“exactly what we were looking for!!”

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #7 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Thunder Bay, Canada
“exactly what we were looking for!!”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My boyfriend and I (mid 30's) were looking for a quiet resort that offered a swim up bar & beach & found heaven on earth in the Sunset @ the Palms - we stayed only for a week but would DEFINITELY go back..for longer!! Food was plentiful & assorted & tasty (personal fave was the jerked chicken!). Accomodations were awesome - loved the a/c on those really hot & humid days(made for easy sleeping) but also loved the daybed that we could lounge on whenever! Night life was just right ... between the martini bar and the piano player ... and the pool bar and the karaoke & reggae nights, it was just awesome. A great place to meet up with new friends and spend all afternoon in the hottub!!! Can't say enough good things about the staff ... Loleta and Leonardo and Clive and all the other folks there ... more than hospitable and want nothing more than to make sure "everything is irie mon" ... loved the respect and will definitely return someday!!!

Room Tip: we were in the 600 units and although we heard the road, it was nothing that distracted us from slee...
1 Thank Meegs48000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We travelled to SATP as a group of 12 for our wedding. The pictures and reviews made me feel nervous that it sounded too good to be true..... how wrong was I? This hotel is quite simply amazing and we could not have found a more perfect setting for our beautiful beach wedding.

From the moment we arrived we were looked after like family. Check in was simple despite there being so many of us. We were shown to our rooms. My husband and I had gone for the upgraded Tree Top Suite. Our room was lush. Set over 2 floors, with 2 bathrooms and 2 balconies, one with our own hammock! The bed was huge and so comfortable, pillows were like soft fluffy clouds..... we slept well! When we first got to the room there was no mosquito net, we called reception and within 10 minutes we had someone at our door to fit one!

The food is to die for, I have never had such amazing food at an all inclusive. On our first lunch there we asked if there was any ice cream, we were told no, I said its no holiday without ice cream and sure enough by dinner time, ice cream was provided and was available for the whole 2 weeks! Never been looked after this well before, all the staff genuinely seem to want to look after you and make your holiday everything it can be! The beach was literally 2 minutes across the road, the beach grill was our favourite place to lunch and Opal does such a good job. we took advantage of the included water sports and took out, pedalo's, kayaks and sail boats.

I want to write a bit about our wedding as it really was such a beautiful day. We got married on the beach at 3pm. I spent the whole morning relaxing in the sun and then went off to get my hair done at the spa, the girls there did a great job and my hair was pinned up so beautifully. I literally didn't have to do anything and didn't worry about a thing. Yvette, our wedding coordinator was terrific, she handled everything and it all ran so smoothly. The Photographer Zee, was arranged by the hotel, we only paid for 25 photos, but he was so good and the 346 photos he took were all so wonderful we had to buy them all, he did us a good deal! We also had the ceremony webcasted so that our friends and family could watch live back home. We booked a steel band, who were great and played some classics in a Caribbean style! The cake and champagne were first class and everybody enjoyed them. We felt that our wedding was amazing value for money and managed to have the day we had dreamed of for a fraction of the price that it would have cost in the UK, with the benefit of beautiful sunshine and white sand beach!

The rest of the holiday was incredible, pretty much all the staff knew our names and we got to know them. So many cocktails to try and always a friendly smile and a chat from the staff.

We booked this holiday with Virgin Holidays, we booked some excursions with them before we departed the UK. Kevron our concierge was amazing. He really looked after us and gave us a good deal on the trips, we went on the South Safari (Black River, YS Falls and Appleton's Rum Factory), We also did the catamaran to Rick's and also horse riding. We all had an incredible time and thought they were well worth doing.

We cant recommend this hotel enough. if you are thinking of going, BOOK IT NOW!! Your life will not be complete till you have been here!!

We will be back x x

Room Tip: Have a Tree Top Suite!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mssamuk
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Let me start by saying that we just returned and have decided that we are going back!!!!!

The resort is beautiful.Rooms are surrounded by lush tropical gardens and set up off the ground in a hut style and the grounds are keep immaculate. We wanted to go to a small all adult resort and we found a gem.

The staff are fantastic and are there to make your stay unforgettable.They are always smiling and very polite and friendly. The food is 5 star plus and they always change it up with lots of variety.
There is only one Ala Carte restaurant which we reserved for one night which was very good but the buffet was tremendous with great food,breakfast,lunch and supper. The wait staff are fantastic and pay extra attention to you. You never feel pressured to tip anywhere on the resort as you do in most other places and the staff will give you the same friendly attentive service whether to choose to tip or not.

The beach is across the street but don't let that concern you about the resort as it is just a short walk with their own crossing guard and the beautiful private beach with great beach food ( great Jerk Chicken) and bar included. The crescent beach itself is beautiful with soft white sand and very warm calm water. There are several beach venders with several walking the beach but they never approach you unless requested and are not aloud to unless you walk to them near the water. Most are not pushy and will leave you alone with a polite no thank you.The guy selling cigars and cigarettes was the one that was the most talked about because of his cool look.

The resort has entertainment which was good and typically Reggae most nights which we were hoping for. No Michael Jackson shows or cheesy guest interaction. The bar is at the pool area and is great with a small intimate and close up stage. Even the wait staff got on stage to do a few songs.

The pool is small but a beautiful spot to stop after the beach to meet new friends with plenty of lounge chairs and never to busy and a large swim up with plenty of water stools.Try the Purple Rain drink or Steel Bottom. The 2 drinks to try at least once but be careful if you are expecting minimal amounts of liquor. Most people head to the beach but if you are a pool person you will love the relaxing atmosphere here with some low music playing and tropical surroundings. You just cant lose either way.

Finally i can only say that this resort is beautiful and you will not be disappointed with anything.
everyone has different expectations, but i can truly say that my wife and I were extremely pleased and will return. Congratulations and thank you to the Staff, and the resort for their over the top effort in service to make your stay memorable.

EVERYTING WILL BE IRIE MON

Room Tip: We requested a room in the back area of the resort we had read on several reviews prior to leaving t...
Alberta
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night/6 day vacation to Sunset at the Palms. We have travelled to Jamaica before (different area), Cuba, Domician, and Mexico and this was, by far, the best resort we have ever stayed in, as well as the best vacation we have ever had!!

If you are looking for a resort that offers 5 star food, 5 star rooms, and 5 star service...this is the place for you! I don't believe this resort is classified as a 5 star but I've never had food, service and accomadations that are equal to Sunset at the Palms and we've always stayed at 5 stars in the past. On top of all this, this resort felt like a home away from home. The staff is truley amazing and make you feel like family from the moment you arrive!!

From the front desk staff, to the servers, bartenders, cleaning staff/maids, groundskeepers, cooks/chefs, gate patrol, crossing gaurds, security guards, etc., everyone is kind, friendly and more than willing to help you with anything that will make your stay fantastic! I do believe that singing through your work day (which majority of the staff did), should become a North American norm as it brings energy, happiness and joy to everyone around! My husband and I were only at SATP for a short period of time, yet within a day, many staff knew us by our first names as we knew them by theirs as well!

I HUGE shout out specifically to Kemp and Kerry at the bars and especially to CLIVE who made many of our nights some of our most memorable ones!! Clive was truly a pleasure to get to know, he has a laugh and a smile that would make anyones cares drift away!! Whether you are 70 years old or 30 years old, Clive will make sure you have a great time when he is bartending! I believe in tipping as the staff works extrememly hard at what they do and their wage is not representative of that. Even a little here and there makes a big difference in their lives!

This resort is absolutely unique in it's "botanical garden" type of atmosphere. The sounds at night from all of the frogs, birds and other various insects/animals, are simply unforgettable and absolutley amazing! The "tree house" style rooms are very private and seculded. I rarely saw other people around the room areas because everything is spaciously laid out that you feel like you are on your own little private retreat! The grounds are breathtaking and so well kept. I've had ocean views before and I would take this location anyday over an ocean view!

The food was incredible! My husband and I ate at the buffet the entire time! We were going to try the restaurant and/or the Chef's Table but really didn't feel the need as the buffet had so much variety and was changed up on a daily basis, plus it was excellent food there! We really tried to step outside of our comfort zone and eat mainly Jamaican dishes but the resort always also has an assortment "typical North American" food for anyone who is not up for trying new. The beach bar was also fantastic! I never heard even a hint of a complaint the entire time we were there (in regards to the food). Obviously this resort has a wonderful chef and cook staff who are committed to excellence!

The beach was breathtaking, white sand, clear tourquise and blue water! The walk to the beach is literally 1-2 minutes...much shorter than the large resorts we've stayed in before. I LOVED it that we never had to worry about finding a chair as SATP ALWAYS has more than enough!! I wish every resort could think of that! The sunset is picturesque! You can also walk along the beach to check out little huts along the way with souvineers or just venture down the beach to check out other resorts to realize how lucky you are to be staying at SATP!

I truly believe that any trip is what you make it but the staff at SATP will REALLY help you to make your visit unforgettable. The front desk staff was so helpful and had no issues with us hanging out until 4pm on our last day, even though check out is at 11am. They even gave us a room to shower in, closer to when our airport transfer was arriving so that we could freshen up!

I do recommend Rockey's Tours over the tour companies the resort recommends. They can be found online and gave the most safe and reliable tours we have ever had! They can be booked for airport transfers, private tours or groups tours.

One last note, if you want to party really hard and are hoping for a disco or two with loud music and people drunk out of their minds...this is not the resort for you. Everyone else... you will LOVE IT!

Thank-you SATP for letting us become a part of your family for 6 days! We will, without a doubt, be back again! Thank-you for making everything "no problem"!

Room Tip: We read that the 400's are the best but we were in the 200's and loved it!
4 Thank AlbertaDanno
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We returned from a one week stay at Sunset at the Palms on March 31st with a promise to the staff that we would see them again next year. At the end of our week, we could find very few cons at this resort and lots of pros. Everything was first rate - the room, the food, the beach, the pool, the gardens and the friendly staff, Always, if we ran into staff working anywhere on the resort they took the time to chat and ask if there was anything we needed. They were so accommodating.

Even though we requested a room in the 400 block, we ended up in the 700 block which is very close to the 400 block and heard very little traffic noises. Our room was 705. We were concerned at first because of some reviews we had read, but the sound of the frogs peeping drowned out most other noises, and when they stopped in the early morning hours, the birds started chirping soon after. The sounds of nature never kept us awake...we loved it! Our bar fridge was always stocked with whatever we requested. We just left a note and a $1.00 tip in the fridge and it worked every time.

Even though the food at the buffet and the restaurant was always very good, it did not compare to the excellent meals served at the Chefs Table.

The grounds and gardens are beautiful and we did not miss having an ocean view as the view from our tree house deck was just as beautiful.

The beach is small and no matter where you sit, you are never far from the bar and the grill. There were always chairs available, and there was never any need to stake claim to a cabana at 6:00am as there was lots of shaded areas. Also, there was no need for towel cards. The staff there trust that you will bring the towels back at the end of the day. So much more civilized!! The walk across the road was more of an adventure than a nuisance. We didn't mind the 2 minute walk.

This is a very quaint resort that does not promote wild parties until the wee hours of the morning, so if that's what you are looking for you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing week in the sun, this is definitely the place to go.

The only con we can think of is the bugs. There were little tiny flies around mostly in the early morning and early evenings. Bug spray is a must during those times of the day. Likely its mostly caused by so much foliage around the property, but it wasn't a deal breaker for us.

We hop to go back again soon!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mona C
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Myself along with 13 others went here for my brothers wedding . I was at first a little worried by what I would find but upon my arrival at the Hotel I was in a dream world of greenery, smiling people and a truly wonderful atmosphere . The staff upon arrival are friendly and helpful. They answer any questions you put to them and are very good at putting your mind to rest of any query. The rooms are set in an almost Forrest atmosphere meaning walking to and from your room you very rarely see anyone except for a friendly member of staff who will always say hello and ask about your day .The room itself is spacious with a lovely balcony including day bed and the shower in the bathroom is out of this world . The rooms were clean and I never had any complaint with this. The Air Con is chillingly cool and offers the perfect Oasis to escape from the humid temperatures of the mid day sun ! . The bar facilities are brilliant .The staff very friendly and work very hard to ensure your drink orders are met to their own high standards . The pool area is lovely and clean and the friendly life guards help maintain this and keep the sunbathing area free of any mess. The food here is to die for from the Fresh Eggs cooked to your requirements at breakfast, to the Pasta Station all made as you like it for lunch to the hot food cooked as you wait for dinner I could not fault a thing . We were here for 10 days and not once did I grow tired of the food !!

All in all I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a relaxed holiday in beautiful surroundings of Jamaica , a truly one off experience . A special mention goes to Kemp the barman who kept me topped up with refreshments !!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank t0nyb144
Ontario
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We love Jamaica, but never went to the Negril side. Made an excellent choice on the Sunset at the Palms. A small quaint, unique accommodations. We were hesitant it not being on the beach, but it was perfect, a small walk across the road. Plus it gave you a great "jungle" feel for your cabin accommodations.
Food was hit and miss, but mostly a great selection.lot of space to eat in or out. A few too many martinis at the martini bar. Local entertainment was great. Best part was the tropical feel of the lush gardens around the pool, swim up bar.
I had an outdoor scrub/massage which was amazing
The beach was great, lots of seating, bbq area for lunch and bar. Locals will come along and sing Reggae tunes for you for a small fee. You can walk along the beach for miles.

An ideal location for couples, groups, unique getaway. Isn't adult only but I wouldn't go with my kids. Would definitely and will return!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wheretonext365
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,224 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!