“We had a wonderful trip!!! We were there for a week for Valentine's Day.”

Charela Inn / Le Vendome
Ranked #23 of 85 Hotels in Negril
California
“We had a wonderful trip!!! We were there for a week for Valentine's Day.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

We go on vacation every year at the same time with a group of 8, 4 couples in their 40's. We choose a different location every year. This year we picked Negril and stayed at the Charela. It is my new favorite location!! We enjoyed the 7 miles of white powdery beaches and kick back atmosphere. We stayed in down stairs ocean front unit and I would recommend paying the extra money, it was so nice to walk out of your room and you are on the beach. Plus all the rooms have refrigerators and it was nice to be able to walk back to your room to get a beer instead of paying for them at the bar. One of the couples was "upgraded" to the deluxe room, it was nice had a jacuzzi tub but it was above the restaurant which wasn't too bad they said but I liked being able to walk out of my room to the beach and don't think I would use the jacuzzi tub enough.....however if they had a jacuzzi tub in a downstairs unit I would have been all over that!! :) They had drivers at the hotel and they actually arranged for our pick up at the airport for only $25 per person. With a group of 8 it was nice to be able to all go together and we actually used the driver throughout our trip to go to different restaurants and the different day trips we wanted to do. I would recommend going to YS Falls it was a great day, they have zip lining, tubing, and you can just play in the falls. I will post a picture of us at the falls. We did go to the Appleton Rum factory but it was a little pricey unless you can drink straight rum then it would be a deal. It was $25 per person it was interesting and a one time thing....but you can do the rum tour and the falls as a whole day trip. The other thing I would recommend is the Wild Thing snorkeling tour it was $65 per person and you got to snorkel and it was fun sailing on the boat and you got free drinks after snorkeling was finished. The room was just like the picture on the website I will post my picture of that too. Clive the lifeguard (who really is security) keeps the peddlers off the beach and will let you know who and who you shouldn't buy from. He will also set up your chairs every day if you tip him :) he is a really nice guy. The food was yummy at the hotel not cheap but really food isn't cheap anywhere. My favorite restaurant was the RockHouse it was expensive but I had the hugest most delicious lobster of my life. It was only $42 but then with all the cocktails it was a pricey night! Of course we had our fill of Jerk Chicken and Patties (these are the jamaican version of hot pockets and are yummy) I also got a wonderful massage twice from Connie, she is in the empty lot by the hotel don't be alarmed she is the best....it was supposed to be $20 for a half hour but both times I went it was an hour!! WONDERFUL!!!!! OK this is getting long....if you have any questions feel free to email me!! :) I would go back every year but the group wants to still try out new places so maybe I will have to go back another time without them!!

2 Thank VacationLover43

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

I am from Jamaica, living in Boston and recently went to Jamaica for my daughter's wedding.
During a visit to Negril, I met the owner of the Charela Inn, Mr. Grisel. He helped me plan a wonderful trip for my daughter's honeymoon for me to give her as a present.

The Charela Inn was the perfect place! Mr. Grisel helped me plan an inclusive hotel and meal package that was a great value. The restaurant there, La Vendome, Jamaican and French is unsurpassed and worth a visit on its own.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bingy010
baltimore, maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

My husband and I booked our stay at Charela Inn last year while we were on vacation in Negril. Even though the hotel grounds are in desperate need of repair and gardening, we were impressed with the beautiful beach, spacious rooms and lovely restaurant. There's no doubt that the beach is one of the best in Negril; it's clean, well-maintained and for a generous tip to the security guard, your chaise will be reserved for you daily (otherwise, good luck!). The water there is calm, clear and inviting; no complaints!

We reserved one of the super deluxe rooms, overlooking the sea. We had been shown one when we visited last year and were impressed with the size of the bright, airy bathroom, complete with bidet. Unfortunately, our room, 314, and more specifically, our bathroom, was in dire need of repair; there were many cracked tiles, the bidet was improperly installed and never, ever had a chance of working, the commode as well as the tub and shower were raised on a tile platform 8 inches above the floor (a huge threat to anyone with joint problems, etc.!), the electrical outlet would not accommodate the hair dryer that the hotel provided (which meant you had to dry your hair in the hallway!), and the clothes closet was in the bathroom, which caused our clothing to always have a slightly damp feeling to it (fortunately, no odor!). None of the rooms are numbered and on several occasions we had unexpected visitors (once while I was in the midst of drying my hair!). The breezeways outside the rooms are tiled and extremely slippery during the rain (one gentleman fell right outside our door on the sloped pathway and cut himself severely). While there was a coffee maker provided, you weren't always guaranteed to have coffee, and never sugar or creamer. The little fridge was fine, along with the very small t.v. Our view from our balcony was lovely; however, there was nowhere to hang your wet bathing suit and we noticed quite a few people hung their towels and clothing over their railings. We felt the cost of this particular room was not at all justified; you may want to consider a less expensive unit should you decide to stay here.

The restaurant is well appointed and has seating outside for those who wish to smoke, etc. Be prepared to wait a minimum of one hour for anything you order, whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner. We opted for a 3-day all inclusive plan and figure we spent at least 8-9 hours of our trip simply waiting for food and drinks. I'd strongly suggest going the room service route for at least breakfast and asking for your lunch to be served on the beach (you can always switch back to a table if you so decide!). The food is only fair and is somewhat inconsistent; unfortunately, quite a bit of it was inedible; whatever you do, don't order salmon; you will live to regret it!!!

In conclusion, I wouldn't consider Charela the worst hotel we've ever stayed in; I just wouldn't recommend it after seeing what else is available in the same area - nicer accommodations, same gorgeous beach, much less expensive rates.

3 Thank rtgaway
Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2011

I'm not normally a person who likes to go to the same country twice, let alone the same hotel, but there's something about Negril and the Charela Inn. Again we had a beachfront room on the ground floor which we liked a lot. We will probably try a 2nd floor room next time to be able to keep the window/door open at night to enjoy the breezes. The location of this place can't be beat - right in the middle of Negril's great beach. Lots of shade under the palm trees. But what's really special here are the people - Clive who takes care of things on the beach, Nicola who took care of us in the restaurant and the new bartender Delroy who'd only been there a week but fit right in... all made our stay memorable. Janice, who gives massages on the beach is truly heaven sent. She sings spirituals/hymns quietly while you enjoy one of the most wonderful massages in a beautiful place. The restaurant, offers great meals using locally sourced ingredients from their farm and local producers. It's not the cheapest meal on the beach but definitely rates right up there with some of the competition on the West End (Ivan's, Rockhouse). We like to walk the beach, grab b'fast somewhere, enjoy a cheap lunch of jerk or patties on the beach and save our appetites for some great meals at Vendome. The clientele is a bit older, many from Europe, but families with children are also well served here with easy beach access and a nice pool in the garden. We loved our stay and can't wait to go back.

1 Thank sailorgirlmn
Saskatchewan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

We just returned from the Charela Inn and we loved Negril.
The Beach
The beach at this resort is incredible. We always had a beach chair/towel waiting for us everyday. The beach is spacious, very well maintained and has both shade and plenty of sunshine. The beach security does not allow any stragglers or local people to enter the property. The sea water is picturesque, very calm, and a great place to cool off.
This could be a downside or an upside but there are European travelers at this hotel so there are many topless women. There was a family there with young teenagers and they felt very uncomfortable with these girls bouncing around topless ... so it may not be a place you want to stay at if you are with your family or not comfortable with that.
The Garden Room
We stayed in a garden room which was very nice. The room was clean, bed was comfortable, there was a mini fridge (kept our beer cold) and the water pressure/hot water worked well. My only complaint was that we stayed in room 210 and the balcony was not private we had 2 other rooms/ppl all stuck in a corner so it was a bit uncomfortable at times.
The Restaurant/Bar
We had a few good meals at the restaurant. Breakfast was Ok but it is a bit overpriced compared to other places on the beach. We enjoyed the pasta and pizza for dinner. The food service is very slow. The bar is way too overpriced so we went across the street and bought Red Stripe from a small store kept them in our fridge. And/or we would walk to other beach bars for Happy Hour.
There are many places to stay on Seven Mile Beach so I would likely try another hotel in the future, but I would definitely try and stay around this area as the beach is one of the best on 7 mile.

1 Thank Saskgirl
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

Just returned from another among many holiday stays at the Charela Inn. It always feels like home away from home for us. The Charela is run like a charming Inn on the beach with the owners in residence which really sets itself aside from typical hotels in the area.
The entire staff is extremely friendly, professional and only wish to satisfy your every need in order to make your stay as pleasurable as possible.
The meals are some of the best in Negril. The beach is certainly the best in Jamaica allowing for quiet, many palm trees for shade, and beach attendants for any help and security. The gardens and landscaping are beautifully attended and our room facing the sea is always dreamlike especially at sunset.
Thanks to all for making our vacation, once again, cozy and memorable.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cestlabellevie
Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Charela Inn and cannot provide enough good comments. Everything from the facilities, to the food and service were top notch!

With regards to the rooms, I would definitely recommend a sea view room. The view and ability to sleep with the doors open listening to the waves break each night made up for any additional cost. I had a 2nd floor room away from the restaurant/bar and would request the same room again. It was cleaned / refreshed every day when I returned from the beach.

The Charela beach is ideal. The lounge chairs are comfortable and set far enough back from the beach that you are not constantly hassled by "vendors." There are plenty of palm trees for shade as well.

I never ate dinner at the Charela, however, lunch and breakfast were delicious. The callaloo and homemade breads were some of the best treats I had while in Negril.

On top of it all - the service was flawless. Everyone had a smile and ensured that your day was going well.

My comments could drag on, but I will leave it simple ... Charela Inn = Jamaican Perfection!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo