Sunset at the Palms
US$99
  • Pool
US$212
US$193
Travellers Beach Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$69
US$120
US$64
  • Pool
Negril Tree House Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$182
US$150
Xtabi Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$76
Hotwire.com
White Sands Negril(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$76
Cancelon
US$484
US$380
Hedonism II(Negril)
US$767
TripAdvisor
2,895 results
All reviewslotus leafchef's tablecrossing guardbeach grilllotus restaurantcoffee barday bedshort walk across the streettree house stylejohn wayne toursjerk chickentree frogsa la carte restaurantpiano manbloody baysmall resortour honeymoon
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We just came back from a week long vacation in Negril where we had a great relaxing time!
The hotel was very charming; isolated and peaceful!
The staff was incredibly kind and helpfull! I recommend to couples and families who want a quiet time! Not a hotel for spring break students!
The grounds are gorgeous! Magnificent plants and local trees are featured and well maintained. What a peacefull surrounding!
Please be aware that the hotel is not a waterfront property; you will havve to cross the street to access private beach!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Louis B
Reviewed 18 March 2009

This place is definitely paradise. I have never been to a place like this. The staff are all genuinely happy to be here. You can sense it. Nobody seems stressed. The rooms were imaculately clean even the washrooms were something from Architectural Digest. You will not be disappointed. We took a boat ride to Pirates Cave, snorkelled at the reef and dove at Rick's cafe. The kids wanted to go again but the sun was setting. Windsurfing is hard to come by on this island but is included at this hotel. My younger son took out the catamaran which is also included with the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank motherToronto
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Just came back from our vacation to Negril, Jamaica. The resort (Sunset at the palms) was very nice. Staff people are very pleasant and overall mood is very relaxed. Most bartenders know how to have fun and keep you entertained. Leoni (The Chef at the beach grill) is simply amazing. Very pleasant person to talk to AND makes great food. Best lunch there. Great singer as well. I think that she herself as a great asset to this resort. You'll see what I mean when you meet her.

DeJoan is a great guy who is not only very likable but has a great voice and was doing a great duet with me by the bar. Me on the piano and him singing... we drew more people than the party that was happening by the pool.

A couple times a week they have Paul Taylor playing the piano by the bar. Great musician and a pleasant guy. Please tip him if you can. I'd even suggest they place a huge good looking bole for people to place tips. It's being done everywhere in New York and it's perfectly fine.

Now ... you probably read many reviews and saw how everyone was raving about the place, so I'll mention some tips that will help you have a better time at the resort and beyond.

1. Try to get a room away from the rode. Some people might not mind the road noise but when I want to relax and feel secluded from everything ... car noise is not the sound I want to hear. We asked to be moved from rooms 600s to 500s and it was done the next day. Good choice.

2. Try to get a room closer to the main entrance as you might get tired from walking all the way through the resort (Avoid rooms in the 700s) every time you go from the beach or the bar to your cottage.

3. Here Is How NOT to get Bitten by Mosquitoes. ...... keep your balcony doors closed!!! ...especially during the sunset and evenings. People let those things get into their rooms and then they wake up in the morning with dozens of bites.

4. Best time to see and be on the beach is as early as possible. We would come at 8-9am and the water was amazing. Very calm. (Amazing time to rent a wave runner "JetSki"). Partying at the bar until 4am can be done at home .... the true gem of this place is to wake up early to see the best as soon as possible.

5. If you want to rent a wave runner see "Jimmy" (usually wearing black t-shirt and redish shorts) His wave runner is one of the best out there. These guys ask for $60 per 30 min. That's a lot of B.S. They'll give it to you for $40. Take it and enjoy it. It's amazing to ride that thing on calm waters. You'll see the sea floor as you speed on the beautiful waters. (to the left of the resort is a nude beach. Go see it)

6. We went snorkeling with Andy. He is just to the right on the beach. He will snorkel with you and it costs $15-20 per person. Cool experience.

7. Restaurants. The food is pretty good but I can see how one can get tired of it if they stay 2 weeks there. Try the Lamb and Beef at the LaCarte (or whatever it's called) restaurant. It's amazing. Note that their portions are not too big so you might ask for double or something.

8. Best lunch is ON THE BEACH prepared by my dear Leoni (hope I spelled that right). Even though every staff member is very nice and pleasant, she is THE MOST pleasant one. Ask her to sing for you. Excellent voice.

9. Transportation was provided to us by Clive's transport and they were very good. We did not request a "private transfer" and yet were the only ones on the bus. Saved a total of $60.

10. Make sure you take a lot of singles. I had $100 worth of singles and left it all there for tips. If you can ... please tip the staff. I wish I could leave tips for every meal we had but it'd cost us a lot more than $100.

11. It does get pretty cold in the room at night so be prepared to turn off the fan and ask for extra blankets.

12. The DRINKS ..... I am not a fan of alcohol so the Pina Coolatta and the regular punch juice was very, very good to me.

Last Thoughts;
We walked by the RIU resort that is right next to us and I was glad we chose Sunset at the Palms. At 11am when people were trying to relax on the beach ... 40 feet from them there was a lady (exercise instructor) screaming on the microphone to few other nut jobs as they were shaking their booty. I'd hate that if it was happening on our side of the beach.

There are not a ton of things to do in Negril unless you want to drive 1-3 hours to see something, therefore ... 5-6 days is enough if it's only the two of you. Anything more might get a little boring unless you're traveling with friends. It's not the resort .... it's the entire area.

I read that people complained about things like being offered drugs or someone harassing them on the beach. That didn't happen during my stay. A simple "No thank you" will get rid of any vendor. These folks just want to make money. We almost didn't notice them. Maybe they were disciplined by the resorts but it's fine right now.

If you want to see the sunset (which is beautiful) be sure to wear some summer pants and a shirt that will cover your body from mosquitoes. We brought a bug repellent but almost didn't use it simply by doing things mentioned above. In total I got bitten 5-6 times which is nothing.

Try to make some friends there. It'll make your stay better especially in the evenings when many hang out by the bars. People are open to conversations and a simple "So, where are you from?" will be a great starter.

Well ... hope this was useful to you. Enjoy your vacation.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Pianist718
Reviewed 11 March 2009

We have just got back from 2 weeks from SSATP - I would highly recommend it for a leisurely holiday and also recommend it for a fantastic location for a wedding. Absolutely everything that could have been asked of the staff was met with a smile and a really polite friendly attitude.

The bar staff in particular were very friendly, also a must mention is Ian from the pool. He was extremly helpful and extremly dilligent in his job - and a very big thanks goes to him.

The walk to the beach only took a few moments, contrary to a report i had read before I went, which had I read before I booked the holiday - i probably wouldnt have booked it. The person in the report said a long walk to the beach!!!! All I can say is they probably went the wrong way lol.

One couple that were staying there were on their 8th trip to the resort and hotel - I think that speaks for itself dont you?

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank allison4
Reviewed 6 March 2009

Spent the week of February 16 at Sunset with my spouse and three other couples. The hotel is certainly a change of pace from regular hotels. You felt like you were living in a small community because of the way the "rooms" are set up. It feels like each is its own small house. The grounds were beautiful and very well kept. The beach was clean and had the natural plants and trees left alone so it was a great place for a group where some like some like sun and some like shade. The buffet food was good but their international nights were not what you would expect. The food at the specialty restaurant was good and it was nice to have someone wait on you but it had the same menu on the different nights we went. The rooms were good but a little small and they could use more storage and lighting in each room. It never seemed to be packed which was rather nice. It felt almost like your own private resort. You will see the many and much bigger resorts near by but they sure were crowded. Found a nice driver named John, who is usually waiting outside the gate on the way to the beach, to take us to Rick's and the lighthouse one day and the craft market and Margarettaville on another day. Should have gone to Mayfield Falls but never made it. The staff was nice. Oneal is a good bartender and a nice guy. This hotel is in Bloody Bay not Long Bay but I think this beach is nicer and certainly less crowded. It is at the beginning of the seven mile stretch of beach so it does take about 15 minutes to get to the center of town, not really a big deal.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple