation at the restaurant or drive their butts to burger king at west end.

Vendors:

Man if the american people have the same passion as the vendors in jamaica, they will make so much money. I just didn't like that some of them tried to sell us some Ganja! Unlike some people visiting jamaica, we didn't come here to smoke trees. My husband works for the gov't and lets leave it at that. However, my husband and I are both young so I can see why they might've thought such foolishness. I thought it was a little entertaining though. However, a simple "NO" will suffice. They do have a very good memory so if you tell them "later" then expect them to come back. If you really don't want to buy anything then make sure you tell them "NO THANKS" then they will go away. Have patience as it's the only way for them to make a living. Please don't be rude

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet at night then you might want to get a room in the 400's. Also, when...
1 Thank Jam M