“Fabulous”

Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Negril
wrexham north wales
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

What can i say that hasnt already had a mention. If you are looking for somewhere to completely relax this is the place and the staff are amazing, so helpful and friendly. If you are looking to stay in a 'clinical box' ie one of the major chains that may have all mod cons , freezing air con , butlers etc this isnt the place for you. However if you want somewhere very unique with character and excellent service then this is it. The resort could have been lifted from anywhere in Thailand it has that tropical feel about it. The food is of very high quaility with the main buffet changing virtually completly every evening but i would recommend you dine in the a la carte also (we did three times over our 10 night stay and it well recommended).
The beach, even though over the road (with a lolly pop assistant on hand to cross you over... a really nice touch) is really relaxing, no fighting over beds or positions as it never gets crowded ... just 2 miles of a magical cove. Fresh lobster is available for about $25 in a few places and is probably the best lobster ive had. Having said that the food served by the hotel is also great especially the red snapper .
Also watch out for Donovan who will entertain you daily with is guitar , reggae and an eclectic mix of other 'favourites' , a real character who really livens up the day.

Room Tip: We were quite close to the road (606) and despite what previous travellers have said about traffic t...
2 Thank ericaandjohn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Where do I begin. Our holiday at Sunset At The Palms in Negril was absolutely outstanding. We stayed from Sunday 24 November to Sunday 1 December 2013, and we were married there on Thursday 28 November 2013.
Negril is beautiful; pure white sand, clear blue waters, countryside, and the Jamaican people are wonderful, they are most friendly people we have ever met.
Sunset At The Palms is simply beautiful. The grounds are stunning and on our first day we took a tour of the grounds with Shorty, the resident gardener, who has a vast knowledge of the various trees and plants.
Our air-conditioned tree top suite was very nice indeed, set over two floors it was spacious with two bathrooms, two balcony's, a king size bedroom, and living area. Also included was a fridge, safe, tv, hairdryer, open wardrobe area, storage space, table and chairs, and even a hammock! Most mornings and late evenings we would sit on the balcony with a drink in hand and listen to the birds and tree frogs, which was calming and soothing. Our room was always clean and tidy and the housekeeping staff were friendly.
The A La Carte restaurant (Lotus Leaf) was very nice although we only used this twice, on our wedding day and the Saturday as it was our last night at Sunset At The Palms. The other days we enjoyed the wide variety of food offered in the buffet restaurant (Palm Grove) and each night there was something different on offer. We had management cocktail night, Asian night, Jamaican night, BBQ night (on Thursday and Saturday we missed Italian night and Caribbean night!). My husband used the gym a couple of times and he was impressed with the modern equipment. In the evenings we would sit by the pool bar and listen to the entertainment, usually a band or singer. In the day time we would relax by the pool, swimming up to the bar for a drink and listening to the Jamaican music. We also headed out to the beach, where the high standards were maintained. During our stay we ventured out twice, to Dolphins Cove and Rick's Cafe, the rest of our time was spent at the resort or on the beach.
As for the staff, they are so friendly, efficient and they are always smiling and singing. I have never met such amazing people my entire life, they always had time for us and they were always so happy, you could tell that they really do enjoy their work.
As for our wedding day, it was perfect. Our wedding planner, Yvette, took care of everything, every last little detail. She was always available if we had any queries or questions. Our wedding took place in the private beach area just across the road opposite the resort. I were treated like a King and Queen that day, the staff did an outstanding job of making our day a memorable one. We personally asked O'Neil if he would be a witness for us as he was the very first person who greeted us when we arrived at Sunset At The Palms . We instantly knew from his infectious smile and enthusiasm that he was the man! The service was beautiful and emotional, Other residents from the resort headed to the beach to watch us get married, and the staff made us feel pampered. Yvette acted as our other witness and ensured that everything was in place. She is a wonderful lady and I would highly recommend her wedding planning services. Our photographer was a fantastic guy named Zavian, who captured every single moment, making us feel like catwalk models! Our day was perfect, simply perfect. We made some real friends there (Yvette, O'Neil, Craig, Paul, Kerry, Gladston, Leo and Ian to name just a few!) and it was heartbreaking to say goodbye on our last day, there were tears!
We knew as we left that we would be back and that's exactly what we plan to do :-) Respect mon!

Room Tip: We had a tree top suite, located at the back of the grounds, which was quieter than the tree houses...
2 Thank treena197666
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This resort is exactly as all of the other excellent reviewers state. The rooms are unique and relaxing. The grounds are well kept and beautiful. The food is excellent. The beach area is not crowded and the food and drinks on the beach can't be beat. I don't even want to consider a different resort on my next visit. If you can't relax here and enjoy yourself, you can't relax anywhere...

1 Thank Wayne L
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I'm lucky enough to have been to the Caribbean several times and this was my second time in Jamaica. IMHO Jamaica is the best island for an all round holiday, that is one with sun, sea, countryside, weather, vibrancy, music and of course the wonderful Jamaican people.
As to Sunset at the Palms, what can I say that hasn't been said on here several times before? It really is OUTSTANDING (sorry to shout but it is worth shouting about!)
Checking in is painless and swift with the front desk staff who were so knowledgeable friendly and helpful all the way through our 14 night stay. Our room had everything we needed and more for a comfortable and luxurious stay. The standard of housekeeping was faultless. All was clean and the housekeeping staff were jolly but unobtrusive. The only 'issue' we had was when the air conditioning broke down, but a handyman was produced by Reception within 5 minutes and whilst he couldn't fix it first time, his colleague who arrived a little later spent ages in darkness under the hut and sorted it out efficiently
The grounds are beautiful and I would recommend taking the free tour with 'Shorty' as early in the holiday as you can as the knowledge which you gain will certainly enhance your appreciation of the beautiful flowers and trees for the remainder of your stay.
I used the gym a fair amount and it is a well equipped and spacious affair with really modern equipment, It is well maintained tidy and clean.
We didn't use the A la Carte restaurant. Not because there was anything wrong with it but simply because we didn't want to miss a single evening at the buffet! The food was unparalleled in my experience and I've been on holiday to lots of places in lots of parts of the world in my long life, nowhere posh admittedly but you really would have to be pretty fussy not to find something you adored here. And it changes every night, each night having a theme. We even experienced an American Thanksgiving meal for the first time (we are English) so that was great. What is great food though without great wine? I'm not a wine expert but this seemed to me great stuff and the cheerful Christine and ever attentive Shemoy made sure that our glasses were always full and that we left the table even happier than we arrived. Thanks to both of you - you turned a great stay into a perfect one.
Which brings me to the staff. Again it's all been said before. Efficient, friendly, on task and always smiling. I had the job of staff motivation for most of my working life but I never achieved anything like this level. The management of Sunset at the Palms should write a book on Staff Motivation - it would be a best seller!
I was a bit worried about the beach knowing that it would be across a busy road, but in reality this is no problem mon. You get shown across the road by a helpful crossing person. Not a problem for us Brits as they drive on the 'proper' side of the road. Residents of less enlightened places though may be confused at first
The staff on the beach maintain the high standards evident in the rest of the resort. The beach is, well, Caribbean - white sand, blue, blue warm sea and is fringed with palms. It doesn't get much better. There is a brilliant snack restaurant (recommend the Red Snapper or Jerk Chicken) and a bar. It is easy to access the free non motorised water sports. There are nearby local beach stalls for souvenirs, clothes and trinkets. Indeed you can get hold of most of the things which Jamaica is famous for here, especially its naturally growing ones ;-)
In summary if you don't enjoy your holiday (vacation) at Sunset at the Palms, go home and have a big think. The problem may just be you!

Room Tip: None of them are any real problem. The road at the front could be an issue for light sleepers who no...
3 Thank rbaynton
Toronto
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We would go back in a heartbeat. We (four couple) stayed at SATP from 22 -30 November 2013 to celebrate our 60th birthdays and we certainly chose an ideal location. The entire staff made us welcome from the moment we arrived and their friendly nature continued whether it was at breakfast, lunch, dinner, the front desk, the bars, the pool or during room service. We felt pampered the entire week and the grounds and rooms made it all the better. The property maintenance personnel were always keeping the site clean and the rooms were clean and ready each day.
The entertainment was limited but many people got up to dance in the evenings. The beach is a short stroll away and the beach bar and food (especially the jerk chicken) made the water experience even better. The bartenders (especially Kemp) made you virtually any drink that you wanted and with charm. The a la carte worked great for a change from the buffet although the buffet always had a good selection of food. Sifford Bryan, the always accommodating and smiling host made our a la carte experience a delight.
The pool was well used and always clean (thanks Ian) and the pool bar made it a great daily destination.
The raised on stilts rooms are very cozy and everything has a Balinese flavour.
Sand flies / noseeums were present so bug repellent would be an asset.
To make things go smoother, make sure you have booked transportation
If you are looking for an eco-style resort with a laid-back feel, this is the place to go in the Negril area.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the resort are more tranquil although noise wasn't a big distraction.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank spektralgraf
Oshawa Ontario
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed at this resort the week of Nov. 16 - 23rd. I have stayed in this area two other times at the RIU Palace ,so I am familiar with the beach / area .I must say this resort impressed me from the moment we arrived. I had joined the facebook page for SATP and had asked if they had canadian whiskey at their bars and they replied by saying they did and what kind was my fave and they would have one waiting for me......well I kinda forgot about that and don't you know as we are signing in at the fron desk a guy shows up with a tray with two rye & cokes ! I was so surprised and asked ( totally forgetting about the facebook exchange ) whats this ? Well its the drinks you inquired about on facebook sir......I was speechless.....a very personal touch....well done SATP :-).

After checking in we are led down the most beautiful lush garden path to our room in the back section as we had requested. led to our absolutely beautiful cabin with a nice deck with a day bed . We were so impressed and had not even put our bags away yet. so off to the beach we go and I want to take my girl on a bit of a tour around and we go past the Riu and Couples on the beach and the action is crazy....poeaple everywhere. Then we come back to our chilled out section of the beach whee they have full AI service there for you untill 6 PM every day and the hustle and bustle of the other beach area's is gone.....paradise.Then before we could even think of where to sit much less grab chairs a guy comes down dragging two sun loungers for us.....I have never seen another resort do this other than Sandals butler service which costs a crap load of money. So just when we think that our beach area is so shilled we go back across the street to the resort ( a short 5 min. walk that won't bother you ) and the ambiance of the tranquility that this resort has just consumes you and you realize that this resort really does offer the best of both worlds.

You can get all the action you want on that amazing beach on the calm clear waters of Bloody Bay....then escape back to the zen that SATP has quite obviously perfected. So the food.....breakfast is the usual AI fare......bacon....scranbled eggs ....omlet bar etc.... The beach grill is awesome and is where we ate all of our mid day meals and snacks. The buffet at night was really good and really gave us no reason to seek more from the sit down restaurant. We heard it was very good....just small portions.

This brings me to the staff. Special mentions have to go to Kemp,Melissa,Claudette at the bar & restaurants and Lynford and Shorty the landscape guys. They represent what has captivated me with my love affair with Jamaica and kept me coming back to the island time & time again. The hospitality that Jamaican's show us while we are there is absolutely in my humble opinion unmatched. Im sure I missed some names and I appologize....but the staff here goes above and beyond to make sure your stay is the best it can be. I will definately return to Sunset at the Palms one day and look forward to it with great anticipation.....good job SATP....thank you for a great vacation....we will certainly return.

P.S. A big shot out to our entertainment on the beach every morning by our man Donnavon. He played for us every morning and was an absolute pleasure to talk to in between his songs......make sure you drop a cpl dollars in his jar and he will play even longer....trip would not have been the same without his sweet sounds every morning....Love and respect Donnavon !!

Room Tip: request the back section ( 400's ) .....very little road noise :-)
3 Thank Pappy67
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at Sunset At The Palms the first two weeks of November and the following is our commentary. Firstly, I strongly suggest that you make taxi arrangements prior to arriving as it is cheaper, faster and much less hassle than dealing with the huge throng of drivers at the airport. We used Pryce Taxi and highly recommend it. Also, pre-check in at SATP on their website before leaving home as it makes check-in a 5 minute affair once you arrive after the 75 minute taxi ride. We requested a 400 block room in advance and we stayed in 403 which was fairly ideal - close to everything but not too close, and at the very rear of the property which avoids road noise. There are other great rooms in the 700's and 200's. Request a site map from the property and choose before arriving - no guarantee but they will try to accommodate you. The rooms themselves are smaller than they appear in the site's photos, but are very clean and pleasant. The only real downside is that they are very dark, day and night. If you want to use the AC during the day you must close all of the louvered shutters (they aren't true windows) which blocks 75% of the light which is low to begin with. And the room lights at night are minimal at best. Also, there is an inherent danger present, that being the construction of the bed. I almost guarantee that you will destroy your shins on the wooden corners of the bed unless you mitigate the problem somehow - we placed the decorative pillows there for the entire stay. The bathroom is quite nice, but dark as well, and the 6 spray shower only functioned at about 2 1/2 sprays. Everyone mentions the tree frog noise at night. It is most definitely loud, but we didn't mind it. Bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

The entire property is a tropical paradise with manicured flowers and tropical plants under a canopy of mature palms with curving walks and bridges - simply beautiful! The only negative to the grounds is that they spray/fog for mosquitoes I believe on a daily basis, which is a good thing, but it leaves a residual DEET aroma that doesn't dissipate.

Ah, the food. I can't believe that so many reviewers complain about the breakfast being the same every day. It basically IS the same (with a few added Jamaican items which change daily), but there have to be 100 different items - what more could you possibly want. The only exception is juice selection which is 2. Dinner buffets are themed each night and we experienced widely varying quality of individual items ranging from excellent to truly awful, but with the huge selection of the buffet it's difficult to not get an enjoyable meal, and if you don't get enough to eat it's your own fault. The dessert table was fabulous, and I say that as not being a dessert eater. The menu at the beach grill is also the same every day, but the choices are decent for beach food. The red snapper is excellent but watch for bones! So is the jerk chicken, but ask for it unchopped or else you get lots of tiny bone shards. We ate at the Lotus Leaf 3 times and found it to be utterly fabulous, both in food quality and service. Some complain that the portions are small (which they probably are for some), but you have to realize that these are 5 course meals. There are only 2 seatings per night so there is absolutely no rushing you out the door. Sifford runs this restaurant and is hugely proud of it. Adhere to his dress code and you will derive the greatest benefit - trust me on this one.

All three bars were super. If you are fond of sweet tropical rum drinks you will be in heaven! If you are a beer drinker bring an insulated beer mug. You can buy big bulky ones at the gift shop for a decent price as well. Although the brand selection was small, most of the liquor is top shelf which is unusual for an all-inclusive. We gravitated to the martini bar each night because you can have a conversation with the other great guests without all of the loud music of the pool bar. There is a piano player some nights which is also pleasant. Only negative: The No Smoking at the beach bar was not enforced.

The walk to the beach is 3 minutes at most, but don't be fooled into thinking a crossing guard stops traffic to let you cross - that would be suicidal. He/she does assure that you cross safely though. Once there the beach is great - very clean and an attendant will get lounges for you and place them wherever you want. Vendors are vendors, no matter where you go you can't get rid of them, it's not the fault of SATP.

WiFi has a small range and is limited to the entry area (with the most uncomfortable bench seats you will ever encounter) and the adjacent lounge. If staring at a smart phone or tablet is all-important to you on vacation, stay at Riu Palace or the like.

As others have said, although the facilities are for the most part fantastic, it is the staff that separates SATP from other resorts. Each and every one is truly friendly and helpful and no doing so for tips. Tipping is not encouraged but a discrete one at the end of your stay to particularly gracious employees is very welcomed. Kemp, Sifford, Shemoy, Cornelious and Clive were all fantastic. Remember, for every employee with guest contact (and possible tips) there are 3 or 4 behind the scenes employees who have no chance at one.

I wish there was an option for half star reviews because I would love to give SATP a 4 and 1/2 rather than a 4. If it weren't for some of the buffet meals/choices I would give it a 5.

Room Tip: Ask for a property map from the hotel before booking
4 Thank Paul L