“The Best in Negril”

Charela Inn / Le Vendome
Ranked #24 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Well we have been staying @ the Charela in Negril since June 2007. We always go during the end of April or in early May. We just love it there, for many reasons. I guess 1st it would be the staff, 2nd would be the food. Since we always go all-inclusive. You get 3 meals a day plus afternoon tea if you would like it. & of course all the alcoholic drinks that you would like. Morning till night. We have never had a bad meal there. Plus the thing that I really enjoy about it is there is sit down service, no buffets!. That goes for breakfast too. 1st of all the staff know you by name and greet you in the morning. You sit down to a very filling breakfast, with homemade croissants and bread.

Then you can go out to the beach, where they have a beach boy to put your chairs where you want them. After you tell him where you would like your chairs he has them ready for you & set up to where you want the 2nd day. The nice thing about their beach is that they have more palm trees on their beach then any other hotel on 7 mile beach. So if you want to be in the shade there is no problem. If you want to be in the sun there is no problem. The nice thing about palm trees is that you have shade all day. Yes, you might have to move your chair around, but you still have shade through out the day. They don't have umbrellas, which I'm glad about because as the sun moves you are in direct sun light. You can walk up & down the beach & see all the places that have umbrellas & no palm trees.

The next thing is the water. How beautiful the water is. The sand on the beach is like walking through powder sugar. Very soft. You can sit on the beach & see forever how clear the water is. Such a light turquoise blue. The are no waves, you can just walk right into the water. There is no drop off, you walk in & keep on walking on powdered sand. No shells, no rocks, no sea weed. Just soft sand which you can see all the way to the bottom. In the late afternoon you can go out into the water & see star fish on the bottom of the sand. What a beautiful site that is. You are not allowed to pick them up & keep them though. They will tell you to put them back into the water before they die. Which I think is a nice thing, because they care about the environment. When we 1st went down there I picked them up & brought them back onto the beach so I could take them home. That's when I was told you aren't allowed to keep them, & you probably wouldn't make it through customs @ the airport. Not only do you see the star fish @ this time of year but you also get to see the sting rays that come swimming through the water. What a site it is to see.

For dinner, they have the regular menu that you can choose from, but they also have their specialties.They have a menu sat out in the late afternoon on what they are going to be serving for that nights dinner special. It is usually fish, seafood or a meat of some kind that you get to choose from, if you are all-inclusive. Remember that you get an appetizer, salad, soup, entree, & a home made dessert. By the time you finish your meal, I could never eat dessert. But you could always take it back to your room & put it into your refrigerator that each room has. You can fill your fridge up with water, beer, food what ever your heart desires.

I know that everyone says that you shouldn't do all-inclusive. That you should get around to the different restaurants. But I say "why go out to get hamburger, when you have filet migon @ home"? I would like to try other restaurants for dinner, even though I have all-inclusive. But normally I am so beat by dinner, I can hardly keep my eyes open.

Let's talk about the rooms.....I'm not saying this is a 4 star resort in anyway. I agree that the rooms need to be updated. But being a 3 star resort, & their beach & food being as good as it is. I don't really have a problem with the rooms. I'm only in there to sleep. So if the closets doors don't close. It isn't a real problem with me. Because I am saving so......much money, including food. I don't have anything to complain about. The food is excellent, the beach is superb.

The other nice thing about this hotel is that there are not that many rooms. Imagine staying @ a hotel that has 200+ rooms. & the hotel is fully booked. That means that there will be 400+ people laying out on the beach! Like sardines in a tin can. Laying right next to each other on the beach. Who is going to be laying out in the sun? Or who is going to have an umbrella that you only have till the sun moves again? Then everyone piles into the restaurant @ one time. Not my cup of tea!

O.K. now to the staff....there is nothing that I can say bad about them! They are all courteous, polite, & kind. They will go out of their way to make sure that you are satisfied. You are greeted by Minel, who will take your bags up to your room. @ the desk is Nadine or Carolyn whom you probably talked to on the phone, to secure your rooms. The wait staff in the morning for breakfast & lunch would be..Francella,Tamara,Deboror, not saying the others weren't the same. That's just who we had during our stay that took care of us in the morning & @ lunch. They also took care of our drink orders. Which I forgot they will bring them out to the beach for you. We haven't been there for 3 yrs. since I lost my job. But we returned this year the end of April the beginning of May 2013. Tamara was pregnant again when we returned this year. She was pregnant when we were there in 2010. You also have room service so if you wanted coffee sent to the room in the morning, like we do, there is no extra charge. The coffee was always there within 10 mins. after we called or less. You couldn't ask for better service.

Dinner starts @ 6:30 till 9:30 pm. Although when we were there, I thought they said till 10 pm. We had the same waitress while we were there, her name was Anassa. It was anything we wanted. Anything she could do to make us happy. Not that we were complainers in any way. But just for example we wanted a different appetizer that was not on the specialty menu & we ordered from their main menu. It never was a problem. You can even order a filet mignon & pay an extra cost of like $10 or $15 dollars. & the filet is made to your liking. Very tender, & juicy. Well worth the cost.

At the bar in the afternoon was Maxwell, & Ashley plus another women named Alice. They were there for dinner. Before & after dinner for drinks. They were great!! You can even get room service for your drinks if you want that. Which we used several times. There was nothing that we wanted that we didn't get. All you had to do was ask for it, & it was delivered!

Between their beach, water (that everyone has) on 7 mile beach. Their food, service & rooms. You couldn't ask for a better place!! That doesn't mean that I want everyone to come down @ the end of April & the 1st of May!! That would mean that you would be getting into my little piece of paradise!! So pick another time of the year that you would be going! Don't be going when I am there! It is pretty much quiet, & not that many people on the beach! Don't ruin my vacation!

But the owners of the hotel are so nice. They will come out to the beach & ask "how are you doing"? They also have their own table that they sit @ every night. They are well aware of what is going on @ their hotel. They have been owners of the hotel for years, & years. If you do have a problem with anything, you can call the front desk. They will have someone to your room asap, to solve the problem. If you still aren't satisfied you can always talk to the owner that is there @ his table every night. Although I never did that! Because I never really had any big problems. Plus I didn't want to interrupt his dinner. Who really wants to hear a complaint while they are eating dinner? Do you?

I always have a wonderful time while I am down there. I hope you do to!

3  Thank Juicy58
There are newer reviews for Charela Inn / Le Vendome

Reviewed 3 June 2013

In all my travels, rarely have I found the combination of great food, beautiful setting and fantastic service as I did at Charela Inn. The location was excellent, the staff were welcoming and very helpful and every meal was well prepared and tasty. I had a sea view room on the ground floor for 4 nights and loved every minute of the trip. Cabs were easy to call, so travel wasn't an issue and there was even a lovely little church across the way that I popped into for a reflective experience.I would recommend this hotel as a getaway to anyone who wants to step away from the flurry of life and just kick back and enjoy the sun, sea and sand....

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank ElizaBeth J
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed at Charela Inn from May 15th to the 22nd. This was our 6th trip to Jamaica. We have been to St. Martin, Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Antiqua and Puerto Rico. Husband has gone to Mexico, Thailand, Rio and Costa Rica. We stayed at Couples Swept Away twice, visited Couples Negril, stayed at Couples Sans Souci, rented a villa in Silver Sands in Duncans and stayed at Idle Awhile. Food was good at the all inclusives, but not enough Jamaican food. We love Jamaican food. The meals at the villa were fabulous, prepared for us by a wonderful in house cook. But we missed Negril. We love the beach, the water, that there are no tall buildings and that you can walk forever.
Couples resorts are wonderful. But we realized we were paying for many things that we never would do, like golf, scuba diving, water skiing, and not into the gym on vacation. Don’t drink fruity drinks. The glass bottom boat and catamaran cruise were nice, but twice was enough of that.
We were familiar with places along the beach and cliffs from our three previous trips. Beach setting is paramount. There are plenty of places that might be ok to stay but the beach front is marred by fencing, not deep enough, buildings too close to the water line and so on. Having stayed next door at Idle Awhile and wanting an all-inclusive option we decided on Charela Inn. We had a great time.
Since the flights from NJ don’t get you to Negril until after 6 we decided to do a flight out of Philadelphia mid-week and do a stay, park and fly package. It worked out great and we were at Sangster by 10:30! We were up to counters and out of the building 15 minutes ahead of schedule, not a wait anywhere. The transportation arranged by the hotel worked out great. We checked in, left our bags in the room and headed to the restaurant for lunch by 12:30. Our vacation in Negril was off to a great start!
We did the all-inclusive option, since my husband had been in Thailand for 8.5 weeks prior to our trip and he just did not want to deal with anything much. It was beyond our expectations.
Resort/Beach: Small, but not too small, which we loved! Set between Idle Awhile and a vacant lot made our spot so quiet. Our spot on the beach was chosen and set up by wonderful staff and each day upon arrival to the beach, everything was ready for us. No scrambling for chairs. There is plenty of shade. We love that the sun sets in front of you so you get plenty of light until the sun disappears. The beach is what it is all about in Negril and this resort is on a prime location along the shore. We loved the wide spot Charela has on the beach and that the buoys enclose the swimming area around three resorts so that we had such a great swimming area. The water was fabulous, as always. One night at sunset we were amazed by the number of star fish on the ocean floor. We saw many sting rays, which was always a pleasant surprise. They keep the beach pristine. The lounges are comfortable and there are tables for everyone. Towels are not necessarily plush, but were more than fine.
The hotel itself was lovely, old world, lots of charm, a pleasant building to spend the day on the beach in front of. The generous amount of palms made the view room the room wonderful, sitting on the beach cool and the view from the water lovely. The building could use some maintenance on the gutters, when it rains there are leaks and the side entrance and balcony got puddles. Not a big thing, but an observation.

The staff will serve you drinks at your table on the beach. Each day we had them bring us a cappuccino on the beach at 11 am. They were great as was the espresso. All drinks are served in glassware everywhere on the resort, including the beach. It was nice to have my late afternoon red wine in stemware on the beach. One day it started to rain while we were having lunch and the beach staff gathered up all our belongings and brought them to us at our table. Service was very attentive and pleasant.
The courtyard was lovely as were the grounds. The pool was very nice and we spent two afternoons enjoying some time there. But it is all about the beach.
Check in/Front desk: We arrived and our room was ready. The staff person was not the friendliest, but they took care of us right away and we were off with the bell person to our room in no time. When the gentleman opened the door to our room I gasped at the view. It was surreal, just gorgeous. Since we did the all-inclusive option we did not get back to the front desk except for an afternoon trip off the resort and they arranged a ride for our trip to Boardwalk Village and Ricks. Again, upon check out the desk person was not the friendliest, but at that point, we were heading home, so who cared. Have to say this is the one flaw in the whole place. Seems to me the first and last person you deal with at a resort should be the most outgoing.
Rooms: We had a Beachfront Jr. Suite. There are two. On the advice of a poster on TA I wrote the hotel prior to our trip to request that we be assigned the one with the larger balcony, which we were placed in. No one ever came to the other room during our stay so it was a very quiet, private location. These rooms are above the bar area, but in all honestly it was great, and noise was never an issue. We have requested to move from beach front rooms due to the “action”, not so here. The location of our room cut into our beach time, since we could just head to our room to enjoy the sunset, which was nice. The room was immaculate and cleaned early each day. We loved the balcony, the two double doors, the lovely bed, and the linens where very nice, the seating area was a great spot to spend late night, and a nice large bathroom. The Jacuzzi tub was a nice diversion on a rainy afternoon. We never heard anything at night but the tree frogs, lovely. It seems as if the traffic on the boulevard has calmed down and the honking has abated since our first two trips.
Our room was clean and bright. We loved the high wooden ceilings. The two ceiling fans were great. The furniture was simple and lovely. The fridge was cold. The slats were great for being able to keep air moving when we wanted privacy but did not want the air on. The air conditioning was great. We usually travel in Jan/Feb so for travel in May it was welcomed on occasion.
We are not young, anymore, so we have done our share of traveling. My husband travels extensively for his work. We were very happy and at home with our room at Charela. We loved the marble floors, the slate outside. We would have liked better outside seating as the plastic chairs were not the best. So we spent more time sitting with the doors open and in the seating area of the suite. Wish they would change it up and give the same seating in these rooms as they do on all the others on the balconies.
The bar/restaurant: The staff was great. They were pleasant, helpful, quick and unobtrusive while still being attentive. I really enjoyed their service, and they went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and special. I am not in the habit of hugging staff prior to leaving a resort, but did so here. They went out of their way to know our names and our likes. Service was totally professional and friendly.
The all-inclusive plan was breakfast, off the menu, lunch, off the menu, dinner, a pre-set 5 course dinner with a choice of one of two entrees. I had read that you can substitute if either entree where not to your liking. Every night there was something on the menu that suited us. Breakfast was juice, coffee, fruit plate, basket of bread and "pastries"....a sweet and eggs, anyway...including omelets or French toast, bacon, sausage or ham or Jamaican breakfast. We also ordered croissants. Lunch included your choice of pizzas, salads, Jamaican meals - enjoyed goat, chicken & pork, sandwiches, sides and dessert. Dinner was different every night, included wonderful soups, appetizers that were varied and delicious (ex. salmon nest, seafood in cream sauce in puff pastry, achee-salt fish and bammy, veggie patty), their incredible house salad (which I had each day at lunch as well) and entrée (ex. Jamaican chicken, grilled salmon, grilled seafood platter, beef tenderloin - was unbelievable, fish in coconut sauce, shrimp) and dessert. They have an extensive selection of desserts. All good. They make their own ice cream and sorbets which were great, as were the homemade cookies served with them. Their baked goods are done in house and are really good. All drinks are included, except whiskeys. So instead of scotch we had rum on the rocks to end the day, plus we bought a bottle of scotch at the duty free on our way. Their frozen drinks were VERY good. I never get them out, not a fan of sweet, they make them without that simple syrup that I had such a hard time getting them to do at CSA. The wines included were very good; we especially enjoyed the white wine. We were pleasantly surprised by the plan.
You can do the plan for a minimum of three days. You can also do just the meal plan for one, two or three meals. We paid $70 per day for the all-inclusive....that was for both of us! Can't beat that. Their pre fixe dinner is priced according to the meal, which varied from 28 pp to 60 pp. Portions are very generous. We wound up splitting things because we did not want to be wasteful. As the week went on our server started having them make portions on my plate smaller as I let her know that I was only going to have half of everything. It was just too much food. Instead of the usual main and two sides, there were often three or four sides to accompany the main dish. We never had anything that was not delicious. Oh, one night they had okra, which I am not a fan of and just did not eat it, husband liked it just fine.
The all-inclusive plan includes gratuities, but we happily added a tip for the bellman, with each meal, when staff delivered drinks to our table on the beach and gave the beach staff a tip each day, since he set things up for us so nicely each day. We left a tip in the room for the cleaning staff that did such a great job each day! No one at any time appeared to expect a tip and all were very gracious in their acceptance.
We love Jamaican food and have loved our meals at Cosmos, Kuybya, Rockhouse, Pushcart, Ivans, Chill Awhile, Xtabie, Best of the West, Niahs. This is one of the things we missed at the meals at CSA and why we ventured out, but we feel this was a great compromise. Kind of nice not having to head out in a cab. But with the location there are lots of walkable places and heck, the cliff establishments are great, so who knows how we will feel next time. But for this trip it was great. You can sit inside under a fan, outside under the awning or under the stars. They had a nice sound track playing most nights and the entertainment on Thursday and Sat night was great. They have nice lighting in the restaurant, colorful cloth tablecloths and napkins and flowers on the tables for dinner.
Though the hotel was not busy there did seem to be lots of walk ins for dinner each evening. Especially on the evenings when there was entertainment. Service remained steady regardless of the number of diners. Folks danced at the Thursday show, which was great to see!
Vendors: No problem!
Miscellaneous:
The massage hut between Idle Awhile and Charela offered a nice massage for a great price.
This was a trip to spend time by ourselves. We did not mingle much but the other guests were pleasant and a nice good morning greeting started our days.
We went over to Boardwalk Village which looks very nice and has some great little shops. We especially liked the Beach White shop, which had some very nice beach wear. We each got a shirt. They were very welcoming and helpful. I was happy to see the one area of Negril that we had not visited. They are doing lots of work on what used to be Seashore Bay Resort. It did not look like it was open for business at this point. From the plans for that property and Breezes, now Grand Lido, it looks like there will be a new level of resorts in Negril. We prefer the smaller, more casual places.
It is very quiet in Negril in May.
We will be back to Negril for sure. Working on getting a group set up for Jamaica 2014 and feel that Charela Inn will be a perfect spot for our trip.

5  Thank jcjcnj
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed at Charela Inn for 5 nights in December, 2013. I was in a oceanview room on the ground floor. The room itself was very nice, plenty of space, and nicely furnished. The best part, however, was the patio with table and chairs, just steps away from the beautiful beach. I spent hours on the patio, watching and listening to the waves roll in. About 80% of the clientele around Christmas-time are returning families, who spend every Christmas/New Year's at Charela. I met some wonderful people during my stay. The Jazz night (Thurs evenings) was awesome and the food at the restaurant, La Vendome, was very good. The beach was, by far, the best stretch of sand along on 7-mile beach. Very wide and people watching was fantastic. I brought juice and/or fruit every morning from the vendors and enjoyed them along with my coffee and rum cream on my patio for breakfast. I very much enjoyed my stay and had been home only 5 days before I booked for next Christmas!

Room Tip: The oceanview rooms are great. Unbelievably close to the beach and water. Sitting on the patios/balc...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank MavMaiden
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at Charela Inn for a change recently, usually staying in the West End in recent years. The grounds and pool were very nice and well-kept and I liked the lay-out of the property. The room was just okay, I would have really liked a more comfortable bed, it was hard as a rock! It was nice to have a tub but it had no stopper so we had to improvise when I wanted to take a bath. I agree with others that a coffeemaker in the room would have been really nice as well. The A/C worked but only had one speed, so it was ON or OFF. It was quite loud (not bad at night but not good for conversation) We got really cold during the night, then we would turn it off and then get hot. We were in an upstairs room, not beach side and really enjoyed the the balcony, lots of birds to watch and listen to. No table and chairs inside so we dragged the one from the balcony inside to eat take away dinner in the cool, bug free room. It's on the BEST part of the beach, and the beach area was one of the best around.

1  Thank gointonegril
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Really loved this place, its exactly what we wanted, quiet, small, nice place on the beach. Restaurant was good, loved the Jamaican omlete for breakfast, nice people.
Rooms could be little bit cleaner..but otherwise all was very nice.
Not close to the 'center', so you need to take taxi, but really there is nothing to do in the 'center'. Walk on the beach and just relax.

Room Tip: had ground floor room and I think its the best overlooking the beach (if there are no neighbours wit...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MalikaEp
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We love the Charela. I have spent a lot of time in Negril and explored different accommodation options. The Charela is the best choice for our family with 2 children aged 8 and 9. The kids can swim in the pool/ocean and explore the wide stretch of beach complete with beautiful palm trees to provide shade. There is entertainment a couple of nights, but we tend to eat our evening meals up on the cliffs at Rockhouse/Pushcart etc. Most of the restaurants will send a car to collect you and only charge for the return trip. The Charela is a good choice if you love Negril but want to avoid the smoking/hard drinking that seems to be part of many other guests holiday.

The staff are great - very helpful and polite and they remember your preferences. We were complemented on our children's behaviour many times which made the kids feels confident, welcomed and relaxed. The new beach attendant was very helpful and friendly, an improvement on our last visit. We also took some long trips with Wayne, who can be booked thru the hotel as a driver, he was brilliant and comes highly recommended.

We'll be back soon, we hope.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family