“I love this place”

Charela Inn / Le Vendome
Ranked #25 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We have been coming to Charela for over 25 years and have been there at Christmas for the past 7 years. The hotel is a charming inn in the middle of the nicest stretch of beach in Negril. The wide expanse of beach in front of the hotel lets you have a nice spot under the palm trees without being crowded.

Don't go to Charela expecting 5 star luxury. What you will find is one of the most picturesque spots in the Carribean. The staff is incredibly friendly and have been there for years. Go for the beachfront units and have a wonderful view from the balcony or first floor patio; all at an affordable price. There are 3 deluxe rooms look over the outdoor restaurant and the beach. Although these rooms have the nicest bathrooms, I find they can be noisy and prefer the rooms away from the bar and restaurant.

The restaurant has great food. Service, like most places in Jamaica, can be slow. On many nights, Charela has musical entertainment for your dining under the stars.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LovestoTravelmn

Reviewed 28 December 2010

I was not sure when I booked with a touroperator but since we arrive, everything went so good! they kept us dinner due to the delay of our flight. Location is incredible, in front ot beach and with a lifeguard. Food was incredible and the waitress so nice.
I would like to come back one day!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Macian1982
Reviewed 16 December 2010

My husband and I just returned from a six-night stay at Charela. We enjoyed this quiet, low key hotel. It is an old time Jamaican hotel with great ambiance. The beachfront is wide and deep,with lots of palm trees for shade, by far the best beachfront on Long Bay Beach, away from the constant foot traffic. The restaurant is outstanding with local fresh produce at every meal, excellent service and quality baking as well. I love red snapper, I could eat it everyday, and Charela offers it in a fish salad for lunch, in the delicious fish pasta, and in other more traditional Jamaican variations for dinner. Best in the West for jerk chicken is across the street, to the left as you exit the hotel entrance.
We have been to Negril before, so we know what to expect as far as the parade of people selling their wares on the beach. Negril is not for everyone, and it can sometimes be overwhelming depending on who you encounter on your walks on the beach and if you let things get out of your control. People are just trying to make a living and some don't accept a simple "no, thank you" for an answer.
The oceanview rooms at this hotel are the best bet, in my opinion, with a nice sized covered balcony on the second floor. I prefer the second floor rooms away from the restaurant. I like the palm trees that provide some privacy on the balcony, and you can hear the ocean waves with the windows open, such a peaceful way to nod off to sleep at night. The gardenview rooms have the same covered balcony and appeared to be about the same size. The friendly staff work very hard to make your experience at Charela enjoyable.
The rooms are small, very clean and comfortable. There is a phone in the room to reach the front desk and restaurant for room service. The king sized bed was a little too hard for me but my husband loved it. The hairdryer was broken in my room and I was not able to get a working one while I was there. The bathroom, although old, had a newer adjustable handheld/wall mounted showerhead with great water pressure and plenty of hot water. We never used the air conditioner while we were there since there was always a cool breeze from the water.
Charela is quiet, low key and delightful. It was just what I needed on this trip to Jamaica.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lscnj
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We have stayed at the Charela many times over the years. It is predictable. A warm reception, A beautiul location, enjoyable food and a parade that passes you by each morning.. First the juice man walks down the beach with fresh juice.. then the Fruit lady with the basket of fresh fruit on her head.. then mid day, the patty man comes by on his bicycle and last, another bicycle but this time with fresh ice cream.

The Charela with its warm and charm makes you want to return.. almost always .. as soon as you leave to return home.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank dashleyphoto
Reviewed 9 October 2010

This was our first trip to Jamiaca, and to be honest...we were a bit hesitant. When we arrived in Negril we thought that we had died and gone to Heaven!! The Charela Inn was a small quiet inn with wonderful friendly staff, great rooms and the MOST wonderful food we have ever eaten....If you are looking for nightlife and "organized" activities this is NOT the place for you!! BUT...if you are looking to unwind on the most beautiful beach, feed some local fish and eat massive amounts of French food (read GARLIC!), and befirend the other guests...then this is the place for you. Try it and you will never go any where else....We can't WAIT to go back!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BetsyKNewtown_CTUSA
Reviewed 8 October 2010

My wife and I spent Sunday, Sept 19 thru the following Thursday at this resort. We left early Friday morning, 9/24/10. We were celebrating an anniversary.
From the beginning we were treated like "special Guests". Not only since
we were the only guests the first nite, but throughout our stay.
Nadine was truly outstanding from our initial emails right through to the
time we departed. I cannot say enough about her. I just love her. She was
always friendly, professional, and extremely helpful. Plus a beautiful smile.You are very lucky to
have someone of her caliber on your staff.
Franchella, in the restaurant, was also very friendly, helpful and kind.
The bellhop and other staff were always, very, very helpful going out of their way to help.
We really appreciated the upgrade to the Seaview Deluxe room. It made our
stay very comfortable and special. We will recommend your hotel to anyone
and everyone we can who will visit your beautiful island.
Thank you for a wonderful vacation. We recently completed our whirlwind travels, taking advantage of Jet Blue's Promotion where we could travel from 9/07/10 thru 10/06/10 for one price. I have to say the customer service here at Charela was the best and we travelled to Las Vegas, Long Beach, CA., Boston, and New Orleans.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank VermontMark24
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We visited Charela Inn for a week in July (17-25), myself, husband and four-year old daughter. We have been visiting this hotel for almost ten years now. We stayed in a ground level sea view room that had been recently remodeled. The room was very nice, had two queen beds, a small sitting area and a patio with a small table and chairs and a walkway to the beach. It was ocean view. We were pleased with the room, but thought the bathroom was a little too basic looking for such a pretty room.

We were on the MAP plan which includes breakfast and dinner and was free for for our daughter. The only thing not included were drinks, all drinks, even soda and juice. We enjoyed the food very much as we always do. The breakfast included pretty much anything you wanted, fruit, coffee. tea, juice, toast and pastries, eggs, bacon, french toast, etc...all good, and Francella made me fresh mint tea each day which I brought back to my room to put in the fridge so I could have iced tea...delicious. The dinners are all five course, an appetizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert and they will substitute pretty much anything to make you happy.

The grounds were well kept, pool clean (and we used it a lot), and despite a previous poster's comments, the hotel was very welcoming to a friend of ours who visited us one day. In fairness to the hotel, they know our friend through us for over ten years as well. The beach was spotless and Clive, who works the beach, always made sure we had our chairs and towels. There were shows on Thursday and Saturday, which were very nice relaxing shows with local musicians.

Overall, we were happy with our stay and must give due to the wonderful restaurant staff that welcomes us every year like family and treats us like royalty...nothing is too much ask...and they even catered to my little one, which was wonderful. They served us rooms service countless times when table dining became too boring for our little one. They do claim to have wireless, but it is very poor...we did however pick up the hotel next door with no problem every day. There are some ants around, after all it is a tropical area...no more than you would expect...oh yes, the beds are HARD, always have been, so be prepared!

I would like to note a few observations I made about Negril on this trip, and they are in no way a reflection on the hotel, but may be of interest to people reading this review. There were TONS of jellyfish in the water, so much that we could not really swim in it and this was very disappointing because we have been traveling to Negril for 13 years, during all seasons, and NEVER encountered a jellyfish, even though we were sure they were around somewhere, they were never a nuisance or noticable...we always looked forward to spending hours in the water, hunting starfish, crabs and other sea life...we did not get to do that this time. We even decided not to do a boat trip as we always do in fear of the jellys...we were all stung, me twice, as were all of the other guests we spoke to. In addition, we found the area to be a bit more expensive than the in past, for things like jerk chicken and souvenirs, a result of the sagging economy no doubt. If you do visit the area, be sure to see Sandra next door for great braids and massage and the young man who sells delicious baked goods on the beach...fresh and delish...I forgot his name though, but he is the only one with baked goods. If you do choose to visit Negril, Charela is a solid choice, but in my years of visiting there, I can share that the rooms vary greatly, some quite beautiful and some very basic, for no general reason and sometimes within the same category, one room may be way nicer than another..if you get a room you don't like, ask for a new one, or request a remodeled room when you book. Generally, I have found the garden and family rooms to be very basic and the front building rooms to be much better. Just a tip. Oh yes, and they have a cliff location as well that guests can use, but we couldn't because they don't allow children due to the fact that nudity is allowed there. Please feel free to private message if you have any questions.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family