“My Terrible stay at Rondel Village Sept 2012”
Review of Rondel Village

Rondel Village
Ranked #34 of 81 Hotels in Negril
London, United Kingdom
“My Terrible stay at Rondel Village Sept 2012”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

On our arrival at the Rondel Village we of course went to check in and was told by the receptionist that we had to pay either $100 or £100 by credit card or the equivalent in JMD (which we ended up paying) to be enable us to check into our rooms, they said they would pay this back once we were ready to check out on the last day. I then called my travel agent as of course I was annoyed at not being advised that we would have to make payment to check in rather than the usual taking card details in case of any damage towards the room etc. My agent advised they had no idea....so seems Rondel were pulling a fast one on us. We were kindly taken to our room by one of the security staff and he made sure all our luggage was taken up and even showed us around the village on the first night.

The following day we decided to eat the food from the Rondel and I ordered curry goat with rice and peas and "vegetables". This took them around 3 years to prepare and once we received out food it was very disappointing and certainly not worth the long wait. To top it off I was severely unwell that night and the following day so much so I tried to complain to the Manager and did not see her for dust...even before checking out! As I got so ill I happened to mention it to the lovely security guard who helped us out so much during our stay and he mentioned this to the manager and said that i would like to have words with her and we then found out a day before we were due to leave that they had sacked him as a result.

The sinister-ness did not end there. We noticed that they had started to put up CCTV in the bar (beachside) as word got round that we were getting in take-aways. It then felt like being in Big Brother rather than a reputable hotel.

During our stay we also had major problems with breakfast. On our first day one of the hotel staff advised that we had a "budget" per head of $9 per day and any thing over we would have to pay. Again this was not advised and again had to call my travel agent to confirm. We ended up over paying on a few occasions and then managed to stay within the budget of $9 per head. One of the days I called down to the restaurant to order breaky as it took an hour and a half to prepare....even though the menu consisted of Omelettes and just a "Caribbean" breakfast. So, when speaking to this kitchen staff on the phone he grumbled to me that our budget changed to $7 per day (which buys nothing) and that anything over that we would have to pay. I then straight away contacted my agent and again they had no idea and they then sent another stern email to the tour operator in Jamaica. We basically paid for breakfast and "breakfast IS breakfast" we should not have been charged for anything. We then tried to see the manager but again she took the cowards way out and left it to her reception staff to sort out. After battling with them and them trying to say that we should have been showed a special breakfast menu that was "in the budget" we got a full refund on our last day and of course we thought it was the end of it until they sacked the security guard who had been working there for a year and a half.

A week into the stay I happened to be in my room and had a visit from the cleaner with a dirty rag that reception had told her to inform us that we had to pay for as they could not wash it. It was a foot towel I used to clean the floor with as being beach side sand would of course get on the floors. I then washed the towel out with my wash and got it clean. So the cleaner advised them not to charge us for it.

All in all I would not stay at this hotel again. The food was under whelming, cold, greasy and tasteless. We witnessed other guest sending food back to the kitchen and realised we were not the only ones getting in the takeaway. We also had to deal with one of the kitchen staff cussing us out and forever spying through the window during breakfast. I would not advise anyone to stay here and especially not to go all inclusive as you will probably have the runs for the whole holiday and have reception staff laugh at you when you complain about any issues you may have. They are not serious and for some reason they had a certificate on the wall from Trip Advisor.......I don’t get it??

Another point to add is if you are looking for a good nights sleep on a Thursday night (or Saturday if you happen to be in) forget it as the Jungle Club is right next door and feels like you are inside the Club. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: stay in another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank MissSCD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Reviewed 4 October 2012

.....the beach is disappearing....it is 1/4 as wide as in 1990....in one or two places on the beach the water is up to the base of the buildings. Rondel is an older place in good condition. Restaurant is good with below avg prices. Staff is polite and helpful.

3 Thank chchazz
NY
Reviewed 29 September 2012

It is wonderful to arrive at Rondel after the ride from Montego Bay and get a hug from security. We rented a beachfront room and a beachfront one bedroom villa. Love the new flat screen TVs in both rooms. We also liked the new duvet in the one bedroom and the new coffee maker in the one bedroom villa. Every year we see new updates at Rondel. We enjoyed the on site restaurant that is now run by Rondel.
One thing that is the same at Rondel every visit is the always excellent staff. Security, bartenders, housekeeping, gardeners, maintenance, they are all wonderful people and we look forward to seeing them year after year.
We had one issue with a leaking AC that was reported by the maid as soon as it happened and fixed immediately, they even fixed the shower head that we had assumed needed to be replaced but just needed a quick cleaning. If you have bad shower pressure, tell someone and it will be fixed quickly.
They are always updating and maintaining the property. We look forward to seeing it next summer!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank sixcatstoo
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The hotel grounds are well kept and the staff is very friendly. Our hotel room was very clean and had cold A/C, internet, TV, large bathroom, clean bedding, refrigerator, pretty much everything that we were looking for. The pool and hot tub are clean and functional.

As with anywhere in Jamaica, the beach hustlers are relentless and a private walk down the beach is near impossible, but this can all be avoided if you stay within the fenced in portion of the hotel beach.

The nearby Jungle Nightclub is pretty noisy at night, but I don't think it went past 2AM (Thurs / Sat).

4 Thank David G
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Wonderful hotel. We stayed for four nights and had our wedding all catered for and it was wonderful, all we had to do was turn up. We had two rooms and the kids thoroughly enjoyed it. Very nice for family. We did not eat at the restaurant but had drinks at the bar. However we thought the drinks were a bit pricy.
Management and staff were very friendly and welcoming. Rooms were clean and tidy.

Negative - The pool could be a bit bigger and hot tub needs to be updated.

Note you will need a deposit for your room keys.

Room Tip: If you require quiet book the back rooms on the beach side as the Jungle nightclub is at the front f...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole L
Delran, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Just left the village. I enjoyed myself truly. The islanders, security and receptionist were welcoming. Cons: lobby closes at 9:30pm, housekeepers have to count all towels that she is replacing before giving you any, Mosquitos are horrible( keep your air conditioner on and mosquito spray handy), if you have a visitor,they don't tell you that you have to pay for them to enter until they leave, security drinks alcohol while on duty,meals are so small and on off seasons there is not a great a lot to choice from, and the worst upon check out they had to check the villa before we checked out and the maid called back and said we were missing a " spoon"!!!! Are you seriou I stayed there for 5 nights over $1100 I spent and you say you are missing a damn spoon. They wanted to charge me and my husband $170 Jamaican dollars but they never counted all spoons and towels with us on our arrival. I know the season is off but you really want to talk about a missing spoon. Just the idea of that makes me not want to return again. I planned on coming here with my job and rent two villas but I will look into another hotel on the seven mile beach. Pros: I really loved the time I spent in Negril despite the "missing" spoon. K

4 Thank Dot1975
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Visiting Jamiaca means visiting Negril. When in Negril, nothing beats the villa's right at the beach. My first visit was in 1991 and I have just been back. Make sure to try to get the villa's with the ocean view, by far they are the best. Some additions in the kitchen might be good, wash linen, cleaning materials etc. It is a small family run operation. My regards and respect are for Joyce, the lady of the house, and her son and daughters. I can't wait to be back!

Room Tip: Go for the beach view!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family