“Can not wait to go back”

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Killeen, Texas
“Can not wait to go back”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband had been deployed for 10 months and we wanted to escape somewhere, anywhere... It didn't really matter where, it was more about the resort and what it had to offer. The more we researched, the more we narrowed down exactly what we wanted... It had to be completely all inclusive, we didn't want to pay for any food, drinks (alcoholic and non), small (under 100 rooms) and, since we were taking a vacation without kids, we wanted adults only. Being relaxing also had to be a priority as that was the entire point of getting out of the US.

Sunset at the Palms was the only one that met every single requirement that we had and within the first 5 minutes of arriving, we knew we would already be back. You are welcomed by very friendly staff who take your bags, give you a cold towel and bring you a drink. After some quick paperwork, they take you to your room, actually talk to you while they take you there and point out where everything is. Every person that we met there were friendly. We didn't pass an employee without them asking how we were or if we needed anything.

Our room was gorgeous with a mountain view. My only complaint about the room is that we were right by the bar so the night before we left, my husband and I had tried to go to bed early but they had a one man band (which, was excellent from what we could hear) and it was loud. However, it only lasted for an hour and we were able to go to sleep. When my husband and I first got in the bed, it was harder than we prefer but we still slept like babies on it.

The only other sound we heard when we were in our room was the sound of nature, birds, bugs, etc, very soothing and exactly what we wanted. We weren't wanting to listen to people be louds, run down hallways, kids screaming. Just silence.

Food was amazing. Most or all of their fruits and vegetables are grown right there on the property, we could see the garden from our room. We did the chefs table our last night there and I while I wasn't a fan of the food served, it was good. (I'm not a salmon or fruit on my salad kind of girl but the other food served was ah-mazing).

We never had to wait for a drink at the bar. There is a little bit of inconsistency with the alcohol. I would get one drink and it taste great, but the next one would have a stronger alcohol taste, but the next one wouldn't be as strong. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something I noticed.

The pool was always dead, same with the hot tub. If anyone was in it, they were all lounging around on the floaties which was perfect for us.

The beach is nice, the water is blue and calm, the waves are small and don't expect to collect seashells on it. We did find a starfish, that was pretty cool.

We got massages at the spa, the staff was friendly but the massage isn't what we were expecting but we had never had a massage before so we have nothing to compare it to.

If you go on the free excursion to Xtabi, make sure you bring your own snorkel gear or cash to rent when you get there. My husband and I didn't know this and had to wait around for 3 hours until the bus came back to get us. There isn't a beach and the water is deep at the cliffs. We didn't mind waiting around, the view was beautiful.

We are definitely planning our next trip back. I think we will always compare this resort to any other one that we go on. I highly recommend this resort if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing place to get away. If you are looking for a party place, this is not it.

Room Tip: I'm not sure what numbers the rooms are, but I think the 100s and 200s would be the quietest. We...
4 Thank Mrs_AmyN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
Westborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Definitely a unique and enjoyable resort. Far away from the concrete jungles that are most resorts... Also the fact that there are no children running around made it very romantic and much more enjoyable.
Some things that really made this vacation enjoyable:
1. double head in the shower (wink...)
2. towel policy (take them whenever you want)
3. Food was definitely better than expected, great variety and selection.
4. CHEF'S TABLE!! (5-7 course tasting menu cooked by the head chef in front of you - don't miss it)
5. Beach Grill/bar - so convenient, friendly and tasty
6. Piano Bar 7-9 most nights.
7. Ask the gardeners for a fresh coconut cut from the tree outside your room!
8. Fully functional Gym with water (neglected by most)
9. Champagne and mimosas from 6-7
10. Walk up beach musicians - some people find this annoying but I personally really enjoyed the music while lounging on the beach
11. Fully stocked mini-fridge in the room with beer/soda/water - refilled every day and included in package. Amazing...

Tips:
1. Bring small bills! Tipping isn't required but I enjoyed the personal touch of most of the staff. (I tipped 10$ a day and spread it out for things I really appreciated. Most of the staff is so friendly you will regret not showing your appreciation)
2. Bring Bug Spray - this resort really is in a "jungle" type setting.
3. Arrange transportation to the resort from the airport weeks prior to your vacation. We used JUTA which was fine.

Room Tip: call ahead and ask for privacy - our a mountain view. All the rooms are good though.
3 Thank Aaron B
Dublin
Reviewed 29 April 2014

At last after staying in over 20 hotels in Jamaica we have eventually found the best! This hotel is better than couples and Riu.

This hotel is absolutely beautiful. We have just returned from a 10 day holiday in Jamaica and loved our stay at this hotel. From the time we arrived the staff could not do enough for us.

The rooms are amazing, large, bright, no smell of previous smokers in the rooms as all rooms are non smoking. The hotel complex has a designated area for smokers.
The food was plentyful with lots of options.

The pool area is imaculate wtih plenty of sun loungers.

I would highly recommend this hotel and cant wait to go back.

Congratulations to all the staff, you really know how to treat your clients. You should send some of your staff to other hotels to show them how its done!

Room Tip: All rooms are non smoking
2 Thank DublinLinda
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is my 6th time at this resort and every time I go back it just keeps getting better. It all starts when you arrive at the resort and you are greeted with a big smile from Kenroy and a refreshing drink. Kenroy will gladly help take your bags to your room, and my goodness the rooms are amazing. The beds are spectacular and the porch outside of your room is perfect which includes a hammock and a bed. One thing that truly sets SATP apart from other resorts is the food. Every meal exceeded my expectations. It begins right away in the morning at the fresh egg making station (highly recommend the omelet) and a big smile from Andrew the cook. After breakfast, one should take the short 2 minute walk to the beach. It is absolutely magnificent and very well maintained. A huge thanks to Jeff and all the other lifeguards for helping us out everyday with a helping hand and getting the chairs out for us. The next meal you have should be at the beach because the beach grill is to die for. Opal did a fantastic job everyday and every meal was perfect. The beach is great spot to watch the sunset after a long day of relaxing. A nice way to spice up your trip is to have dinner in the Lotus Leaf restaurant. The food once again is fantastic. The Lotus Leaf has Class-A service led by Venroy. Every time I went there Venroy took care of everything and made me feel so welcome. I would like to mention that all the bartenders do such a great job and love to have fun with you. They want to make your stay as best as possible. Also, Lair and Sifford make your dining experience so worthwhile. This place is absolutely stunning, the grounds crew led by Shorty do such a great job and they work so hard, please tell them thank you every chance you get. Finally, the thing that SATP does that surpasses everyone is the service. I have become such great friends with a lot of people there which include; Lair, Kirk, Desmond (Security at the Beach), Esroy, Sifford, and Kenroy. These people will do anything to make your stay better, all you have to do is ask and they will be there. Everyone who works at SATP has such a nice warm smile for you and makes you feel like family when you're there. I am looking forward to when I can go back to SATP for my seventh time and make even more memories with my friends and family.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ryan O
Lake Country, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our 2nd visit to this resort occurred between April 12 and 22nd, 2014. We were so impressed with our 1 week stay last year (it ended too soon!!) that we booked this year’s stay for 10 days. We remembered most of the staff and were pleased to note that they also remembered us as well! Everyone at the resort is great and friendly and interested in your well being (it’s not an act to get better tips) and some of the people we came into close contact with were Claudette, Cornelius, Craig, Leonardo, Paul and Shemoy. They were all eager to please and make us feel at home.
Nonetheless, all personnel should be congratulated; from the gardeners (thank you Shorty for the coconuts—we were never able to see you to thank you in person) to the cleaning staff (RoseMary); beach area staff and bars including the wonderful reception staff etc.
A small, intimate, friendly resort where you can interact with other visitors as well as the staff to the extent you wish and your privacy will be well respected.
The biggest change to this resort is it’s now limited to adults only and the atmosphere this creates is better oriented to the type of clientele we met. As well, there is now a fridge in every room which is filled daily; along with ice delivery around 6:00PM; slippers and robes. One doesn’t need much as you have your own deck with table & daybed to relax in when you aren’t wandering around the garden areas of the hotel or the beach area. No need to rush to reserve your spot on the beach. Plenty of beach chairs as well as shade to hide from the sun. The beach area is large and cleaned daily and is one of the ‘better’ beach areas on Bloody Bay. Plenty of entertainers to keep you amused—A huge “Hello” to Donavan and Andre the Ciggy Man!!
One of our biggest worries was that my spouse is gluten intolerant as of January 2014. We were worried about what/how she would eat during our stay. Needless to say, the chef and staff in the dining area were so interested and available to assist us in our meal planning. Every day we would meet with Chef Howard as well as Reily and Simone to plan out the day’s meals and what she would like to eat etc. Andrew in the morning did the best omelettes and poached eggs. Not a single problem or hitch and it was wonderful to see the chef bring out each daily meal and serve it in person to my spouse. A big ‘hats off’ to the dining staff for the care and interest they exhibited to ensure that my spouse’s vacation was as easy as possible!!
This year, again, we were lucky enough to meet and chat with visitors from all over. This is not a ‘party central’ type of resort but, rather a place to relax and unwind with good conversation from your fellow travelers. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and look forward to repeating it again next year. Thank you, once again, SATP for making us feel at home with our second family!!!

Room Tip: We prefer rooms in the 400 to 500s
3 Thank KubaKrazy
Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is our favorite little corner of the world. This was recently our sixth trip to SATP. People always inquire what makes SATP so special as to return to the same location so frequently. I answer with the following:
1. Beautiful, simple accommodations that make you feel as though you are in a remote corner of the world. Beds were extremely comfortable. Mini bar in the room was a very nice addition. We find the rooms to be extremely clean and comfortable.
2. Very good food ranging from the eggs made to order in the morning to the newly started Chief's Table. Service in the Lotus Leaf was first class.
3. One of the best beaches in the world with fantastic sunsets with no competition for chairs, towels, etc. The walk across the road to the beach is very short (2 minute walk) that actually adds to the remote ambience of the rooms.
4. Very importantly, a staff that truly cares about your vacation enjoyment. A special shout out to Kirk, Esroy, Vinroy, Sifford, Opel, Kenroy, Desmond, Melissa and all the life guards that made every day special at the beach. Liar was always a very attentive Food and Beverage manager that is very interested in all feedback. These people have become family.

It is important for future guests to have proper expectations. This is a very quiet, laidback resort. This is the perfect place to relax, catch up on reading and get away from the day to day real world. This is not a party central. In fact, the evening entertainment is very low key.
It is also critical to remember that you are in a tropical location. Accordingly be prepared to bring bug spray for mosquitoes. We found that a simple spray of repellent does the trick.

Lastly, we always meet great people from around the world. Being a small resort allows guests to interact frequently (if you so desire) and get to know one another.

In summary, we are already planning our return for our seventh visit. Thank you Sharon and your wonderful staff for another fantastic vacation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Teriwfb
New Hampshire
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We will be back! It will be a longer vacation next time. Topical setting, friendly staff, beautiful beach, adult resort, small, personable, 85 raised bungalows with no adjoining walls. White sand beach, clear beautiful water. This is a very small all-inclusive resort and which exceeded our expectations. If you are looking for a variety of food and nightlight this is not the resort for you. If you want to relax and meet some great guests and staff in a beautiful setting then try Sunset at the Palms. We are ready to go back...maybe in November for our 30th anniversary.

Thank you to everyone who made us feel so welcome and part of the SATP family.

Room Tip: Rooms along the back fence. We stayed in 712. Occassionally we could hear road noise but I would ta...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends