“Welcome Home”

Ranked #7 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Morton Grove, Illinois
“Welcome Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

That was how we were greeted for our second time back. The staff remembered us even as we walked into the entrance. This is the most amazing resort! We went back again this year in April for the second year in a row.

The staff are the most wonderful part of Sunset at the Palms. The grounds are incredible, and the beach is the best around. I highly recommend this resort. The rooms a beautiful with balconies that have great daybeds and privacy for relaxing after a wonderful day at the beach. The food is exceptional and the Chef’s Table and Lotus Leaf room are a must. Opal the chef at the grill on the beach will make your day with her delicious food and beautiful laugh and smile.

We are planning our trip back again for next April already.

We must say thank you to everyone who works at SATP, and mention some of the incredible staff that made us feel like we were in our second home. So thank you Kadian, Loleta , Sifford, Dwight, Kenroy, Venroy, Patroy, Shorty, Kirk, Karla, Rose, Craig, Opal, Desmond, Jeff, Clevon, Kurt, Esroy, Clive, Kemp, Teion, Kerry, Mellesia, Elvis, the Eggman who make the best poached eggs I have ever had, the gate keepers, I wish I could name all who are on staff!

Special thanks to Kadian, for all of her help each time we have planned our trips. To Sifford, for treating us like royalty and for you subtle sense of humor. To Patroy my friend, for your smile and the wonderful coconuts you brought to us every day. To Desmond, for your friendship, and all that you do for the guests at this wonderful resort. To Dwight, one of the best chefs I have ever met.

This is a beautiful place and is a destination that we will keep coming back to for years to come.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shotzie05

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

SATP is unbelievable! Believe in all the good things you've heard about this resort. Just walking around the property you feel like you are in paradise. Not a day went by that we didn't see hummingbirds feeding as we walked to our room from eating of coming back from the beach. The staff is wonderful. Everyone from the front desk, bartenders (beach bar, pool bar, and martini bar), maids, wait staff at all dining rooms, head chef, omelet cook, lifeguards at the beach, crossing guards, grounds keeper were all very nice. We did not encounter one person working here that did not engage us in a positive manner.
Upon checking in to our room, it was hot as an oven. We called the front desk and they said they would send someone over right away. Having traveled to the islands extensively, we joked "yeah right! We'll see you right away!". Well shame on us when we got a knock on our door not more than 3 minutes later. The mechanic charged up the freon and we were good to go. Both the front desk and the mechanic apologized for the inconvenience and were sincere in their apologies. Very refreshing to see a staff that truly cared about your comfort.
The room itself is amazing. You really do have to be here to fully appreciate the ambiance. Everything from the exotic hardwood floor, to the unbelievable shower and the romantic as can be balcony, you just have to be here to experience it as words are inadequate.
The beach is gorgeous. There are about 3 palapas (thatched roof huts) to be had on the right side of the beach. But there was plenty of shade under the trees. Just be careful when chillin below an almond tree, as the falling fruit can peg you pretty good! The guard sets you up with chairs anywhere you wanted. Here you can chill with a drink from the beach bar, eat some jerk chicken from the grill, swim, sail (after a $20 lesson from the staff), kayak, paddle boat, venture to the craft shops, enjoy a $20 lobster meal from Office of Nature, enjoy the beach performers, meet the other travelers, walk the entire length of bloody bay, or simply nap on your lounger. The beach stays open until 7PM, so you will have time to enjoy the sunset if you choose to stay.
The pool is the gathering place to meet other guests and talk about anything and everything. The other travelers were very engaging. It must have been the vibe or the ever flowing red stripe and cocktails. Don't be surprised if out of nowhere the bartender will start serving up some delicious shots that always get everyone to the next level of friendly!
The food was plentiful and they definitely mixed up the offering at the buffet well enough that you were not bored. The one ala carte was the Lotus Leaf with enough offering to keep you interested for 2 meals in my opinion. The chef's table is not to be missed. I suggest shorts and bug spray on your legs as this was done on the lawn just behind the pool. The head chef was a confident and extremely creative chef.
One tip I'll give is to bring ear plugs. I enjoyed the tree frogs and other creatures singing me to sleep, but getting back into sleep after a 2 AM bathroom break is not easy. I had ear plugs so this was no issue.
I'm sure I'm leaving out tons of info. If you have any specific questions on SATP or Negril, just drop me a line and I'll do my best to answer your questions. Happy travels!

Room Tip: best rooms are at the back of the property away from the road and pool.
3 Thank IPFreelyNEtime
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I'm normally apprehensive about all-inclusive resorts, as there's a connotation of being "too touristy" and "impersonal", but Sunset at the Palms (SATP) has done a fine job of creating an intimate and personal atmosphere without the cheesy megaresort vibe. Being an adults-only resort was a major selling point, as we wanted a quiet and relaxing vacation, without the headache of noisy children and families.

Staff are professional and the restaurant/bar staff were especially lovely people to converse with - hardworking and meticulous to a fault, majority had a smile on their faces, however there were a few who appeared rather miserable and inattentive.

Food was decent, with dinner themes nightly. Breakfast was essentially the same fare daily (stop overcooking the bacon!), with two or three variations in local dishes. There's a martini/piano bar, pool bar, beach bar, coffee bar and in-room mini bar - so there's no excuse for you to be sober or dehydrated here.

There are no real activities at SATP, besides a gym, tennis court, spa and pool/beach - so if you're bored after your first day or so, you'll likely need to book some third party tours and venture outside the resort. There's live music every night, but if you're looking to party or go crazy, then you're at the wrong place.

Rooms looked exactly like the photos on their website and are beautiful. You'll fall asleep to the sound of crickets and wake up to the sound of birds.

The price is affordable for the quality of service provided (and this is not an invitation to raise it). Experience overall was very positive, I doubt I'd return again due to wanting to try other resorts, but would definitely recommend it.

Things to note: Bring or buy mosquito repellent, you WILL get bitten. The resort has wifi, but it is extremely slow and intermittent throughout the resort. The beach is across the street, which might be a turn-off - but it's a private beach for SATP guests only and is rather quiet. Airport transfer to the resort is not included, but can be arranged by the hotel for a fee, or you can arrange your own.

1 Thank grumpykins
Smyrna, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed at Sunset at the Palms for our honeymoon. What a great experience! The scenery is absolutely gorgeous and the entire staff is friendly. The room was clean, and the balcony provided a serene view. I am a vegetarian, and very picky eater on top of that, but I was always able to find something at the Palm Grove restaurant. They have a variety to choose from for every meal, and the food was delicious! The beach was fantastic, although the people walking by trying to sell you things and sing to you can be quite annoying. We spent most of our days by the pool. he pool is very relaxing, with a swim-up bar my husband never wanted to leave. We booked our trip early (about 6 months in advance) which I recommend doing because we got an amazing deal. Overall, we had an amazing experience and we will definitely be going returning!

2 Thank Krista A
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

The grounds are beautiful, as is the rest of the resort. The beach is fantastic with lots of rum cocktails available and very tasty jerk chicken. We spent most evenings in the pool which is never busy and as it is part of the bar you can enjoy the entertainment from here. The staff make what is already an amazing resort extra special. They are always happy, friendly and attentive. All of the food is delicious, but the chef's table is not to be missed- the food and setting are magical. It is cool, relaxed and far more individual than any resort I've ever been to before. Simply didn't want to leave!

1 Thank Tuftstrain
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This resort was nothing short of amazing! The grounds were truly breathtaking, combining a jungle atmosphere with a beach-y vibe. The small size of the resort makes it impossible not to meet other amazing couples. I can't speak highly enough about the food. As a picky eater myself, I was a bit concerned. When I heard that I could drink the water, I was skeptical. Both the water and the food were PERFECT! With the country's natural resource of limestone purifying the water, and an AMAZING staff cooking the food, not only did we NOT get sick, but we couldn't have been happier! I have never eaten more in my life. :) Make sure to check out the chef's table to have a dining opportunity of a lifetime!

2 Thank Artbyariel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I can't say anything bad about this place, and I am trying to. The resort was great. Staff was great. Food was great. Opal at the beach grill was the best. Stella at the coffee bar was pleasant and kind. She also makes a killer cup of coffee. I guess the only thing that took some getting used to was that the beach was across the street. For me it wasn't an issue but some guests didn't like that. Overall this place was a great value for the price. I have stayed at Couples Negril, Grand Lido Negril, and now here. Do yourself a favor and give these cool treehouse style rooms a shot. It was cool. Oh yeah, if your prone to bug bites bring the spray. I didn't have one bite. But my wife got a few.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Troutski1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,178 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!