“The Charela is a small family Inn overlooking the gorgeous Caribbean Sea - you want to come back again and again!”

Charela Inn / Le Vendome
Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Detroit area
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We have stayed at the Charela many times over the years. It is predictable. A warm reception, A beautiul location, enjoyable food and a parade that passes you by each morning.. First the juice man walks down the beach with fresh juice.. then the Fruit lady with the basket of fresh fruit on her head.. then mid day, the patty man comes by on his bicycle and last, another bicycle but this time with fresh ice cream.

The Charela with its warm and charm makes you want to return.. almost always .. as soon as you leave to return home.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank dashleyphoto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Hungarian first
Newtown, CT USA
Reviewed 9 October 2010

This was our first trip to Jamiaca, and to be honest...we were a bit hesitant. When we arrived in Negril we thought that we had died and gone to Heaven!! The Charela Inn was a small quiet inn with wonderful friendly staff, great rooms and the MOST wonderful food we have ever eaten....If you are looking for nightlife and "organized" activities this is NOT the place for you!! BUT...if you are looking to unwind on the most beautiful beach, feed some local fish and eat massive amounts of French food (read GARLIC!), and befirend the other guests...then this is the place for you. Try it and you will never go any where else....We can't WAIT to go back!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BetsyKNewtown_CTUSA
Saint Albans, Vermont
Reviewed 8 October 2010

My wife and I spent Sunday, Sept 19 thru the following Thursday at this resort. We left early Friday morning, 9/24/10. We were celebrating an anniversary.
From the beginning we were treated like "special Guests". Not only since
we were the only guests the first nite, but throughout our stay.
Nadine was truly outstanding from our initial emails right through to the
time we departed. I cannot say enough about her. I just love her. She was
always friendly, professional, and extremely helpful. Plus a beautiful smile.You are very lucky to
have someone of her caliber on your staff.
Franchella, in the restaurant, was also very friendly, helpful and kind.
The bellhop and other staff were always, very, very helpful going out of their way to help.
We really appreciated the upgrade to the Seaview Deluxe room. It made our
stay very comfortable and special. We will recommend your hotel to anyone
and everyone we can who will visit your beautiful island.
Thank you for a wonderful vacation. We recently completed our whirlwind travels, taking advantage of Jet Blue's Promotion where we could travel from 9/07/10 thru 10/06/10 for one price. I have to say the customer service here at Charela was the best and we travelled to Las Vegas, Long Beach, CA., Boston, and New Orleans.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VermontMark24
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We visited Charela Inn for a week in July (17-25), myself, husband and four-year old daughter. We have been visiting this hotel for almost ten years now. We stayed in a ground level sea view room that had been recently remodeled. The room was very nice, had two queen beds, a small sitting area and a patio with a small table and chairs and a walkway to the beach. It was ocean view. We were pleased with the room, but thought the bathroom was a little too basic looking for such a pretty room.

We were on the MAP plan which includes breakfast and dinner and was free for for our daughter. The only thing not included were drinks, all drinks, even soda and juice. We enjoyed the food very much as we always do. The breakfast included pretty much anything you wanted, fruit, coffee. tea, juice, toast and pastries, eggs, bacon, french toast, etc...all good, and Francella made me fresh mint tea each day which I brought back to my room to put in the fridge so I could have iced tea...delicious. The dinners are all five course, an appetizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert and they will substitute pretty much anything to make you happy.

The grounds were well kept, pool clean (and we used it a lot), and despite a previous poster's comments, the hotel was very welcoming to a friend of ours who visited us one day. In fairness to the hotel, they know our friend through us for over ten years as well. The beach was spotless and Clive, who works the beach, always made sure we had our chairs and towels. There were shows on Thursday and Saturday, which were very nice relaxing shows with local musicians.

Overall, we were happy with our stay and must give due to the wonderful restaurant staff that welcomes us every year like family and treats us like royalty...nothing is too much ask...and they even catered to my little one, which was wonderful. They served us rooms service countless times when table dining became too boring for our little one. They do claim to have wireless, but it is very poor...we did however pick up the hotel next door with no problem every day. There are some ants around, after all it is a tropical area...no more than you would expect...oh yes, the beds are HARD, always have been, so be prepared!

I would like to note a few observations I made about Negril on this trip, and they are in no way a reflection on the hotel, but may be of interest to people reading this review. There were TONS of jellyfish in the water, so much that we could not really swim in it and this was very disappointing because we have been traveling to Negril for 13 years, during all seasons, and NEVER encountered a jellyfish, even though we were sure they were around somewhere, they were never a nuisance or noticable...we always looked forward to spending hours in the water, hunting starfish, crabs and other sea life...we did not get to do that this time. We even decided not to do a boat trip as we always do in fear of the jellys...we were all stung, me twice, as were all of the other guests we spoke to. In addition, we found the area to be a bit more expensive than the in past, for things like jerk chicken and souvenirs, a result of the sagging economy no doubt. If you do visit the area, be sure to see Sandra next door for great braids and massage and the young man who sells delicious baked goods on the beach...fresh and delish...I forgot his name though, but he is the only one with baked goods. If you do choose to visit Negril, Charela is a solid choice, but in my years of visiting there, I can share that the rooms vary greatly, some quite beautiful and some very basic, for no general reason and sometimes within the same category, one room may be way nicer than another..if you get a room you don't like, ask for a new one, or request a remodeled room when you book. Generally, I have found the garden and family rooms to be very basic and the front building rooms to be much better. Just a tip. Oh yes, and they have a cliff location as well that guests can use, but we couldn't because they don't allow children due to the fact that nudity is allowed there. Please feel free to private message if you have any questions.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank TarahDee
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2010

My wife and I just returned from a 7 night stay at the Charela Inn Hotel and found all controllable aspects of our stay very enjoyable. There were a couple of things that were simply out of the control of the hotel that dampened our stay to some degree. It rained 5 out of the 7 days we were there, albeit not all day, but it became a nuisance. Also, the jelly fish kept us out of the water most of the time. Fortunately, the pool was serviceable. Keep in mind that July is when the jelly fish is most present and is considered part of the rainy season, which we were not aware of. The staff was very accommodating and very friendly; however, one service they could have provided was taking the pool net and scooping out all of the jelly fish on a daily basis as all guests were stung at least once. I was stung twice in the same day. Despite the rain and jellyfish, I would recommend this hotel. It is clean and is on the best part of the beach. The pan handlers do get bothersome as you walk the beach and "maryjoe" is prevalent everywhere, but the waters, minus the jellyfish, are pristine and you can see clearly to the bottom. We also saw the "community" stingray. Fish and starfish were also observed along the beach. We sampled the different cuisine in the area and found the Charela Inn's restaurant was very expensive. Minimum cost for dinner for two people would be $35-$40US. We also found Margaretville to be expensive and non-authentic. There are a few places on the beach that are reasonable and authentic. There is also Best in the West Jerk across the street from the hotel that makes good jerk chicken, lobster and fish and is affordable. You just have to do take out. We chose the breakfast plan, but could not justify the breakfast and dinner plan simply due to the cost, value, and availability of other eateries in the area. I am confident you will enjoy the Charela Inn. Clive was out every morning raking the sand and putting the beach chairs in place, while Francella and Debbie provided great service. Never had issues with the availability of beach chairs. There was also plenty of shade under the many palm and coconut trees, but you still need sun block. When we come back to Negril, we will be staying at the Charela Inn.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank liveforhim1
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 25 July 2010

We stayed in Charela Inn for 4 nights just to get some time on the beach. The location was AMAZING, staff were friendly and the room was relatively nice for the price we paid.

Our problem was the quality of the food and the lack of choice nearby. I cannot understand how this place has such a good reputation for it's food, it fills it purpose if you only eat to get full as portions are large. Food was 10 times better in the other hotels we stayed and in roadside restaurants. I tried the fish which was tasteless and overcooked, the prawn pasta which was just bland, chicken which was dry + the same garlic drenched lettuce everyday. They seemed to do some kind of french theme but there was nothing french about it at all - just massive portions without taste. And the breakfast...$4 for four pieces of fruits??!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annabanan
Atlanta
Reviewed 18 July 2010

I guess I am eligible to write this review. We made reservations for Charela and actually arrived at Charela, checked-in, stayed about two hours and checked-out. We reserved the garden view double room. It was a bit of a disappointment given that we visited during the summer months and Charela's rates were still higher than most everyone else and the room wasn't very impressive.

We arrived at the hotel and I can say the lady who greeted us was less than friendly and void of any warmth. Most likely because we had ONE local friend with us who helped us in with our luggage. I don't think she even said hello before barking out that "he" couldn't go to the room. I explained he was going to help us up with our luggage and switch some items then we were going to walk two hotels down the road to the place where our local friend would be staying. I also explained that when I made the reservation, I called not once but twice to explain that we would have a local friend visiting. So after all of this the staff person allowed our friend up to the room to drop off the bags and to switch out some items in the bags.

I told her he had ID if needed and that I would be personally responsible and we wouldn't be long.

Normally, I might have been inclined to just let it slide and not let it bother me. But after that less than warm greeting, to get to the room and be disappointed with that as well. It just made me angry all over again.

We go through the garden, up a narrow stair case, down a narrow hall that has a big fencelike thing (hiding machinery or something) staring at you as soon as you walk out of your room. We go to the room (no room numbers on doors). The door opens to a VERY small, dim room. Even when the lights finally started working it was still a very dark dreary room. The air conditioning unit seemed to be on its last leg. The bathroom was a joke. It was very outdated and nothing spectacular at all.

Me and my friends all kinda had this look on our face and decided to make the best of it and just get through it.

We ask about door keys and were given ONE old fashioned door key. We were told we would get only ONE key.

We left the room and walked outside to get some fresh air and light. We walked through a bar area and out to beach. It was such a pretentious place. It felt like everyone in the bar/restaurant area literally stopped what they were doing and watched us.

We headed back up to the room and got some things to walk our friend to his hotel two doors down. We got to the other hotel (read my review for the hotel we stayed at July 3 - July 7th). When we saw that room we knew we couldn't stay at Charela. We had paid less for this hotel ($82 night and got upgraded to Jr. Suite and paid $147 for Charela, the normal rate for Jr. Suite on a special was $126 total). I called my travel agent and ask what would the penalty be for short stay at Charela. I was told one night. It was worth it to me to not be stuck there. I had the agent call Charela to facilitate the credit and we checked out. Three of us slept in the Jr. Suite at the other place and had plenty of space, even for a 4th person that visited during the day. Plus we got free breakfast everyday!

I would have hated my stay if I had been stuck in the room at Charela.

I think Charela has upgraded rooms that might be nicer but for $147 in the Summer they should have been able to offer alot better than we got in the way of a room and service.

The other hotel was incredibly accommodating in adding an additional guest to the reservation and to any visitors we had during the day. I understand that safety is an important thing but there is a way to do everything. Charela wasn't concerned about safety they were just pretentious and not friendly to locals. I don't even understand how they can be so pretentious because it wasn't even that nice of a place from what I saw. And sometimes it isn't WHAT you say but HOW you say it.

I can certainly afford more but wanted to try something different than all inclusive. I also visit many times per year and try to alternate splurges with more budget friendly places.

On another note, we did walk back to Charela reluctantly for dinner one night. The restaurant was VERY good. Still a definite snooty vibe about the place but the food was undeniably very good.

The location is the only other positive thing I can find.

The reviews on TA for Charela are very good so I can't explain that one. I certainly have a few theories but won't get into to that here. I wasn't expecting the Ritz but didn't find anything about our particular room that was charming, quaint or romantic. Even if the room had been large but older I could have survived. But it was so tiny, dark, hot and outdated on top of that. It just didn't work for me and certainly wasn't worth $147 per night.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends