“Cozy and relaxing”

Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Sutherland, Nebraska
“Cozy and relaxing”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We just returned from our first-ever resort vacation, so these are the observations of a novice. We spent six nights, all-inclusive at the Sunset at the Palms in Negril. It is an absolutely wonderful resort. The "tree house" rooms are quiet and secluded. We were disappointed at first to find that it is not beach-side, but came to love this feature throughout the vacation.

Let me start with the rooms - they are spacious and unique. Once you learn how to operate the a/c, it is very efficient. The cons - lighting! There are two low-watt bedside lamps, and low-watt lights in the bathroom and closet. Over the sink, there is at least some decent light. It was very, very dim in the room. HOOKS! There is no where to hang anything! There is a closet rod, but when you need to hang up your bathrobe, towels, wet swim wear, you have to drape them over every available surface.

We were pretty disappointed with the food, but that stems a lot from our unreasonable expectations. Being a tropical locale, we expected magnificent seafood, and it wasn't available. There is an Asian restaurant on-site that is only open a few nights a week, with four entrees - beef, chicken, goat and fish. The buffet is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with a different "theme" for each evening meal. The food and the presentations are limited in flavor and uninspired in presentation. The grill on the beach is an excellent choice for lunch.

As can be imagined with "all-inclusive", the liquor was free-flowing. The guys drank lots of Red Stripe beer and us girls sampled nearly every rum-inspired drink imaginable.

The pool and hot tub with the swim-up bar facilities are very relaxing after a long day at the beach or on a tour.

Which brings me to the subject of tours - there are many choices. The tour company you booked through will sit you down (telling you it's required) and try to sell you tours. The hotel has a tour desk, and the taxis out front will offer tours. There are different water tour offerings available on the beach. Not knowing any better, we booked through our tour company (Apple). Big mistake - we were gone 11 hours (a wasted day in paradise!), spent about an hour each at three different destinations (Black River, YS Falls and the Appleton Rum Factory). The rest of the time is driving on very, very rough roads. We returned grouchy, hungry and exhausted. A better choice would have been to choose one of the taxi tour offerings. We heard this from many, many experienced vacationers.

Recommendations: Bring your own insulated cups for the beach. They are available for $12 in the gift shop, but get them on sale in the states. The drinks are very small and hardly last the time it takes to return to your lounger. Also, bring floaties. They also are available in the gift shop for $13, but when you can get them on sale in the states for $3, just pack them then leave them for other guests on your return. The same is true for any beach toys that you might want - frisbees, beach balls, etc.

The people ARE wonderful! Always seeking to please and waiting on you hand and foot. We booked an "all inclusive" that said it included tipping. But after learning that the average wage is $10 per DAY, with people like the pool boys making much less, we TIPPED.

We will definitely book again, probably at this same resort.

Room Tip: Try to get toward the back of the resort - it's much quieter.
2 Thank Nebraska O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Just returned home last night from the Sunset at the Palms and what a vacation. We are definitely going back again. This is my pros and some cons:

Flight to Jamaica - Pros: short and sweet: Cons: Rethink arriving on Saturday. 7 planes arrived same time and took 1.5 hours to get to immigration. However, coming home to USA 3 planes and took longer so we missed our connected flight.

Rooms: Pros: Amazing and the day bed outside to great for naps and shower is amazing. Cons: Watch out for the frame around the bed. You notice other guest with bruises.

Beach: Pros: Awesome and even saw a sting ray in the morning. A lot of shaded areas and Jay and Jeffrey are great setting you up. Opal gives you a great lunch with her singing tunes. Yes you do have to cross the street but the security guard takes your room going and "back to base". They have a crossing guard so no worries. The walk to the beach was shorter than another hotel I stayed last year to have breakfast. Cons: Next time we bring rafts!!!

Facility: Pros: Limited to characters on this post to describe. You relax and get to know others during your stay. Cons: None.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lostcruff
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Hey listen I'm gonna write what every one else has wrote but I promised my self I would do it never the less I'm not one for writing reviews the reason why I'm doing it because people need to know it's the most chilled out relaxing place I've ever known the staff are amazing truly not false just happy to please & want to know about you they listen & hey before you know it they were calling good morning to you by name the staff are the best & yes I am gonna name them Leonardo shamroy Cornelius kenroy all the lady's at front desk special thanks to Yvette food amazing different menu every night chefs table fantastic lotus restaurant glorious beach grill amazing tree top apartments & setting was a jungle paradise the beach is the best & I've been to a few believe you me I did get married there on April 4 the most fantastic day I didn't no weather to mention that coz people would think I'm bias which is what I think when I see it on here but it is true paradise out of this world thank you sooo much sunset at the palms love all of you see you all soon

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jamie P
Denver
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff. Always trying to make your stay better. Food was fantastic, good quality and quantity. The facilities were clean and the treehouse concept was quite enjoyable. Being across the road from the beach turned out to be an asset because it cut out a lot of noise and the walk was no problem at all. Only downside was the nightly music, just too loud and we did not enjoy it but only lasted 2 hours a night.

Room Tip: If you do not enjoy loud music at night stay away from the pool area.
Delaware, Ohio
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My wife and I chose to stay at Sunset at the Palms specifically for the rooms. The tree house bungalows are excellent. The beds are comfortable and the setting is intimate. Even the walk to and from the rooms is relaxing due to the beautifully manicured grounds. The staff is extremely friendly, the food is good, and the atmosphere of the common areas leaves little to be desired. I think you would regret staying at a bigger resort because of the scale. The smaller size of Sunset at the Palms gives you a personal connection with the staff which makes your stay even more relaxed. They remember you and go out of their way to make your stay perfect. We found it hard to leave after our honeymoon.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the resort have little to no road noise.
1 Thank Blake P
Killeen, Texas
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband had been deployed for 10 months and we wanted to escape somewhere, anywhere... It didn't really matter where, it was more about the resort and what it had to offer. The more we researched, the more we narrowed down exactly what we wanted... It had to be completely all inclusive, we didn't want to pay for any food, drinks (alcoholic and non), small (under 100 rooms) and, since we were taking a vacation without kids, we wanted adults only. Being relaxing also had to be a priority as that was the entire point of getting out of the US.

Sunset at the Palms was the only one that met every single requirement that we had and within the first 5 minutes of arriving, we knew we would already be back. You are welcomed by very friendly staff who take your bags, give you a cold towel and bring you a drink. After some quick paperwork, they take you to your room, actually talk to you while they take you there and point out where everything is. Every person that we met there were friendly. We didn't pass an employee without them asking how we were or if we needed anything.

Our room was gorgeous with a mountain view. My only complaint about the room is that we were right by the bar so the night before we left, my husband and I had tried to go to bed early but they had a one man band (which, was excellent from what we could hear) and it was loud. However, it only lasted for an hour and we were able to go to sleep. When my husband and I first got in the bed, it was harder than we prefer but we still slept like babies on it.

The only other sound we heard when we were in our room was the sound of nature, birds, bugs, etc, very soothing and exactly what we wanted. We weren't wanting to listen to people be louds, run down hallways, kids screaming. Just silence.

Food was amazing. Most or all of their fruits and vegetables are grown right there on the property, we could see the garden from our room. We did the chefs table our last night there and I while I wasn't a fan of the food served, it was good. (I'm not a salmon or fruit on my salad kind of girl but the other food served was ah-mazing).

We never had to wait for a drink at the bar. There is a little bit of inconsistency with the alcohol. I would get one drink and it taste great, but the next one would have a stronger alcohol taste, but the next one wouldn't be as strong. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something I noticed.

The pool was always dead, same with the hot tub. If anyone was in it, they were all lounging around on the floaties which was perfect for us.

The beach is nice, the water is blue and calm, the waves are small and don't expect to collect seashells on it. We did find a starfish, that was pretty cool.

We got massages at the spa, the staff was friendly but the massage isn't what we were expecting but we had never had a massage before so we have nothing to compare it to.

If you go on the free excursion to Xtabi, make sure you bring your own snorkel gear or cash to rent when you get there. My husband and I didn't know this and had to wait around for 3 hours until the bus came back to get us. There isn't a beach and the water is deep at the cliffs. We didn't mind waiting around, the view was beautiful.

We are definitely planning our next trip back. I think we will always compare this resort to any other one that we go on. I highly recommend this resort if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing place to get away. If you are looking for a party place, this is not it.

Room Tip: I'm not sure what numbers the rooms are, but I think the 100s and 200s would be the quietest. We...
4 Thank Mrs_AmyN
Westborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Definitely a unique and enjoyable resort. Far away from the concrete jungles that are most resorts... Also the fact that there are no children running around made it very romantic and much more enjoyable.
Some things that really made this vacation enjoyable:
1. double head in the shower (wink...)
2. towel policy (take them whenever you want)
3. Food was definitely better than expected, great variety and selection.
4. CHEF'S TABLE!! (5-7 course tasting menu cooked by the head chef in front of you - don't miss it)
5. Beach Grill/bar - so convenient, friendly and tasty
6. Piano Bar 7-9 most nights.
7. Ask the gardeners for a fresh coconut cut from the tree outside your room!
8. Fully functional Gym with water (neglected by most)
9. Champagne and mimosas from 6-7
10. Walk up beach musicians - some people find this annoying but I personally really enjoyed the music while lounging on the beach
11. Fully stocked mini-fridge in the room with beer/soda/water - refilled every day and included in package. Amazing...

Tips:
1. Bring small bills! Tipping isn't required but I enjoyed the personal touch of most of the staff. (I tipped 10$ a day and spread it out for things I really appreciated. Most of the staff is so friendly you will regret not showing your appreciation)
2. Bring Bug Spray - this resort really is in a "jungle" type setting.
3. Arrange transportation to the resort from the airport weeks prior to your vacation. We used JUTA which was fine.

Room Tip: call ahead and ask for privacy - our a mountain view. All the rooms are good though.
3 Thank Aaron B