“Serenity and beauty--we'll go back again and again”

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Bristol, TN
“Serenity and beauty--we'll go back again and again”
Reviewed 21 February 2009

This hotel is not for the person that wants to stay in an upscale room on the beach. But for the person that seeks the beauty of nature, seculsion from the noise and crowds of that trendy hotel, a staff that knows you, simple elegance, and good food served with a smile--this is your place. Everything we read about this hotel (good and bad) was true. The rooms are not well lit--but why are you in your room with the AC going in Jamaica? It does not have a lot of water toys, but the beach is quite and inviting. If you want a place with no kids and you value elegant simplicity you must stay here.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank stevep1069

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
Ajax, ON
Reviewed 17 February 2009

We went to SATP for a family wedding and my husband and I were part of huge group of 40 people (Sorry for the people who stayed there at the same time as we did)! We basically took over.
The resort is gorgeous and I wish all resorts were this small, better service, no lineups, everything is available when you want it. The beach was great, definitely go see Opal Rose at the beach grill, she can cook! No one got sick from food, maybe from drinking ;)! You can drink the water in Negril, so bottled water is not an issue, but they do give you a complimentary bottle when you arrive. The room is great, gorgeous, we also didn't have to use the air conditioning we were almost chilly at night..good feeling though! The tree frogs were loud, but I'm a big fan, so I enjoyed it. We were also by the road and the other resort and I didn't find it a big deal, but I could see how some people could get upset over that. The rooms were really clean and the day bed was heaven, for afternoon reading and naps. The grounds are gorgeous, full of trees and flowers, more than any huge resorts which is great. The wedding was beautiful, they did a great job!

The only things I recommend:
1) Bug Spray and After bite or other itch cream type medication (we got killed with bugs when we were there) It really didn't bother us though!! You are in paradise.
2) Bring bubba kegs, easier for them to do drinks and less time you have to go back (try the Jamaican Lemonade (or called Beverage)with gin or vodka or just as a refreshing drink)
3) Go to Rick's Cafe and buy your souvenirs at the market you will go to(cheaper than hotel)
4) If you want entertainment do not go to this resort, it's non-existant, thankfully we were a big group so we entertained ourselves. It's a really laid-back quiet resort.
5) If you want to go snorkelling go see Andy down to the left of the SATP beach, you can go snorkel for 15$ US and he snorkels with you to show you different things. Much cheaper than hotel.
6) No need to wake up early to get your chairs at beach, tons to go around.
7) Relax, Have fun and everything IRIE!!!

• Stayed January 2009
7 Thank holaback
Vancouver
Reviewed 15 February 2009

After a month of thorough research, my boyfriend and I reserved a tree house room for one week during Jamaica's peek tourism season. Our needs were:

- a tranquil place to relax & an authentic Jamaican expenience
- a lush garden environment with a beautful beach
- a/c, room service, balcony & privacy

We did not need:
- entertainment crew & activity squad
- mini-bar, bulter & faux luxury included

Here is a review summary:

We flew direct on Air Canada from Vancouver to Montego Bay. Over seven hours with out a single pretzel. We do not recommend this airline to anyone. Our flight arrived at 5:00pm and we made our way quite smoothly through customs. We met out Holiday Services rep. for out transfer service. We did not book private transfer so I had assumed that we might have to wait for another flight or two to land (fill up the bus) before we drove off to Negril. I was happy and suprised when Rita told me it should just be a few minutes and she walked away. We ened up standing there waiting for over three hours for our van to depart when the last of our fellow passengers had boarded within the first two hours after we had got there. We had expected to have to wait and were prepared to wait when we arrived, but once we was told we would be leaving in just 10 minutes. They has the flight details so why not be up front about the three hour wait? We would not have been dispointed, I promise! While our driver, Oswald, was personable and a fast driver, we do not recommend Holiday Services (transfers & tours) to anyone.

The shuttle van pulled up in front of the open air hotel lobby area just after 9:00pm and were greeted immediatly by a friendy staff member who showed us the front desk. We were offered chilled lavendars towels and fruit punch. Check in went smooth and quick. Omar was our bellboy who showed us to our tree house. Each cabin holds two tree houses and the balconys are on oppiset sides. You only share stairs with your neighbour and we never saw ours. Our building was right by the road; but our unit (611) was facing into ther resort. We would have had more privacy but also more noise had we been in the building's west facing unit (612). The room was standard, but they also have a few 1 bedroom suite that can accomodate more than the usual two guests. Beautiful wood interior, inferior lighteing (not an issue for us, after spending all day in the sun), slate tiled bathroom and firm, comfortable king size bed. I've read people write on TripAdvisor when they've reviewed other hotels, that they spend such little time in the room that it doesn't have to be that nice. I disagree. For the money that we've spent (hundreds of dollars a night) I expect a great place to sleep and shower, regardless of how often I'm in the room. These accomodattions met our expectations. The screened windows have wooden shutters but there is also a/c. We never had to use it. We watched tv a few times at night. Once, it stoped working at about 11pm. We did not mention this to staff as it only happend once. There is also a nice balcony with day bed, table and two chairs. The cabins are designed so that no two balconies face each other, I believe. What a difference that makes! You can just lay out there on your deck with out a care in the world or anyone gawking at you. The only thing we didn't like about the room was the bedspread. It was very sinthetic, pastic feeling. In such a humid enviroment sleeping with a ptastic blanket was awful! I would bring my own blanket next time. It was like tablecloth! Thats what I compare it to. Truly horrid. The room was extremely clean. They even swept off the balcony daily. We tipped $5 usd or cad everyday to housekeeping.

The grouds are perfectly kept and beautiful lush. We took the garden walking tour (offered on Mondays & Fridays) with Shorty the gardener and recommend it. He walked us though the property and told us all the plant names. It lasted three hours but we were "free to leave at anytime".

There used to be fruit trees on site but not anymore. The hotel's offical website was a bit misleading... there used to be. No fresh fruit juice either :(

The facilities were maintained to a very high standard. Even the public bathroom and the one at the beach was spotless. Like, I walked in covered in sand- how could it be so clean?! The gym has all new equipement. We never used it- come on, we were on vacation. I don't think it gets much use. If anything fitness buffs jogg the beach, no?

The Palm Grove Resataurant is open air as are many of the facities & common areas. There is a buffet here from ?? -10am // 12pm - 3pm // 7pm -10pm. They seved enough varitey for a week's stay. Any longer and we would have had to have eaten off the resort from time to time. The buffet food was good, not amazing. It's mass produced, so we din't have high expectations, but then again this was our first time at an all inclusive so we werenb't sure what that meant quaily wise. Some stand outs were: anything fresh from the grill station (pork / beef / pasta bar / cook to order omlettes), fresh local fruit, quaily bacon not over cooked, just greasy, fresh baked breads and rolls, yams & stews.
We didn't enjoy the desserts at all. Cheesecake would have been OK had it been cold.

We eat at the Lotus Leaf a la carte restaurant once, on Thursday night. Pumkin soup, spring rolls, beef and stew were delicious. Desserts- yucky. Chocolate mousse = gelatin and the Chocolate & Vanilla mousse tasted like melted choclate chips mixed with rum. Both called "mousse" but neither were.

Beach BBQ was great! We liked the jerk chicken and the tuna melt. It is open 12pm-6pm. The Beach was beautiful can clean. Don't bring a raft, there are lots there.

Bar service was OK. We are not big drinkers so we don't have too many comments. Sometimes you had to order the same drink a few times before you'd get it, just because they forget. This didn't bother us at all but I could see how it could get irritating if you drank more or didn't like reminding the bar man. We both liked the dirtly banana and the rum and coke. Shorty the gardender told us that the bananas they use are grown on property. We brought travel mugs and used them a couple of times on the beach. Some guests from other hotels had huge mega mugs that seemed obnoxious. Our regular sized ones were perfect!

We had a couples massage (60 minutes - $165 usd) in the therapy garden. It's just two tables on a platform outside with white curtains all around for privacy. The warm breeze and fresh air made the massage even better. You can have your session on the beach if you wish, but we liked the garden just fine. We thought the massage was a good value and would recommend this service to everyone.

The gift shop had a fair selection of t-shirts, postcards and such. They also had mosquitos candles and insense, which I thought was nice. The usual sunset branded merchandise was present. The lady who works it the shop is just lovey and the prices are what you would expect. A few nights a week they allow this pushy vebdor to sell their wares. I did not like this because they were very very pushy. If they are allowed to be there of private property, they should not be aloud to heckle guests. Wait until we approach you! They acted like the vendors on the beach and I didn't think it was appopriate for the hotel to have these people there.

The evening entertainment was always exellent but we often went to bed early.
There was lots of noise at night coming from the Riu Tropical Plalace next door / across the street. I could not imagine staying there! Once or twice when we were in our room in the afternoon were could hear their bingo games. This was actually more annoying then the odd car horn honk or passing loud vehicle.

There are just sixy-some units with mostly couples ther are less than 150 guests staying at any given time. The resort seemed empty to us. Never ever had to wait in line and this is busy season. We recommend this hotel to quiet people who want to relax and want it all!

9 Thank Great_Expectations84
Indiana
Reviewed 13 February 2009

My husband and I and two other couples stayed at Sunset at the Palms the first week of February. The resort is so beautiful it is beyond description! You just have to see it to believe it. The grounds are meticulously cared for by a very dedicated crew. It's simply lovely!

We were in treehouse room 501. It is the first one over the little bridge from the lobby. Very close and convenient to everything. Only had a problem with noise one night when a wedding reception in the Lotus Leaf lasted until about 1 am. The tree frogs sing at night so if you are a light sleeper, you ought to consider bringing earplugs.

The food was very good. Keep in mind this is a very small resort so you won't have 10 different restaurants to choose from. I thought they did a very good job of providing a variety of foods to choose from on the buffet. The food at the beach grill was yummy! Especially the fish, jerk chicken and chicken melt sandwich. My mouth is watering now just thinking about it. Opal Rose and Leone are terrific!

Drinks are strong and good. We brought Tervis tumbler insulated mugs with us to put our drinks in thanks to previous suggestions on TripAdvisor. So glad we did! The bartenders are a blast! Kudos to Greg, Omar, Esroy, 45 and Garth!

The beach is beautiful and I believe the nicest on all of Bloody Bay. I did walk along the beach past the Office of Nature almost everyday to go to the RIU Negril beach. It is very shallow and protected with sea grass beds where you can see all kinds of marine life. I saw an octopus, an eagle ray, two different kinds of starfish, lots of pretty tropical fish, a beautiful white egret hunting for her lunch and several sea urchins. Most of the sea urchins stay in the grass beds. If you walk around in the water, be very careful NOT to step on one. They can be very difficult to see. Even though I enjoyed the marine life at their beach...I preferred ours with the clear, blue water and silky soft white sand bottom.
We spent a lot of time in the ocean floating on our rafts. Bliss!

The pool was very pretty and has a swim up bar. It's a nice alternative to the beach, but I had trouble tearing myself away from the Caribbean waters and didn't spend a lot of time at the pool. This is a first for me...I usually prefer the pool to the beach. Bloody Bay is just so inviting I couldn't seem to resist it.

We spent one afternoon in Negril shopping and at Rick's Cafe. We hired Garry (Respect tours) to drive us. He is absolutely wonderful and I recommend him to everyone. He is always parked along the street in front of the hotel in his gray/silver van. We had a great day talking with him and he carried our packages and stayed with us all of the time. We bought him a couple of Red Bull's at Rick's. On the day we left, he was there to see us off and waved to us in our JTL bus until we were out of sight! Miss you Garry!

We had no problems with mosquitos or sand fleas. It was pretty breezy while we were there, so I think that may have helped.

I loved this resort! It provided a relaxing atmosphere for our vacation. It is by far the prettiest place I have ever been. The staff is exceptional. They are very friendly and provide excellent service. If you are looking for a huge resort with constant action and entertainment, this is not the place for you. You would be better off at a RIU or Sandals. I personally can't wait to go back!
I thought Sunset at the Palms was AMAZING!

• Liked — Beautiful grounds. Beautiful beach. Wonderful staff.
  • Disliked — The pillows. One was too flat, the other too big and lumpy. :)
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank SeekerOfTheSun
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 11 February 2009

We recently returned from our first trip to Jamaica ! What an awesome island to visit....the weather, the water....incredible ! The Palms has beautiful, meticulous grounds and the rooms are charmingly tropical. The staff works hard to make sure that you are enjoying your stay. I recommend tipping occasionally as we all enjoy recognition for work well done, and I don't think they make as much as they probably should.
The pool is the gathering spot for guests and the bartenders, espescially Rory and Garth, are extremely entertaining. You'll feel like the staff our old friends by the time you leave.
There is an older gentleman who serves in the dining room and he is marvelous! I wish I knew his name because he has the art of serving a fine meal down to an art !
My daughter and I traveled alone and I was uncertain how safe moving about the island would be. Luckily, on our first day we were directed to Gary from Respect Tours 1-870-889-4588. He is a cabbie/tour guide with a very nice van and he is the most respectful, friendly and protective guide we could have wished for. For $5.00 added to our cab fare to a destination, he stayed with us at every event or location we went to. We ventured to the downtown flea market and he made sure the vendors did not over-pressure us. We ventured to a local night spot and he made sure we were not bothered, even going so far as to walk us back and forth to the restroom. We never felt so safe in our lives! All the locals seemed to know him and respect him . Gary has lived in London for a few years so his English is very, very good and his manners are outstanding. But being born and raised on the island, he knows everything you could ever want to know.
Driving on the island on your own would not be a good idea. The roads are narrow and full of potholes, and traffic moves quite quickly, and there are lots of corners where you must stop to let opposing traffic pass before going around a corner! Gary was expert at dealing with the traffic and we always felt safe.
For the extra few dollars, let someone else do the driving and stay with you on your excursions. I
Sunset at the Palms seems to have a strong following of guests who come back year after year.....we talked to many people who were there for there 5th, 6th, 7th year in a row. That says alot.
The resort is near to town and all the things you might want or need......stores, bank, great restaurants.
Enjoy your trip!

• Liked — This is a smaller, more personalized resort. No concrete walls. Nice, natural, intimate setting but still manages to entertain you and make sure you are always having the best time.
  • Disliked — The food is very good, but limited selections compared to larger resorts.
  • Stayed February 2009
6 Thank sherrie7991
NJ
Reviewed 10 February 2009

My wife and I stayed at Sunset at the Palms (SATP) for an extended weekend from 2/5 - 2/9 and had a great, relaxing time. It was our first trip to Jamaica and we wouldn't hesitate to go again. I know that Jamaica receives mixed reviews, and although there is a lot of poverty outside of the tourist areas I can say that we never felt unsafe.

I'm not sure there is much to add to the hundreds of positive reviews SATP has received already. The resort is best suited for couples looking for a relaxing time. It is pretty, quiet and tranquil although it offers entertainment each night at the pool bar. Entertainment consisted of musicians and one night there was a fire dancer.

At the resort you stay in a "treehouse". Each treehouse has two units and each treehouse is spread out about 30 yards from each other with strategic plantings (palms and bamboo) in between to give each unit privacy.

The living quarters consist of a bathroom, bedroom and porch area. The bathroom has a great shower with 5 jets on one side and a hand held device and built in seat on the other. If you use all of the jets at the same time you will run out of hot water in about 10 minutes.

The bedroom had a king sized bed (nice firm mattress) with a vaulted ceiling and ceiling fan. There was air conditioning and a television - neither of which we used. There was always a nice breeze around. The outside porch contains the comfy day bed with pillows - perfect for an afternoon read and snooze.

We found the food at the buffet to be good with a nice selection of choices. The Lotus Leaf restaurant was excellent (beef and lamb) except the chocolate mousse desert had an odd consistency to it. The grill at the beach was very handy and served up good jerked chicken and grilled cheese sandwiches to help balance out the various rum drinks served nearby. Try the dirty banana - extra dirty.

The staff from waiters, cooks, bartenders and general workers always had a smile on their faces and were very friendly. No problems.

The beach is a short walk across the street. SATP provides a crossing guard. The beach itself isn't very wide, but was clean and surrounded by beautiful tropical water. Bloody Bay is very calm. Our first day at the resort was a little stormy and they had a no swimming sign even though the waves were less than 1 foot. There are also plenty of trees on the property should you wish to pull your recliner into the shade.

To the right of the beach is what is known as the Office of Nature where peddlers sell carvings, t-shirts, jewelry and other products Jamaica is famous for. The peddlers stay in their area and don't really come onto SATP property. You can lounge in the sun in peace. An occassional musician will come by and sing for you if you wish. If you weren't interested a nice smile and respectful "no thank you" was fine.

Boats and jets skis cruise by should you wish to take a ride, go fishing or go snorkeling. You can haggle the prices. The snorkel ride is a short trip to the left out of the bay to a reef. I was surprised by the amount of fish on the reef since the beach area itself was devoid of marine life. Bring an underwater camera.

We used Talk of the Town taxi for our airport transfer and a day trip to Mayfield Falls. They were great - they'll make as many stops as you wish for food or to take in the Jamaican lifestyle. Mayfield falls was beautiful. You walk up the river, sit under the many "natural jacuzzi's", jump into deep pools and swim under a small underwater cave. It's a 5-6 hour total trip from the hotel making a stop or two for food - patties and jelly coconuts on the way home.

The only small complaints I had were: (1) that the Office of Nature area next to the resort is under construction and they occassionally burn refuse. Depending on the wind direction the smoke would come across the SATP propery while we were in the water. Not SATP's fault, but is something to keep in mind; (2) the dive shop associated with the hotel (located on the left side of the property on the beach) arranged our snorkel trip with an individual who was only interested in smoking the entire trip rather than offering us any assistance. Smoke all you want on your own time, but while on the water where an accident can occur I would have felt a little better with a captain who wasn't as high as a kite. Stay away from the unnamed boat painted in Jamaican colors.

As a whole it was a wonderful trip (too short though) at a great resort. You won't be disappointed if you choose SATP for your relaxing get away.

4 Thank wishinforfishin
montreal
Reviewed 29 January 2009

We had a great relaxing vacation at Sunset at the Palms.
The people were great, the food was fantastic, and the cottages were clean and comfortable. The people at the sunset treats you like a family and they were all wonderful and very friendly. Unfortunately a hurricane had just passed before our arrival and the beach was inaccessable for a couple of days but we were content with the pool and we still hung out at the beach. The last few days at the beach were great because the ocean had cleared
all the debris. All in all a great beach nonetheless and a wonderful resort. We will be back most definitely. Thank you for all the staff at the front dest and all the waitstaff and the gifted gardeners.

bobby,sarah and mommy.

• Liked — Peaceful
  • Disliked — The bugs but eventually you'll get use to it but it aint that bad just bring bug spray.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank sanobo