Returned to Sunset at the Palms (SATP) in early January 2014.
First time to SATP was about same time last year. At the time, my wife and I marveled at the quality of service, facilities, staff, etc.
A year later, we feel that SATP improved on their winning formula.
Upon arriving at the facility at about noon, sense of "Deja vu" set in. "Welcome back, Mon" was how the porter greeted us. Seems he remembered us from last year. Some of the front desk staff also looked familiar. After the customary registration, wet towel and welcome drink, we headed to the beach while our room was being ready. Our request for a room away from the main stage area was met.
On the grounds we noticed a few improvements, namely the addition of hammocks in between cabins. We got some use from them for afternoon siestas or to read.
Perhaps the most impressive addition at SATP was the Chef's Table. Offered about every second day and with reservation, the Chef's Table offered a six or seven course meal in a very intimate outdoor evening setting. This was limited to the first 20 or so guests who made reservations the morning of. What you got was an amazing meal served in front of your eyes . A team made up primarily of the Executive Chef and Sous Chef prepared local favourites in an open kitchen concept. The entertaining Sous Chef acted as master of ceremony. The entire experience lasted a full two hours and was topped with amazing deserts.
As the resort only has about 80-85 cabins, there are never more than 150-160 guests at the most. When we were there, the resort was at 70% capacity early in the week and 90% by week's end. Since guests were spread out between the beach, pool area and out on excursions, you often had the feeling of being at a very exclusive resort.
Food was good. If you needed something that wasn't on the menu, you could often speak to one of the chefs and they would often get it for you.
Only area which was below our standards was with alcohol. They only had one white and one red wine. My wife wasn't thrilled about the red. We also heard others complain about the meager wine selection. Compared to other resorts we've been, the mixed drinks also lacked in selection and quality. Seems that everything was made with rum:-). I personally would have liked to have more than Red Stripe as a beer offering.
This year, the resort also had a Mimosa Hour at about 6 p.m. in the main dining area. That was great. What would have been even better would have been a Mimosa by the Beach at Sunset. Many vacationers went to the beach area for the amazing sunsets. Don't think much would be required by SATP to have a bit of animation at this time.
But the above are minor points.
I've been to many Sandals and Couples resorts. While they are good, they could also be up to one-third more expensive than Sunset at the Palms. In terms of value for money, nothing in my humble opinion matches SATP.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A great spot for romantics or a destination wedding. Nestled amongst tropical gardens and flowering plants at the edge of Negril, this unique all-inclusive gem is best described as intimate, chic and serene. The resort offers 85 "tree-house-style," elegantly appointed guestrooms on ten-acres of lush landscaping, a design praised by Architectural Digest. Melt away with a soothing spa service in our unique treatment garden, cool off at the swim-up bar with a tropical drink or "chill" at the resort's five beachfront acres and two miles of white sand beach, just steps away. When dining is on the menu, you'll enjoy both international and authentic Jamaican cuisine at four restaurants and bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Travelbag, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Sunset at the Palms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset At The Palms Hotel Negril
- Sunset At The Palms Negril
- Sunset Palms Jamaica
- Sunset Palms Negril
- Sunset At The Palms Resort