“My place- above all else”
Review of Rondel Village

Rondel Village
Ranked #31 of 80 Hotels in Negril
katzy3
“My place- above all else”
Reviewed 6 March 2008

I brought my girlfriend for her first trip to Jamaica in May, 2007. After spending several vacations with my family in the past 27 years at Rondel, I knew this was the place to come back to. For the price and the people, there is no better spot. If you are a resort kind of person, this is not for you. If you are low maintenance, enjoy the people, and can handle the beach peddlers, then come here. We were on a budget and we easily stayed within it here.
Be specific when making your reservation, require your room be on the beach side, otherwise the appeal is not there. Clive at the bar is the man, and Donna is very helpful in the office. I sent her ten emails previous to our arrival and really bugged her about our room, she was delightful and helpful.
I love Jamaica, when it is cold in Chicago, my heart is in Negril. Rondel is the smart place to stay.

• Liked — The beach and the atmosphere
  • Disliked — Food choices could be better
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank katzy3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Ontario
Reviewed 4 March 2008

This was our third time to Negril and the first time to Rondel. The room was kept very clean and was large for the room rate. The only complaint was that we had the Cantelope Room which faced the street. Many nights the noise from the Jungle across the street was very loud. The air conditioner was very loud as well. The grounds were kept very well. The staff was very pleasant. The food at Irie on the Beach was good - especially the shrimp omelete and seafood pasta. I never saw anyone in the small pool or hot tub and it too was very clean.

The majority of the hagglers were pleasant if you respectfullly said "NO". Because this section of beach is fairly narrow they get to you very easily and the security does not ask them to leave very often. That can be annoying after awhile.

I would stay here again but get the larger one bedroom which is quite spacious with its own plunge pool.

We had a wonderful dinner at the Rockhouse - call for a reservation and they will pick you up for free. We had a wonderful dinner at Kuyaba - call for a reservation and they will pick up and drive you back for free. We also had good seafood at Cosmos. Try Montana's across the street for reasonable meals. Miss Sonia's and Selina's are great choices as well. Make sure you get patties from the patty man driving gthebicycle on the beach for 80J each.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank Queencarib
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 3 March 2008

My husband and I stayed at Rondel from February 26 to March 1st . The rooms were clean and bright; the housekeeping staff friendly and attentive and security was top notch. Food was for the most part above average and reasonably priced. Red Stripe was also cheap at the bar. All the bartenders were very friendly; especially "Crazy" who served a wicked rum Mudslide. Carl and Johno were attentive security who took care of all of our needs and was always watching to ensure that guests were not harassed on the beach. Rondel is centrally located and is within an easy walk to many other great restaurants and bars. Be sure to try Kuyaba for a meal and also Niyas patties which are made by hand and cooked over an open fire while you wait. There is an internet available at a reasonable cost and the front desk can also exchange American or Canadian money into Jamaican; although not at a rate as good as the Cambio. Make sure you do not lose your safe key; as the front desk staff were quick to warn that a $75.00 charge would apply if you lose the key. All in all, great value for the dollar.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness and friendly hotel staff
  • Disliked — Bar and restaurant area could be updated with some more shaded areas.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CoolShade
UK
Reviewed 26 February 2008

Maybe because I am used to be in an all inclusive hotel where the staff are always happy to help and smiling, I find myself at this hotel with a member of my family for 7 days. The hotel was quite clean and tidy, air con., very noisey, staff could be more nicer. We went to the bar only twice because whenever we were there, there was always the local hangers-on asking for drinks which we found very annoying. When we ignored them they had a threatening attitude thus we only went there twice. As close as the beach was to the hotel we did not go on it because we felt threatened. We have stayed at the Beaches further down three times before and I should say, I would not stay at the Rondel Village again unless they tightened their security up. Stop the people from harassing guests at the bar and if they did this, everything would be ok. The only good thing I would say is that they had a gentleman at the gate which was very pleasant to speak to, he told us how to get from A to B with ease. If all their employees were this pleasant it would make the hotel a good placed to stay. Beware of the locals boys who uses the bar as they can get quite aggressive if you don't buy them drinks.

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank Londonsoutheast
Boston
Reviewed 18 January 2008

Just returned from a short trip to Jamaica and loved it. Having never been to Jamaica I wasnt sure what to expect. I researched Rondel Village using this site and others and found it to be a great property. The hotel itself isnt that big which I think adds to the charm. The setting is beautiful. We stayed on the beach side and of the villas were surrounded by tropical gardens. The pool though small was set perfectly in the middle of the property. Our room actually faced the pool directly which was great. There was also a jacuzzi which was nice as well. Make your way through the maze of gardens and it will lead you to the beach and the restaurant. The restaurant was nice but a bit overpriced. You can easily spend $40usd on lunch including tip however the food was good. The beach area is clean and has security at all times. You will be offered mariijauna if you are walking the beach as you are in Jamaica so be prepared. A polite no will suffice.

The rooms are decorated nicely. We had a superior room which featured a comfortable queen sized bed, cable television, a cd player/boombox and an oversized balcony. The bathroom was large- actually it was 2 rooms. You walk in the an area where the sink is and then to another room where the toilet and shower were located. The room also featured hardwood floors and plenty of sunlight from its many windows. The staff is courteous and friendly and we never had any problems while there. However don't let them book a cab for you as you will be overcharged. Simply walk out the front entrance and onto the road and you will easily get a cab. I never payed more than $5usd to go anywhere in Negril. The hotel is centrally located and if you wanted to can walk to anything. I'd definitely reccomend Rondel Village for quiet relaxing vacation

• Liked — Location, beach
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kingoftravelin
England
Reviewed 11 January 2008

This was my first vist to Jamaica and the plan was to have a well earned rest and meet my partners family, for the first time, over the xmas holiday.
After a delayed flight from Gatwick to Kingston and then a connecting flight to Mo'bay, it was a delight to meet Alton our Tourwise hotel transfer bus driver, he gave us a potted history of the island and some top advice. We also had a Red Stripe stop on route! We made a couple of drops to the big Riu Resorts and to be honest although they were fancy and shiney I wasn't that impressed and hoped our hotel was not going to be like them. We arrived at the Rondel, check in was easy but remeber you need a $100 cash or credit card for the room deposit (returned when you depart) and $3 a night to hire the safety deposit box. The security guard took us over to the garden side to our room. All the rooms are named after fruit, no numbers here! WOW it was so cute. the accommodation is well used but it is clean, tidy and suprisingly spacious. The four buildings that make up the eight garden side rooms surround a swimming pool and jacuzi, both of these we had to our selves most of the time. The Hotel restaurant is nothing fancy but its on the beach and the food is good and not too expensive. We ate very cheaply most evenings by puchasing salad from Cynthia who delivers to the hotels and restaurants on wednesdays and fridays and buying some Jerk chicken from the guys who line the street every evening. If you want real Jamaican food try the Sweet Spot open 8/9am to 8pm, not even a 5 min walk towards Negil Centre on the main road, it's where all the taxi drivers, bus drivers and locals eat. All food is cooked fresh and they start to sell out around 10am, choose from chicken curry, stew chicken, fried dumplings, banana porridge, fresh fruit juices and lots more, for two of us it was about $700JA. Rondel Village is right in the middle of 7 Mile beach.
The only dissapointment was a couple of members of the reception staff, they could do to go on a customer service course but the guys who work on guard and the bar staff are all really helpful and helped to make my stay at the Rondell Village excellent.
We hired a car from Happy World and managed to knock down the price to $70 a day ($80 seems to be average).
TOP TIP: if your staying at Rondel Village don't bother packing towels as both bath and beach towels are provided.
If you want a massage go see Jacky on the beach outside the Charela Inn. She is gifted!
I had a wonderful time. If I get to visit Negril again I'd stay at the Rondel Village no question. I hope you have a great time too!

• Liked — Lots of space in the room. Very attractive, well kept grounds.
  • Disliked — Next door to a Night Club, The Jungle, but it was not open every night, only heard it once after midnight!
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ruthieb76
TravelingKris
Reviewed 4 January 2008

The grounds were lush like many others have said and the room was clean. I did not like that I had to ask 3 times for more than one towel per person, the air conditioner was very loud and did not work too well, the cable was fuzzy on all channels, and the staff did not warn us to not walk on the beach at night. We were robbed at gunpoint which is not the hotels fault but they could have told us that there were other incidents like this on the beach. Security did not do a good job of keeping the vendors away. I also did not like the restaurant on site. The breakfast was good but that was it. Everything else I ate was just so so in taste. It was expensive also.

• Liked — it was cheap
  • Disliked — lack of security
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends